Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chapter 61 "Regular" Discussion Thread For First Time Readers (and Others)
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Manga
Pages: 1, 2, 3
ElvishVamp
Kimblee talked about duty quite a bit, like when he said defeating the enemy was the duty of a soldier and saving people was the Rockbells duty. Also, when he was talking to Hawkeye. I can't remember exactly what he said to her, but it upset her a lot. Then again, he ended up eating the Philosopher's Stone and blowing up his superiors, so...yeah. I don't even remember what my point was, so I'm gonna shut up now. sleep.gif'
Queenevilless
I think the point is that Kimbley is batshit insane. biggrin.gif

One thing's been on my mind, though... while Envy's watching Kimbley blow up his superiors, he says, "Nice going, Crimson." Now, maybe he just said that because Kimbley's the *gasp* Crimson Alchemist and an alchemist's name seems to be pretty well-known, but when I first read that I thought it meant Envy knew Kimbley personally. Like, say, if the two of them had planned that little stunt together. Perhaps Kimbley's already sided with the Homunculi?
Kirara
We do know kimblee has SOME sense of morals though... he said 'i like people who stick to their goals

I don’t see that as a moral but an outlook on life one that I disagree with. In general it is good for a person to stick to their goals but what if your goal is killing a race of people. According to Kimbley no matter what your duty is you should stick to it and this hardly shows Kimbley had any morals.
Aoko-chan
I doubt that he actually wanted to punish the military. He could have some grudge agaisn't the military, that's why he was locked up... BUT, when he swallowed the stone in the first place, I don't think I saw anything hinting about him wanting to punish the military. Also including his action of blowing up his superiors, and killing a bunch of people along the way, and using his subordinate as a sheild, doesn't show that he had a lot of morals in the area concerning people's lives (he COULD have morals in other areas, but I doubt he had alot in that certain area).
Antimony
Envy seemed to know what Kimbley was going to do. Maybe Father predicted that he'd swallow the stone and sent Envy to capture him? They might want to use him for something else if not to open the Gates.
Nil-chan
It's most probable they want him to open the gate to use him as a human sacrifice. I mean, they need powerful lchemists, right? That's probably one of the reasons he was kept alive in lab 5 as well.
Drool Alchemist
In chap 60, Kimbley talks about liking that kind of "humans" (I mean, talks about "humans" the same way as Bradley does); other officer asks him about that and he quickly changes the subject.

If this hint is as good as all others that Arakawa shoots at us, Kimbley isn't really human.
ElvishVamp
If I remember correctly, isn't there a scene, again can't remember what chapter, in which the higher-ups in the military are talking about human sacrifice candidates and they almost immediately disregard Kimbley? In that case, I don't think they're keeping him around as a human sacrifice.
Panda_Battle
QUOTE(Drool Alchemist @ Jul 21 2006, 10:46 PM) [snapback]424346[/snapback]

In chap 60, Kimbley talks about liking that kind of "humans" (I mean, talks about "humans" the same way as Bradley does); other officer asks him about that and he quickly changes the subject.

If this hint is as good as all others that Arakawa shoots at us, Kimbley isn't really human.

i agree kimbley might not be human but i don't think he is a homnucli either so i am not really sure what he is if he isn't human.
Nepharski
At this point, I'm just going to declare that I have no idea what Kimbley is, so I can only wait and find out. First he's definitely human, than he's probably Homunculus, then he's blah blah blah.
Antimony
I'm pretty sure Kimbley started out as a regular human, but after swallowing that stone there must be something different about him. I have no idea what that is, but I doubt he's a homunculus now because that's just way too predictable.
Sannom
Perharps he is some kind of "little Father" : he doesn't obey equivalent exchange anymore, perharps he can do transmutation without moving anythin, like Cornello...
Sensenic
QUOTE(Aoko-chan @ Jul 21 2006, 06:20 AM) [snapback]423814[/snapback]

QUOTE(Nil-chan @ Jul 21 2006, 10:18 AM) [snapback]423755[/snapback]

Kimblee eating the stone? I think it's just like him having the stone with him at all times. We're not sure it was the completed version of the stone either, but from what we know, the stone has to enter the blood stream for him to become a homunculus, and we know he can't be Sloth or Pride, since both of them were created long before Kimblee was born. I think eating it was just his way of keeping it in his pocket, except no one would steal it. You have to wonder though, if the stone ever passed through his system... o_0

Yeah, him eating the stone ensures him that he will have that power with him at all times. I doubt that it was the completed stone, like the ones that were used with Ling and Bradley (those stones were "made" by Father). I think that this stone was made by a group of scientists/alchemists/doctors like Marcoh.

It was. We were shown explicitly how Marcoh brought that very stone to the military people who would give it to Kimbley (and die at his hands later happy.gif)
QUOTE(Aoko-chan @ Jul 21 2006, 06:20 AM) [snapback]423814[/snapback]
Maybe, I'm not sure. I want to know how eating the stone has affected him. I doubt that the stone passed through his system fully, because if it did, more effects should've been shown. Maybe it somewhat passed through, but not to the extent of Ling or Wrath. Even if the stone passed through his system, it didn't have alot of physical effects yet from what we saw of him in volume 3 or 4. Emotional/pyscological effects, maybe, but then again, this is Kimbley who wasn't quite "normal" from the beginning (as of Ishval flashback).

I wonder, though, how Kimbley's stone will be used in the future. I think that it's still preserved within his stomach (let's hope its stomach-acid resistant so it won't loose its properties like Lust's stone when she died).

Agreed.

What I don't understand is, if the Stone could resist digestion, how come it stayed within Kimbley instead of going out, you know, the "usual" way? happy.gifU
Would he eat it again after it.....? Yuck ( >.<) I'll shut up now.
Yeah, I'm assuming he still has it inside here, which is the most probable scenario.
QUOTE(Nil-chan @ Jul 22 2006, 05:59 AM) [snapback]424296[/snapback]

It's most probable they want him to open the gate to use him as a human sacrifice. I mean, they need powerful lchemists, right? That's probably one of the reasons he was kept alive in lab 5 as well.

No, see...
QUOTE(ElvishVamp @ Jul 22 2006, 09:29 AM) [snapback]424367[/snapback]

If I remember correctly, isn't there a scene, again can't remember what chapter, in which the higher-ups in the military are talking about human sacrifice candidates and they almost immediately disregard Kimbley? In that case, I don't think they're keeping him around as a human sacrifice.

You remember correctly. Specifically, they said he didn't "have the guts".
ElvishVamp
QUOTE(Sensenic @ Jul 23 2006, 11:32 AM) [snapback]424797[/snapback]

What I don't understand is, if the Stone could resist digestion, how come it stayed within Kimbley instead of going out, you know, the "usual" way? happy.gifU
Yeah, I'm assuming he still has it inside here, which is the most probable scenario.

Maybe the Stone got absorbed into his blood or something...? Yeah, I have no clue what I'm talking about.

QUOTE(Sensenic @ Jul 23 2006, 11:32 AM) [snapback]424797[/snapback]

QUOTE(Nil-chan @ Jul 22 2006, 05:59 AM) [snapback]424296[/snapback]

No, see...
QUOTE(ElvishVamp @ Jul 22 2006, 09:29 AM) [snapback]424367[/snapback]

You remember correctly. Specifically, they said he didn't "have the guts".

I'm glad it's not just me remembering things that didn't actually happen. happy.gif Wouldn't be the first time. However, that puts us back at square one. Why keep Kimbley alive if they have no use for him?

Didn't Father say something about not wanting to waste the resource of a human before turning Ling into a homunculus? Maybe they're keeping him alive simple because he could be of some use later, kind of like how they kept Barry the Chopper's body alive and used it to track him down later.
Aoko-chan
QUOTE(ElvishVamp @ Jul 24 2006, 11:03 AM) [snapback]424989[/snapback]

Didn't Father say something about not wanting to waste the resource of a human before turning Ling into a homunculus? Maybe they're keeping him alive simple because he could be of some use later, kind of like how they kept Barry the Chopper's body alive and used it to track him down later.

Probably. He could (and his stone) could probably be a good use to them later. Either by directly completing Father's goals, OR do some bidding for the Homunculi I have this weird feeling that there is gonna be a Roy vs Kimbley thing going on
CowAlchemist
I really don't know what's up with Kimbley. I just think he's crazy. He's a very craaaaaaaaazy man.

I'll give him my therapist's card. Maybe that'll help. sleep.gif;;

Is he human? I really don't think so. He HAS had the same attitude toward humans as the Fuhrer(sp?). Anyhoo, I just want to see Ed and Al again.

QUOTE(Nepharski @ Jul 22 2006, 12:33 PM) [snapback]424531[/snapback]

At this point, I'm just going to declare that I have no idea what Kimbley is, so I can only wait and find out. First he's definitely human, than he's probably Homunculus, then he's blah blah blah.

I FIGURED IT OUT.
He's a munchkin from the wizard of oz.

As funny as it would be to see him eat his own... yeah, I'm assuming it is absorbed in his bloodstream.

The end. ^^
Gekkou no Renkinjustsushi
QUOTE(Antimony @ Jul 6 2006, 07:41 AM) [snapback]419316[/snapback]

(For those of you who don't know, new FMA chapters are usually released on the 10th of each month, with fanmade translations following shortly afterward.)

By the end of the last chapter Kimbley had just begun to attack Scar's village. What happens next will be the climax that we've been waiting to see for months. Up to now, I confess, I've been kind of bored with the past few chapters. Military subjects make my eyes glaze over and the main characters (Ed, Al and Winry) only appeared in one panel. I really just want to see this whole flashback arc over with soon so we can get back to the present day, but I'm grateful for whatever Hiromu-sensei grants us.

Once the chapter is posted online we can turn this into a spoiler party thread and discuss it. In the meantime post your speculations and thoughts here. Over and out.

;___; I want the flashback to be over, too. But, the past few chapters have had a lot of newer information.
MasterKris
Finally I read chap 61. It was good, the war ended now. Now we know of Riza's tattoo. The Death Note omake thingy at the end was amusing. biggrin.gif
Antimony
I wonder how much of this Ed will actually know in Ch. 62? Would Riza really tell him about the tattoo, and how would he react to it? And will Scar really kill Marcoh like he wanted, or leave him to suffer even more?
Nepharski
QUOTE(Antimony @ Jul 25 2006, 01:55 PM) [snapback]425555[/snapback]

I wonder how much of this Ed will actually know in Ch. 62? Would Riza really tell him about the tattoo, and how would he react to it? And will Scar really kill Marcoh like he wanted, or leave him to suffer even more?

I still think Scar will kill Marcoh, but it will be out of mercy as he did for Nina, not hatred like he's probably going to do for Kimbley.
Colette
I think if Scar doesn't kill him, he'll tell/make him help to make up for what he did.
TidyKiwi
I think Scar will kill him aswell.

Oh yeah and off topic but Nepharski i just noticed your sig, did Riza really shoot Roy sometime or am i just missing something?
ElvishVamp
I don't think Scar is going to kill him just because so many people are coming to that conclusion and Arakawa-sensei has proven herself to be extremely unpredictable, but...well, I just can't think what else he could do.
Animeoldtimer
I'd say that he would be about to kill him but would be interrupted by someone such as Envy. I'm assuming Envy has returned to his human form.
Nepharski
QUOTE(TidyKiwi @ Jul 26 2006, 12:11 AM) [snapback]425810[/snapback]

I think Scar will kill him aswell.

Oh yeah and off topic but Nepharski i just noticed your sig, did Riza really shoot Roy sometime or am i just missing something?

It's a referance to the Anime. It deals with some fan controversy with the final episode.
I don't think Scar is going to kill him just because so many people are coming to that conclusion and Arakawa-sensei has proven herself to be extremely unpredictable

Ah, but now that you've predicted that she won't kill him, she can't do that either. What now!?

Just because one plot point is predictable doesn't mean it's bad, just that it's the obvious path for things to go.
Keos
This was truly a great chapter - all backstories have been told and now we know of the pact between Roy and Riza. It should be back to modern day next chapter I think... Can't wait ^ ^
ElvishVamp
QUOTE(Nepharski @ Jul 26 2006, 09:38 PM) [snapback]426021[/snapback]

I don't think Scar is going to kill him just because so many people are coming to that conclusion and Arakawa-sensei has proven herself to be extremely unpredictable

Ah, but now that you've predicted that she won't kill him, she can't do that either. What now!?

Just because one plot point is predictable doesn't mean it's bad, just that it's the obvious path for things to go.

I'm not saying there's no way she could kill him and I don't mean it would be bad if she does. I'm just saying that usually she does something totally unpredictable with situations like this. I think there's probably going to be more to this than just Scar kills him or he doesn't.
Automne
QUOTE(Nepharski Posted Jul 26 2006 @ 06:38 PM)

And maybe she knows that everyone thinks she's not gonna do this because it is too predictable and she's actually gonna do this. My brain...
Antimony
I don't know what reason Marcoh could still have to be in the story. He's done all the important stuff he was supposed to do. What's the point of keeping him alive if there's nothing left for him to do? Or maybe Arakawa has plans for him that I can't think of. Who am I to jump to conclusions?
MonsterEnvy
I think that if Marcoh is left alive than he'll play another important part. Otherwise, Arakawa will probably take the oppurtunity to tie up the loose end.

Personally, I thought that this was an amazing chapter. It finally showed how Scar got his arm, which was something that I'd been looking forward to for a while. It was remarkably similar to the anime, though. I've been bad and haven't read through most of the thread, but I'll just throw this out- it's just been proven that Ed can get his limbs back. It might cost the life of whoever transmutes them on, and he might have trouble getting his own limbs back, but it can still happen. Scar's brother has shown that creating a new cyclical flow in a person is possible, whereas Mei had said it was not.

Scar's brother's research notebook will probably also play a part, hopefully. There was certainly some forshadowing there.

As for Kimbley- thinking about him more, it seems less likely that he must stay in jail than that he's kept there. Sure, they keep his hands apart, but he could always do something like scratch one of the circles into a wall and touch the opposite hand to it. Especially considering that he's constantly in close contact with a stone, it would be no problem. Personally, I think that Gluttony and Lust took him down. Lust didn't seem to have that many lives- Mustang only made her completely regenerate her body five or six times. It's not that many for a stone with that many souls in it. The logical conclusion is that she had already been badly injured and had never regenerated like Gluttony because Father had always needed her on the front lines. Gluttony's been killed more often, but still not as many times as I would expect him to need to be. Bradley killed Greed seven or eight times, and Ed cut him up pretty badly yet they still immersed him in acid to make him constantly regenerate his entire body and it still took him a period of time to 'die' and become the stone for Father to drink.

-to be continued, i'm falling asleep-
Nepharski
QUOTE(MonsterEnvy @ Jul 30 2006, 03:41 PM) [snapback]427504[/snapback]

I think that if Marcoh is left alive than he'll play another important part. Otherwise, Arakawa will probably take the oppurtunity to tie up the loose end.

Personally, I thought that this was an amazing chapter. It finally showed how Scar got his arm, which was something that I'd been looking forward to for a while. It was remarkably similar to the anime, though. I've been bad and haven't read through most of the thread, but I'll just throw this out- it's just been proven that Ed can get his limbs back. It might cost the life of whoever transmutes them on, and he might have trouble getting his own limbs back, but it can still happen. Scar's brother has shown that creating a new cyclical flow in a person is possible, whereas Mei had said it was not.

I tought Mei only mentioned that you can't regrow limbs. If you had a limb to take, you could fasten it with Alchemy. Need to be very precise, though.

As for Kimbley- thinking about him more, it seems less likely that he must stay in jail than that he's kept there. Sure, they keep his hands apart, but he could always do something like scratch one of the circles into a wall and touch the opposite hand to it. Especially considering that he's constantly in close contact with a stone, it would be no problem. Personally, I think that Gluttony and Lust took him down. Lust didn't seem to have that many lives- Mustang only made her completely regenerate her body five or six times. It's not that many for a stone with that many souls in it. The logical conclusion is that she had already been badly injured and had never regenerated like Gluttony because Father had always needed her on the front lines. Gluttony's been killed more often, but still not as many times as I would expect him to need to be. Bradley killed Greed seven or eight times, and Ed cut him up pretty badly yet they still immersed him in acid to make him constantly regenerate his entire body and it still took him a period of time to 'die' and become the stone for Father to drink.

Certainly possible. Someone had to grab him and throw him into that hole.
Aoko-chan
QUOTE(Nepharski @ Jul 31 2006, 12:37 PM) [snapback]427593[/snapback]

QUOTE(MonsterEnvy @ Jul 30 2006, 03:41 PM) [snapback]427504[/snapback]

I tought Mei only mentioned that you can't regrow limbs. If you had a limb to take, you could fasten it with Alchemy. Need to be very precise, though.

Yeah, Mei said that you can't regrows lost limbs, meaning, at this stage, Ed cannot get his limbs yet unless he takes his limbs which Truth has in possession and attach them. In order for him to have human limbs without going to Truth, someone needs to give up limbs for him (like what Scar bro did for Scar). Scar bro gave up his arm and attached it to Scar using Alchemy, he didn't regrow it.
Michiyo-
First time FMA manga readers, please post your thoughts and discussions on chapter 61 here. smile.gif

Those who have already read further chapters are also welcome to join the discussions, but please do not post any future chapter content on this thread.

This thread is Spoiler Party thread for chapter 61 content, meaning, posters do not have to use Spoiler tags while posting about chapter 61 content on this thread. smile.gif

For the reading reference, please send a PM to A Pierrot's Aria and ask for "Reading Reference Assistance for week 56."
(For more detailed explanation on this, please read Tombow's post here.)

Thank you, A Pierrot’s Aria, for all your help!! ^^
Michiyo-
reserved for chapter information
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.