Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cosplay! Put your cosplay pics and discussions here! :)
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Conventions and Cosplays > Cosplay
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Omakase Shimasu
*snaps fingers* The good ones are always taken. sleep.gif Le sigh.

#o_o# I had to look up 'torrid'. Why would I tell anyone, it's you that needs to speak up now! XD

What's up with my [your/you're's] typos?? X(
Skyler Elric
can someone tell me how to make Ed's costume?
«°~Envy™~°»
I have been told i could make a great Gluttony lol and an ok Moraku (sp) the Perverted monk on Inuyasha
Envy's lil' miniskirt
QUOTE(Skyler Elric @ Aug 1 2005, 04:00 PM)
can someone tell me how to make Ed's costume?
[snapback]237180[/snapback]

Now that I've sent you to this thread I will also send you somewhere else. You might want to check out cosplay.com. There are already tons of threads about Ed's costume/wig/automail so be sure to search first or else your thread will just get ignored.

Good luck.
Skyler Elric
umm... I couldn't really find how to make Ed's costume, just ads of buying it
Envy's lil' miniskirt
There should be threads there. I've seen them. It's alittle confusing at first but you'll learn your way around.

Go to the forums.
Skyler Elric
QUOTE(Envy's lil' miniskirt @ Aug 1 2005, 07:30 PM)
There should be threads there. I've seen them. It's alittle confusing at first but you'll learn your way around.

Go to the forums.
[snapback]237333[/snapback]

>ok, i'll try
Tobu Ishi
QUOTE(Skyler Elric @ Aug 1 2005, 06:33 PM)

Go to the forums.

>ok, i'll try
[snapback]237338[/snapback]

Well...I can't really tell you how to make Ed's costume, because it's so complicated. I can't really say "insert tab A into slot B and there you have it". I can, however, give you some solid general costuming advice.

Step 1) Go to a thrift shop. Look around and see if you can find clothing that resembles Edward's. For example, find a pair of black pants, some black boots, a black tank top, a brown belt. If you can find a black jacket that looks like his, get it too. Otherwise, proceed to step 2.

Step 2) Go to a fabric store. JoAnn's Fabrics is a good one. Ask for the pattern section, and then look through the pattern catalogues until you find patterns that resemble Edward's jacket and overcoat. Buy them, on sale if possible. (You can also buy patterns by browsing on eBay.)

Step 3) Once you have your patterns, go to the fabric store and pick out fabric to sew the jacket and coat. Here are my biggest DOs and DO NOTs for fabric. DO check out the sales--you can get really nice fabric for excellent prices. DO NOT buy only cheap cotton or satin--if you use cheap fabric, your costume will be hard to sew, fall apart easily, and look droopy and bad. DO ask the salesladies for help because they know all about fabrics of every kind. DO NOT spend more than five dollars a yard or so, if you can help it. And, finally, DO check carefully on the back of each pattern to see how many yards of fabric you need, and what sort of "notions" (buttons, zippers, etc.) you will need.

FINALLY) Get a sewing machine. Borrow one if you have to, and ask someone for help who knows how to sew...try family friends or your grandmother. They might also be able to help you adjust the patterns to make them more like Ed's clothes if you show them a picture of him. Sew the jacket and overcoat.

LAST TIPS) You can buy good wigs on eBay. (I like the "Wildcats Wigs" shop myself) or at www.amphigory.com or other online wig shops like Katie Bair (at www.katiebair.com Katie will also style the wig for you, which is expensive but very high-quality styling) Also, if there is a store near you that prints Tshirts (the kind of place where you would buy school shirts or shirts with your company logo ironed on), take the Flamel Cross to them as a life-size printout or a file on CD and get them to iron it onto the back of the jacket. They'll know how. If they're a good store, they won't charge more than ten dollars to do it.

I hope that helped! That's also advice you can use for any cosplay project, anytime. Good luck!
Skyler Elric
QUOTE(Tobu Ishi @ Aug 1 2005, 07:50 PM)
QUOTE(Skyler Elric @ Aug 1 2005, 06:33 PM)

Go to the forums.

>ok, i'll try
[snapback]237338[/snapback]

Well...I can't really tell you how to make Ed's costume, because it's so complicated. I can't really say "insert tab A into slot B and there you have it". I can, however, give you some solid general costuming advice.

Step 1) Go to a thrift shop. Look around and see if you can find clothing that resembles Edward's. For example, find a pair of black pants, some black boots, a black tank top, a brown belt. If you can find a black jacket that looks like his, get it too. Otherwise, proceed to step 2.

Step 2) Go to a fabric store. JoAnn's Fabrics is a good one. Ask for the pattern section, and then look through the pattern catalogues until you find patterns that resemble Edward's jacket and overcoat. Buy them, on sale if possible. (You can also buy patterns by browsing on eBay.)

Step 3) Once you have your patterns, go to the fabric store and pick out fabric to sew the jacket and coat. Here are my biggest DOs and DO NOTs for fabric. DO check out the sales--you can get really nice fabric for excellent prices. DO NOT buy only cheap cotton or satin--if you use cheap fabric, your costume will be hard to sew, fall apart easily, and look droopy and bad. DO ask the salesladies for help because they know all about fabrics of every kind. DO NOT spend more than five dollars a yard or so, if you can help it. And, finally, DO check carefully on the back of each pattern to see how many yards of fabric you need, and what sort of "notions" (buttons, zippers, etc.) you will need.

FINALLY) Get a sewing machine. Borrow one if you have to, and ask someone for help who knows how to sew...try family friends or your grandmother. They might also be able to help you adjust the patterns to make them more like Ed's clothes if you show them a picture of him. Sew the jacket and overcoat.

LAST TIPS) You can buy good wigs on eBay. (I like the "Wildcats Wigs" shop myself) or at www.amphigory.com or other online wig shops like Katie Bair (at www.katiebair.com Katie will also style the wig for you, which is expensive but very high-quality styling) Also, if there is a store near you that prints Tshirts (the kind of place where you would buy school shirts or shirts with your company logo ironed on), take the Flamel Cross to them as a life-size printout or a file on CD and get them to iron it onto the back of the jacket. They'll know how. If they're a good store, they won't charge more than ten dollars to do it.

I hope that helped! That's also advice you can use for any cosplay project, anytime. Good luck!
[snapback]237348[/snapback]

>Thanks a lot!!!
DameGreyWulf
I plan on dressing up as the Baron from The Cat Returns next year at some convention in Rosemont I think..
Toby-Chan
I've been considering attempting an Envy cosplay, however, the shirt is baffling me. I can't sew worth crap, and sewing a high-neck out of spandex is totally out of the question, but I don't want to go with the lame attempt at cutting off the sleeves of a turtleneck or something.

Any ideas?
Toby-Chan
QUOTE(Envy's lil' miniskirt @ Aug 3 2005, 10:59 AM)
Please do not cut the sleaves off a turtleneck or else I will be forced to dive up to Minnesota and smack you upside the head. tongue.gif
[snapback]238889[/snapback]

That's exactly why I said I wouldn't do it; because I preemtively ph34r Mini's upside the head pwnage. ph34r.gif

@Togake- A seam ripper? I don't think I am familiar... I'm a total sewing n00b.

I may try sewing a shirt with the aid of a friend or something. Aside from that, the only close thing I have is this excersise shirt, which while close to what I'd want, has an unfortunate little decal on the chest. Grr. Too bad it won't come off in the wash like my homemade shirt transfers. tongue.gif

On another note this chick RAWKS at cosplay!

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
Envy's lil' miniskirt
QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Aug 29 2005, 09:25 AM)
@Togake- A seam ripper?  I don't think I am familiar...  I'm a total sewing n00b. 

I may try sewing a shirt with the aid of a friend or something.  Aside from that, the only close thing I have is this excersise shirt, which while close to what I'd want, has an unfortunate little decal on the chest.  Grr.  Too bad it won't come off in the wash like my homemade shirt transfers.  tongue.gif
[snapback]267129[/snapback]

Seam rippers are easy to use and easy to find, they are a sewing staple.

If you have a shirt that might work you could make a pattern from it. Find some large pager and trace the shirt. Envy's shirt is so easy I doubt you will have any trouble. You should be able to make a pattern that way. I'm actually experimenting with the same thing right now with my new costume.
Kazer
For those who want to make automail, here's a really good site with a tutorial complete with pics and templates: http://amethyst-angel.com/armormaking_automail2.html

I never got around to make it as I can't find any craft foam where I live.....
Toby-Chan
I am planning a cosplay party in october, which I intend to follow through on, goshdarnitt!

My friend and I were discussing it, and we have decided to work together on his costume, as he will be cosplaying as 'The Gate'. laugh.gif

We came up with all sorts of ideas for stuff, and taking pictures, like of him with an apple and an orange in one of his tentacle!hands, or of having a Wrath cosplayer doing stupid stuff, like kicking him in the shins and whatnot.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
I'm hoping to have mine done by October. There's a few cons coming up, smaller cons which I like/can afford better.

I'm sure it will be done though.
Mrs. Edward Elric
QUOTE(Bling_bling_Angel @ Dec 31 2004, 03:20 AM)
sleep.gif *sigh* I'll prolly get kicked outta the forums for this, but it's been bothering me for awhile now...

*hesistant* Okay, so cosplaying is juss for fun... but seriously...? Don't uyou guys think it's kinda... pathetic? Come on now... Take a look at some of the pics over the net and you can see people trying SO hard to be someone they couldn't look like in a million years! Right, okay, so there are some exceptions, but they're pretty rare...

Don't get me wrong: cosplay's cool, but the people who try "too hard" are sad... they look ABSOLUTELY stupid...
[snapback]69928[/snapback]

I agree. You should just love the character not try to be exactly like them. Pathetic. (no offense though). I've been keeping this inside me for a long time now and finally someone actually says it out. Thank god.
ed's numbuh 1 fan
i just really hate when girls who don't have the 'figure' for some anime girls(no offense)like when a overweight person tries to cosplay as Lust.it's scary,stupid and they should be ashamed and embaressed. like i said no offense sorry sad.gif
Envy's lil' miniskirt
Here!

Why don't you two haters take yourselves over here. tongue.gif

OMG I hate cosplay!
Toby-Chan
The thrift store is the holiest of all holy things. I found the most perfect top. I couldn't have designed a better one myself, as far as the way the neck goes. Howerver, I'm not quite certain how to go about cropping it- I'd fear ruining it. (And besides that, I may be forced to wear it covering my stomach. dry.gif)

I also found a perfect dress for my younger sister's Sloth cosplay. Already, even without her hair straightened, or the long gloves (although she put on some shorter black gloves) it looks perfect. <3

One other area in which i'm confused (And I know for a fact that it has been confusing cosplayers for a good long time) is that of the Homunculi's bands. Those red-ish strips they have on their bodies. They look obvious at some times, and at others, nearly impossible to see. For Sloth, I wasn't able to detect hers until I went through and deliberately searched, pausing many times. (They're around her waist. Almost like a belt.) They're so dark, and hard to see, that I'm wondering whether it may be best to forgo them altogether. ph34r.gif I don't think it would be wise, or even possible to get them onto her velour-y dress. (Not to mention Envy's dual-stuck marks- on the fabric, and the skin, dangitt!)

All the ways I've thought of, I've seen refuted by other experienced cosplayers. So what works for the red stripes, then?
Envy's lil' miniskirt
I don't know how to advise you about the top because I haven't seen it .

For the stripes what I would do is paint part on the shirt and then part on your skin. I've seen people made stripes and stick them on the shirt then shoulders and it looks awful. If you have someone that can help you paint your stripes on. I suggest making a stencil. I also recommend using a stencil for your orborous. I did one for my Lust costume and it worked pretty well. I used temporary tattoo ink for it and it stayed on.

This is what I used
Toby-Chan
That site's store is closed. Any idea of where else to find temporary tatoo ink?

And as for a stencil, do I just cut one out myself?
Envy's lil' miniskirt
Opps!

Well now you have the name of it so you could call around in your area or seach or another source online.

It works. I fell asleep with it on and woke up with it unsmeared on my chest. The way I sleep that is impressive.

When I made my stencil I made a print out of the orborous and cut it out with an exacto knive. Print out a few of them. Then, put it on my skin, and applied the ink and viola! Instand homonculus.
hitokiri
QUOTE(Envy's lil' miniskirt @ Sep 13 2005, 10:06 PM)
This is what I used
[right][snapback]283797[/snapback][/right]

i don't know why but for some reason in the first set of pictures, that look in the chick in the middle picture's eyes scares the living crap out of me.... ohmy.gif
Envy's lil' miniskirt
Maybe the design around her belly button is hypnotizing you
StrawberryShampoo
Don't worry Hitokiri her eyes scare me too.

On topic--- Last Halloween I cosplayed as Rei from Breath of Fire III, it was fun dressing up as a guy!^^
alchemistgirl zero
For Chibiconn, I'm going as a state alchemist. :3 *is currently trying to talk friend into going as Edward Elric*
Velin
Im trying to make myself a costume for holoween im going to be a state alchemist but i need to know how to make a Uniform so if you have any pictures with the uniforms open or design shots or something id like it if you posted them here pls thanx
Celestial Shadow
You should probably Google Image this...
Kakashi's#1 girlfriend
Is this good enough? unsure.gif
hitokiri
and how does this merit its own thread in open chat? oh wait it doesn't....
Envy's lil' miniskirt
Here's some of Roy. I'm sure they'll have a full shot of him. Also look around this gallery some more and look in the gallery here on the site.

http://groups.msn.com/FullMetalAlchemist/roypix.msnw
KajiRisu
For Comic Con this year, I'm thinking of cosplaying. But I don't know who to go as...
adamclark
dont forget to check out the pics on this site. there are tons of images of mustang without his coat, showing his other clothing and such.
Little_Alchemist
ok
hi people
i need a little help
me and my friend are going to an anime con as winry and envy
im doing envy but i noticed something i have never seen the design on his back
does anyone have a pic of tht design so i can put it on the costume
plz help
Carnal Malefactor
Fanworks section.
xrninja
merged with cosplay thread.
kouchoutorowry
OMG, al and chopper ! mad.gif
IPB Image
funny al
IPB Image
IPB Imageblink.gif

IPB Image smile.gif
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image
Envy's lil' miniskirt
Really nice automail. Where did you find the pictures?
there're from this site. hi is showing the create process.

After having received an order and requesting it can order but that's expensive. sad.gif
and this site is japanese page .
oops, i fogot to tell you. sorry . this site. blink.gif

site link : http://www.ops.dti.ne.jp/~darkk/

site name: 甲冑通信
IPB Image

nice.
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Envy @ Oct 31 2005, 09:05 PM) [snapback]307513[/snapback]

Thanks EKE! biggrin.gif

@Bacon:
Sez who? huh.gif

Sez the gallery mods union charter...!
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Envy @ Nov 1 2005, 08:27 PM) [snapback]307920[/snapback]

Yeah, the gallery the second photo is in had that pic twice so of course the one I linked too was the one they took down. tongue.gif

Here it is

Best shot of the wig I've found so far. But it doesn't help that people are being slow with posting their yaoi-con pics (me included).

Actually, I didn't bind myself for the costume. I tried to but the straps of the ace bandage showed badly under the thin spandex so the day of I ended up just wearing a couple of band-aids for modesty.

laugh.gif

You should've just gone with the full wraparound ['Shakespeare in Love' style]. Too bad you didn't have anyone to take home afterwards, and have him remove the binding. wink.gif
Envy's lil' miniskirt
I think that would have been worse. tongue.gif

Actually I'm thinking of making some sort of binding contraption that will smooth me down for this costume. I was actually suprised (and a bit saddened) that I could get away with wearing to top without binding and not look to obvious.

Yeah it is too bad I don't have someone to unbind me...............thanks for reminding me Bacon! mad.gif laugh.gif
darkangelslayer
QUOTE(Celestial Fangirl @ Nov 1 2005, 08:06 PM) [snapback]307958[/snapback]

(Did anyone ever tell you you have amazing eyes? blink.gif )

Whoa I didn't see those last few posts. You do have really cool blue icey type eyes. If you weren't smiling I'd think your eyes would be sending invisible daggers through the computer screen.....and that's awesome!
Celestial Shadow
QUOTE(Anshi @ Nov 1 2005, 09:15 PM) [snapback]307968[/snapback]

If you weren't smiling I'd think your eyes would be sending invisible daggers through the computer screen.....and that's awesome!

laugh.gif That's exactly how I felt too.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
Awww thanks Celes. tongue.gif

QUOTE(Celestial Fangirl @ Nov 1 2005, 06:31 PM) [snapback]307979[/snapback]

If you weren't smiling I'd think your eyes would be sending invisible daggers through the computer screen.....and that's awesome!

Well I was suppose to be Envy after all. No cute, warm fuzzy shots here.
Phyco girl
QUOTE(Envy @ Nov 1 2005, 09:34 PM) [snapback]308024[/snapback]

Awww thanks Celes. tongue.gif

QUOTE(Celestial Fangirl @ Nov 1 2005, 06:31 PM) [snapback]307979[/snapback]

Well I was suppose to be Envy after all. No cute, warm fuzzy shots here.

laugh.gif Nice costume! I liked the wig happy.gif.

Hai, pretty eyes tongue.gif. I agree with Celes and Anshi there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.