Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is Ed Left Or Right Handed?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > FMA Character Discussions
Shiru
you ever notice Ed is left handed. I dunno but in an ep. showing wen he was younger, he was writing a letter to Winry with his left hand.

What do you think?
Automne
Some says he can't write with the automail so he's writing with his left hand, but he's actually right-handed.

...I'm pretty sure there was already a thread about this.
Lucrezia
He was right-handed originally, before he lost his right arm. It's after that we see him writing with his left hand.

Maybe it's hard to hold a pen in an automail hand?
Tombow
QUOTE(SinLuxuria @ Jun 7 2006, 09:51 AM) [snapback]407575[/snapback]

Some says he can't write with the automail so he's writing with his left hand, but he's actually right-handed.

...I'm pretty sure there was already a thread about this.
Or, at least discussed couple of times on some threads, I think.
I just can't remember which one at the moment.
(Too many Ed threads.. tongue.gif )
fmaPHSYCO
Go Lefties! I think it's cuz it's prob. harder to hold a pencil in his automail hand...I dunnno....But it was cute when Nina came in all "whatcha writing?!" to Ed XDDDD
Nia
leftie!
I always wash my left hand afted I drew something.'cause theres marks from a pencil on the side of my palm ^^'
The Great Asparagus
QUOTE(Lucrezia @ Jun 7 2006, 08:52 AM) [snapback]407576[/snapback]

He was right-handed originally, before he lost his right arm. It's after that we see him writing with his left hand.

Maybe it's hard to hold a pen in an automail hand?

maybe, like lucrezia said, he was right-handed and then when he tragically got his poor dear precious arm ripped off, he was like, ahh i can't write and then he went and got automail and it took a year to recuperate, so during that year, it was really icky trying to right with his right hand, so he decided to use his left, but since he's gotten so used to his automail now, I think he'd be able to use his right hand too. [ack, huge run-on] I mean, he goes around beating people up with his automail, so he can totally write too!

and i as well, feel that i've read a thread about this before sooooomewhere out there...
darker_element
No. I think he's a lefty before he loses his arm. In the very first episode he's using his left hand to right the runes on the transmutation circle that they were going to use to revive their mother, right?
I think leftys are awesome. sad.gif Even though I'm right handed...
Migchao
QUOTE(darker_element @ Jun 24 2006, 07:23 PM) [snapback]415873[/snapback]

I think leftys are awesome.

Thanks! I'm a lefty! biggrin.gif (You did say lefties were awesome...)
MasterKris
Ed's both handed. What more do you want?
Dark Alchemist Sakura
Edward used to be right-handed, but when he lost his right arm and got automail, the automail itself was too clumsy for him to write, so he had to learn to write using his left hand. That's all, lol....
Automne
QUOTE(kittygirl Posted Jun 24 2006 @ 09:32 PM)
QUOTE(darker_element @ Jun 24 2006 @ 07:23 PM)
I think leftys are awesome.

Thanks! I'm a lefty! biggrin.gif (You did say lefties were awesome...)

I want to say something...but I think I better not...
Gekkou no Renkinjustsushi
I read something about this on Wikipedia ohmy.gif

And I quote...
"Ed is ambidextrous. In the manga, when he was younger, he use his right hand the most, but is later seen using his left hand more often. In the anime, he uses his right hand as a child (seen while drawing the human transmutation circle), and continues to do so after getting automail (in episode five, we see him drawing the circle for the canon on the train car with his right hand, despite having to write at an awkward angle while hanging from a ladder to do it). He apparently later teaches himself to use his left hand as well, as the letter he writes home to Winry is done with his left hand. (This could be because his now automail right hand lacks the fine motor control of his real hand, thus he opts to train his left hand to write.) "
sweety_pie
Ok, since this has been answered it should be closed.

Here wiki says...

It says,"It is believed he is left handed, as he is often seen writing with his left hand, however,this remain contested as in early episodes he is seen predominally using his right-hand. Some fans theorize that he was right handed until he lost his right arm and had to replace it with auto-mail."
Bluewish
It's like what [b]Masterkris said.
Ed's both handed.
I'm kinda both handed, but better with my left
blink.gif
sweety_pie
Bluewish, You did the BBcode wrong, it goes like...

CODE
[b]Your words here.[/b]

It appears like...
Your words here.
sachiko hyuuchi
I think he was originally right-handed but when he got his automail he changed to his left-hand. =\
PUKE
It is somewhat rumored he's ambidextrous.
irridescentsong
He was originally right handed, and says that it's too hard to write right-handed now, so he has to use his left, and that's why his reports are sloppy. (I know I've read that somewhere, but it could have been in a fanfic...)
Untitled
He was originally right handed, but when he got automail, he became left handed.. His writings not that good either laugh.gif Don't tell him I said that!! Maybe he kept crushing the pens so he tried his left XD
000_neji
Your just repeating something that was said untitled...
Okay,Ed was maybe both right and left-handed. He couldn't write that fast if he was actually right-handed and then it turned left. Switching into other hands is hard too...
DantElric
Not if he was ambidextrous to begin with. Maybe his handwriting's really just messy. blink.gif
Hugh the Hit Man
Ed is definitely left-handed, lefties are so much cooler.
Bluewish
Ed's normally right-handed, but since he lost his right arm he learned to write with the left....which I gotta say is much better.....heheheh...that would be because I'm a lefty!
Darkjad
Wow, there are a pile of lefties here. Cool.

I kinda prefer Ed as being ambidextrous. It's kinda cool.
Hugh the Hit Man
Power to the Lefties!!!!!
insanetourist06
Whoo! I'm a lefty too! XD power to the lefties! XD Okay, well I think Ed is right handed to begin with and then trained his hand to write on the left because as we know, his first version of the automail was HEAVY--therefore he cant manipulate properly the evil pencil LOL
freakofnature
I think he's either ambidextrous or was forced to change after he got the auto mail.

He wrote out the first transmutation circle with his right hand (episode 1), but later is seen to draw one with his left hand on the side of the train(episode 5). He is seen to eat with both his right and left hand AFTER he got his automail (episode 10). He eats the dango sweets with his right hand on the train at the beginning, then eats rice with chopsticks in his left hand at the end.

I think since chopsticks are probably tougher to handle with a fake arm, he might have had to use the other hand, but then again, he must be quite adept at using the leftie to use the chopsticks at all with that hand.
pocketwatch-keeper
hehehe I didn't realise there was a change, havent seen most pes more than once so never noticed. This is why I love forums, you leanr some cool stuff hehe.

I like the idea of Ed being ambidextrious! He's got so many other un-common abilities, he may as well have one more!

pwKeeper
Amol
QUOTE(Hugh the Hit Man @ Oct 11 2006, 02:11 AM) [snapback]457860[/snapback]
Ed is definitely left-handed, lefties are so much cooler.

And how are lefties cooler than others ?

Contains information. Please do not delete this thread!! ^^ 02/03/07 ~Tombow>
Female Flame Alchemist
I think he is origonaly right handed (like me) then he lost his hand sad.gif so he had to use the other one. Hay maby he has Ambidexterity?
Tombow
<Program Note>

Closing this thread and making it "read only" because I believe everything that had to be said had been said, and the rest is just repeating what's already said on the previous posts. smile.gif
ETA: July 29: Moved the thread from FMA Anime forum to FMA Character Discussion forum.

ETA-2: Aug. 20, 2009: Moved Forsaken Love's post from "FMA manga details" thread that was deleted as a duplicate. Still keeping the thread "read only." smile.gif
Forsaken Love
ed's right handed before he looses his arm, when he gets automail he rights with his left (his handwriting must suck XD)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.