Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alphonse - Circles On Gloves?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1) > FMA Conqueror of Shambala Movie
Pages: 1, 2
Sniffy
In conqueror of shambala, Alphonse has transmutation circles on gloves, that let him perform any kind of alchemy without new circles kinda like Ed, what's up with that?

I'm still yet to watch eps 43 - 51, did I miss something?
Popogeejo
Probably common snese, this way he doesn't need to waste time making circles. It's not hard to embroid a seal onto gloves or even tattoo them on the hands.
Colette
I wanna know why he could do a variety of transmutations with one circle. >>
Edamame
QUOTE(Summoner Colette @ Jul 30 2006, 07:06 PM) [snapback]427432[/snapback]

I wanna know why he could do a variety of transmutations with one circle. >>

I was wondering that as well. In my opinion it seemed as though Alphonse had become a more powerful alchemist than his brother. (Transmuting the fountain in the dessert was a bit much) Perhaps seeing the gate had something to do with it, but why then would he need transmutation circles on his gloves?
Penelopa the Pegasus
Hmm. Remember that guy from 4 ep, called Majihal? He also propably could do many kinds of transmutation with just one circle, drawn on that bandana [yes? O_o'] on his wrist. I can't remember was he a State Alchemist, but maybe the mechanism of those gloves' working is similliar?
Popogeejo
Maybe Al's circles are very advanced to allow for more varied abilities.
BladexAlchemist
Al did not join the military. He saw the gate and began to remember everything, thus giving him the knowledge he needs to expand his alchemy. He probably made a circle on his gloves that can do a variety of things. Just becuase He can with his knowledge he now knows. Reason why he needs gloves is becuase he's not like Ed or Izumi, who have both got something taken from them but still had a body. Since Al got his NORMAL human body back with everything BEFORE The human transmutation,He needs gloves. He's not that advanced yet. But he is indeed WAY up there. >.>; but that's just me, I don't know what you guys think. laugh.gif
Reynolds the FullMetal Alchemist
I think they are special circles that he uses wen he wants to transfer part of his soul into the armors.
Miyuki-chan
with the circle he can do anything even control hi-tech robots like in the movie or something ^^;;
InsaneFangirl
QUOTE(sweety_pie @ Jul 31 2006, 10:05 PM) [snapback]427864[/snapback]

fullmetl_alchemistwater have you ever typed, or spelled a day in your life?

I agree. That just hurt my eyes. >_<;;

I was used to the circles on the gloves, but the way he could transmute almost ANYTHING with the same circle confused me, as well. Hmm...maybe a "universal circle"?
Astria
I like the 'universal circle' idea; though I think it might be a bit tricky if you had to account for every possible variable... (and there I go thinking of FMA-esque alchemy as though its real rolleyes.gif ).

I think that Al's gloves are a sort equivalent of Izumi and Ed's ability - clapping is quicker then manually drawing a circle, and therefore a great advantage in combat. Maybe these gloves would be useful things for, say, all State Alchemists to have.
Ed_Inna_Can
Hello this is my fist time posting.

I find this wierd bc there is obviously no single circle that can to anything. Otherwise they wouldn't have to study circles or use specific ones like Mustang uses (I think his actually has a little flame on it and for some reason a lizard...) or Armstrong's. As far as I know these ones can only work for their specific purposes and do nothing else.
The only thing that seems to work for everything is the hand-clapping that Ed uses. Which makes it strange that he had to use an array when he was going to make the pholosiphers stone out of the people this might be because it was very complicated work. But he was going to split Tuckers Chimera using it, which is also complicated.
Surge
Mustang has Circles on his gloves does he not? Why not alphonse? Personally i think the circles on his gloves have something to do with wind because when Armstrong was in lior during the earthqiake he looks as though it's something special when he see's al transmute a tornadoe.
ed's numbuh 1 fan
well...one thing i don't understand [spoiler]is that if in the series Alphonse saw 'The Truth' when Edward touched him, why would'nt he be able to use Alchemy without a circle in his human form....is it because he does'nt remember when he saw the gate since his memories are gone in the movie? ....AH-HA! that must be it a i answered my own question laugh.gif;; ...oops [/spoiler]

Well to the topic though, the reason i think Alphonse wears the gloves, is because i think it's all the 'I want to look like Edward' look , he has the coat ,hair ,gloves, and since he has transmutation cicles on his hands he can transmute without drawing a new circle just like Edward smile.gif
sweety_pie
Al can't do alchemy without a circle because when he got his body back he had lost all his memories of those three years.
Greed貪欲
[spoiler]Al DOES get the ability to do alchemy without circles in the Manga, and for a short time in the anime after becoming the stone.[/spoiler]

So maybe he gets the ability to do alchemy without circles AFTER the movie, if he could keep his memories if he returned to Amestris somehow
Ratzenheich FMA Super fan
My statement may be vague but I think it's because Ed and Al are gifted. They ARE the sons of Hohenheim, who himself is a master alchemist. Another thing, Alphonse may have trained a lot during those two years and Ed might be kinda rusty because he hasn't used alchemy for a long while.
Greed貪欲
QUOTE(Ratzenheich FMA Super fan @ Aug 17 2006, 07:05 AM) [snapback]433764[/snapback]

My statement may be vague but I think it's because Ed and Al are gifted. They ARE the sons of Hohenheim, who himself is a master alchemist. Another thing, Alphonse may have trained a lot during those two years and Ed might be kinda rusty because he hasn't used alchemy for a long while.

Thats true, and watching the 3rd episode over pushes that theory.
BladexAlchemist
Some people may think it's because He wants to be like Ed, sure..but that doesn't explain the circle in particular, it just explains the looks. Lol.

Alphonse uses gloves because He came back as a 10 year old in a normal Human body, with no knowledge of the gate. He so does not remember anything at the time, only the things before his adventures with Edward.

Alphonse later starts to remember His memories and get back the "truth" in which gives him the knowledge to be able to Craft out the circle. Seeing as so it is in a way "universal" he probably made the circle himself. Some may ask "why not ed use gloves then? " because he already uses his body as a rune(transmutation circles) , thus not needing the gloves.

The 7 point transmutation Alphonse crafted in order to open the door, was also another thing he remembered from his memories. Seeing as so he WAS the philosphers stone, and the 7 point transmutation circle appears when Human transmutation is used. Since Alphonse tried to open the gate,( that does involve human lives) the 7 point transmutation circles appeared. Becuase of his Now gained memories.
The Arachnid Alchemist
About "universal" transmutation circles, in the anime Alphonse uses allways the same circle anyway.
I think transmutation circle starts the transmutation reaction, and the alchemist then uses the power to manipulate the shape and components of the object. Ed can't do alchemy without a circle, but since he saw the gate, he can use alchemy just by making the circle by putting his hands together. So the better alchemist you are, more freely you can use the circles.
dahomunculi
hmmm.. maybe, instead of getting the ability to perfrom alchemy without tramsutation circles, he gained the ability to do anything only with one circle!

but.. then again, that's only one of my crazy never-making-sence theories.. ^^;;
BladexAlchemist
Its really all about the knowledge the Alchemist knows. Even if he has the most complicated circle,he wouldn't be able to figure it out without any knowledge. So Alphonse saw the gate, Just like edward. And all memories came back. Even the sense of being the Philosphers stone. Alphonse has a great mind as of now..
Ting
CONTAIN SPOILERS!!!

The circle on Al's glove enable him to use alchemy without drawing them all the time. He gained his body back at the end of the series and is no longer a philosopher's stone anymore, so he had to use the circle to do it all the time. By drawing a circle on his glove, he just need to clap his hand together and do alchemy.
Bader
For all basic alchemy which basically convets one thing into another, an alchemist can use their own personal circle for anything they need. For things that are highly advanced, like making a philosophers stone or performing human transmutation in which you are dealing with a high level of alchemical reactions, you need a special array in order to prevent a rebound, which is why when sealing the humonculi, which for lack of a better word is basically human transmutation, and making the philosophers stone, Ed needed an array to help contain and control the alchemical reaction he was about to create. But otherwise, when an alchemist is training, they have their own personal array that is unique to them, and with that they can do any amount of alchemy they wish.
Meitantei Conan
Well i think that Alphonse that he lost his memories i think that he use to doing that he wants to clap his hands to do alchemy or saw Teacher doing it when he was training alchemy with here
TheEnternalAlchemist
Because he has seen the gate ( he remembered it when he returned to his real body) he does not need a circle at all, however transmutations envalving human transmutation requare a circle weather or not the alchemist has seen the gate
TheSnig
So, at the end when he got his memory back, if he had still been in their world, would he have been able to do alchemy without a circle?
Le Monkey
QUOTE(TheSnig @ Nov 26 2006, 01:53 AM) [snapback]477942[/snapback]
So, at the end when he got his memory back, if he had still been in their world, would he have been able to do alchemy without a circle?

That seems to make sence, as he has memorys coming back.
But we wont ever know! XD
Mikage_Elric
this is confusing... I thought Al regain his body a from the gate and came back. there fore should know the truth about alchemy and use alchemy w/o a circle.
Chiisana
QUOTE(Mikage_Elric @ Nov 30 2006, 10:39 AM) [snapback]479545[/snapback]
this is confusing... I thought Al regain his body a from the gate and came back. there fore should know the truth about alchemy and use alchemy w/o a circle.

But when he regain his body. He did lost his memories right?

Maybe the other told him that Edward could do alchemist by clapping his hand (and form a transmute circle on his hand). And Alphonse want to mimic his lovely brother so he wear gloves with transmutation circle on tongue.gif CLAP CLAP CLAP
Meitantei Conan
QUOTE(TheEnternalAlchemist @ Nov 24 2006, 03:21 PM) [snapback]477447[/snapback]
Because he has seen the gate ( he remembered it when he returned to his real body) he does not need a circle at all, however transmutations envalving human transmutation requare a circle weather or not the alchemist has seen the gate

no he doesn't remember his memories with ed, and he said he woke up after trying to bring mom back
Mercy_Alchemist94
But when he is in the underground city, you see a flashback with Al and Al says something about remembering what happened and what he needed to do to open it... Or it was something like that, I need to see the movie again. -.-'
Kitty Chow
beats me, but I know every state alchemist has one, maybe he became a state alchemist ohmy.gif

otherwise...I don't know ><
Meitantei Conan
QUOTE(Mercy_Alchemist94 @ Dec 4 2006, 09:08 AM) [snapback]480856[/snapback]
But when he is in the underground city, you see a flashback with Al and Al says something about remembering what happened and what he needed to do to open it... Or it was something like that, I need to see the movie again. -.-'

well Al got his memories back in when his soul was still bounded to the Armor and he could clap his Hand like ed.. but when he got his Body back and couldn't remember anything.. so thats y he has Transmutation circle on his gloves to just clap his hand to do Alchemy
Harold the Sage
Did anyone think that maybe he can do alchemy without a transmutation circle, but by running the energy through another circle it increases the alchemic power say ten fold?

EDIT: For Clarification: I meant that by running the Alchemic power he gets from clapping his hands together, then running it through another circle it increases power, meaning only someone who has seen the Truth could do it. [spoiler]Also in episode 22 (i think it's 22) when Ed is about to turn the prisoners into the philosophers stone he claps his hands before going to use the circle.[/spoiler]
Jedi28
In the Anime, it's never stated that Al has ANY memories of actually seeing the gate or learning anything from it. He's able to do alchemy without a circle at the end of the series because of the philosopher's stone (at least he never makes any comments along the lines of "I remember now!" so it's presumably because of the PS). After Alphonse comes back as a human he's lost all memories of the four years that he and Ed spent traveling around, he's also lost the Philosopher's Stone obviously. Apparently someone along the way told him that Ed could do the no circle thing so he created the circles on his gloves so he could do it as well (I'm guessing he saw Mustang's gloves at some point and that gave him the idea). Once he joins Edward in the real world he regains all his memories of the four years that he'd lost, nothing to do with the gate. So according to the Anime at least at no time during the series, after, during the movie or afterward would Alphonse be able to do alchemy without circles, he only did it the one time because of the presence of the PS.

At least that's the way I understood it! smile.gif

NOW, in the MANGA [spoiler] Alphonse gets blood on his blood seal and suddenly remembers everything from when his body was taken by the gate (something that never happens in the Anime). When this occurs he suddenly DOES know how to preform alchemy without a transmutation circle and from this point on in the Manga we see him preforming alchemy several times by clapping his hands together (to the absolute shock and horror of Edward who now believes that Al is way cooler than he is as Al is taller, a better fighter, can do alchemy without circles AND cats like him). smile.gif [/spoiler]
Kenji
If a transmutation circle can increases the alchemic power...then I think every National Alchemists, such as Roy Mustang won't have only ONE transmutation circle on each of his gloves...

Transmutation circle is only a catalyst to perform alchemy, not as something that gives off 'power'.
MidgetinGlasses
Erm...I've always thought that Alphonse wore gloves with circles on them not because he wanted to look like Edward, but because it'd just be darn stupid to decide to draw all your circles in a fight. I think that would probably get you killed. 0.o

Al always uses the same circle in the anime...why couldn't he use the same universal circle in the movie? 8D

Wait...besides regaining his memories at the end of the movie, does Alphonse revert back to his proper age (17) or does he remain twelve? Oh, but if he were fifteen at the end of the anime, and twelve in the movie, and then seventeen at the end (assuming he did turn 17 again), then he would have missed his sixteenth birthday entirely. Poor Al! No sweet sixteen party. D:
Anomia Grey
Midget, i had the smae thoughts on Al's age. Poor Al, one moment he's 13 or 14, then he's 17 and stuck with a whole lot of wird memories in his head, Ed will have to add "amateur shrink" to his growing list of skills (I have a really cute image in my mind of a card with "Edward Elric: Rocketry, Espionage, Alchemy" written on it in intriquate italics biggrin.gif)

So I'm really sorry we didn't get more Al at the end. It would have been nice to see how they would have coped.

By the way, there's one thing I don't get - when exactly did he remember? Was it when Wrath died, and he said something in the lines of "Oh yes now I remember that the gate only opened etc etc"? If you ask me, in the next scenes, where Ed tries to stop him from ressurecting a dead child, Al doesn't act like he remembers his past. I doubt armour!Al, or whatever you want to call him, after having seen so much bloodshed in the late episodes in Lior, and having witnessed how their mother's transmutation had failed, would have tried to bring someone back to life through alchemy again. So maybe he only "remembered" being told about the mechanisms of the Gate. It's not such a crazy idea considering he's spent most of the oast 2 years with Izumi, who's got a pretty good picture of what the boys had been through, and I'm sure Al would have squeezed any drop of information from his friends and teacher about what his lost 4 years had looked like.

So did he regain his memory only when he crossed the Gate to get to our word? If so, it's a pity we didn't get to see him the moment he remembered. I feel Al's character development was kind of overshadowed by Ed's thoghout the movie...
End of the Ouroboros
I think that the transmutation cirlces on his hands allow him to transmute alchemy cirlces at will. So he cplaps his hand and touches the item he wants to transmute making an alchemy cricle on it. Then, because his hands are already on the circle the transmutation happens. I think this because when he touches the suits of armour in the film, transmutation circles appear on them and then they start to glow.

On the point of his age.
I think Al does come back, years behind the age he should be. But becuase he's come throguh the gate he's got his memories back. So I think this means that he's going to have a prolonged adolesence. (So actually having his 16th birthday twice. Cool!)
The Frozen Alchemist
Al lost the memory of being able to clap his hands and transmute without a circle when he returned to his body. He wears gloves with transmutation circles that way he can clap and transmute instead of drawing a circle.
FmaRulz111
I think he did it because he didn't want to waste time making circles, or maybe he forgot?
Sagara
I think that those circles are for an especial type of alchemi(transfer a part of his soul) that canīt be performed by claping his hands.
flameshaft
i think that there are a few reasons:

as he hasn't really seen the gate, he can't do it like izumi-san or ed
he doesn't want to waste time drawing circles
[maybe] adding the circle made by connecting his hands adds to his alchemical abilities
he was told of ed's abilities and wants to do so to remind him of ed
Also, his powers are pretty high, because he tried to learn as much as possible to get his brother back

for the other informations about his body and age, just finish the anime (up to the 51st episode)

those are what i think might be the reason for his circles
also, i think that they are the same ones as the one he used in the anime
Blysse
I'm wondering if maybe there's some sort of connection between Al being able to do so many kind of alchemy without a circle and the fact that the circles on his gloves are on the palm of his hand, and not the back. Roy has circles on his gloves as well, but they're on the back of his hand and we really only see him use flame alchemy without a circle.
xXdark_angel_nekoXx
well i have to say that everyone has a good point but i have to say that he has the circles on the gloves so he does not have to draw the circles everywhere he goes. i also think that he has them on so he can be like his brother edward.
Artixte
No, that's actually in the manga, when he figures out he doesn't need circles to transmute like Edward

The circles are on the palms of his gloves:
Metastasis
Warning: Spoilers and discussion ending arguments lay ahead.

I see no reason at all to believe that Al became a State Alchemist. It is never even remotely mentioned in the movie. Ever.

I also see no reason to believe he can't do Alchemy without a transmutation circle.

Every time somebody in the series uses a tattoo or article of clothing for transmutation, it makes a pinkish purple glow (except for the Full Bird and the Tringham brother). When they use the circleless alchemy, or alchemy with the circle on/around the object being transmuted, it makes a blue glow. In the movie, when Al makes the fountain in the desert, and detaches his soul partially to control the suits of armor, it makes a blue glow.

Case closed.

He says he believes his soul is easily transmuted like that because of his being attached to the suit of armor, and then back to his original body.

I believe that even though he lost the ability to use the Philosopher's Stone, and lost his memories, his body still came from behind the gate at the end of the series. Passing through then may be the reason he is able to use Alchemy without needing a circle, other than using his body as the circle.

Why, then, does he have transmutation circles on his gloves? Who knows? If the glow colors are consistant, however, than he definitely isn't using those circles to transmute.
luluseason
but dont you think that
if al became a state alchemist,
he would have more privilages to resource
that can help him find a way to bring ed back.
since that is what he learnt all the alchemy for anyway i think.

and he seems to be on good terms with armstrong and everyone.
Full_Metal_Clinch
well lets bear in mind that ed naturally found his power to not use an array when he was 15, and al is 13 in the movie. i just think untill he knows how, the glove is just convenience
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.