Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Envy's Abilities (thread Contains Possible Spoilers)
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1) > Original Japanese episodes (with sub)
Tyrasibion
<Closing the thread and moving from FMA Character discussion forum to FMA Anime Japanese Audience sub-forum, to be merged with "How do they do that?" thread. 02/25/07 ~Tomobow>

To be merged with "How do they do that" thread. ~Tombow.

I've been thinking about Envy's shape shifting abilities for a while. We all know he can change his appearance to whatever he wants, big or small. Considering he can change from his normal self to... [spoiler]a gigantic snake (episode 51)[/spoiler] ...means he can ignore the rule of equivalent trade, probably thanks to the red stone he has in his body.

Now, because of this, Envy could also just create things from scratch, right? In episode 50, he... [spoiler] changes into Hughes and throws knifes at Ed. Those knifes came with the uniform and appearance of Hughes.[/spoiler]

Considering he is able to do that, what would happen if he changed into someone with a big coat, and he took the coat off and changes to his normal self? Would the coat still be there, or just disappear? If it is still there, he can just make himself a coat of money, take it off, return to his normal self, and take the money off of the coat he made, and he is rich. He could just "create" many things this way; money, guns, food, anything you can think of. He could even change to a guy with a table on his back, then take the table off and return to his normal self, and he has a new table to eat on.

Considering he can change into anything, he could also just create things without actually changing into something. He could just create a gun into his hands if he wants... [spoiler]just like he did with the knifes of Hughes I just spoke of. Also, he killed Hughes (episode 25) with a gun. Where did he get the gun?[/spoiler]

What do you think of this? Is this a correct theory or is there more to it? I'd like to know how exactly Envy's shape shifting abilities affect this extra "power".

Thanks for any replies. smile.gif

EDIT: I just noticed I used the word "considering" a crapload of times. XD
Automne
I'm sure this theory is correct.

You already explained eveyrything well, so I don't know what I can say more.
Popogeejo
The gun he used to cap Hughes could have easily be stolen by turning into a soilder and aquiring a side arm.

It's an Ok theory but it's based on one assumption that he can keep what he forms.
phoenix dying
This is anime where talking about here people. Not everything has to make perfect sence, not everything has to seem logicial or coherent. (its like Armstrongs pink star thingys, when he hulks up)...I'm not confirming or denying your claims here. I'm just saying that not everything needs to have a reason behind it, expecially in anime. But each to his own, and I digress.
Nepharski
Actually, I've a few things to point out. Firstly, Envy has philosopher's stones inside itself. Not true stones in the Anime, but enough to bypass the laws of equivolent exchange, thus the whole point of procuring Philosopher's Stones for normal people. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Envy could change shape large or small, abilities resting in some minor part off the Philosopher's Stone(s) inside. I'm sure they grant homunculi more than just regenerative properties.

Furthermore, as is pointed out in the Manga, you can shift bulk and size around, but the weight of the mass is always the same, just packed more tightly. As Envy is walking through the Forrest in the Manga, for example, it leaves huge footprints, revealing that the weight, though disguised by re-arranging and tightening in, still serves as some idea of Envy's true size. In other words, Envy's regular form is huge, but it contracts down to a more convenient size, but weight remains heavy regardless of mass re-organization.

As far as making a coat of money, I don't think it works quite like that. I think Envy takes a shape and then the clothes, if closely inspected, are part of Envy's body. I mean, take when Pride detonates later in the series. His body regenerates, and clothed I might add. Maybe that's just a self-censoring thing built into the Homunculi for practicality, but I'd wager that when Envy impersonates, say, a soldier, that uniform is actually part of Envy's body. Envy couldn't remove it, at least not entirely. As far as items like guns and such, I think Envy just needs to procure those on site.

Hope this all makes sense.
rekkakitsune
Yah and envy also has superhuman strength and agility too other than transformation.
MonsterEnvy
^You're sig's waaaay too big.

I think that the best answer is that it's just a consistency error. It happens a lot in the anime. As Nepharski said, it makes much more sense in the manga and Envy is never larger than his true form, nor does he detach bits of his body. The explanation that I would give is that, in the anime, he uses a lot of Red Stone to make objcts and things as he transmutes, and when he gets bigger. He wouldn't have to use as much if he were to get smaller because he turns the extra mass into energy for the shapeshift-thus, he weighn the right amount.
Automne
And how does it not make as much sense as in the manga then? mellow.gif Thinking that everything in the anime doesn't make sense or has errors is exaggerated, IMO.
MonsterEnvy
It makes more sense in that it's explained. Envy changes his shape, not mass, and never detaches bits of his body. It makes more sense given the alchemical laws- conservation of mass especially. It's not necessarily an error, it just was never clarified as well.
nataliel
Tyrasibion,
According to FMA manga...
I think, that`s what right: what remains after Envy`s
reconstruction is dissappearing. Remember the moment,
when Envy`s changed into Lan Fan and then Gluttony
swallowed him? The good piece of Envy has remained:
a half!!! And in the scenes, where Gluttony and Al
talking, there`s no sight of that half of the body.
I think, there`re more examples, but i can`t remember...

Now, the FMA series...
Scene (near end), where Envy-Hughes attackes Ed with
that small knives. There`s no sight of them later as well.

And i like Nepharski`s theory about mass reorganisation. smile.gif
Envy must have really superhuman strength to care such a mass -
just look at him "breakdancing" during the fight with Greed!!! smile.gif

HA! Therefore, Envy can cheat in the shops!!! biggrin.gif
Because the parts, he leaves, disappear not instantly.

Envy: Hello, i`ll take these nice things. Here`s the money.
Bye-bye! (walks away)
Shopkeeper (10 seconds later): You bastard! Police!!!

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Untitled
Well, if he changes with those parts, dont those parts become a part of him to? (lol, then what about the bullets?) Aw, I'm getting really confused...
Revolutionary Alchemist
QUOTE(Untitled @ Aug 13 2006, 08:08 AM) [snapback]432339[/snapback]

Well, if he changes with those parts, dont those parts become a part of him to? (lol, then what about the bullets?) Aw, I'm getting really confused...

Me too...my brain hurts. ><"
nataliel
Untitled,

I think Envy will just spit them out and then change form.
Just as Lust did. Remember her with Wrath`s bullets in her forehead?
xxEnvyxx

Another thing....can Envy perform an Alchemy when he imitates an alchemist?
I'm juz confused of what i saw in the Episode 1 where he imitated fr.Cornello's form & resurrect the dead birdz...How come he can DO that? juz curious... :3
nataliel
xxEnvyxx,
I think it was anime`s mistake.
Or Homunculus performed some smart trick (with a fake stone
maybe). Only one Homunculus can do alchemy - Wrath.
Envy cannot do it, even if he transforms to alchemist.
Breac
<Merged "Can Envy Perform Alchemy?" thread here. 01/23/07 ~Tombow>

I know this may sound stupid, but hear me out on this one. I ask because of the scence at the end of the 2nd episode where Envy, disgused as Cornello, goes in front of a large crowd and proceeds to raise his hands and bring the dead birds back to life for a few seconds. (Before exploding) Honestly, I think it was alchemy for several reasons. The first being is that it is possible to a homonculus is capable of alchemy if granted access to the Philosopher's Stone. Gluttony used Al's Stone to accidentally melt his jaw off. We also know Envy has at least BEEN around a Philosopher's Stone before, since he's been with Dante for around 400 years. Perhaps Envy managed to gain some alchemic powers from leftover shards. Does anyone have any thoughts regarding this topic?
Tombow
@Breac - I'm going to merge this to "Envy's abilities" thread. biggrin.gif

ETA : Thread merged. smile.gif

To be merged with "How do they do that" thread.
(Getting merged with yet another thread.)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.