Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thread For Ed X Heindrich Fans!
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > FMA Character Discussions
Ishbal~Alchemist
...might as well be me who brings it! Since starting a thread is the hardest part, here are some topics of conversation, I guess....

How did you get in to HeixEd?
Why do you like it?
Know of any links to some good heixed fanart/fics?
And if you don't like it, why?

Since Monkeh proclaimed me 'Tthe Goddess of HeixEd' I figured we should at least have a thread about it!
Ishbal~Alchemist
As for me, Tetra-san (aka Knil) got me into it, with her fanfic, 'Song of a Bluebird'. I like it... because... there's a ton of evidence of it!!! X3. I know lots of links for good heixed fics.... I guess I'll post them later once the thread get's going. Anyway, evidence is another thing we can talk about!! HEE!!!!
Toby-Chan
Evidence that could just as easily, if not far more logically be construed as painstakingly platonic. Considering, you know, the whole almost-incest thing.

Unless you also wish to believe that Ed wants his little brother 'in that way', then it's hard to portray the pairing without much awkwardness. Even accepting that Hei is a different person, and a good friend on a different level than his brother, there is still the fact that Hei has to hold at least a little bit of Al-ness in him, and Ed, even if he is attracted to Hei, without feeling the same for his brother, ought to be a little squicked by the thought at first.
Colette
..I prefer HeixNoa.
Toby-Chan
Yes, yes.

Anyway, I don't really mind this pairing. In fact, it oddly does nothing to my squick senses, and I'm much more bothered with further separated psuedocest like IzumixEd/ HughesxEd than this one.

Perhaps because sibcest is less squicky in the first place than intergenerational, (*shudder*), and it's more frequent to think of a friend 'like' a sibling and move on from that. Granted, this is rare, but since when does fandom feed off reality. Really. tongue.gif

Plus, there's the fact that Alfons has registered from the beginning in my mind as completely different from Al. Not only physically, but they are simply and obviously two different people.

(And, I think Alfons x Al is amusing...)
Nepharski
Monkeh, funerals aren't just about death. To many people, they're a celebration of a life well lived. Noah's intentions were honest and good, I can assure you.
QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Jul 16 2006, 10:10 PM) [snapback]422604[/snapback]
I think perhaps the error in assumption with most of these pairings (such as Envy/Ed) is the thought that 'pairing' connotates 'couple', 'lovers', 'cuddly snugglebunnies who hold hands and share milkshakes', etcetera. Very often, (for example, as with Eckart/Noa) the focus is not on honest romance of any sort, but of manipulation and exploring the messed up, bold and power hungry aspects of Eckart's character, wherein for example, a perversion of a romantic scenario is simulated, however, it is all a vignette study on a villain and her sick mind.

Most Envy 'pairings' go by similar logic.

Oh really? My, but you learn new things every day.
Ishbal~Alchemist
I really think that what people get wrong is thinking HeixEd is like incest. Heiderich and Alphonse are not the same person!!!! They just look alike.... that would be like Hughes and Alter!Hughes being the same person, and the two are nothing alike!! Perhaps some think that Ed likes Heiderich because he reminds him of Al..... but that's not neccesarily true. For example, someone might NEVER fall in love with their own brother, but they might fall in love with someone who LOOKS like their brother.
Toby-Chan
QUOTE(Ishbal~Alchemist @ Jul 18 2006, 07:54 PM) [snapback]423179[/snapback]

I really think that what people get wrong is thinking HeixEd is like incest. Heiderich and Alphonse are not the same person!!!! They just look alike.... that would be like Hughes and Alter!Hughes being the same person, and the two are nothing alike!! Perhaps some think that Ed likes Heiderich because he reminds him of Al..... but that's not neccesarily true. For example, someone might NEVER fall in love with their own brother, but they might fall in love with someone who LOOKS like their brother.

You still can't ignore that someone with the appearance of someone you would be grossed out to think of sexually probably isn't going to be likely to become attractive very easily.

It reminds me of some little fancomic...

Al: What, so my brother will bang the guy who looks like me, but he doesn't want me? What is the deal, fandom?

And aside from that, I disagree with the kneejerk assumption that Alter!Hughes and regular Hughes are 'nothing' alike, from the few glimpses we see of him expressing racist concerns and supporting the budding party. We don't really see anything from him on a personal level; just on a social level, in an era and society where it was acceptable, and practical for such sentiments to be held. The early nazi party was seen as a good idea, that would get a struggling country back up on its feet. Plus, it's apparent that alter!Hughes is not yet near the part of his life that we saw regular Hughes at. He hasn't yet begun to court Gracia, which I think might mark a turn of 'true' personality in his character, as hinted at the end of the movie. We didn't get to see more than a few meager hints of a character arc with him, but I think the overall sentiment is that the future is good for him; that falling in love with a tolerant and accepting person such as Gracia would be good for him and help his natural soft nature surface.

Blah, tangent. Where were we...?

But yeah, I sometimes have a hard time backtracking enough to remember that Alfons and Al are supposed to even be doubles or divided parts of the same person, because they just register as completely different human beings in my mind. But I think also that a lot of Alfons' appeal comes from the fact that his supposed connection or alternation of Al is a springboard to admiration of his character. That is certainly what brought Ed towards him. Possibly a reason why Al would seek out Wrath's comradery as well. A connection to that missing part of both their lives.
AMAG_Chic
QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Jul 17 2006, 10:38 PM) [snapback]422858[/snapback]

Plus, there's the fact that Alfons has registered from the beginning in my mind as completely different from Al. Not only physically, but they are simply and obviously two different people.

I completely agree with this statement! I don't see it as a incest at all, because A.H. and A.E. are different people. Even Edward understood that! Also I don't understand why anyone would consider it as incest, when they're not even related. However, I don't care if authors write about incest couples, because it doesn't reflect who the authors really are or even the people that reads them. It is only fanfiction, nothing more. So, I have no issues towards these fictional couple or any other couples. blink.gif

_Jelly
I actually dont mind EdxHei, its pretty nice. I dont know, I jsut read it for fun sometimes. I always thought people mostly liked yaoi because they liked watching/readnig about guys getting into each othes pants. Partly wrong. I see EdxHei is actually quite different.

EdxHei is not liek incest, yes thank you. xD Hei looks like Aru, but so? o_O MAYBE people just think Ed wants to be near him ALOT because he looks alot like Aru and only wants to continue being near him because of that O_O Hmm =\ I'm now confused. I'll be going. I have to think. >.<
Toby-Chan
Ed should never call Heiderich 'Heidi' as a pet name. Not that I've seen it happen, but just- you know, preemptive, since I know how fangirls are.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.