Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Fma Art
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fanworks > Fanarts
Another-Tragedy
Thanks for looking. I've been watching the show for a while now, but just recently had some free time to start doing some drawing. Only two peices done so far. I will have more coming soon. I'm also planning on adding some color to them down the road. Any comments, suggestions, criticisms are more than welcome. You can view the full size images here: http://another-tragedy.deviantart.com

I'll give you a small preview...

IPB Image

and

IPB Image

I also will take requests, provided you give me a decent image to go off of. I primarily only do pen and ink for now however. I'm still learning how to use Illustrator.
Ailuro
The fact they resemble pictures like this is pure coincidence, right? You fail to mention anything about taking existing images and creating lineart out of them as well. Give credit where credit is due, or you may find it hard to post one of these days.
Another-Tragedy
Yeah, that's the sample image...your point is? The other image is from the second soundtrack. Those that know the work know good and well where the sources came from. I don't quite see your point however, please enlighten me.
Toby-Chan
QUOTE(Another-Tragedy @ Jul 14 2006, 09:08 AM) [snapback]421762[/snapback]

Yeah, that's the sample image...your point is? The other image is from the second soundtrack. Those that know the work know good and well where the sources came from. I don't quite see your point however, please enlighten me.

I think the point is that it's moral- at the very least courteous- to give credit where credit is due when you have copied a picture.

However, being one of my pet peeves in art, I'm more inclined to hope that a good artist would instead prefer to make their own original pieces rather than copying lineart, especially that which has been done many times before.
Ailuro
My point is you should say where you got the images from. Your post implies that you created the images of your own accord, with no sample images or anything of the sort. No one likes an art thief; don't make yourself look like one.
Like Toby said.
Another-Tragedy
QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Jul 14 2006, 09:25 AM) [snapback]421769[/snapback]

I think the point is that it's moral- at the very least courteous- to give credit where credit is due when you have copied a picture.

I have no issues with giving credit where credit is due. However I am unaware of who the exact artist is, so that makes things somewhat difficult.

I disagree with the "when you have just copied a picture." All be it I did not design the pose, character design, what have you, it did take quite some time to stare at my pc, and draw this shit out by hand. Calling it simply "copying" makes it seem as it was just a simple click, click, done process. I think I spent roughly 1-2 hours just on doing rough sketches alone...not to mention the other 1-2 hours of clean up, inking, and Photoshop work. If I'm going to take the time to research, design, and creat an image of my own, I want it to be exactly that, my own. I have a stack of character designs I've done, however they're not my specialty so much as recreating another anime's work.

I under what both of you are stating but realize that I did not have the intentions that it would appear. I'm not taking credit for the original artist's works, merely my own recreations of their works.
Toby-Chan
I get what you're saying completely, and I understand that it does sound a little eltist snob of me to be saying such things.

Although, now merely from an honest personal opinion standpoint, I feel like wondering aloud, where the appeal is in spending hours and hours painstakingly trying to retrace and imitate another's art image, unless you were actually part of an animation studio and had to copy it. Again, I'm speaking from a purely speculative opinion standpoint when I wonder, wouldn't it be more fulfilling to make something new out of your own skill and ideas, rather than toiling to make a perfect replica of a picture that has already been used for commercial purposes and copied many times already.

Most fanart I've seen has been of direct references. I don't assume that it takes no effort; I'm no stranger to the toils of detail, however it does take little creativity, and it's sad to me (and boring) that so much fanart is so clearly a direct retrace/ remake of some screenshot/poster/manga page that we've already seen several times before.
Another-Tragedy
QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Jul 14 2006, 09:46 AM) [snapback]421775[/snapback]

I feel like wondering aloud, where the appeal is in spending hours and hours painstakingly trying to retrace and imitate another's art image

Here is where I have the issue. I don't consider it "retracing". For me it's the challenge. Yes I know the image has been done many times over. However for me it's simply the challenege of creating the closest replica to the image. I don't retrace, believe me if you saw the rough sketches you'd understand. I'm a perfectionist, so when I see an image that I think looks amazing and that I would want to draw, I view it as a challenge. It may not seem like it takes skill to recreate these images, but to me it does. It's not easy to sit there and redraw what someone else has already drawn. I know this artist knows his subject well...he created it, so being able to remotely capture what he has done does give me some satisfaction. Hardly is it just retracing.

I do my own work, but then again it goes back to the perfectionist part of me. Any slight mess up and I immediately throw away the image and start over. The reason I don't do more of my own work is because I'm never satisfied with it. I never can look at one of my own creations and be comfortable with it, there is always something wrong, or needs to be changed, or just didn't turn out the way I had invisioned it.
Ailuro
That's great and all, everyone has their own idea of satisfaction and fun, but I still don't see any credit given. Just leave a note that says the images are from official artwork. Giving links to said artwork would be even better.
I am the Only sister Elric
That is a great picture of Vash you have in there! Got to love him.
Untitled
Great pic! But yeah, you ought to give some credit happy.gif just to show courtesy. You're really good! You should continue your work.
Annelili
oh wow! you ink your drawings very well! i sketch stuff a lot, but i just can't seem to ink anything! biggrin.gif I copy the official art a lot too... but i give credit to whatever it was from.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.