Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: College/university/grad-school Majors
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Open Talk
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Dead-Poet
Psychology.

It's the only course among the choices that my parents approved of.
FailToImpress
I've actually no idea what a 'college major' means... maybe it's an American term?
Anyway, I'm at university, studying for a degree in Psychology. smile.gif
alchemist x
Ha Ha Hopefully you plan on getting your masters in it then. because i dont know how it is in the UK but unless you have your masters in psychology the degree is pretty much useless. And the degree in psychology would be your "College Major"

Im plan on a degree in Computer Science/Engineering .

FailToImpress
^Ah, well, when I say degree, the actual title of it will be an Psychology Master of Arts (MA) Honours.
I say degree because... that's generally what I call it I suppose. tongue.gif
Forgiven
I'm not sure what I'm going to do when I go to Collage. I wanted to be a Teacher for the longest time, but now that I'm in High School, it's kinda wearing off.
xXdark_angel_nekoXx
well as for me i have to say that i am going for my balchors degree in gsp.

for future refrence that stands for Gaming and simmlation programming.

and aslo with this i can create video games and simmulations for the imporant people.
Metastasis
Soon as I get out of the Army, I'll be going in for a major in Design Engineering and a minor in American History. My A plan is for me to be a high school history teacher, with my doctor wife earning most of our bread. Plan B, if the ....ty paycheck from teaching won't cut it, is to fall back on my engineering degree. Plan C is to go back to my welding job at my dad's plant. And if none of those work out, I can always sell drugs again or join the Army again. In that order of precedence.
FMA Obsessed
I'm majoring in Web Design, but after I graduate, I would like to study something else. I'm not sure what yet, though.
Little Washu
English for me :3 Though, I would like to get involved in working with flowers(botany?)...
Mat-Mat
I'm getting in the English department, more likely trying to become a journalist. That's plan A. Plan B is going to school and majoring in music and becoming a band director. Plan C, which most likely may happen, I'll be majoring in computer engineering and end up designing computers or working with them.
Blitz
I'm still pretty unsure of what I want to do, but at this point it's between biomedical engineering and psychology. I'll be taking IB Physics and AB/BC Calculus next year as a high school junior, and IB Psychology as well. I suppose I'll want to take AP Biology Senior year, at least. Biomedical engineering's a bit tricky since I need both Bio and Physics, and my school offers the IB versions of them during the same class period. Then, most likely, I'll be taking Calculus III at NC State University my senior year in place of a math at my high school. That'll take care of some of the math requirements so hopefully I'll be given credit for those.

All that math... My head hurts to think about it. D:
Imbris
I majored in Meteorology...so I forecast the weather for a living (no, not on tv!).
Edward Cardinal Elric
Undergraduate:

BINGHAMTON UNIVERSITY, STATE UNIVERSITY of NEW YORK
Bachelor of Science in Management, cum laude, conferred May 2008
Concentrations: Management Information Systems, Consulting and Leadership

Graduate:

Master of Business Administration, expected May 2009
Concentrations: Management Information Systems, Supply Chain Management

http://www2.binghamton.edu/
http://www2.binghamton.edu/som/
Edamame
Sigh, I should have picked a money-making major like biotechnology or law. No, instead I had to be stubborn and double-major in socio-linguistics and Spanish literature. Fluent speakers of Spanish go have a high possibility of getting hired, but I decided that I am going to be bloody insane and apply to the University of Edinburgh´s intensvie archeology program, with a focus on linguistic studies. (Hurrah for learning languages that nobody in their right mind would ever study. I always wanted to learn Basque or study some obscure dead language like Old Norse.) God, I am going to be eating ramen noodles and living in a box for the remainder of my life. Heh heh, time to marry myself a money-makig man.
Imbris
QUOTE (Edamame @ Apr 16 2009, 05:22 AM) *
Sigh, I should have picked a money-making major like biotechnology or law. No, instead I had to be stubborn and double-major in socio-linguistics and Spanish literature. Fluent speakers of Spanish go have a high possibility of getting hired, but I decided that I am going to be bloody insane and apply to the University of Edinburgh´s intensvie archeology program, with a focus on linguistic studies. (Hurrah for learning languages that nobody in their right mind would ever study. I always wanted to learn Basque or study some obscure dead language like Old Norse.) God, I am going to be eating ramen noodles and living in a box for the remainder of my life. Heh heh, time to marry myself a money-makig man.

How you doin?
(jk)

To the Binghamton guy above - that's a good school, I grew up in upstate NY and have some friends who attended BU.
Edamame
How you doin?
(jk)

Heh heh, I feel like someone ouf of a bad Victorian novel about starving bohemians. I am currently working as an assistant English teacher in the bloody middle of nowhere Spain. Yeah, the nearest city is four hours away- this isn´t your ordinary isolation, this is advanced isolation. When I am not translating or teaching young children the joys of the English language, I keep myself entertained by playing games like "count the cows" or "count the Santiago Trail Pilgrims." Needless to say, I am kind of going batty. Sigh, only two more months...only two more months, then I´ll just get to be a poor starving linguist in the United Kingdom or the U.S. Gah, I am so envious of my friends who are rocket scientists, lawyers, or doctors. People, don´t become a linguistic unless are like J.R.R Tolkien and write books that become a classic of literature.
AndroidLust
QUOTE (Edward Cardinal Elric @ Apr 16 2009, 01:29 AM) *

I mightttttttttttttttttttttt transfer there next year because of their psychology program. Also, the school I`m at now, St. John`s University, is costing my family a billion dollars and I feel really guilty about sucking up all the money, what with the economy blowing up and all. (though my dad tells me not to worry about it...)
But I don`t wanna leave New York City, I love it too much. :c And Binghamton is in the middle of noooooooowhereeeeeee. I`ll die.

Anyway, entered this year as a Bio major, now a Psych major. Fo shooo.
Innocent-malice
recently decided to go for computer graphics or fashion, I want to minor in writing.
Edward Cardinal Elric
QUOTE (AndroidLust @ Apr 16 2009, 11:49 PM) *
But I don`t wanna leave New York City, I love it too much. :c And Binghamton is in the middle of noooooooowhereeeeeee. I`ll die.

I am a Binghamton native, so I am really quite accustomed to the somewhat unexciting atmosphere of upstate New York. In all honesty, compared to New York City at least, there is not a whole lot going on in the Binghamton area. The University is perhaps the biggest draw to the region (a ton of students come from downstate to attend college), but Binghamton is not actually a "college town" as some claim (it is an aging, economically depressed, former manufacturing hub dry.gif ). Within the college campus there are generally interesting things to do in order to occupy one's time, but the city proper is honestly rather dull (unless of course you have a fondness for carousels - we are the carousel capital of the world laugh.gif ).

I head down to the City every so often to visit and take in a helping of culture, but to be honest I really quite dislike New York City in general. It is simply too busy and stressful; I dislike the crazy atmosphere, extremely fast-paced lifestyle, and overall level of insanity (not to mention that I find it to be quite dirty). Right now I am in the process of trying to secure a job in this lackluster economic market. Most Binghamton graduates head to the City following commencement to work for large firms there, but I personally am seeking a federal position in the Washington, DC area (government hiring practices are among the slowest processes that I know of - blast you Office of Personnel Management wacko.gif ).

On the plus side of things, Binghamton University is a crazy steal in financial terms. When I finish up everything next month, I will have paid substantially less over the course of my five years here at Binghamton (four years for undergraduate work and one year of graduate school for my MBA) than my parents paid for four years worth of parochial high school. I am leaving college with a graduate degree and absolutely no debt to speak of at all cool.gif . This is perhaps the best facet of Binghamton University; a top-rated education costing next to nothing (Binghamton is constantly ranked as one of the best values in American education, is considered to be among the public ivies, and continually turns out graduates with a historically low level of indebtedness). The School of Management is particularly well known and highly recognized; it is one of the top feeder schools for the big New York accounting firms (SOM is in the top fifty business schools in the country - Look Here). If you can cope with the upstate backdrop, Binghamton University is a great choice.
hand-made-city
My major is 3D Animation! I'm a junior at Pratt Institute in Brooklyn, NY! <3
Aribelle
My major is nursing smile.gif
FMAobsessed
My major is Elementary Education. There is a lot of work and requirements to do in order to become a teacher. But my education class is awesome.
Kale Mustang
My major was Business Management Economics.

At the time I graduated, there was no accounting major for my school, so it was rolled into the Business Management Econ major. It's basically one part accounting, one part business management, and one part of economics.
Thalogens
I'm so depressed. I'm so confused.

I still have to choose my college subjects (college in UK meaning 16-19 education) and I have no idea. I have to choose by the end of April. (I have to choose 4 out of bio, chem, phys, maths, art/D&T and english)
As for University, I'm stuck between a degree in Architecture at Central St Martins (supposed to be very good, but my friend said that Kent University is very good for Architecture...) or something science related. Biology???
The thing that's bugging me now about choosing the right subjects for AS/A-Levels is that I want to keep my options open so that I can go down both the science and architecture routes, and then I also might want to do English(not sure Lit/Lang yet) because... I have no idea. You know what? I'm gonna be a tube-driver, they just had a strike a few weeks ago to raise their pay, it's not a very challenging job and... and...

TT~TT
Serb Alchemist
My major is Geo-Economics...
zonkiethegreat
I graduated with a Bachelors in Graphic Design. I am currently working on my Masters in Art Direction.
jacksparrow589
I just started college, and I'm working towards a B.S. in Computer Science. (I might go into Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering, though. Something to do with math and physics, when all's said and done.)
Katya Martin
Computer Science! And, eventually, and art minor (my school requires that CS majors take minors, so that we don't spend every waking hour in front of a screen.) If they had a Game Design program, I'd be in that.
Loreley
I'm in my second year (out of three) of Biotechnology at the university. After this, I hope to specialize with Medical and Pharmaceutical Biotechnologies (2 years). I really like it, but since Italy doesn't invests funds for research I'll probably have to go abroad. Sadly, I'll probably do it anyway because I don't like what this nation is becoming sad.gif
Cold-Blooded-Alchemist
Sequential Art for me! (comic book art)
IceSkadi
My major is Natural Science.
I want to be a zoologist or an ecologist/climatologist/geographer biggrin.gif (even a paleontologist won't be bad)
Phantom37
My major is Economics in the university of Tampere.

MeiXiTian
I'm doing a BTEC National Diploma in Graphics and Photography. biggrin.gif
EniviD EiraM
I am still searching for a good course which is related about anime and manga or about traveling or something related to 'hospitals' ..

I don't have any idea what my future college life is going to be .. ugh !
A Pierrot's Aria
Right now in College I take medieval history, classical civilisations and graphic illustration. I also took geography, IT and general studies. But in University I'm going to be doing a B.A. in History and Philosophy. : )

(That'll probably mean something else for those in other countries! xD)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.