Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: College/university/grad-school Majors
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Open Talk
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Carnal Malefactor
For those of you in college/university... yadda yadda yadda... what is it?

For those of you not in college/university... blah blah blah... what's it gonna be?

Political Science for me. Though I plan on studying journalism in grad school.
Gashole
Probably Psychology.
But I'd like to major in Biochemistry just so I'd look cool. cool.gif
wolfi1412
I don't knw exactly what, but Graphic Design.
Quistis88
As of right now, I am on my way to obtaining an English major and a Philosophy minor. I'm enjoying it so far, though I despise writing essays. I'm more into creative writing. smile.gif
wolfi1412
u wanna be a writer?
Thievesvinegar
writing can be interesting. however, i've noticed that mos tof the best writers are crazy...i''m working on it.
Gashole
What, on being crazy?
You're already there. smile.gif
Thievesvinegar
yea,but i'm not up to that level...
Quistis88
QUOTE(wolfi1412 @ Oct 7 2004, 11:25 PM)
u wanna be a writer?

Well, I actually plan to be an English teacher, and teach post-secondary or secondary school (high school). I would like to write novels as a side hobby or something.

If I don't get a job here, I know I am guaranteed one if I work as an ESL teacher at an international school (especially because I can speak both Cantonese and English). If I do that, I will likely be accepted in Hong Kong schools. If not Hong kong, then I would like to go to Japan or Korea. The schools pay for your room and board while you're there, plus the salary is exceptional!
wolfi1412
reminds me... composers such as Mozart and Beethoven are kind of insane.
Thievesvinegar
thats why they're good.
Gashole
Huh. More reason to start studying Chinese. It's too bad they're not more readable.
Quistis88
Yes, I'd like to learn Japanese, too . . . so I can possibly apply there for a teaching job and BAM! Free trip to Japan!
wolfi1412
free???? ohmy.gif
Quistis88
QUOTE(wolfi1412 @ Oct 7 2004, 11:54 PM)
free???? ohmy.gif

Yes, I do believe it's free, because foreign countries are always DESPERATE for English teachers to teach their children this widely used language. Plus, they would pay for your room and board (school teacher dorms, I guess), so you wouldn't have to worry about meals or housing.

But then again, only the schools that can afford it do that, namely international schools.
Gashole
Well, my current goals are only Spanish and Chinese, since those are the languages most spoken here in SoCal. After that I might try French as well. Caucasians are always taking French, wonder what the hype is all about tongue.gif
Quistis88
It's most likely because French is considered the "most romantic language" in the world, though there are others that are nice as well. I'd like my husband to know how to speak French. tongue.gif
wolfi1412
Quistis is married??? O.o?

and I don't really like French very much.. reason: coz of my teacher... she forced us!!
Quistis88
QUOTE(wolfi1412 @ Oct 8 2004, 12:07 AM)
Quistis is married??? O.o?

Good heavens, no. I'm NOT married. Too young, for today's standards anyway. What I mean is that I'd LIKE my FUTURE husband to know how to speak French.
Ailuro
French is fun. ^^ I'm taking it this year after taking it for 3 years then stopping for 3 years. -.- Got sent back to French one because my family moved to the other side of the country...
bryantq
i think ive mentioned it elsewhere in this forum but here it goes again for my program of study at the University of Arizona smile.gif

BS in Management Information Systems and Operations Management Dual Major, with a Minor in Japanese Linguistics and a certificate in International Business biggrin.gif

Such a mouthful smile.gif
Quistis88
QUOTE(bryantq @ Oct 8 2004, 12:41 AM)
BA in Management Information Systems and Operations Management Dual Major, with a Minor in Japanese Linguistics and a certificate in International Business biggrin.gif

Such a mouthful smile.gif

Wow, that must have taken a long time to achieve! Admirable, indeed.

Japanese linguistics . . . I'm currently taking a linguistics class (English) and it's so tedious! And yours is even in Japanese! Wow . . .
Ailuro
That kinda went -whoosh- right over my head..

But yes, very impressive and, to quote Quistis, admirable. ^^
bryantq
im not done smile.gif im still in college. hehe
Quistis88
It's still really impressive though. smile.gif
Ailuro
I think so as well. ^^
xrninja
hoping for graphic design/industrial design/architecture, if i don't get into RISD or Carnegie Mellon then business or econ at a UC smile.gif i want to continue japanese in college but if i do get into RISD and go, they don't have a japanese course and neither does Brown University, their sister school sad.gif my friend was going to apply to Brown, and then she found out they don't have japanese and isn't anymore ^^;;
Ailuro
That's similar to what my friend wants to major in.

I actually want to go into a medical career. Or something that involves science/mathematics.
xrninja
yeah, another bonus for me for going into the arts is that i'll never have to deal with math or science again! aha! rolleyes.gif
Ailuro
@-@ I wouldn't be able to live without math or science. I live off of that stuff.

But going into the arts would be very interesting. Sounds fun. ^^
Squall20XX
I'm on my second computing course _ ubar geek!
xrninja
aaah i DETEST math and science! my gpa would be very nice if it wasn't for algebra2H and chemH soph year, trig/analH and APbio junior year, and APcalc and physics this year x__X my dad doesn't understand my absymal math and science grades at all because he double majored in chem and math or something. obviously i did not inherit any of those genes (but i got all of his other genes, i look like i budded off of him or something). art does sound fun but it's really intimidating; you'd be graded off of pure skill and talent, and hard work won't really factor into anything. so you can spend 12 hours on a picture and get a lower grade than someone who is incredibly talented and only spent 2 hours on theirs. uugh.
Ailuro
o_____O; Ack.. That does sound intimidating. I guess one should really be confident in their abilities before trying to pursue a career like that.
Sycia
Ain't in college, but hmmm... a degree in 2D animation would be good... but then again people don't look for certs when it comes down to it. They look for results...

*Works hard...* >_<
Ailuro
Go Sycia! ^^
Gashole
QUOTE(xrninja @ Oct 8 2004, 08:48 AM)
aaah i DETEST math and science! my gpa would be very nice if it wasn't for algebra2H and chemH soph year, trig/analH and APbio junior year, and APcalc and physics this year x__X my dad doesn't understand my absymal math and science grades at all because he double majored in chem and math or something. obviously i did not inherit any of those genes (but i got all of his other genes, i look like i budded off of him or something). art does sound fun but it's really intimidating; you'd be graded off of pure skill and talent, and hard work won't really factor into anything. so you can spend 12 hours on a picture and get a lower grade than someone who is incredibly talented and only spent 2 hours on theirs. uugh.

Ehe, what brought down my GPA was actually art. Science and math, you can at least try to study it, but art? I like to doodle, but my teachers didn't consider it "real" art. I'm yet to appreciate "real" art. By the way, I hate math but I like science. Since math and science seem to be in the same category, would it be considered weird? unsure.gif
Prinz_Zoisit
QUOTE(Thievesvinegar @ Oct 8 2004, 06:46 AM)
thats why they're good.

but they both admired only one -> Bach!

Beethoven said to Bach:
"Not "Bach"(german: river) shall he be called, but "Meer(german: ocean)!"

^^

P.S.: I want to major in Business Administration and Engineering in Environmental Science(i started my studies this week^^)
dreamcatcher_alchemist
I'm in my second year at university. My major is Early Education with a dual major in English specializing in reading with a minor in art. I'm gonna corrupt the youth of America and actually make them think for themselves.

~ais
Pixeldot
I'd like to major in Art (doing either Video Game art or Fashion Design sketches), but I'm also very interested in Computer Science.

However, I'm planning on attending a private art college, so I dont think I'll be able to follow up on my Computer Science love =/ Oh well.
animedragon
i wanna major in Accounting
rsF
Going to be computer science/engineering.
Chibi Viki
i took up architecture in college... and i really regret it. i should've taken fine arts advertising instead, i'm such a dolt! 6 years of misery because of my stupidity and pride... so my advice to you guys, think about what course you're gonna take thoroughly, ask yourself if you're gonna enjoy it or is it your interest, before taking it.
filimonovna
I wasn't in college, actually blink.gif In high school I had some advanced courses on history, english and russian/russian literature. It helped me to enter my university (Moscow State Academy of Law)
The Flame Alchemist LuckyANBU
i'm going to major in .... not sure yet but im going to go to full sail (not really a college but basically) yea im gonna go there 4 animation or just film production since thats what im in a special high school 4 right now.. i'd like to mayb minor in japanese culture tho but i'd have to go to a normal college 4 that so we'll c how it all unfolds...

also if i did the normal film production i would take another screenwriting class (im taking a college levelscreenwriting class now) but i would take another to make sure im up to date

p.s. i would let u guys c my movies 4 free! lol
Gashole
QUOTE(filimonovna @ Oct 8 2004, 05:32 PM)
I wasn't in college, actually  blink.gif  In high school I had some advanced courses on history, english and russian/russian literature. It helped me to enter my university (Moscow State Academy of Law)

College, university, same thing. tongue.gif
Quistis88
QUOTE(dreamcatcher_alchemist @ Oct 8 2004, 09:11 AM)
I'm in my second year at university. My major is Early Education with a dual major in English specializing in reading with a minor in art. I'm gonna corrupt the youth of America and actually make them think for themselves.

~ais

That's my goal as well. Only not in your exact terms. The corrupting part I plan on doing also. Children these days have horrible grammar, and who are they being bested by most of the time? The ESL students.

And I will bring back spelling tests in high school. I cannot believe that some people STILL do not know the different between "there" "their" and "they're".
Gashole
LOL, sometimes I like to purposely misspell/misuse words in an attempt to sound like "native speakers." In fact, it did get to the point where I automatically wrote "should of" instead of "should've." Kind of scary, really. unsure.gif
dreamcatcher_alchemist
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Oct 8 2004, 09:54 PM)
QUOTE(dreamcatcher_alchemist @ Oct 8 2004, 09:11 AM)

~ais

That's my goal as well. Only not in your exact terms. The corrupting part I plan on doing also. Children these days have horrible grammar, and who are they being bested by most of the time? The ESL students.

And I will bring back spelling tests in high school. I cannot believe that some people STILL do not know the different between "there" "their" and "they're".

of course, everyone is being beaten by the homeschoolers. I feel that we should teach our kids up to 6th grade and then homeschool them. Motivates them to actually want to get out of the house.

~ais
Vael
WHOA, Quisitis! We have the same goals. o.o;;

I plan on majoring in English, minoring in Teaching (because that's required in some schools, I think. If I find out it's not, my minor will probably German, French, Italian, Norweigan... something... like that...)

I plan on teaching English in either Switzerland, some country in Scandinavia, or Japan. Japan because people keep trying to convince me to do so... And, yeah, American grammar is terrible. Eventually all these grammatical errors will become accepted in society, and all hell will break loose. One thing that severely agitates me is when people say "good" instead of "well". (They're doing very GOOD today!) AAAAAH! Or when people say they're "done" instead of "finished".

Yeah, anyway...
wolfi1412
all of these 'college' conversations is out of my league.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.