Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Animal Testing
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Open Talk > Debate District
Popogeejo
I think it's very usefull for new medicens. I remember hearing of a case where doctors used non-animal tested drugs to help pregnant women. Sadly it caused lots of deformities which could have been prevented if it had been tested.

I don't agree with testing beauty products on animals.

Now let your opinions flow like some opinionated river of opinions...
asunder

Well the big point is making sure that life is held sacred to some extent. There are ethics in research. This being said, i've done both testing on animals and on humans. A lot infact. It's all for the greater good, at least that helps me sleep at night smile.gif . But there are standards/protocols and practices so that the research being conducted isn't barbaric or unjustified.

ἀρχή
I don't tell my hamster about the horrors of the animal testing that goes on where I work. The investigators I have deal with small mice typically, but I have a colleague who's investigator deals with bunnies, rats, mice, and some other small animals.

Look at the evil scientists scheming about what they'll do to these poor little animals laugh.gif (Image taken from IACUC.org)
IPB Image
Penelopa the Pegasus
I think that animal testing should be allowed only when it's really needed. I mean here - medicines, vaccines or so. whenever I hear about a kind of cosmetics or make-up tests, it makes me really sick. Xx If someone wants to test a product which is destined for beauty, here - why doesn't he test it on himself? dry.gif
Automne
I'm totally against it, but I guess that, in some cases, this is really necessary, since testing on humans is forbidden in some specifical cases...However, make-up can be tested on the bitches who can't live without it.
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(SinLuxuria @ Jul 30 2006, 06:28 PM) [snapback]427497[/snapback]

I'm totally against it, but I guess that, in some cases, this is really necessary, since testing on humans is forbidden in some specifical cases...However, make-up can be tested on the bitches who can't live without it.

Looking at this post, coupled with your avatar made me LOL.
Automne
Oopsies...XD
Chiyo
Testing on animals for things like make-up I don't agree with at all. But when it comes to medicine I do believe its needed in some cases. There is only so much you can test on animals before it needs testing on humans but it is worth it.

Animal Rights campaigners can be a sick group. Not sure if you heard about this oversea's, but over here a corpse was dug up and 'hidden' in protest of testing on rodents. The body was of an old woman who had run a farm breeding these animals for experimentation. The body wasn't found for months, but it all happened in my county and the body was found in woodland I have walked in. Testing on animals was sick, but digging up a body was okay for the cause. dry.gif
Roy Jr.
I love animals and I don't really like the knowledge that they are being used for testing.
But i'm not too obbssesed with them to start a campaign against animal testing either.

My point is, animal testing is vital in some cases and they do help man live life better.
They really shouldn't be abused though.(make-up/cosmetics testing)
ἀρχή
The fact is that without human and animal testing, we would not have as much medical information as we have already. I don't consider this a binary issue of yes/no, but rather of a battle of greys. The key is to make sure the protocols involved do not unnecessarily harm people/animals.

Again, however, we do fall into this question of whether it's appropriate for humans to try to heal themselves and whether that is truly a greater good.
CoffeAlchemist
Using it to prolonge human life is nesscasary, but I just don't see why we need to test cosmetics and other stupid things.

See? This is why Animal Rights Activists b*tch about testing on animals.
alchemist x
personally i love animals, but i really dont care wat they do to em with testing,
i mean sure its wrong or whatever to test cosmetics, happy.gif but im happy in my isolate littel space known as my mind knowing that the products i use just grew off a tree, instead of knowing the truth,

ohmy.gif and just an odd fact,
i know how to cure diabetes
happy.gif all ya have to do is replace some pancriatic tissue, ohmy.gif
it only has to be a TINY bit
000_neji
Animal testing should be lessened if cannot be avoided,just think of it as a human being experimented like in the movies. They must choose the animal that have a large population rather than the rare ones like the the pesky rats...
miracle_flame_alchemist147
i agree that sometimes it is vital and useful at the same time but i stronly disagree the use of animal testing for beauty products because beauy products can sometimes cause really harmful effects on the subject, medicine i can take because it really is vital for us but beauty products aren't really a neccesitity for us.
000_neji
It is useful but not always...maybe they must only do it when important...
Le Monkey
QUOTE(Alchey X @ Aug 2 2006, 06:43 AM) [snapback]428269[/snapback]
i know how to cure diabetes
happy.gif all ya have to do is replace some pancriatic tissue, ohmy.gif
it only has to be a TINY bit

Yeah good luck with that....

Animal testing for life saving drugs is I guess the most important testing way.
But testing makup should be done on humans not animals, hell, were the creatures who want to use it, we should test it!
It should be like a prison sentence, "You will spend the next 10 years testing makup for Loriele"[SP??], or something like that, XD
Think of the hardend criminals...
Having thier face plastered in makup for years on end, laugh.gif
000_neji
Animal testing for life saving drugs is I guess the most important testing way.
But testing makup should be done on humans not animals, hell, were the creatures who want to use it, we should test it!
It should be like a prison sentence, "You will spend the next 10 years testing makup for Loriele"[SP??], or something like that, XD
Think of the hardend criminals...
Having thier face plastered in makup for years on end,

That's so exagerrated...a good example...
Le Monkey
QUOTE(000_neji @ Nov 21 2006, 10:38 AM) [snapback]476311[/snapback]
That's so exagerrated...a good example...

Well I thaught I would exagerate before anyone else did, and I do like the idea of it, It might be a good deterant, prison wouldnt be seen as such a "good" place to go to then, XD
Memoria
i am sorta one of these animal rights people that most have at least mentioned in each of the posts. however i am not as extreme (personally i'm more intrested in how they are treated a.k.a the ways in which they are kept (habitats etc)) but even i believe that in cases such as medical advancements can be a good thing.

cosmetics, household goods (bleches, cleaners, floor polish etc) is cruel and unjust. do most animals used even have the same genetic build up as humans anyway?... the only ones i technically know of are infact rats and pigs (i think, don't hold me to that)

like others have said i think that cosmetics should be tested on people as it is us (i use the term loosely... i am a girl but i don't wear makeup) who will be wearing it anyway.
Elle-chan
I think its horrible to test on animals. mad.gif They Have rights
Hagaren_4ever
Aw, I think it's kinda sad that they have to do it. I mean, all life is precious, people, even stupid life. And they're so cute, too! I wouldn't be able to bring myself to inject something into an animal that might kill them, but I can kinda see the other side of the argument as well. I mean, testing is an important part of the process of getting medicine approved. Medicine that saves lives and such. But you know, it's still so sad...
Disasterpiece
History will show that animal testing has led to the eradication and cure to many diseases.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.