Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Meeting Vic Mignogna
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1) > English Dub episodes (on Adult Swim)
Nepharski
Recently I have managed to procure a one-day pass AND transportation, however far we may have to travel, to the famed Comic Con, where it has been hinted at that Vic Mignogna, voice of Edward Elric, will be presiding for autographs and handshakes, this very Friday. My mission, which I have chosen to accept, is to find him and obtain both of these fabled things. Whatever else may dwell within the confines to the daily events must take a backseat to this glorious undertaking.

Secondary objectives include tallying how many people think I'm "From" something.

Wish me luck.
Vash_the_Gunslinger
Luck with that
puppet.alchemist
Good luck!
I hope you find that guy in a busy comic con... sleep.gif
Amethyst Sunset
Wow, good luck with that! happy.gif That's really awesome, getting to meet Vic in person, not to mention getting an autograph and a handshake from him.

I'd sure wish I was in your shoes! XD
Edamame
Best wishes Nepharski. I hope that you have a great time at Comic Con. I had the pleasure of meeting and chatting with Vic at Otakon 2005 and he seemed like a really nice man. It was also a great experience to get to watch them do the dub for episode twenty-seven. I hope that you do not run into any crazed fangirls...they are most certainly frightening.
Petalchaser
...so... maybe we can trade places ne? *grin*
Nepharski
Thank you, my friends and comrades. I have returned victorious! I found where the signing was to take place just in time to get a good spot in line, and there he was. Shook his hand (twice), got four promo posters signed and the front page of the FMA Manga's Profiles, and even a photo (Disposable camera, not digial, so don't expect to see the prints any time soon).

Very nice guy. Polite and everything.

Anyone have any FMA related questions concerning the Con?
AMAG_Chic
I think that it was awesome that you got a chance to meet the man behind your favorite character, Edward Elric, and I bet you had a wonderful time just being at the Comic Con. I actually have a oppurtunity to meet Vic Mignonga and Travis Willingham myself, since they're coming to an convention that is held near where I live. I almost decided to go, but it just wouldn't be the right time, for my life will not allow it. I hope to see them in the future though. ^.^

Anyways, whenever you get the chance to develop those pictures, make sure to post them. Also, what did he say?
Amethyst Sunset
So...what was it like being with Vic? biggrin.gif Did he tell you anything about his experiences as a voice actor, especially on FMA? I'm sure you had a great time, and I'm happy for you...if also a little envious. XD
Nepharski
QUOTE(Amethyst Sunset @ Jul 22 2006, 05:48 AM) [snapback]424433[/snapback]

So...what was it like being with Vic? biggrin.gif Did he tell you anything about his experiences as a voice actor, especially on FMA? I'm sure you had a great time, and I'm happy for you...if also a little envious. XD

Actually, I didn't have a lot of time to talk. See, there was an mob of people lined to to see him and Aaron, so we didn't exactly get to take five and tea, you know? Still, he was really polite and enthusiastic. He'd made jokes with a lot of the people in line. He asked my name and when I told him, he signed one of my things "Thanks Andrew." Very amiable.

I'll see if I can scan some of the signatures later.
PUKE
Vic certainly sounds like a pleasant person from what I hear from him. My friends got to meet him in person, so they also told me their experiences.

Although I prefer Romi Paku's job on Edo, I wouldn't mind meeting him. :) Hopefully he'll be at Oni-con.
Edamame
I am glad that you had such a great time at the convention Nepharski. I'm happy that you got to meet Vic and not only get autographs but pictures as well. I still have my Conqueror of Shambala poster that he signed "Not a Shrimp."
Nepharski
QUOTE(Edamame @ Jul 22 2006, 02:52 PM) [snapback]424594[/snapback]

I am glad that you had such a great time at the convention Nepharski. I'm happy that you got to meet Vic and not only get autographs but pictures as well. I still have my Conqueror of Shambala poster that he signed "Not a Shrimp."

Ha ha ha. Some of us in line were planning on telling that he's "Not as short as he sounds," but I forget to mention it. On the plus side, I got Vic (and Aaron) to sign a lot of things. Everyone in line was allowed up to five signatures. A guy in front of me had five volumes of the Manga under his arm. FMA was widespread around the Con, so there were four different locations to get free FMA posters from the series and the movie. I got all four, so he signed all four.
Edamame
That's great that they were giving out free poster. At Otakon you have to pay for everything. I rather like my movie poster even though I cannot seem to find it anywhere else.
Nepharski
QUOTE(Edamame @ Jul 23 2006, 01:54 PM) [snapback]424893[/snapback]

That's great that they were giving out free poster. At Otakon you have to pay for everything.

That sucks. You really should come to the Comic Con one of these years. They know the true value of "Freebies." You get all kinds of crazy stuff just for walking through the doors.

Oh, and one other nifty feature I forgot to mention: Funimation had a huge area set aside for the Conqueror movie, and they played different clips from the English translation, as well as an video interview with plenty of VA cast members from the series.
Petalchaser
QUOTE(Nepharski @ Jul 21 2006, 08:51 PM) [snapback]424288[/snapback]

Thank you, my friends and comrades. I have returned victorious! I found where the signing was to take place just in time to get a good spot in line, and there he was. Shook his hand (twice), got four promo posters signed and the front page of the FMA Manga's Profiles, and even a photo (Disposable camera, not digial, so don't expect to see the prints any time soon).

...*seethes with pure jealousy* lol, you're gonna post those pics right...?
Nepharski
QUOTE(Petalchaser @ Jul 23 2006, 03:31 PM) [snapback]424915[/snapback]

QUOTE(Nepharski @ Jul 21 2006, 08:51 PM) [snapback]424288[/snapback]

...*seethes with pure jealousy* lol, you're gonna post those pics right...?

Well, they were taken with a Disposable camera, so I'll want to use up all the pictures, then it may take awhile to get them developed, but yeah...I'll post them eventually.
Edamame
In your opinionl, how was the English version of Conqueror? (Well, the clips that you saw at least.) I have only seen it in Japanese and did not understand some of the finer details, so I am waiting until it comes out in Europe whenever that shall be. Gah, I wish I could have gone. Conventions in Europe are pretty sub-par in my opinion.
Wyrd_Raven
QUOTE(Edamame @ Jul 24 2006, 12:59 PM) [snapback]425170[/snapback]

In your opinionl, how was the English version of Conqueror? (Well, the clips that you saw at least.) I have only seen it in Japanese and did not understand some of the finer details, so I am waiting until it comes out in Europe whenever that shall be. Gah, I wish I could have gone. Conventions in Europe are pretty sub-par in my opinion.

How far are you in watching FMA? That may be part of the cause. The movie is basically a super long episode 52 to alot of people.
Edamame
QUOTE(Wyrd_Raven @ Jul 24 2006, 05:27 PM) [snapback]425177[/snapback]

QUOTE(Edamame @ Jul 24 2006, 12:59 PM) [snapback]425170[/snapback]

How far are you in watching FMA? That may be part of the cause. The movie is basically a super long episode 52 to alot of people.

I have seen all of the episodes including the movie. The movie did not feel like an extended episode in my opinion though. However, I saw the movie in Japanese and was just questioning Nepharski what he thought of the English dub of the movie, because I am rather interested to see it when it comes out in Europe.
Nepharski
QUOTE(Edamame @ Jul 24 2006, 09:59 AM) [snapback]425170[/snapback]

Not to shabby, but it was hard to hear some of the finer points of dialogue over the din of noise and people talking. Scenes previewed were exceprts the masked bomber, Edward protecting Noah from some of the Thule Society's lackies, Envy's dragon form, Lior's invasion, and Wrath vs. Gluttony. Since it's rather hard to see it in soundbite fashion, I'll simply say that my only complaint is with that one masked guy in the begining...he had the right voice, but was only so-so on delivering some of his lines (not bad, but subpar). All returning cast members from the show proved just as good as they've always been. Never showed Rudolf Hess or Dietane Ekhart, though, so I've no idea what they sound like.

The American DVD release is slated for September, and will be accompanied by a theatrical release on September 8th.
Edamame
Wow, I still wish that I could have attended. Thank you for all of the information Nepharski. At this rate I will probably end up pre-ordering the English version because I know that the Spanish dub will make me cringe like none-other.
Dark Night Alchemist
I've met Vic! He's lovely! Since I'm a Risembool Ranger, the other Rangers and I got to spend a little time with Vic all to ourselves! It was so cool, I drew him a big poster of all of the UK Rangers and he gave me a hug and a kiss.

*much squeeees here*
Alchemical
Even though I'm a Ranger, I've never been able to attend any Ranger dinners or anything to get to know Vic better, but I have met him once (it was a hilarious panel along with Aaron and Travis, too^^) He's a great guy, and he can make you laugh easily. I love him. ^^

I wanted to go to Comic Con, but I decided to get three-day passes for AWA in September. He's going to be there, too. smile.gif
Serenity-Moon Elric
(Sorry I posted this in the wrong place!!)

Hi guys!!! I just got back from the amazing Anime Festival in Wichita (fairly small compared to San Diago, but just as equally as awesome!!!) ! The amazing Vic Mignogna (who is soooooo dreamy! and I am so in love with him!) was there!! I got to experience something very rare. When I met him, I met this wonderful man who loves his fans and takes time out of his REALLY big schedule to spend time with them and tell them how much he appreciates them! This is something that I don't see in many people, especially those of celebrity status. For example, this girl (probably in her late teens) and her mother made and sent Vic a pillow. Her mother has terrible arthritus and had to push towards the end to finish. Her mother couldn't come to the con, so the daughter asked Vic if he would mind saying something into her video camera for her mom. I was walking through the lobby when he did this and became immediately moved to tears! He didn't just say a few words, but an entire message that was so sweet! That's something you just don't see. So basically, if anyone of you guys EVER get to meet this oh-so-dreamy, wonderful man, spend the time waiting for his autograph and let him know that you really appreciate his work. Not just as a voice actor, but as an actor, musician, graphic designer, and above all, an amazing human being!!

Thanks guys for taking the time out to read this!! I would love to read more responses and stories dealing with your own, personal Vic experiences and (for those who don't know) make sure to visit these sites:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vic_Mignogna
http://www.risemboolrangers.com/
http://www.vicsworld.net/home.htm

...and his many YouTube videos! (Especially "Brothers"!!)

~ Serenity-Moon Elric
natsu-hime
you guys are so lucky...i live far away in indonesia i just get to email him twice and watch the con videos that's all
wish me luck so i can visit US in 2008 and meet him in a con T^T
Fushi
I met Vic about a week ago at Animethon. He is indeed a nice and funny man. We all lol'd lots during the Q & A with him. He sung happy birthday to a girl after he discovered they had the same birthday (August 27 I believe) which was very sweet. (lol, the clip of that's on youtube now >3<)

I was gonna throw my Roy plushie at him after he said that he wanted a t-shirt that said "plushies can't fight back" but someone else behind me beat me to it and threw his Vincent Valentine plushie. Damnit, it would've been funnier if I threw my Roy one! >_<

But yeah, he signed my volume of FMA manga and me and my friend got a picture with him. I asked him to come back next year so I could give him a doujinshii, but animethon is so small, I wonder if they can afford his accomendations again, or op to bring in different VAs instead.

So, yes, very nice man. I'd like to encourage others to go and meet him if they have the chance and he's at a nearby con.

A little funy bit tho, originally I wanted in to the first panel, but they cut the line off right in front of me, and they told me and my friend that they were gonna have a second one later. So we go shopping then come back to linger at the room so as to get a good space in line. I'm just standing there letting my sign hang (I had a big sign I was wearing and it was heavy) when I hear some girls getting excited. For a moment I didn't really care about them, till finally I say to myself "Okay, what's going on?" and there, right in front of me with his back turned to me is Vic.

I didn't even realize ANYONE was there. Either he has prowlness or my awareness level is nil. (probably the latter. I missed an opportiniuty to talk to Tiffany Grant -known mostly for the role of Asuka in Eva- later that day for nearly the same reason. She started talking to my friend in the dealer's hall just as I ran off to snap a picture of an Envy cosplayer. Damn me.)
Serenity-Moon Elric
QUOTE(Nepharski @ Jul 21 2006, 10:51 PM) *

Hey! Wasn't he just great?! I got to meet Vic this weekend in Wichita, Kansas! It was an experience that completed my life! I could have died that afternoon with no regrets! I waited in line for over an hour (they were beginning to cut the line off so we all squeezed forward!) and I would have waited for forever just to meet him! He signed all my stuff, talked to me, then stood up to give me a hug!

For those of you who actually know where Oklahoma City is, he'll be here November 2, 2007 at the Izumicon!! Hope to ya'll there!

~ Serenity-Moon Elric
Triss Hawkeye
Aw, Vic's a wonderful person...I've never met him but I really want to - just watching the YouTube videos of his panels and stuff is awesome. Next time he comes to the UK I'm going to try and be there no matter what! ><
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.