Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Age-appropriate Gaming
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Game
Pages: 1, 2
Migchao
I was just wondering, why do adults let kids, as young as FIVE YEARS OLD, play M-Rated games like Grand Theft Auto. It's just so stupid! I was just watching my little brother play Grand Theft Auto and the guy says, 'F**k you, b**ch!' Trust me, I was disturbed. So I was thinking, Why do kids play these games? And my brother is only SEVEN YEARS OLD. Hm, what's wrong with this picture? Ah, yes, Grand Theft Auto is rated M for sex, drugs, violence and extreme content.

I know places like Toys R Us are banning kids from buying games that aren't appropriate for age, but are all of them doing that same thing as Toys R Us is? No. You can manipulate a little kid in any possible way; they believe anything and everything you say. These kids learn vocabulary from these things, my little brother calls me 'butt-sniffer' and says 'You're the F-word' to me. I try to tell my mom about his language but she says, "Ah, leave him, it'll pass soon enough."

I don't think kids should play these games at all. I do not know why a mom would let a five year old kid play a game with sex and drugs and really bad things like that. Who else agrees that today's kids just keep on getting even more nasty with these games? Any one agrees?
Carnal Malefactor
Because there are a lot of parents out there who don't deserve to be parents.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
QUOTE(Void @ Jun 23 2006, 09:05 PM) [snapback]415554[/snapback]

That's it in a nutshell.
Migchao
I guess you're right...
asunder
bad parenting is one thing....but cursing and violent videogames is something that's overrated in terms of harm to children...but hey, that's just my opinion.

Migchao
Asu, but I highly disagree about a five year old playing any M-rated game! Here's one thing with my brother and I once!

Me: Hey, do you like anime?
Brother: Kind of but I like Xiaolin Showdown better.
Me: OK, that's not really such good show but okay.
Brother: You know, you're the F-Word.

I was ready to slap the s**t out of him. I found out he got it from Grand Theft Auto.
asunder
QUOTE(kittygirl @ Jun 24 2006, 01:42 AM) [snapback]415578[/snapback]

Asu, but I highly disagree about a five year old playing any M-rated game! Here's one thing with my brother and I once!

I was ready to slap the s**t out of him. I found out he got it from Grand Theft Auto.

All you've told me is that you have bad parents.

and unless he said fu*ker...he didn't learn it properly.

Shaolin Showdown is a movie not a tv show right?

Then again at 5 years olds .... i don't think i knew any english....
Packy
Shaolin Showdown a show O.o They air it on Cartoon Network but I never watch it... dry.gif

I cant stand people who let their kids play rated M games like that... my brother's ex girlfriend who has a kid from a diffrent father, she let him watch me play Halo when I didn't want him around since there were people putting up words such as the f-word, the other word for cow-poopie, etc...I tried turning the monitor away, he'd move over and watch mad.gif It really irks me when parents let their kids get away with stuff like that... I even told her, and she started yellin' at me to let him do what he wanted ohmy.gif
Migchao
QUOTE(asu @ Jun 23 2006, 10:48 PM) [snapback]415581[/snapback]

QUOTE(kittygirl @ Jun 24 2006, 01:42 AM) [snapback]415578[/snapback]

All you've told me is that you have bad parents.

and unless he said fu*ker...he didn't learn it properly.

Shaolin Showdown is a movie not a tv show right?

Then again at 5 years olds .... i don't think i knew any english....

Xiaolin Showdown is the WORST Cartoon Network show to date! Besides, Cartoon Network likes to get the the suckiest shows and air them on there.

If he said f*cker, I would have torn that little mouth up. One day when he least expects it I am going to cut off his head if he calls me ANYTHING like that again. He should not even play those video games!
Quistis88
I think I have seen an episode of this Shaolin Showdown. It's so corny, it's actually almost cute. Then again, I think I hang out with children too much.

Concerning the original topic: that is like asking why don't children nowadays dress age-appropriately? Why don't they speak appropriately? No respect for themselves in the former, and none for others in the latter.

Children are just crazy. I, too, blame the parents and whatever environmental conditioning the children may or may not have had, and also the children themselves.
Popogeejo
I was just wondering, why do adults let kids, as young as FIVE YEARS OLD, play M-Rated games like Grand Theft Auto. It's just so stupid!

We live in a paranoid time. If you let your kids play outside then every peado in a one mile radius will steal and kill them!(Not actually true FYI)
In itself letting kids play these games isn't wrong but they should know that it's just a game and that if they do any crap like that in the real world then it's a rather bad thing.

I was just watching my little brother play Grand Theft Auto and the guy says, 'F**k you, b**ch!' Trust me, I was disturbed. So I was thinking, Why do kids play these games? And my brother is only SEVEN YEARS OLD. Hm, what's wrong with this picture?

Seven isn't so bad. He should be able to disinguish betwen right and wrong. The fact that he swore could be attributed to anything from films, family, friends, TV or the games. Don't go Jack Thompson on us.

Ah, yes, Grand Theft Auto is rated M for sex, drugs, violence and extreme content.

You get guns in lots of things aimed at 7 year olds. Note the abundent ammout of toy guns out there. the violence is pretty tame and fake looking so no real worries there and the Big Bad Sex game of evilness can only be accessed by using 3rd party softwear and even then it's apprently pixilated.

I wouldn't let kids under 12 play GTA but thats just me. Aslong as they it's a game and they shouldn't be doing such things in reality it's fine. Games have age ratings and if parents choose to ignor those then it's their fault if little Billy goes on a shooting spree in imitation of some game.
Blitz
Don't go Jack Thompson on us.

That guy needs to dig a hole and jump into it. This guy tried to get the FBI to investigate people since they made webcomics about him. PATHETIC.

I remember there was this one kid (five at the time) who was playing Halo. Wow, disturbing picture. "Die!" in a little squeaky voice.
LoMXD
I dont think kids 5 years old should play halo, violence and whatnot, but it's a better choice for them to play rather then gta(grand theft auto)
I like people are trying to enforce a rulke about the distrubution(sp) of M rated games. or ban them altogether, which I think is stupid.
Migchao
The other problem is having one kid play an M-rated game and then the rest come and they all take turns playing this game. I have to work hard to distract my brother, his friend David, and my brother's little girlfriend from it. There's Sonic, Pacman, other games they can all play, but they whine, "We don't like it!"
Ice Blizzard
Most of the time kinds dont read the labels on the games,And half the times parents don't care what children play as long as they dont have to hear them complaining
Popogeejo
Give them smash bros or any quality multi player game, hell Goldeneye would do the trick. It has guns but minimal blood and no swearing.

I don't see why you have to distract them though when you can just hide the game from them.
Carnal Malefactor
Anything with gunplay is strictly verböten for any kid under age 11 or so, as far as I'm concerned.
sweety_pie
QUOTE(Pack Lackey @ Jun 24 2006, 02:24 AM) [snapback]415582[/snapback]

Shaolin Showdown a show O.o They air it on Cartoon Network but I never watch it... dry.gif

I can tell you never watch it. The show is spelled Xialin Showdown.I think.
Migchao
QUOTE(sweety_pie @ Jun 24 2006, 02:29 PM) [snapback]415769[/snapback]

QUOTE(Pack Lackey @ Jun 24 2006, 02:24 AM) [snapback]415582[/snapback]

I can tell you never watch it. The show is spelled Xialin Showdown.I think.

Xiaolin Showdown. There is an o in the title Sweety Pie!

And I know that a gun can be in a kid game, but excessive blood or swearing is a big no-no. But I think that stores are only selling those games to kids if an adult says that they are okay with it, or they refuse to let them take the game at all. I don't know.

Here's one thing that loves to bug me: Why does Toys R Us sell M-rated games at all? huh.gif
Popogeejo
ere's one thing that loves to bug me: Why does Toys R Us sell M-rated games at all?

Supply and demand. They know that parents don't take the gam rating system seriously so they cash in on it.
Migchao
QUOTE(popogeejo @ Jun 24 2006, 03:17 PM) [snapback]415779[/snapback]

ere's one thing that loves to bug me: Why does Toys R Us sell M-rated games at all?

Supply and demand. They know that parents don't take the gam rating system seriously so they cash in on it.

...Why didn't I think of that? It seems that every store that sells games is taking advantage of dumb people not looking at the rating.
Blitz
^ If they're dumb enough not to see the rating, then they deserve to be taken advantage of. I mean, it's not that hard to miss. The ratings are on the front and back of the game, in a little white box that's quite noticeable.
Ice Blizzard
QUOTE(Blitz @ Jun 24 2006, 07:17 PM) [snapback]415802[/snapback]

^ If they're dumb enough not to see the rating, then they deserve to be taken advantage of. I mean, it's not that hard to miss. The ratings are on the front and back of the game, in a little white box that's quite noticeable.

Most parents see the ratings, They just dont care, As long as they think it'll make the child happy
Migchao
QUOTE(Blitz @ Jun 24 2006, 04:17 PM) [snapback]415802[/snapback]

I may be crazy! Looking at ratings is fun...for no reason whatsoever...it's fun...I just love to look at the ratings just to see why it's rated that way. It's not that hard! If an eleven-year-old can do it, an adult can. But hey, many people here in our world are just hopelessly blind.

Ice Blizzard: Yup, that too.
sweety_pie
Parents don't care about the rating. Sometimes they just want something to make their kids quiet, and leave them alone.
Popogeejo
And thats why Rockstar games is so sucessful.

It's games like this that will ruin a generation of kids.
fma lover stef
personally, i don't really play video games all that often. any games that we do have is like 'Finding Nemo', 'Sonic', or 'Spiderman' rolleyes.gif so obviously, i don't agree that little kids should be playing games that involve alot shooting and killing.

still i have to admit, alot of studies show that video game sales (such as grand theft auto) have increased, while crimes in major cities have actually decreased blink.gif i guess kids let out all the energy on fictional play, so that there is no need to do it in real life. tongue.gif
Migchao
QUOTE(fma lover stef @ Jun 24 2006, 10:28 PM) [snapback]415974[/snapback]

personally, i don't really play video games all that often. any games that we do have is like 'Finding Nemo', 'Sonic', or 'Spiderman' rolleyes.gif so obviously, i don't agree that little kids should be playing games that involve alot shooting and killing.

still i have to admit, alot of studies show that video game sales (such as grand theft auto) have increased, while crimes in major cities have actually decreased blink.gif i guess kids let out all the energy on fictional play, so that there is no need to do it in real life. tongue.gif

Hmm, you're right. mellow.gif Not one kid lets it out in real life.

But I was wondering: this may affect the child in to becoming a spoil brat by playing an M-rated game, right? My brother became horrible after Grand Theft Auto came out.
fma lover stef
QUOTE(kittygirl @ Jun 25 2006, 12:35 AM) [snapback]415980[/snapback]

But I was wondering: this may affect the child in to becoming a spoil brat by playing an M-rated game, right? My brother became horrible after Grand Theft Auto came out.

HA HA!! well i said that crime rates go down, but they don't stop completely rolleyes.gif and i don't know if M-rated games make a child spoiled but it changes what they spend all day doing. you know, instead of going out and having a life. but it's not M-rated games that do that, it's technology in general.
Migchao
QUOTE(fma lover stef @ Jun 24 2006, 10:59 PM) [snapback]415989[/snapback]

QUOTE(kittygirl @ Jun 25 2006, 12:35 AM) [snapback]415980[/snapback]

HA HA!! well i said that crime rates go down, but they don't stop completely rolleyes.gif and i don't know if M-rated games make a child spoiled but it changes what they spend all day doing. you know, instead of going out and having a life. but it's not M-rated games that do that, it's technology in general.

Yeah. There are so many fat kids around who just sit and play all day with video games.
Popogeejo
But I was wondering: this may affect the child in to becoming a spoil brat by playing an M-rated game, right? My brother became horrible after Grand Theft Auto came out

That's not very conclusive. He could have become bratty for any number of reasons.
Blitz
QUOTE(popogeejo @ Jun 24 2006, 11:14 PM) [snapback]415899[/snapback]

...What the HELL is that? ohmy.gif
Migchao
QUOTE(popogeejo @ Jun 25 2006, 04:41 AM) [snapback]416019[/snapback]

But I was wondering: this may affect the child in to becoming a spoil brat by playing an M-rated game, right? My brother became horrible after Grand Theft Auto came out

That's not very conclusive. He could have become bratty for any number of reasons.

You never cease to amaze me with your Wikipedia links. laugh.gif And I don't know what had happened with my little brother

QUOTE(Blitz @ Jun 25 2006, 09:01 AM) [snapback]416109[/snapback]

I was wondering that myself... laugh.gif
Quistis88
QUOTE(Blitz @ Jun 25 2006, 10:01 AM) [snapback]416109[/snapback]

Umm . . . ok . . . my question, almost exactly. Leave it to the Wii to be able to support a game like that.

Realistically speaking, I don't think that game would really "ruin a generation of kids". Depending on gameplay, it could just be a really interactive art lesson or something. If it is, and if I had children, I'd probably buy that game for them instead of investing way more in art lessons. Besides, I'd just want them to tap into their creative side. Then again, that's me.

(Ohhh, this is my 7777th post.)
Zarpia
^I love Bob Ross, but yeah, leave it to nintendo...

congratz quiss
phoenix dying
QUOTE(Zarpia @ Jun 25 2006, 01:30 PM) [snapback]416148[/snapback]

^I love Bob Ross, but yeah, leave it to nintendo...

Happy Trees! laugh.gif

There is a certain age where a kid has the ability to decifer the difference between, lets just say 'the video game world' and reality. Honestly, until they reach that point there should be restrictions. But after that, go for it.
Popogeejo
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Jun 25 2006, 06:24 PM) [snapback]416146[/snapback]

QUOTE(Blitz @ Jun 25 2006, 10:01 AM) [snapback]416109[/snapback]

Umm . . . ok . . . my question, almost exactly. Leave it to the Wii to be able to support a game like that.

Realistically speaking, I don't think that game would really "ruin a generation of kids".

(Ohhh, this is my 7777th post.)

I wasn't being serious about it destroying a generation of kids. Sorry I forgot a sarcastic emote.
Congrats on the 7777th post.
Lone Wolf
QUOTE(phoenix dying @ Jun 25 2006, 05:04 PM) [snapback]416313[/snapback]

There is a certain age where a kid has the ability to decifer the difference between, lets just say 'the video game world' and reality. Honestly, until they reach that point there should be restrictions. But after that, go for it.

I agree.
Fayth Prophecy
My parents don't mind, just as long as I don't go and repeat what I saw in the game.

As for kids younger than me playing it, that is a bit wrong. The parents should really explain to them that it's not appropriate for them.
Migchao
QUOTE(Fayth Prophecy @ Jul 7 2006, 07:32 PM) [snapback]419676[/snapback]

The parents should really explain to them that it's not appropriate for them.

But aren't they too stupid to explain that? huh.gif They only want to keep the kids happy right?
Ronaldo Rodregez

Obviously I'm the only one excited for this game.

"See that lonely tree? Let's give him a friend."
Nepharski
QUOTE(Void @ Jun 23 2006, 09:05 PM) [snapback]415554[/snapback]

...Someone needs to give you a medal or something.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
QUOTE(phoenix dying @ Jun 25 2006, 04:04 PM) [snapback]416313[/snapback]

True.
However with the lack of parenting these days and kids being raised by tv and the internet I'm not so sure that young people can always fully seperate themselves from the fantasy world into the real world. I'm not making an excuse of asshattery because I still believe in personal responsibility.
QUOTE(Ronaldo Rodregez @ Jul 27 2006, 04:09 PM) [snapback]426371[/snapback]

laugh.gif
22-250

Hey, I'd play it too, should my brother get a Wii.

My mom doesn't mind if I play violent war games, as long as I don't go on a killing spree. Although she won't let me play GTA.
phoenix dying
*claps for 22-250's mom*

QUOTE(kittygirl @ Jul 27 2006, 01:44 PM) [snapback]426251[/snapback]

But aren't they too stupid to explain that? huh.gif They only want to keep the kids happy right?

I'll admit, alot of the responsibility falls on the parent in this case. To be aware of their kids doing and such. But you can't just call every adult stupid, and that they can't explain. Also i think there are alot of parent that really have no clue what video games contain and offer. Some I think don't really know how to explain this situtation. Its partically is the kids fault too...

QUOTE(Envy's lil' miniskirt @ Jul 27 2006, 07:43 PM) [snapback]426393[/snapback]

QUOTE(phoenix dying @ Jun 25 2006, 04:04 PM) [snapback]416313[/snapback]

True.
However with the lack of parenting these days and kids being raised by tv and the internet I'm not so sure that young people can always fully seperate themselves from the fantasy world into the real world. I'm not making an excuse of asshattery because I still believe in personal responsibility.

Then thats where the parent should step in...but like i said i'm not too sure that they even know how to explain that kind of situtation.
Migchao
QUOTE(phoenix dying @ Jul 27 2006, 09:51 PM) [snapback]426514[/snapback]

*claps for 22-250's mom*

QUOTE(kittygirl @ Jul 27 2006, 01:44 PM) [snapback]426251[/snapback]

I'll admit, alot of the responsibility falls on the parent in this case. To be aware of their kids doing and such. But you can't just call every adult stupid, and that they can't explain. Also i think there are alot of parent that really have no clue what video games contain and offer. Some I think don't really know how to explain this situtation. Its partically is the kids fault too...

Then thats where the parent should step in...but like i said i'm not too sure that they even know how to explain that kind of situtation.

Whoopsie, I misworded m other post, because I didn't mean that all adults in particular are dumb. The ones who allow their children to play those adult games are dumb.

I wish that parents would actually spend more time with their kids, instead of getting video games to keep them happy. When I was a baby living in Pennsylvania, my mom would always finish her work and play with me when she was done because she had nothing better to do. But now my mom has me and two little brats to take care of, but it's not like my little brother is getting babysat by video games--my mom tries to get him outside but he comes in five minutes later for games or TV or to eat junk food ( my mom and I are like rabbits)--and he's paying the price by gaining pounds. rolleyes.gif
ed_rocks_my_skull
Kids need to understand that there are more suitable games for them (same with music and TV.) And parents need to look at the things their kids wnt before they buy it. I'd rather have my kids whineing about what their friends got than have them cussing and stuff like that.

(kinda off subject.......) I was at a amuesment park with my couisn and I was waiting for her to get out of the bathroom, and I looked over to see LITLE (5 or 6. 7 tops) and they where talking about Family Guy and how much they watch it! HELLO!? ADULTswim. It even says "bla bla not suitable bla UNDER FOURTEEN"
Toby-Chan

I'm totally psyched! biggrin.gif

I can't wait to get my hands on my friend's Wii!
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Jul 28 2006, 03:52 PM) [snapback]426759[/snapback]
I can't wait to get my hands on my friend's Wii!

...now try saying that out loud. tongue.gif
phoenix dying
Bacon...your something else! Dammit... laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.