Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: An Inconvenient Truth (and About Global Warming)
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Open Talk > Debate District
Carnal Malefactor
Who's seen this film? Who can give an opinion on it?

I personally don't plan to see it because I already know quite a bit about climate change, but there are, much to my dismay, a lot of people in this country who question the existence of global warming. Hopefully it'll change some minds.
Toby-Chan
It's liberal trash. Just a pack of lies and stupid propaganda so those filthy pinko commieheads can... um... do something liberal to the world.
Carnal Malefactor
They say there's still debate in the scientific community as to whether anthropogenic climate change exists...

Guess what, there is no debate

It's a dangerous state of affairs if we're turning the validity of science into a right v. left issue. Science is apolitical. It doesn't serve any agenda other than that of discovery and the improvement of the human condition. That people on the right incresingly distrust science is a very bad sign.
ed_drink_your_milk
I'm a lifelong environmentalist, so it appals me when people say that global warming doesn't exist.
Popogeejo
so after you vote

There is no poll though...

Couldn't we just freeze some of the billions, nay trillions, of gallons of water and stick on the moon untill we need it again?
Or how about we shift some in to water deprived areas of Africa after filtering out the salt? That'll counter rising sea levels and give Africa a helpnig hand.
ed_drink_your_milk
QUOTE(popogeejo @ Aug 10 2006, 05:25 PM) [snapback]430978[/snapback]

so after you vote

There is no poll though...

Couldn't we just freeze some of the billions, nay trillions, of gallons of water and stick on the moon untill we need it again?
Or how about we shift some in to water deprived areas of Africa after filtering out the salt? That'll counter rising sea levels and give Africa a helpnig hand.

funny idea, but it dosen't work that way.
Popogeejo
Why can't we move frozen water to the moon? If sea levels are rising then wouldn't it be sensible remove the threat?
ed_drink_your_milk
QUOTE(popogeejo @ Aug 11 2006, 06:10 AM) [snapback]431294[/snapback]

Why can't we move frozen water to the moon? If sea levels are rising then wouldn't it be sensible remove the threat?

that's the problem, water that should be frozen, isn't, and we can't take a super large chunkof the antarctica, put it in a spaceshuttle and send it off to the moon. 1)In the current day and age, it's not possible and 2)the arctic animals would probably go extinct.

also, just a question, what would you plan on doing with all that frozen water on the moon??
Popogeejo
That's the problem, water that should be frozen, isn't, and we can't take a super large chunkof the antarctica, put it in a spaceshuttle and send it off to the moon. 1)In the current day and age, it's not possible and 2)the arctic animals would probably go extinct.

I never siad anything about it being Antartica...any water can be frozen.

also, just a question, what would you plan on doing with all that frozen water on the moon??

Just storring it there untill sea levels receed (if they do). The reason I don't say we store it on Earth is that it would be easier to store and keep frozen up there.
I'm sure there are far less expensive ideas but planting trees won't help much as they produce Co2 aswell. Most of the the worlds oxgen is fron Algae anyway so it's that we should be concetrating on. Even then it won't reverse whats been done.
Slashrose1010
Or... we can boost our environment (plant trees, help algae or whatever...) and cut down on using so much gas senselessly. And work harder on finding more efficient fuels with lower pollution. I am surprised people haven't really been trying to do this earlier on. Bleh, people never start worrying till we're on the bloody brink of extinction.
Popogeejo
Or... we can boost our environment (plant trees, help algae or whatever...) and cut down on using so much gas senselessly.

We'd have to plant alot of trees and such to even counter act the current polutoin. It would take ages before any progress would be made and in that time the Ice caps are still melting away. We can't just be thinking in the long term...

And work harder on finding more efficient fuels with lower pollution.

It would still take time to become standardise and think about all the millions of cars that would become redundent, what would happen to them?

I am surprised people haven't really been trying to do this earlier on.

People either didn't care or made it Someone elses problem.

While I know we need to look into better resources we still have the ice caps and sh*t going on.
Slashrose1010
That is true, but I doub't we can have giant loads of ice shipped off to Mars or the Moon.

The only way to stop the caps from melting etc is kill all forms of animal life that emit greenhouse gases, and use them as fertilizer for the plants to grow while simultaneously using no cars or any factories that emit any kind of air pollution (including electrical plants)! Muaha, that shall solve our problems.

At least try to make electricity more environmentally friendly, like trying to utilize solar, wind and water power... Doing something is better than nothing, I feel. Better to start late than never.

Who cares about the environment when we're gonna die of nuclear radiation? The nuclear winter will freeze the caps back. Sorry, I don't want any of that political war nonsense here... I just found it related somehow...
Popogeejo
That is true, but I doub't we can have giant loads of ice shipped off to Mars or the Moon.

Ok not the moon, that was more for spacial convinence, but theres thousands of unused square miles of desert(sp?)

At least try to make electricity more environmentally friendly, like trying to utilize solar, wind and water power...

There are quite alot of Damns, Wind farms and other stuff like that but they don't generate as much and aren't as reliable. They're alo very expensive.

Who cares about the environment when we're gonna die of nuclear radiation? The nuclear winter will freeze the caps back.

It would take thousands of nukes to get enough debris in the air to block the sun and even then most would come backdown within a short time.
Slashrose1010
I was joking abut the nukes (sort of).

Anyway, spilling water upon the deserts of the earth wouldn't be very convenient, either. For that to be productive, you would need to use either farely clean, unsalted water, or use filtered water, which would be expensive to mass produce for the sole purpose of leveling the sea and watering the deserts...
ed_drink_your_milk
Anyway, the easiest way ( I say easiest because we've gotten to the point where there aren't any easy solutions) is to waste less, recycle more, conserve gas, and please, stop buying hummers!!!!

I was kidding about the hummer, but big gas guzzling cars like that are one of the main causes of global warming.
Popogeejo
QUOTE(ed_drink_your_milk @ Aug 20 2006, 01:20 PM) [snapback]434899[/snapback]

Anyway, the easiest way ( I say easiest because we've gotten to the point where there aren't any easy solutions) is to waste less, recycle more, conserve gas, and please, stop buying hummers!!!!

That won't reverse any of the effects though. no mater how slowly we burn gas it will still bild up in the atmosphere.

I was kidding about the hummer, but big gas guzzling cars like that are one of the main causes of global warming.

The main cause is methane from farmed animals and all cars. Gas guzzlers are only the biggest expellers car for car. (ie, if you had one of each car the gas guzzlers would cause the most pollution) but most people don't have these big vehicles.
Almost 80%* of cars and such in Brazil run on Alcohol wich burns is alot better. If we could refine those we would have a cheap and easily made/produced fule supply. That would atleast cover the smaller engins.

Sadly we do need to get more Oil to buy us more time to research and refine better resources.

*Citation!
Toby-Chan
I say we just nuke ourselves and get it over with.
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Aug 20 2006, 06:59 PM) [snapback]435040[/snapback]

If Bush's NeoCon cabal has its way, we may very well see that happen. dry.gif
sweety_pie
QUOTE('Toby-Chan')

Yeah, that is the easiest way out.
Popogeejo
Won't that screw the rest of the world though? Haven't the Pandas suffered enough?
Toby-Chan
Pandas can go down with the ship.

If there's any mercy in the universe, the cockroaches might pick up where we left off and do a better job with it.
ed_drink_your_milk
You know, though just nuking ourselves is tempting, if people just actually tried to help the environment instead of just complaining, it would make a difference. It might not reverse all we have done so far, but if everyone changed one thing about their lifestyle towards being more environmental, it would make a huge impact.

And yes, obviously not everyone would follow this idea, but if a fair amount of people did, you would be able to see the difference.

I'm an environmentalist so..... did I persuade anyone to try?? wink.gif
Tombow
Since this topic is filling up the posts on "Penny" thread tonight, I'm bumping up this thread.
If you have discussions on global warming, please post here.
(And, I also added "Global Warming" in the thread title so that everyone would know what it's about. If that's not good, I apologize, and please feel free to changed it back. smile.gif )
patkk the dictator/ninja/fish
I completely agree coincidentaly i was just talking about this with a friend

people dont know because they dont WANT to know
phoenix dying
QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Aug 20 2006, 05:59 PM) [snapback]435040[/snapback]

This explains all!!!
Ronaldo Rodregez
Recently in one of my classes at school we had to watch this film. I live in NJ, and so if you know how the weather's been this winter, you'll know I was already starting to hate global warming.

I keep seeing this idea of "freezing" or relocating water in this thread. I don't think you understand it's not just the flooding of Earth that'll be a problem, but there's also the severe weather conditions it causes. The tsunamis, blizzards, and other random natural disatsters. Not too mention how screwed up the animals are getting with the season's getting out of whack.

The only solutions is to produce less CO2, and there's ways that some places just aren't using. And along with ways that we as citizens of Earth aren't using. My friend and I were talking about this recently, and I like the quote he came up with, "Americans are a bad comdination; we're caring but lazy."
LordGohan
do you belive in global warming?

reasons to discount it ( im a non beleiver.)
-were coming out of an ice age, the tempature will rise
-its risen like, what 3 degrees since 1800's?
-it was recently stated that the o-zone layer is healing, yet activists still say were messing it all up
-people saying the ocean will rise... 3 feet... not to mention at one time the WHOLE WORLD was coverd in water
-all the neuclear bomb testings in the 1900's surly messed it up more than the gas pipe of some cars.
-how do we know that the tempature wasnt supposed to be higher?

discuss, and no flaming,only smart thought out replys!

sorry for spelling, im tired as sin right now...

<Merged "Global Warming/ Climate Change, whats your opinion?" thread. 04/26/07 ~Tombow>
Tombow
@LordGohan - I think you can carry on this discussion on
An Inconvenient Truth (and about Global Warming) thread. biggrin.gif

Closing the thread. I will move the post to the above thread later. smile.gif

ETA: Merged "Global Warming/ Climate Change, whats your opinion?" thread here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.