Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chapter 62 "Regular" Discussion Thread For First Time Readers (and Others)
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Manga
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Nepharski
First time FMA manga readers, please post your thoughts and discussions on chapter 62 here. smile.gif

For info on the "Reading Reference", go to page 8.

===============

Content discussion starts on page 3!!

~ Chapter 62 countdown and predictions ~

"Marty! You've got to come back with me!"

"Back? Where?"

"Back to the future!"

Enough history class for now. With the narrative of the Ishbal Campaign (seemingly) wrapped up, eyes and pens look ahead to Edward and Alphonse's current situation, amongst others. Will Marcoh be spared, or has the judgement of God finally come? What truth did Scar's brother leave behind, and what madness has consumed Kimbley? What fates will befall Mustang's men? Where is Hohenheim traveling? Are drinks on the house?

*Shrugs.*

How knows? Only Arakawa for now. Till then, let's sit back and collectively try out patiences waiting for the elusive Chapter 62.
sachiko hyuuchi
It'll be about a MONTH and then chapter 62's out..
-sigh-
unlike Naruto in which a new chapter comes out once in a week (over 300 chapters ... @_@) FMA should come out sooner.. don't you think?
lol I know A LOT of people do
Reika
I think it's fine, if it was a weakly release, the drawings and story's cuality would be lower, it's more stress for the author and all. I know it's really sickening and suffering XD to wait for a whole month, but it's ok with me if that makes Arakawa-sensei to give her best.
Colette
Nah, a month is good. Just be grateful the wait isn't longer.
Nepharski
QUOTE(sachiko hyuuchi @ Aug 2 2006, 01:19 PM) [snapback]428431[/snapback]
unlike Naruto in which a new chapter comes out once in a week (over 300 chapters ... @_@) FMA should come out sooner.. don't you think?

Perhaps, but then what, exactly, is the length and quality of Naruto chapters?
ElvishVamp
QUOTE(Nepharski @ Aug 2 2006, 07:48 PM) [snapback]428494[/snapback]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Naruto chapters are somewhere between 15 and 20 pages each. However, a single fight in Naruto can last over 10 chapters! Maybe I'm exagerating a bit, but I honestly don't think I am. I haven't read it in a while.

Personally, I'd rather wait a month for a 40 page chapter than a week for a 15 page one. I don't think the story would flow as well if the chapters were that short.
Nepharski
QUOTE(ElvishVamp @ Aug 2 2006, 07:32 PM) [snapback]428541[/snapback]

QUOTE(Nepharski @ Aug 2 2006, 07:48 PM) [snapback]428494[/snapback]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Naruto chapters are somewhere between 15 and 20 pages each. However, a single fight in Naruto can last over 10 chapters! Maybe I'm exagerating a bit, but I honestly don't think I am. I haven't read it in a while.

Personally, I'd rather wait a month for a 40 page chapter than a week for a 15 page one. I don't think the story would flow as well if the chapters were that short.

Precisely my point.
Reika
yeah, I actually tired of waiting for naruto chapters, since the emotion of the battle is lost in between the chapters. Now I wait months before I read the Naruto manga, and still, even if the drawings are good, there's no use of "tramas" and such, just black and white. I've also read chapters of 12 pages.
Aoko-chan
QUOTE(ElvishVamp @ Aug 3 2006, 09:32 AM) [snapback]428541[/snapback]

I agree. Arakawa has time to think out the plot, the story, the dialogues and such over the period of one month. There is less stress on her, and the quality is VERY good. I'm fine with waiting a month. (Although I won't be near a computer until the 14th, so 4 + days addtional to my one month of waiting *sighs*)
I'm very anxious about Marcho's, and Roy Mustang & co.'s fate. (and everything that Nepharski mentioned)*sits and waits patiently*
Reika
my biggest worry's for Riza's fate right now, and Hoho :s
Tombow
Off course I'm worried about the fate of Roy, Riza, and the gang.
And, yeah, I'm also curious how Marcoh-Scar thing will develop!!
And, I'd love to see Gling again!! biggrin.gif
Reika
yeah! I almost forgot about him XD I want to know more about GLing too
Shadow Wulfe
Why 62? I thought 59 was the latest?
Reika
nop, 61 is the latest
Tombow
@Shadow Wulfe - We had chapter 61 last month, and we are waiting for chapter 62, which will is scheduled to come out in Japan in about one week.

You can read about the last chapter (chapter 61) on our Chapter 61 Spoiler party thread. biggrin.gif
Antimony
I'll be out of town on the release date, but I don't mind because I'm going to Florida for three days! By the time I come home the scanlation should be done and posted (hopefully).
Shadow Wulfe
Thanks for the tip Tombow!

Hopefully all that scanlation stuff will be finished soon...
MonsterEnvy
This thread is moving rather slowly... I suppose that there isn't really much to discuss.

As far as I can see, the only future we can speculate on is Marcoh's. I think that his part is played, and he'll be killed by Scar. If he isn't, then be sure to watch for him- he'll have a major part to play. The only way I can see him living otherwise is if he plays a role similar to Hughes- allowing him to live will develop/change Scar's character, just as Hughes' death changed Ed, Al, and Roy. It was more rbvious in the anime, but no less true in the manga.

I also think that in two or three chapters, a lot will be revealed about the nature of alchemy and perhaps confirm or deny our various theories concerning elemental tattoos and ougonjutsu. Something to look forward to!

This thread is moving rather slowly... I suppose that there isn't really much to discuss.

As far as I can see, the only future we can speculate on is Marcoh's. I think that his part is played, and he'll be killed by Scar. If he isn't, then be sure to watch for him- he'll have a major part to play. The only way I can see him living otherwise is if he plays a role similar to Hughes- allowing him to live will develop/change Scar's character, just as Hughes' death changed Ed, Al, and Roy. It was more obvious in the anime, but no less true in the manga.

I also think that in two or three chapters, a lot will be revealed about the nature of alchemy and perhaps confirm or deny our various theories concerning elemental tattoos and ougonjutsu. Something to look forward to!
bemused_non-alchemist
Haven't been following the action in the forums for some time... but anyway. Nice summary, Nepharski.

I get this feeling there'll be a fast forward, maybe midway in the next chapter? Because Ed, Al and Roy have come to a bit of a dead end in their struggles against the homonculi (think hostages and thinly veiled threats) so there probably won't be much action until Mei and Scar team up with the Side of Good and come up with some method to kick Father @ss.

I think, anyway. Besides, that would give time for Lan Fan to get her automail and for Ed to turn 16. (His birthday's in winter, I saw somewhere.)
Reika
THE RAW IS OUT!!!!!!!!!!

YOU CAN FIND IT HERE:
http://tokyotosho.com/
Colette
...T_T

Mustn't...look...

Thanks for posting it though
Reika
OMG THE PURE ROYAINESS I'M GONNA CRY FROM HAPPINESS!!!!!!!!!! THANKS ARAKAWA-SENSEI!!!! YOU ARE GOD!!!!! AND I LAUGHED HARD LOL!!! XD
Colette
>_< Darnit Reika!

I still refuse to look until the translations come out!

*storms off*

Kidding <3
Automne
QUOTE(Summoner Colette Posted Today @ 04:05 PM)
...T_T

Mustn't...look...

Toooooo bad! I think you're really missing something you might love. *taunts* tongue.gif
paca
Kasumi posted this chapter 62 (send space)
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kirara
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ysnxup

Here you go. This chapter is so amazingly awesome (seriously freaking out from happiness).
oneangredwarf
YESSS!!! cant wait till i understand what it means~! seriously it felt like years waiting for this i cant wait~!
-liz
Reika
I LOVED this chappy lol xD
paca
too much dialogue to understand a raw version @_________@.
AA battery
QUOTE(Nepharski @ Aug 2 2006, 04:48 PM) [snapback]428494[/snapback]

pwned. That's why I stopped chasing after Naruto manga. (I read them all at once like... every 3 months. Speaking of that... last chapter I read was Sasuke reappearing in that lame outfit, and ever since that I haven't read a next chapter XDDDDD)

chap 62 is here yay! <--- spam.
paca
translation (text) have started XD!!!
Colette
QUOTE(SinLuxuria @ Aug 10 2006, 04:24 PM) [snapback]430954[/snapback]

QUOTE(Summoner Colette Posted Today @ 04:05 PM)
...T_T

Mustn't...look...

Toooooo bad! I think you're really missing something you might love. *taunts* tongue.gif

Oh yeah, I saw that part >___>

BUT THAT'S THE ONLY PART I LOOKED AT, KAY?!

tongue.gif

Oh yes, and I have a message from myself and other AlxMei fans:

We told you so!

>D
paca
^that pages are (one translated ^__^) and the other in progress >____<!!!!!
Tombow
Oh!!! Thank you Kirara and Paca!!

This chapter is SOOOOOO good!!
Lots of happenings!!

And, touching scenes, funny scenes, new developments, etc., etc.!!!

AlxMei fans, rejoice!!! biggrin.gif
Royai fans, emotional scene!!

Also,
Ed realizes that duringthe time they couuld not use their Alchemy, Mei and Scar could use theirs.

Men, so much stuff in this chapter, it's packed full of great content!!
I am in Hagaren heaven!! biggrin.gif

ETA: Should someone starts a chap 62 spoiler party thread???
(I so wanna talk about the contents of this chapter freely!!! happy.gif)
Sensenic
QUOTE (armor-alchemist @ Aug 11 2006, 02:32 AM) *
QUOTE (Nepharski @ Aug 2 2006, 04:48 PM) *

QUOTE (sachiko hyuuchi @ Aug 2 2006, 01:19 PM) *

pwned. That's why I stopped chasing after Naruto manga. (I read them all at once like... every 3 months. Speaking of that... last chapter I read was Sasuke reappearing in that lame outfit, and ever since that I haven't read a next chapter XDDDDD)

Oh, it's gotten quite a bit more interesting now, due to Asuma Who, as I thought, turned out to be indeed the 3rd Hokage's son
badassness, and, most of all, new Akatsuki, jinchuuriki and bijuu badassness.

You get to see 2 new akatsukis in action, Deidara, now teamed with Tobi, who have officially become "Akatsuki's official clowns" XD, both the nibi and its jinchuuriki and the jinchuuriki-less sanbi bijuu.
Oh, and ALL of the akatsukis, in full color (the 2 still missing ones only their back is shown, tho' The remaining one has sth blue in the head -doesnt seem like hair to me- and the leader is red-haired).

Sorry for the offtopic, but couldn't help myself. This is going to move into the spoiler thread anyways...
Sensenic
~ Chapter 62 Manga Spoiler Party Thread!, Beyond the dream! ~

Since I just download'd and read it (at work, but I certainly couldn't wait), I thought I'd start this one masel this time.

So, after the badass (north-themed!) cover, what do we have?

Some ethical discussion involving Ed and Riza, no can quite understand... (and will wait till scanlation to read it in English, to make it more enjoyable)
( >.<)--o
With Ed telling Riza that they should seek their own happiness too, not only the next generation's whatsoever, and Riza telling Ed that there's surely many people who want to see the brothers with their bodies back (how nice)

Al (successfully) picking on Mei! XDD "I'm taller than my brother!" "And I have a gentle face!" "And I have golden short hair!" "And I'm better at fighting than my brother, but I'm not as much short-tempered! I'm more of a gentleman (sic)!"
XDDDD

LOLness. Certainly after the Ishval chapters, the hilariousness is certainly welcome back... happy.gif

Afterwards, Ed and Al... eh.. in Spanish we say "haciendo puesta en común"... telling each other what they have learnt, that'd be it happy.gifU

Al remembers about the apple pie! (since I just got volumes 11-14, I'm rereading the whole manga, and all those flashback scenes et al in this chapter were really fresh to me. Nice!)
They decide, then, to have a chat with Mei Chang (mame onna - bean girl Ed keeps calling her XD), no surprises here.

Scar doesn't kill Marcoh! ("like I'd let you get get away by just mercifully killing you!" ph33r teh scarman!) Also quite expected. Instead he told him about that "sth strange about this country's alchemy" line, and asked him to read some part of his brother's reasearch notes that he couldn't understand. yay!
Scar: "We're going away, so get nekkid"
Marcoh: "Eh?!"} (ºAº )
XDD
And they get away from there "with a VENGEANCE" (LOL)
Envy is fooled by Scar's plan, but Daddy is not.

What else?
Mei Chang is a little naive/stupid, ain't she? happy.gifU
Knox: "What are you doing going around with a serial killer?!"} \(`A´ )/
Mei: "Isn't he a good person?"} (·_. )

Ed talks about using his State Alchemist privileges to find Mei... and a reference to that old yonkoma "then what is all this "money and power" good for, eh?"
Al: "But the hommunculi will notice"
Ed: "Oh, you're rite. As expected from you Al, always calm-minded"
Al: "Of course, Im cooler than you"
(Now, now, isn't Al getting kind of rebel as of late?)

Mei Chang is told about Marcoh making Philosopher's Stones and she pulls a Ling: "Immortality?!" XD

Marcoh: "It could get troublesome if military people recognise me" (note: he doesn't actually say that. In fact, he says nothing before....)
Scar: "here, lemme help you" *splorch*
"Mei, stop his bleeding, but leave him faceless..."
ph33r teh Scar indeed. Poor, poor Marcoh sad.gif

And the most important revelation on this chapter?!
Scar: "We're going"
Yoki: "where to?"
Scar: "Where I hid my brother's research notes."
Yoki: "And where would that be?"
Scar: North (Do I see a pattern here? tongue.gif)

And, to finish, military-team touching farewells sad.gif
and an unexpected ally! Also, we get to see where did Roy get his "disguise everything I do as ladies' man actions" tactics come from! O_O ohmy.gif
Come to think of it, when Roy went to Central he thanked the old man Grumman for all that he taught him... Now we see it was certainly NOT a retorical phrase...

EDIT: Oh, and on the last panel, LOL @ Ed's POV...

m(__)m
But for some reason this chapter felt kind of short... ME WANT MOAR!!

EDIT2: Renamed it "Beyond the dream" as per CSakuraS translation. "After" sounded kinda wrong...
Tombow
Hey, thanks Sensenic for starting the spoiler party!!

This chapter is awsome!!
Welcome change from dark and heavy Ishval flashback chapters!!

The cover.. yes!! I agree, it's badass (and north-themed)!!
And, caption reads... "Show me the path of hope"
Hmmm...Very suggestive??
(Yap, I think the content of this chapter is riddled with stuff that may lead to "lays of hope" in the bad situation for Ed & Al, Roy & the gang, and Scar & Mei who are now accompanied by Marcho... but, I'm getting ahead...
The cover rocks!! And, Ed (throughout the chapter) looks so much more mature!!
(Except in the funny scenes.. laugh.gif )

Riza and Ed's conversation... Riza talking about Riza, and Roy and Houghes, and others sacrificing their generation, for the happiness of the coming generation, and paralelling Ed having done the same for Al... and Ed scolding Riza for her way of thinking, and Al scolding Ed for what he did... then Ed and Riza both reminding others to seek own happiness as well... Nice conversation!!

Meantime, Al was also listning to Ishval stories, fromk Knox. Then, after telling all that story of meaningless killing and death, Knox tells Mei and RanFan not to fight... "I don't want to see kids killing each other." Awww.
And, Mei looks so cute taking his words.

Mei asks Al his name, and that leads to very funny scenes of Al comparing himself to Ed!! laugh.gif
And then Mei finding the next dream date in Al's missing body!!
(Yes, AlxMei fans, rejoice!!! biggrin.gif )

On the way home, Al runs into Ed who was heading for Knox's.
They exchange what each learned, and Ed asks Al what he wants to do AFTER they obtain the current goal and when Al gets his body back, such as, his dream for his future kind of stuff, and Al answers that he wants to eat Apple pie!!!
Ed laughs, but I thought that was sooo sad, reminding me of Al's current "bodyless" condition, which we all got so used to it, and "taking it granted" by now.
Awww... a simple thing, like "tasting" Winry's home-baked apple pie is Al's dream!! sad.gif

And them Ed realizes about Mei, that she and Scar could use their alchemy while Ed and Al couldn't!!Ed wants to find out more about it from Mei!!

Meantime, Scar wants to know more about Kimblee from Marcho.
And, Scar wants Marcho's help deciphering his brother's research, about him mentioning that something is wrong with Ameristris's alchemy, so decide to drag Marcho to where he hid his brother' research notes ..(to the "north"!!!)
Later, Scar destroying Marcho's face so that he will be unrecognized... Wow, Scar is so extreme!!

And then Ed finding out that Mei had left Knox's, and Ed turning into this evil snake saying "You're not going to get away from me!!" that followed by really funny Ed & Al scene!! Al preaching Ed that they should act more stealthy and unnoticed, while a girl and a mother talking about Al's huge armor body, and how it stands out!!!
Yap, I missed those cartoon Ed and Al moments!! laugh.gif

Meantime, Mei joins up with Scar, and Scar destroying Marcho's face so that he will be unrecognized... Wow, he's so extreme!! (Even tho, it does make sense...)

The scene changes to touching "good-bye"s by Roy and the gang.
Riza telling Roy "Don't die." Awwww.
And, Roy's chess analogy... "Even Queen has been taken away......but, no check mate yet."

Then comes fake skirt-chasing Roy, and the telephone to the General!!

This chapter is scattered with these "lays of hope" moments!!
After these dark Ishval flashback chapters, it's so nice to see all these funny Ed & Al, and feeling optimistic for their fight again.

I LOVE this chapter!! biggrin.gif
Sensenic
QUOTE(Tombow @ Aug 11 2006, 12:06 PM) [snapback]431255[/snapback]

The scene changes to touching "good-bye"s by Roy and the gang.

Give me "Boing"!} ( `A´)

Havoc Rox! XDD
QUOTE(Tombow @ Aug 11 2006, 12:06 PM) [snapback]431255[/snapback]

This chapter is scattered with these "lays of hope" moments!!
After these dark Ishval flashback chapters, it's so nice to see all these funny Ed & Al, and feeling optimistic for their fight again.

I LOVE this chapter!! biggrin.gif

So so true.

And we have two summaries for the chapter now happy.gif
Reika
oh! so it was chekmate! I couldn't read the katakana that was written on it! >.<
Tombow
^^ I know Reika - I had to enlarge the pic to read that one, too!!

QUOTE(Sensenic @ Aug 11 2006, 05:38 AM) [snapback]431259[/snapback]
And we have two summaries for the chapter now happy.gif
Tehehe, basically, I was saying just about the same thing you had already posted. laugh.gif
But, I was so excited about this chapter, I couldn't help!! XXDDD

And, yeah, it was nice seeing the exchange between "I brought you training weights" Breda, and "give me girly mags" Havoc!! biggrin.gif
Kirara
Does it really say the book is in the North? That was one of my many guesses that Scar's bro's book would be the reason the story would move North. So I guess that means that Scar, Mei, Yoki and Marcoh are moving North. I guess somehow Ed and Al will end up following them. Maybe if they locate Mei before they leave.
Sensenic
QUOTE(Kirara @ Aug 11 2006, 01:58 PM) [snapback]431273[/snapback]

I guess somehow Ed and Al will end up following them. Maybe if they locate Mei before they leave.

Certainly.

And I hope they find Mei sooner and find out about her healing rentanjutsu as well... ya know, for poor ol' Jean "Give me boin" Havoc's sake T_T
GS4Life
Aylo!
welp aside my botched engrish...........

Well so now Ed,Al,Mei, and RanFan know about the Ishbal War.
Mei is now in love with Al's original body dry.gif .........................................*Falls of the chair laughing*
Ironically I think she'lll feel the same way about Al's body as Ed(Ya you figured you'd learn yer lesson Mei) or die before she gets the chance to see it.
sad.gif After four monthes of waiting, two pages with RanFan barely on them is not enough to satisfy my endless love and compassion for her. That depresses and a boxing match (let's just no go there for now)me more than anything right now. I'll steal another on of Lord Vader's quotes "I find your lack of faith(Faith,Faith!? Who the hell is she, replace faith with RanFan dang it) <RanFan> disturbing.
X friggin D at Ed's picture of the Panda, it looks just like him on page 29, and when Envy called him short for the fifth time(oops, did I just say that out loud, better stay clear of Ed) .
Who's the chick who seems so happy to see Mustang,eh?
I'll finish off by saying it was nice to see Havoc, though he still in worse condition than everyone else even RanFan(Which is worse having fryed legs or losing an arm?). And for God sake bring the man some girly magizines if he wants them, wether he means Roshi Girly or Girly Girly, does it really matter?.
MonsterEnvy
It feels like I haven't seen you in a while, Sensenic!

that was a really nice chapter. It's ~halfway translated on Csakuras's livejournal.

Marcoh strips for Scar! Someone's got to write a yaoi fanfic...

Finally, Ed tries to learn alchemy from Mei, but, of course, too late. Mei heads north too- I forget, can someone remind me whech of Roy's teaw is there? He'll be seeing some action... Ed and Al still need motivation to follow Scar, Mei, and Hohenheim, but it should be forthcoming in the next chapter as well as the beginning of their journey.

Can anyone enlighten me as to the content of Roy's conversation with the Genseral? I wonder if they said anything important... I feel that with the translation of this chapter, and the next few we'll finally begin to shed some light on Roy's plans.

Plus, the humor in this chapter was great. The MeixAl and the panda thing were hilarious.
Kirara
I believe Falman is the one heading North. smile.gif
Colette
Yup, it's Falmon.

All right, this is the first time I've ever looked at the raw >_> It was worth it. Awesome chapter. When the translations come out, 62 may replace 55 for my favorite chapter.

Still no Greed though....aaargh.

I love Ed's drawing of the panda. tongue.gif and of course, the AlxMei moment. (Slightly spoiled by the hinted AlxWinry, though that pie thing did mak me go "Awwww")
Sensenic
QUOTE(MonsterEnvy @ Aug 11 2006, 05:35 PM) [snapback]431314[/snapback]

It feels like I haven't seen you in a while, Sensenic!

huh.gif {huh?
I've been posting around here rather regularly... I think?

Marcoh strips for Scar! Someone's got to write a yaoi fanfic...

That scene reminded me of Al touching Gluttony's stomach and him blushing XD

freaky pairings indeed ph34r.gif

Can anyone enlighten me as to the content of Roy's conversation with the Genseral? I wonder if they said anything important... I feel that with the translation of this chapter, and the next few we'll finally begin to shed some light on Roy's plans.

Roy does not talk to the General yet.

He asks Lady Christmas (the old lady) to not serve him alcohol, since he's out from hospital and stuff, and instead serve him "that".

Then Grumman receives this call from some woman... And he starts asking for woman names.

The soldier says it's "Lady Christmas" and that interests Grumman (cuz he knows it's Roy, it's the safest bet, ne?). The soldier, I think, asks Grumman to stop using the military lines for personal flirting...
(So we learn GRUMMAN is where Roy got his tactics from!)
And he says, I think, sth on the lines of "I'm glad that an old man like me still catches the ladies' interests" or sth like that. And there ends the scene...
Reika
hahah it would be funny if he actually was roy's grandfather lol
Keoni
This chapter is truely awesome! I love it happy.gif
I really needed a break from the seriousness in the last few chapters.

I've been wondering, since I can't understand much Japanese.. Do we know what's on the piece of paper in that checkpiece? Or is that just another mystery waiting to be revealed?

lol panda drawing laugh.gif
Reika
no, I don't think that's readable lol
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.