Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: College/university/grad-school Majors
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Open Talk
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Username05
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ May 9 2005, 08:18 PM)
QUOTE(arche @ May 9 2005, 09:10 PM)
Perhaps I'm just naturally gifted at faking it and incredibly capable individual laugh.gif (I doubt it tongue.gif).

Well . . . I suppose that certainly takes talent. laugh.gif

QUOTE(arche @ May 9 2005, 09:10 PM)
It's also a great party trick - proving God's existence from an Egg McMuffin is always a great ice breaker laugh.gif

Have you actually used it at a party? If so, what were the reactions? biggrin.gif

Speaking of engineers, I find them to be yet another Asian stereotype. biggrin.gif Everyone in the school expected me to go into engineering, until word got around that I dropped Calculus (I thought it was a bit of a waste of time). And while we're also on the subject of careers, according to some test I took, I am supposedly best suited for a job in the business world. huh.gif
[snapback]170002[/snapback]

When ever I see a stereotype of an Asian person it is ether the street-raceing, spiked hair guy, the Japanise rock band, or the computer technision/ Hacker. It's because these people get the most screen time, they are always on TV and in movies.

Philosophy supposedly helps in buisness. I realy have no idea some people just grasp it much easier. Buisness people are also stereo types, they arn't all back-stabbing, con-men some are good people.

If it is in another thread can I get a link from someone, I don't want to read through a bunch of stuff...
hitokiri
QUOTE(arche @ May 9 2005, 11:20 PM)
One big thing about New Englanders is that we're cold unwelcoming assholes.
[snapback]170006[/snapback]

bah.... i've been to new england, you people are nothing. i'm from nyc, the birthplace of the modern asshole. i can out asshole all of you schmucks in my sleep.... laugh.gif
ἀρχή
I don't really use the Egg McMuffin, but I do interject silly little philosophical concepts when they pop up. Usually it gets a laugh and inspires me to tell a few philosopher jokes. Unfortunately philosopher jokes often require some set up and knowledge of philosophy. The funniest ones, only a philosophy student would get - that alone should be motivation to be a philosophy major.

Proof of existence of God from Egg McMuffin - raw edition:

To make an Egg McMuffin, you need an egg. The egg must have come from something as it is incapable of entering existence on its own. A chicken laid the egg. But, the chicken also couldn't have spontaneously caused itself to exist, so it came from an egg. This leads us to an infinite regress forcing us to ask what made the chicken (or egg) in the first place.

That which made the chicken (or egg) must be something that cannot be caused or must be an uncaused causer, otherwise you would continue to have the infinite regress of cause-effect relations. That which created everything is God, who is the uncaused, cause and as such, the necessary being.

Now, remember that this "God" could just as easily be an inanimate object or substance and not some personal God, but that's the failure of all proofs for the existence of God.

::EDIT:: @ Hito: I should clarify - we pretend we like you and then treat you like an asshole. We're pretty much a bunch of passive/agressive assholes out here.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ May 9 2005, 08:28 PM)
Wasn't the Egg McMuffin thing already in the "Philosophical Investigations" thread?  mellow.gif
[snapback]170019[/snapback]

I read most of that thread but don't remember seeing it. huh.gif

Arche,

Very interesting. Just goes to show anything can launch a philosophical conversation.
Steel Alchemist
Forensic Pathology is my thing. Right now I may have a Diploma.

I plan on being one so I have to keep up the grades. It will be tough but I can do it.

Note from Quistis: Don't double-post.
Username05
It's because everything is grey and morbid there, I was just there over the weekend for a wedding.
It looks like they are 2 months behind us Tennessee folk.

People in Connecticut can out asshole you all, they are taxed for everything, drugs and alchohalism are every where, evrything is cold and grey, and everyone hates each other accept for family members.
Quistis88
QUOTE(hitokiri @ May 9 2005, 09:31 PM)
bah.... i've been to new england, you people are nothing. i'm from nyc, the birthplace of the modern asshole. i can out asshole all of you schmucks in my sleep.... laugh.gif

Sounds like a great place. biggrin.gif Yet one more reason to visit NYC.

QUOTE(Envy's lil' miniskirt @ May 9 2005, 09:33 PM)
I read most of that thread but don't remember seeing it. huh.gif

Ahh, perhaps I remembered wrong, then. Though I do recall seeing arche post it somewhere . . . maybe I was dreaming. Has arche been dumping weird chemicals into my vat again? laugh.gif

I wonder if anyone here is in Law School, or are planning to go. I would like some comments about Law School.
Username05
QUOTE(arche @ May 9 2005, 08:32 PM)
Proof of existence of God from Egg McMuffin - raw edition:

To make an Egg McMuffin, you need an egg. The egg must have come from something as it is incapable of entering existence on its own. A chicken laid the egg. But, the chicken also couldn't have spontaneously caused itself to exist, so it came from an egg. This leads us to an infinite regress forcing us to ask what made the chicken (or egg) in the first place.

That which made the chicken (or egg) must be something that cannot be caused or must be an uncaused causer, otherwise you would continue to have the infinite regress of cause-effect relations. That which created everything is God, who is the uncaused, cause and as such, the necessary being.

Now, remember that this "God" could just as easily be an inanimate object or substance and not some personal God, but that's the failure of all proofs for the existence of God.

::EDIT:: @ Hito: I should clarify - we pretend we like you and then treat you like an asshole. We're pretty much a bunch of passive/agressive assholes out here.
[snapback]170031[/snapback]

Ok, I am from Tennessee, can you dumb the underlined down a little?
Envy's lil' miniskirt
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ May 9 2005, 08:39 PM)

[snapback]170046[/snapback]

I love NY and I hate to say it hito but I found the people to be very nice there. But then again I get along better with people from the east coast then people here in the west coast so that could be why.

Then again, I never had to fight somebody for a cab.........at least not there.
ἀρχή
Everyone who majored in philosophy except me and one other guy went to law school. It's the standard minor or double major for a pre-law track.

I remember posting it too, but I have no idea where anymore.

You must realize that in Connecticut, it was illegal to use a condom in the 60's. The issue actually went to the Supreme Court and was only overturned based on a split decision. I wish I still had the case info with me, but it's been lost over the years.
hitokiri
QUOTE(Envy's lil' miniskirt @ May 9 2005, 11:42 PM)
I love NY and I hate to say it hito but I found the people to be very nice there. But then again I get along better with people from the east coast then people here in the west coast so that could be why.
if you want the full ny asshole experience check out the club scene on a friday night.. that or ask people on the street for directions. i spent an elderly couple from ohio to spanish harlem once for that...

of course not we have one of the best taxi systems outside of europe, the only place i've ever had a problem was the financial district.
xrninja
I wonder if anyone here is in Law School, or are planning to go.  I would like some comments about Law School.

my sister and almost all of her high school friends are in law school. she's in UC Davis's law school, and she has other friends in UCLA's, George Washington U's, and others i can't really remember. she was considering corporate law, but she worked for the attorney general's office in sacramento last summer and went to a lot of court cases and liked it, so she might be a court lawyer. i think she has another friend who's going to do immigrations stuff.
Username05
QUOTE(Envy's lil' miniskirt @ May 9 2005, 08:42 PM)

[snapback]170054[/snapback]

A worker for my dad was up there for buisness and a gang tried to mug him but being from Tennessee, knowing that is very rude and no one would ever do that here, and growing up on a farm (80% of the people in my dad's shop grew up on farms.) he kicked there asses. I thought it was pretty funny.
Quistis88
QUOTE(arche @ May 9 2005, 09:44 PM)
I remember posting it too, but I have no idea where anymore.

Found it biggrin.gif

QUOTE(xrninja @ May 9 2005, 09:49 PM)
my sister and almost all of her high school friends are in law school. she's in UC Davis's law school, and she has other friends in UCLA's, George Washington U's, and others i can't really remember. she was considering corporate law, but she worked for the attorney general's office in sacramento last summer and went to a lot of court cases and liked it, so she might be a court lawyer. i think she has another friend who's going to do immigrations stuff.

Hmm, sounds interesting. How many years of schooling is required, approximately?
ἀρχή
QUOTE(Username05 @ May 9 2005, 11:42 PM)

[snapback]170053[/snapback]

To get an effect, you need a cause. For instance, to get a billiard ball to move, you must hit it with a cue. So, the cause is hitting it with a cue and the effect is the ball moving. If you rewind a game of 9 ball from end to beginning, you'll see that there is a "regress" of actions from effect to cause. The chicken to egg is basically showing this evidence - a chicken was caused by an egg, and an egg was caused by a previous chicken.

After rewinding the entire 9 ball game, you have a start point. If the billiard game was all of time, then the start point (i.e. the break) would be uncaused. If you never had that break, then you would have an infinite backward game of 9 ball.

The analogy is rough, but hopefully works. I'm a bit tired now, so I'm not thinking clearly on how to explain myself. I really could use a telepathic link right now laugh.gif
xrninja
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ May 9 2005, 08:54 PM)
Hmm, sounds interesting.  How many years of schooling is required, approximately?
[snapback]170077[/snapback]

she majored in Political Science at UC Berkeley with a minor in Business for undergrad, which was the standard four years. her law school requires 3 years, and you're also required to do some sort of law internship or law-related work in the summer during law school. and then comes the bar exam, which probably takes a lot of preparation too. unsure.gif
Envy's lil' miniskirt
QUOTE(hitokiri @ May 9 2005, 08:48 PM)
if you want the full ny asshole experience check out the club scene on a friday night.. that or ask people on the street for directions. i spent an elderly couple from ohio to spanish harlem once for that...

Not much of a club person I usually hang out with friends. About the only club I would want to go to there would be CBGBs.

Funny, the one person I asked direction from was actually very nice. But I could be I have good tourist karma from all the tourist I've helped out here. I was even on the street wondering aloud with one of my friends as to where some street was and a guy stopped and helped us of his own accord. I was so shocked I was rendered speechless for a couple of seconds.

QUOTE(username05)
A worker for my dad was up there for buisness and a gang tried to mug him but being from Tennessee, knowing that is very rude and no one would ever do that here, and growing up on a farm (80% of the people in my dad's shop grew up on farms.) he kicked there asses. I thought it was pretty funny.

Oh man, I wish I could of seen that. Priceless. laugh.gif
Username05
QUOTE(arche @ May 9 2005, 08:54 PM)
QUOTE(Username05 @ May 9 2005, 11:42 PM)

[snapback]170053[/snapback]

To get an effect, you need a cause. For instance, to get a billiard ball to move, you must hit it with a cue. So, the cause is hitting it with a cue and the effect is the ball moving. If you rewind a game of 9 ball from end to beginning, you'll see that there is a "regress" of actions from effect to cause. The chicken to egg is basically showing this evidence - a chicken was caused by an egg, and an egg was caused by a previous chicken.

After rewinding the entire 9 ball game, you have a start point. If the billiard game was all of time, then the start point (i.e. the break) would be uncaused. If you never had that break, then you would have an infinite backward game of 9 ball.

The analogy is rough, but hopefully works. I'm a bit tired now, so I'm not thinking clearly on how to explain myself. I really could use a telepathic link right now laugh.gif
[snapback]170078[/snapback]

Ha! I get it now! *High five!*
ἀρχή
It takes 90 credit hours to get a law degree and yet you get a J.D. out of it (a doctorate).

It takes 90 credit hours to get a divinity degree, but you only get a M.Div out of it (master's level).

Both take a lot of work and both used to be only bachelors level degrees until they complained about not getting recognition. Why did the divinity students sell out? Am I bitter, yes I am! tongue.gif
hitokiri
QUOTE(Envy's lil' miniskirt @ May 9 2005, 11:57 PM)
Funny, the one person I asked direction from was actually very nice. But I could be I have good tourist karma from all the tourist I've helped out here.  I was even on the street wondering aloud with one of my friends as to where some street was and a guy stopped and helped us of his own accord.  I was so shocked I was rendered speechless for a couple of seconds.
[snapback]170082[/snapback]

damn... i'm ashamed of my so called fellow assholes now.. i've seen tourists get slapped, spit on, and even chased down the street; but this makes me angry with this new tourist friendly new york... DAMN YOU, BLOOMBERG!!!! that just makes it so i have to crank up my level of assholeness to make up for the asshole deficit that these fools have caused.
Username05
Im New Jersey I have a friend who said they where standing on a side walk and a kid walked up and just shot one of his friends and ran off for no reason, he was sent to the hospitol, I thought it was crazy.
hitokiri
QUOTE(Username05 @ May 10 2005, 12:08 AM)
Im New Jersey I have a friend who said they where standing on a side walk and a kid walked up and just shot one of his friends and ran off for no reason, he was sent to the hospitol, I thought it was crazy.
[snapback]170096[/snapback]

yeah that happens... there are some crazy bastards out there in the dirty jerz. but i think the topper, when it come to random violence, was the string of bums being lit on fire as they slept that happened during the mid 90s.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
QUOTE(hitokiri @ May 9 2005, 09:03 PM)
damn... i'm ashamed of my so called fellow assholes now.. i've seen tourists get slapped, spit on, and even chased down the street; but this makes me angry with this new tourist friendly new york... DAMN YOU, BLOOMBERG!!!! that just makes it so i have to crank up my level of assholeness to make up for the asshole deficit that these fools have caused.
[snapback]170089[/snapback]

It's ok hito you can always move here. Since the .com boom the asshole level has gone way up. You'd feel right at home. laugh.gif
hitokiri
QUOTE(Envy's lil' miniskirt @ May 10 2005, 12:13 AM)
It's ok hito you can always move here. Since the .com boom the asshole level has gone way up. You'd feel right at home. laugh.gif
[snapback]170100[/snapback]

can't you cali folk and your air regulations have too low levels of smog for me to endure... i don't know why but i can't stand non-smog saturated air.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
QUOTE(hitokiri @ May 9 2005, 09:17 PM)
can't you cali folk and your air regulations have too low levels of smog for me to endure...  i don't know why but i can't stand non-smog saturated air.
[snapback]170106[/snapback]

There's always Southern CA. All the smog you can breathe and all the cilantro you can eat! laugh.gif

Theirs always a pretty layer of smog hovering right about the cityline. It's majestic.
Ailuro
I plan on majoring in something involving the bio side of science. But if that doesn't go according to plan, I'll just become a chemical engineer or something. Though I have had in interest in different languages, maybe I'll change my mind later on and pursue something on that subject.
As you can probably tell, at the moment I don't have a very concrete plan. mellow.gif
telepika
I'm actually planning to major in math... *Gets tomato-ed*
xrninja
QUOTE(telepika @ May 9 2005, 09:27 PM)
I'm actually planning to major in math...
[snapback]170115[/snapback]

*throws tomatoes*

actually, as long as i'm not the one doing math, it's all good. biggrin.gif so what does one do with a math major?
Username05
Down here fight usually are described with these words: Pool ball, teeth, blood, eye, damn, broken, window, car, shovel, or bat.
Bling_bling_Angel
QUOTE(What @ no bacon?,Oct 7 2004, 09:37 PM)
For those of you in college... yadda yadda yadda... what is it?

For those of you not in college... blah blah blah... what's it gonna be?

Political Science for me. Though I plan on studying journalism in grad school.
[snapback]24863[/snapback]

Earlier in highschool, say, 10th grade or so, I was thinking about taking Political Science, but then I changed my mind... sleep.gif;;; cuz I completely suck at civivs and all that... I have no patience studying politics and yeah.

I was supposed to take medicine, but I decided on nursing, finally.
Jellybean
QUOTE(Ailuro @ May 9 2005, 11:25 PM)
I plan on majoring in something involving the bio side of science. But if that doesn't go according to plan, I'll just become a chemical engineer or something. Though I have had in interest in different languages, maybe I'll change my mind later on and pursue something on that subject.
As you can probably tell, at the moment I don't have a very concrete plan. mellow.gif
[snapback]170112[/snapback]

Yay, a bio person! I'm biochemistry/genetics. I really love it, but I wouldn't really recommend it unless you're really into chemistry and willing to work pretty hard. I'm such a biochem geek, I have posters of proteins and my hands stink of rubber gloves all the time. happy.gif Everyone says that chemical engineering the best degree for when you go looking for a career, because it's not too general to be applicable (plain biology and chemistry degrees can be problematic that way, or so I've heard), but it's still fairly versatile. But then you have to take all of the general engineering classes, and those are murder.

Are you thinking of going to med school or grad school or anything?
telepika
*Gets smacked in the face by Ninja's tomato* Well... you don't have to get a job for what you're majoring in... For instance, at a computer systems company, there can be people there who have majored in anything from religion to math to philosophy... It only matters if you can do the work. Well anyway, with a math major, since you need math for practically anything, I can work as a civil engineer, at a chemical plant, at a computer company, I could do accounting... anything, as long as they need someone who knows math. And I'm good at math anyway. Might as well make a living off of it.

I actually wanted to be an engineer initially but I'm losing interest in that field. Reasons: I don't like machines too much and I've developed a loathing for chemistry. My advice for the younguns: NEVER TAKE HONORS CHEM IN COLLEGE!!! I can't believe I actually took that class! *Shivers*

And Blingy, you want to be a nurse? O_o You know, just about every filipino parent wants their child to be a nurse. My mom and relatives kept on pressuring me into it but I think it's got to be the worst job ever. Sure you may get good money but I would hate to care for sick and old people. ARGH!!! And hospitals... I'm afraid of them... Anyway, good luck with that Bling. ph34r.gif
Azura Elric
I plan to major in something in the Arts....erm either Animation or Graphic Designing.

If not, then a Pharmist, maybe.
Prinz_Zoisit
QUOTE(telepika @ May 10 2005, 11:22 AM)
You know, just about every filipino parent wants their child to be a nurse.
[snapback]170247[/snapback]

...ah, not only nurse, they mostly want their daughters also to become teachers!^^^^
Celestial Shadow
Celestial plans to major in either Creative Writing, or Journalism, and at least minor in Psychology biggrin.gif
telepika
Teacher?! Wow, my relatives never wanted me to be a teacher... Nurse, doctor, pharmacist but never a teacher...

I would hate to be a teacher too. I have patience but not enough to teach little brats. And they're so annoying, especially spoiled little brats.
Quistis88
QUOTE(telepika @ May 10 2005, 09:02 PM)
I would hate to be a teacher too. I have patience but not enough to teach little brats. And they're so annoying, especially spoiled little brats.

Try living with one for 10 years. biggrin.gif You develop patience for nearly everyone else.
Thievesvinegar
I think teachers have it worse than the kids. I admire and pity all teachers.

Psychology and religious studies. If I do go with this, I think I'll have to take anger management classes.

...a missionary doesn't sound all that bad.
Bubbles
Nursing with a minor in vocal music.

Currently Pre-Nursing at the University of South Florida..

man it feels good to say that! biggrin.gif
Thievesvinegar
nurses..mmmmm.
Bubbles
a nurse with a pre-med boyfriend too!!!!! Teehee!

Better be nice to me, never know when you'll get sick and I might have to take care of you! *evil grin*
Quistis88
Well, I've been looking at courses since it's nearly registration time again. So many courses I want to take, but I don't know which ones I should really consider. Perhaps some of you can help me figure out which ones I should spend money and time on (especially arche, since most are Philosophy courses). I'll exclude the required courses for both my major and minor.

ASTRONOMY 205 - The Modern Universe
BIOLOGY 205 - The Organization and Diversity of Life
ENGLISH 231 - Introduction to Fiction
ENGLISH 366 - Detective Fiction
JAPANESE 301 - Continuing Japanese I
MUSIC HISTORY 281 - Jazz History
PHILOSOPHY 313 - Bioethics
PHILOSOPHY 315 - Philosophy in Literature
PHILOSOPHY 319 - Law and Philosophy
PHILOSOPHY 321 - Metaphysics
PHILOSOPHY 347 - Contemporary Moral Problems
darkangelslayer
I want to major in veterinary medicine in the University of Florida. I love animals and it's what I wanted to be all my life since I was a child.
Dystopian Rhetoric
We don't have the same minor/major concept here in England, you just go in and study one subject exclusively.

It's my intention to study law and get myself an LLB however.
ἀρχή
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ May 18 2005, 03:57 PM)
Well, I've been looking at courses since it's nearly registration time again.  So many courses I want to take, but I don't know which ones I should really consider.  Perhaps some of you can help me figure out which ones I should spend money and time on (especially arche, since most are Philosophy courses).  I'll exclude the required courses for both my major and minor.

ASTRONOMY 205 - The Modern Universe
BIOLOGY 205 - The Organization and Diversity of Life
ENGLISH 231 - Introduction to Fiction
ENGLISH 366 - Detective Fiction
JAPANESE 301 - Continuing Japanese I
MUSIC HISTORY 281 - Jazz History
PHILOSOPHY 313 - Bioethics
PHILOSOPHY 315 - Philosophy in Literature
PHILOSOPHY 319 - Law and Philosophy
PHILOSOPHY 321 - Metaphysics
PHILOSOPHY 347 - Contemporary Moral Problems
[snapback]174758[/snapback]

Law and philosophy would be fun and Mataphysics is just a must have. The contemporary moral problems may be a pain (I've never been too big on ethics tongue.gif).
QUOTE(Dystopian Rhetoric @ May 18 2005, 04:52 PM)
We don't have the same minor/major concept here in England, you just go in and study one subject exclusively.

It's my intention to study law and get myself an LLB however.
[snapback]174785[/snapback]

Europe has a better graduate system than the US. In the US, you take classes for an eternity and then after that, you have to submit yourself to the torture of comprehensives and lastly you finally get to do your actual research. Plus you are supposed to be actually publishing while you're in the system. Typically in Europe, you go right for your research and take classes to suppliment the research. I have also heard that there is less pressure to publish while in school over there.
blueices
I'm a major in East Asian Languages and Cultures and have a Concentration (a bigger version of a minor) in Economics

Economics would have been my major if it wasn't for the fact that one is doomed to a b- average in that field...and b- at my school is somehow considered failure.....

Ick, I hate how colleges grade things, it just leads crazed kids having anxiety attacks in labs at 3am while gulping red bull. mellow.gif
ἀρχή
QUOTE(blueices @ May 18 2005, 07:03 PM)
Ick, I hate how colleges grade things, it just leads crazed kids having anxiety attacks in labs at 3am while gulping red bull.  mellow.gif
[snapback]174963[/snapback]

And also remember the fact that every professor actually has a different method of considering what makes a good grade.

When I was at seminary, I had a professor who, before teaching, graduated from Harvard University with a PhD in Literature. He then went to my seminary and got his first B because it was harder than Harvard graduate school. So, you can see that there is no way to tell what a grade means even based on what school you are in.
blueices
That is true. Graduate schools or even different undergraduate schools do weigh things differently. But, competition on my campus is such that b's are actually viewed that way, regardless of class difficulties, professors, etc.

I know that when I get out into the workforce, what my GPA was won't really matter when compared to actual experience, so I don't let it bother me too much. laugh.gif
alchemist x
Musical Arts.

Me play vilolin
Alchemy's Lover
I plan on pulling a double major of psycology and pre-law. Crazy huh but it is what I have wanted for at least two to three years now and I am only a sophmore in high school. laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.