Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cosplay! Put your cosplay pics and discussions here! :)
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Conventions and Cosplays > Cosplay
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Fushi
Ohhh~! I didn't know much about hoops, so I'll look into buying one of those and just getting a crinolenne made.

Both of those wigs look good. I'm leaning towards the first. I should probably buy a wig too...that way I can get around my fryed hair and also do a Souseiseki the next day with my hair cut.

Yeah, I think this year I'll work towards getting hold of a Souseiseki costume, that way I can do them both at one con on separate days. I'll reuse the vest I'm making for both costumes. The only big trouble is a top hat. Those things are bloody expensive! o_o
CodenameElizabeth
Top-hats... yeah... my one friend got one off of EBay, but I still think he paid $100-$200 or something for it.

Question about CosplayStar: how much do they actually charge for shipping? The item description says $39.99, but the item price says $55 or something. I know you are in Canada, so it might be different for Canada and US buyers. Just curious.
Fushi
To ship here to Canada, it was around $55. I don't know, I think you're best assuming it will be around $50.

I went to a hat store and the top hat prices were ridiculous. T.T Really why must they be that expensive?
Anne Packrat
QUOTE(Fushigi Rockna @ Sep 4 2007, 02:10 PM) *
To ship here to Canada, it was around $55. I don't know, I think you're best assuming it will be around $50.

I went to a hat store and the top hat prices were ridiculous. T.T Really why must they be that expensive?

You can buy a cheap plastic one at a party store and cover it in felt / fabric. That's what my friend did for the Baron costume here and it turned out pretty well:
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=826402

Or you can make your own using stiffened felt and regular felt. I did that for the fedora on my Pandaikon here:
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1094516
CodenameElizabeth
QUOTE(Anne Packrat @ Sep 4 2007, 11:31 PM) *
You can buy a cheap plastic one at a party store and cover it in felt / fabric. That's what my friend did for the Baron costume here and it turned out pretty well:
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=826402

Wow-- that actually DOES look REALLY good!
Chiyo
Oh wow, I love that trio, never would have thought of them.

Tempted to either buy a Saber costume or an Haruhi Suzumiya costume (well the uniform, I wouldn't be Haruhi)
CodenameElizabeth
SABER!! I totally want that costume, but THAT is one I want to make myself. So I can compete with it. The one thing that is stopping me is armormaking and figuring out how to properly do that scalloped hem.

Oh, and for untraditional FMA cosplay...
A friend's dog:

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1258676

XD

(You, know, this IS technically a crossplay since the dog is a boy...)
Chiyo
What? No 'Winry was always a dog' comments from the fangirls? Wow

Anywho I love this Saber costume, though there are a few to buy I might get this one.

Oh and her, I bumped into cam-whore today, she told me to show you this
Anne Packrat
QUOTE(Chiyo @ Sep 14 2007, 06:54 AM) *

Er, I cosplayed Winry's dog, does that count?

And I have a Melancholy of Haruhi costume too, and I'm almost certain I'm the only one to do it. (And the only one who'll ever do it.)
~Kurenai~
oh, that is a nice Saber costume!!

omg, hilarious vid CodenameElizabeth (the one on the "birds and the bees") XD

I love the last part I almost fell outta my chair!!!
Chiyo
QUOTE(Anne Packrat @ Sep 16 2007, 04:31 AM) *

And I have a Melancholy of Haruhi costume too, and I'm almost certain I'm the only one to do it. (And the only one who'll ever do it.)

I meant no-one insulted Winry yet...nevermind

As for Haruhi, I've seen loads of the school uniform cosplay (I might get one, thought about it after doing the dance), no-one done the bunny outfit yet
Anne Packrat
QUOTE(Chiyo @ Sep 17 2007, 07:00 AM) *
QUOTE(Anne Packrat @ Sep 16 2007, 04:31 AM) *

I meant no-one insulted Winry yet...nevermind

As for Haruhi, I've seen loads of the school uniform cosplay (I might get one, thought about it after doing the dance), no-one done the bunny outfit yet
<end of quote>

I know I'm being sarcastic. Sarcasm's a hobby of mine. wink.gif

Seen tons of the bunny outfit for both Mikuru and Haruhi, but not for Yuki yet. And no one but me is weird enough to do the damn cat.
asunder
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-...agazine-cosplay
New free magazine for cosplay (in japan) which will eventually make it's way to us via the powers of the internet wink.gif

edit: i like the cat :X
Chiyo
*sigh* I saw the sarcasm a mile off (I am English after all), I was simply making a point about the bunny costume, moreover I should have added 'thats appealing to the eye'.

Cool cat
Anne Packrat
QUOTE(Chiyo @ Sep 19 2007, 04:24 AM) *
*sigh* I saw the sarcasm a mile off (I am English after all), I was simply making a point about the bunny costume, moreover I should have added 'thats appealing to the eye'.

Cool cat

Yeah, you have to be in good shape to do that particular Haruhi costume.

More on topic, here's a cosplay pairing you'll probably never see again due to obscureness:

Breda and Seig Curtis
Tombow
Anne Packrat - That's a cute cat!! biggrin.gif
And, Breda and Sig pic is quite humorous. XDD
CodenameElizabeth
OMG, Anne, the Haruhi cat made me LOL hard. Sooooooo cute!!!
I love your mascots to death. I may need to get mascot tips from you in the future... a bunch of my friends and I were thinking of doing "Happy Tree Friends" for Dragon*Con next yr, but I have NEVER done a mascot before!

Chi-- I liek the Winry Dev. ID... and HonestDragonChina has some very positive feedback from cosplayers. I have been considering ordering my Suiseseki from them (either them or CosplayStar...) I'm willing to blow up to $250 on that costume, and it is totally commission material. I'll have enough going with sewing Alice, Armstrong, Excel, and Eowyn this year , so I am thinking of just going all out and getting the velvet version of ~Desu from HonestDragon...

Oh! FMA Picnic happening on 9/29!!!
Will post pics afterwards...

Chiyo
Well if it helps Liz I got a costume from them (Honest Dragon) and it came in great time and fits me perfectly, so I may get the Saber one from them too

Eowyn?! Squeee its been too long since I looked at LotR cosplays
Anne Packrat
QUOTE(CodenameElizabeth @ Sep 22 2007, 03:43 AM) *
OMG, Anne, the Haruhi cat made me LOL hard. Sooooooo cute!!!
I love your mascots to death. I may need to get mascot tips from you in the future... a bunch of my friends and I were thinking of doing "Happy Tree Friends" for Dragon*Con next yr, but I have NEVER done a mascot before!

Tips I can do. Commissions are another matter. I developed the process myself and it is a lot cheaper then most of the other processes out there.

In other news, I finally FINALLY managed to figure out how to get a Cure account with the much loved help of two friends, wikipedia and an English / Kanji translator. There's some real nice FMA cosplay on there, but a lot of the Riza Hawkeye cosplayers don't even use wigs. huh.gif
CodenameElizabeth
Since I REALLY want to focus on the wig styling and armor/weaponmaking with Saber, I was thinking of ordering the costume too. I've kind of had it with sewing, and I want to work with materials like Wonderflex and Fosshape and whatnot. Got too much crap to sew next year... blarghhh...

Anne, what I was particularly looking for help with Re: mascots was the sub-structure. I have friends who have used plastic canvas for it, with AMAZING and cost-effective results. Also, one of my friend also knoes how to make the body part (fursuit, or whatever you want to call it) kind of "filled out". I don't know what she used though. I THINK it was polyfill. It was for a Fox McCloud costume, and my friend who wore it is pretty skinny and VERY tall. So she padded it out in the tummy to keep it in proportion. She did a similar thing to a Renamon costume, but in the legs and arms. Not interested in a commision-- willing to try this myself, just not familiar with the construction techniques necessary.

This is what I would REALLY love to do for Dragon*Con:

(Sniffles the Anteater from Happy Tree Friends...)
People will sh*t bricks at a Happy Tree friends group...

Do not know what this "Cure account" is (I'm sure it is some sort of Japanese cosplay site...) but I agree that getting a Riza hairstyle with a wig is incredibly difficult without re-wefting since it is so tight against the head. I would never attempt it with anything except my own hair plus extenstions. Heck, even Katie Bair failed at her Hawkeye wig, IMO, (UGH-- curly, WTF??!?) and she is an AMAZING stylist.

So I can see why a lot of cosplayers prefer to go with their own hair. But at least they could bother to bleach it. I am assuming again that these are Japanese cosplayers with very dark and difficult to bleach hair. I bought my extensios first, in order to get the right blonde as a reference color, and then began mixing my own dye, until I found the right combination of dye and toner to get a close match with the extensions. I spent a few months futzing around with this while I waited for my commission to be done... it helped kill time. (Now, the only pain in the ass thing is having to keep up the hair color... got to touch up again tonight. BLARGH.)

Photoshoot 2morrow, so expect another photo-dump from your resident camwhore.
Fushi
Actually, with the Japanese, bleaching their hair at times is a fashion statement. Ayumi Hamasaki bleached her hair at at one point (came out orangy tho) but even before her there were the ganguros who bleached their hair as white as they could get. ....but ganguros are freaky. XD

You see it now and then with girls who like more 'American' styles. Either way, they've gone blonde before and judging by how nuts Japanese cosplayers can be about accuracy, I think some would think nothing of bleaching their hair like a ganguro to pull off a perfect Riza cosplay....

What I get tired of is American cosplayers who WOULD look good with blonde hair not dying their hair when they do Riza. Brunnette Rizas = not good imo. =/ Be Sloth or Trisha if you have such nice brown hair plz.
CodenameElizabeth
Gawd, I am SOOOOOooo not a natural blonde, but I was blonde for most of my college years, so I knew it suited me. I am planning on cosplaying mostly blonde characters because of this (Saber, Eowyn, Alice, Olivia Armstrong...) Even if I need to use a wig for length reasons, at least I know the color will not look like crap with my skintone.

Some people can look completely terrible as blondes, though. For example *I* would NEVER cosplay a black-haired character becuse I cannot pull off that color with my skintone. I tried it once, and it FAILED bigtime. Only wore THAT costume once. Suiseseki is a redhead (well, Auburn-ish...) so I plan to get an auburn wig with some blonde highlights just because lighter haircolors look better for me.

Funny but true story: prior to going back to blonde the other year, my hair was magenta-pink. I KID YOU NOT.

Ganguro fashion = DO NOT WANT. >.<
Chiyo
Agreed, naturally I am quite a dull blonde so I dye it to keep it that bit brighter. I used to have dark hair and it just washed me out..I would certainly only wear a wig for darker haired cosplay.

Still, I dyed it red when I used to cosplay Scully, those days bring back memories....
Anne Packrat
QUOTE(CodenameElizabeth @ Sep 28 2007, 02:58 PM) *
Anne, what I was particularly looking for help with Re: mascots was the sub-structure. I have friends who have used plastic canvas for it, with AMAZING and cost-effective results. Also, one of my friend also knoes how to make the body part (fursuit, or whatever you want to call it) kind of "filled out". I don't know what she used though. I THINK it was polyfill. It was for a Fox McCloud costume, and my friend who wore it is pretty skinny and VERY tall. So she padded it out in the tummy to keep it in proportion. She did a similar thing to a Renamon costume, but in the legs and arms. Not interested in a commision-- willing to try this myself, just not familiar with the construction techniques necessary.

I use a wire mesh called Hardware Cloth to make the heads generally. I make it into a cylinder and secure it using copper picture wire. Then I shape it more into a ball. At the end i wire a bike helmet into it. All in all it takes between 10 - 20 hours to do a head for me. I don't use much padding per se.... I use my body's (unfortunate) natural body shape. I am looking into trying digigrade or reverse knees at some point though.

Heh, some fursuiters say my stuff isn't that good because it's not made with fur. I'm allergic to craft fur though so I can't use it. It's kind of sad really, lots of cosplayers look down on me cause they say my stuff is too close to furry and some fursuiters look down on me cause I don't use fur. sleep.gif

Oh well. Que sera sera.
CodenameElizabeth
Hardware cloth... Hmmm... never heard of it! Sounds relatively simple to work with though. And I never would have thought to use a bike helmet as a head-harnass...

There is NO WAY I'd be making this out of fur anyway. I'd actually be most inclined to use fleece.

Nice to see that there is B.S. "elitism" in the fursuiter community as well...
You know, I ~LOVE~ my hobby sometimes... dry.gif
Anne Packrat
QUOTE(CodenameElizabeth @ Oct 3 2007, 11:41 AM) *
Hardware cloth... Hmmm... never heard of it! Sounds relatively simple to work with though. And I never would have thought to use a bike helmet as a head-harnass...

There is NO WAY I'd be making this out of fur anyway. I'd actually be most inclined to use fleece.

Nice to see that there is B.S. "elitism" in the fursuiter community as well...
You know, I ~LOVE~ my hobby sometimes... dry.gif

As far as I know, Hardware Cloth is only available in the Garden Department of Home Depot. It's with the poutry mesh / chicken wire. Fleece is a wonderful fabric, keep in mind that it's very hot though.

I generally only put on my heads for pictures and I don't walk around with them on ever since I broke my ankle in costume.

For a better idea of what I mean here's some progress shots of my Mocchi:

Partway into shaping the head.

Almost done head structure. - Cat is not a necessary part of the process but will likely demand to be involved anyway.

Finished head.

Fushi
Hey, Anne...do you have instructions for making a hat like your friend did or did you already post some? I'd like to know for Halloween. (it's not really cosplay per say, but I'm being a goth loli version of the Mad Hatter, and I'm already blowing $100 on an adorable goth lolita dress, so if possible, I'd like to save money on the hat.)

Also, Liz, I skimmed over that earlier, but....go with HonestDragon for Desu. CosplayStar's requires too much work to modify. When I go home this weekend, I'll take some pictures of the costume (and maybe me in it, but I'd rather not >>)
Anne Packrat
QUOTE(Fushigi Rockna @ Oct 3 2007, 01:02 PM) *
Hey, Anne...do you have instructions for making a hat like your friend did or did you already post some? I'd like to know for Halloween. (it's not really cosplay per say, but I'm being a goth loli version of the Mad Hatter, and I'm already blowing $100 on an adorable goth lolita dress, so if possible, I'd like to save money on the hat.)

Also, Liz, I skimmed over that earlier, but....go with HonestDragon for Desu. CosplayStar's requires too much work to modify. When I go home this weekend, I'll take some pictures of the costume (and maybe me in it, but I'd rather not >>)

As far as I know, Tracy just glued felt onto a plastic top hat. You can buy them at party goods stores. How to make one, well, I just flew by the seat of my pants. It ended up too big, but I managed to make the fedora work.
Fushi
Ah. See, I'm not a very big crafts person, so I could never figure it out myself. XP I'll see what I can do, thanks.
Anne Packrat
QUOTE(Fushigi Rockna @ Oct 3 2007, 03:01 PM) *
Ah. See, I'm not a very big crafts person, so I could never figure it out myself. XP I'll see what I can do, thanks.

Well, I suppose if you want it to look really good, then use interfacing and fabric for it.
Toby-Chan
Haylo, cosplay nerds! Reccomendation tiem!

I'm debating between two wigs of equal design and quality for an Envy cosplay (planning ahead for con in spring). Both very long, straight, without bangs, both made of Kanekoko- kanellono- kannelono- That high quality japanese fiber.

One is black and one is green. Should I just go with natural as long as I'm kind of real-ifying the costume as it is? Or green?

I'm leaning towards black, with hope that it can be worked with to give off a vaguely dark green tint, or just worn plain and used otherwise for general use.

But that's for spring and can wait a while.

As for halloween, I'd like to do a little cosplay for at least one social event, and for that I'm stuck between Death from Sandman, or Claire from Heroes.

In the case I do Death, anybody know how I might find/make a decently sized ankh for a pendant? (I already have a little dinky one on a beaded necklace; I need one that's bigger, at least an inch or more, but not wiccan-ritual-idol sized.)
Anne Packrat
QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Oct 7 2007, 05:55 PM) *

I'm debating between two wigs of equal design and quality for an Envy cosplay (planning ahead for con in spring). Both very long, straight, without bangs, both made of Kanekoko- kanellono- kannelono- That high quality japanese fiber.

One is black and one is green. Should I just go with natural as long as I'm kind of real-ifying the costume as it is? Or green?

I'm leaning towards black, with hope that it can be worked with to give off a vaguely dark green tint, or just worn plain and used otherwise for general use.

Are you doing Manga or Anime?
Fushi
QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Oct 7 2007, 03:55 PM) *

Isn't manga!Envy's hair black? O:
Toby-Chan
I already got the black anyway, since I can use it in other situations and since his hair is only slightly green, there are no wigs that reflect that subtlety of color, so black is the best default. smile.gif
CodenameElizabeth
QUOTE(Anne Packrat @ Oct 19 2007, 03:29 PM) *
Looks like that at Youma we're going to have a Breda, Fuery and a Havoc. We're going to do a photoshoot where Havoc and Breda drag poor Fuery into the maid cafe and proceed to get him very drunk.

OMG!! I wish I could be there for that!!! (lol)
Detroit is tooooo far away for me though.

And YES, manga!Envy's hair is black. I'm sure your wig will be kickass, Toby! Plz post progress pics, K???
(I'll do the same when I start working on my Armstrong sword...)
asunder
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/press-rele...t-uk-cosplayers
London, Nov 6, 2007 - Are you a Cosplayer? If you are Anime Central wants to hear from you!

We're looking for people over the age of 18 to participate in an upcoming advertising campaign to be broadcast in the New Year.

We intend to honour the devoted and ever-growing anime fanbase by getting to know the Cosplayers who dress up as their favourite anime characters in a series of interviews.

If you're a Cosplayer and just dying to strut your stuff on television, pop us an email with a short paragraph about yourself. You might also want to include a relevant picture of yourself adorned in your costume. The best piccies will be published on the news page on our website www.animecentral.com.

All applications should be sent to webmaster@animecentral.com. Filming will take place in London at the end of November.
Chiyo
Oh my word....

No, my Winry cosplay is too simple in comparison to ther cosplays, even in the UK.
Toby-Chan
MOAR costume detail suggestions! Plz to be giving opinions.

Mini said that in order to make the bands on Envy's back (those red stripes/nodes/whatever you call them), she made them out of fabric, stitched them to the back of the shirt and used spirit gum to attatch them to her shoulders. Do you think bindi glue (a body glue used to attatch facial jewelry) might work as well? I've been able to find more bindi glue for a cheaper price, since spirit gum is pretty expensive. (But Woochie is a cool brand name!)

Also... costume contacts. Let us hear opinions on them. (I've heard the admonitions of danger regarding costume contacts, mostly coming from cases where the wearer did not care for them properly, didn't wash their hands while putting them in, or left them in for days.) Are they worth it? I happen to think that level of detail in a costume is pretty awesome, even if hella expensive.
CodenameElizabeth
QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Dec 10 2007, 08:16 PM) *
MOAR costume detail suggestions! Plz to be giving opinions.

Mini said that in order to make the bands on Envy's back (those red stripes/nodes/whatever you call them), she made them out of fabric, stitched them to the back of the shirt and used spirit gum to attatch them to her shoulders. Do you think bindi glue (a body glue used to attatch facial jewelry) might work as well? I've been able to find more bindi glue for a cheaper price, since spirit gum is pretty expensive. (But Woochie is a cool brand name!)

Also... costume contacts. Let us hear opinions on them. (I've heard the admonitions of danger regarding costume contacts, mostly coming from cases where the wearer did not care for them properly, didn't wash their hands while putting them in, or left them in for days.) Are they worth it? I happen to think that level of detail in a costume is pretty awesome, even if hella expensive.

Re: Attaching Homunculi pulglines...
I would think that IF bindi-glue were similar to Spirit gum in how well it hold stuff together, it would work VERY well for the purpose you mentioned.

I have used spirit gum to glue small wings to my back for various cosplays, and it worked fine for me.
The trick to spirit gum is that it sticks to itself. So you need to get a thin layer on your skin and a thin layer on that which you are looking to attach to your skin. Let both get tacky for a minute or so, and THEN stick the two to each other.

Re: CONTACTS.

In order to get ANY contacts (prescription or not...) you MUST GET FITTED BY AN EYE DOCTOR.
It is MY personal belief that most of the people who have complaints about 'cosplay contacts' are those who have never worn prescription contacts, and therefore have never been fitted by an eye doctor.

I have been wearing contacts for 15 years. I currently own three pairs of 'cosplay' contacts (2 shades of brown, and purple) and I will be needing to get a pair in ice blue for a future cosplay. I always go the length of correct eye color for most of my cosplay. I have never had a problem since I know my correct base curve and prescription.

PLEASE GET FITTED even if your contacts are non-prescription. And DO learn the correct way to care for and clean your lenses.
It makes all of the difference in the health of your eyes.
Toby-Chan
How does one go about getting fitted, if I might ask for some basic criteria?
Chiyo
I think in most cases you can go to an opticians and they can tell you how well your eyes would cope even if they're not precription. Some people will react badly to contact lenses and they can usually estimate if you will be one or not.
CodenameElizabeth
Exactly. Make an appointment for an eye exam. Your optometrist cam measure your eyes with a normal exam. They may even give you some trial lenses to try out and see how your eyes adapt, since not everyone can wear contacts. I know that one of my friends can't, even though she tried, like, five times.
V Criel
~ Help!cosplays, wanted cosplay adive ~

I'm new to world of cosplay. My first cosplay is Ed and I was woundering if any onther Ed cosplays had any adive that might help.

feel free to talk about any cosplay!!^-^
asunder
ask in here ... http://www.fullmetal-alchemist.com/forums/...?showtopic=9732
V Criel
I'm working on an Ed cosplay for a con and I'm trying to finish the automail and make the belt. any ideas that might help me?
Toby-Chan
Well, one piece of advice that has been emphasized from the beginning by Ed cosplayers everywhere in regards to automail: Do not use aluminum foil. Ever.

I've never done automail personally (besides using a robo-arm I bought at a dollar store as a prop for a sketch, but that doesn't count) but I'm pretty sure there are a few places online where you can find a tutorial. I think most of the best players make their own sort of automail gloves with sections of foam.

As for the belt, I reccomend looking at weight-lifting belts, since that's essentially what Ed's is. (It seems to function as a back brace for the added weight of his arm.) Look at the design of basic weight lifting belts, or, maybe if you're lucky, you can find a real one of the right color for a good price.

Kiarrens
~ Elicia Hughes Website - A Reference For Hughes Cosplayers ~

I've got a couple of friends who cosplay as Hughes, and they're always saddened by the lack of images of Elicia up on the internet. So, as a favor to one, I've started this little website that he can just link to in order to torture everyone with Elicia pictures! This site is designed to be a reference for ALL Hughes cosplayers - feel free to print out all the pictures on the site and carry them around with you! Also, if anyone finds more (I think I got screenshots from almost every episode in the series in which Elicia appears) link me to them here and I will put them up on the site.

The site is still very much under construction, Hughes will be captioning each picture soon, and I still have to work on backgrounds and other graphics, but enjoy!

http://www.talesofauli.com/Elicia-Hughes.html
CodenameElizabeth
@Kiarrens - Oh my... HILARIOUS. Hughes is mah homeboy. laugh.gif
You need the pic from ep. 13 (with Hughes and the HUEG poster of Elicia.)

Are you getting Dave to do the captions?
If so, it shall be EPIC.
Kiarrens
QUOTE(CodenameElizabeth @ Feb 6 2008, 07:58 AM) *
Oh my... HILARIOUS. Hughes is mah homeboy. laugh.gif
You need the pic from ep. 13 (with Hughes and the HUEG poster of Elicia.)

Are you getting Dave to do the captions?
If so, it shall be EPIC.

Actually, Josh is doing the captions.
Sereg
Hello!
I live in Denmark, where FullMetal Alchemist almost doesn't exist (yes, damn country! xD)
I wanna know where I can buy, over the internet, Envys headband! I want it so badly! Anyone knows? I can't find it on amazone og anything!!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.