Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Define Love
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Open Talk > Debate District
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Le Monkey
Well how many couples are carbon copy of each other apart from gender in most caces?
quiddityofquid
QUOTE(Le Monkey @ May 25 2006, 04:05 AM) [snapback]400646[/snapback]

Well how many couples are carbon copy of each other apart from gender in most caces?

None, hopefully. That would be exceedingly disturbing.
trecia
yeah, sometimes we strongly believe that love totally sucks, because we get hurt when we love. but i guess that's how love goes. how are we supposed to know that we are truely loving if we dont get hurt. but hey, there are so many aspects in love. it could be between you and your parents or between you and your dog or between you and a close friend. smile.gif i guess love is an emotional attachement to someone (be it animal or human) and when you love you "cannot" see his weaknesses or faults because you are blinded by your love and maybe you dont want your image of that person tainted....
ok ill stop monologuing now... tongue.gif
MeLRizA
IMO, love has many sides. It is more than just a feeling of having interests in someone and being fond of them; sometimes may be blind, hurtful or rather foolish in a certain way; an almost unexpressable feeling that you hold on someone who is important to you.. blahz.. laugh.gif

This is all I can say.. seriously, i can't really define it either..*caught spamming!*
Toby-Chan
QUOTE(phoenix dying @ May 24 2006, 12:41 PM) [snapback]400263[/snapback]
Love is like a roller coaster:
when it's good you don't want to get off, and when it isn't...
you can't wait to throw up.

Wait... isn't getting off the point?

tongue.gif
Yiz
love never sucks. love is only a good thing. too much or too little of it isn't love anymore.
phoenix dying
QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ May 28 2006, 12:03 PM) [snapback]402546[/snapback]

QUOTE(phoenix dying @ May 24 2006, 12:41 PM) [snapback]400263[/snapback]
Love is like a roller coaster:
when it's good you don't want to get off, and when it isn't...
you can't wait to throw up.

Wait... isn't getting off the point?

tongue.gif

Its more of an definiton/example of love. But think about it Toby....it works; right?
MonsterEnvy
^Phoenix, I think that you missed the point.

Lol @Toby...

I think that love is dangerous. It's really the only completely uncontrollable feeling. We can all reign in our anger, and happiness, and sadness, or at least curb it enough to let it subside- if we want to, of course. Most of the time we jsut let it run free.

Love, however, is a feeling that must be nipped in the bud, or allowed to flower fully. It's impossible to stop without the ever painful feeling of ripping the flower off, and that branch is never really the same...

One does build up a sort of tolerance to it over time, though. In the meantime, we can all just go emo for a few months, and then get on with our collective lives.

We love the royal we... it's such a wonderful little pronoun.
Yiz
QUOTE(MonsterEnvy @ Jun 1 2006, 04:41 AM) [snapback]403951[/snapback]

I think that love is dangerous. It's really the only completely uncontrollable feeling. We can all reign in our anger, and happiness, and sadness, or at least curb it enough to let it subside- if we want to, of course. Most of the time we jsut let it run free.

Love does not happen by chance. Rather, it's a choice. So I disagree that it's uncontrollable.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
Love is uncontrollable.
It is also deaf, dumb and blind.
Toby-Chan
QUOTE(Envy's lil' miniskirt @ Jun 1 2006, 04:17 PM) [snapback]404535[/snapback]

Love is uncontrollable.
It is also deaf, dumb and blind.

I think this is true.

Take for example, The crazies at the Westboro Baptist Church (See- godhatesfags.com)

I abhor their philosophy and was honestly physically disgusted by their teachings.

But in truth, Looking down past the disgust and shock, there's also some pity there, and searching deep enough, I think a true christian way to retaliate against this mar against christianity in general would be to love and pray for people like these.

It would prove wrong their preachings of God as a cruel and hateful being.
Automne
Quote from a french humourist:

'L'amour rend aveugle, le marriage rend la vue.'

If someone can translate this correctly, that'll be great. Yup...
Tombow
QUOTE(SinLuxuria @ Jun 2 2006, 07:15 AM) [snapback]404807[/snapback]

My wild guess:

"Love makes one blind (toward the object of his/her affection), and the marriage (to the aforementioned object of affection) will open one's eyes again (and bring him/her back to the reality)."??

Could be totally wrong. laugh.gif
Water Achemist
Love is the sh*t messing up my life...
"Love is just a special type of hate, reserved for people who don't suck!"
MeLRizA
QUOTE(Tombow @ Jun 2 2006, 08:34 PM) [snapback]404808[/snapback]

QUOTE(SinLuxuria @ Jun 2 2006, 07:15 AM) [snapback]404807[/snapback]

My wild guess:

"Love makes one blind (toward the object of his/her affection), and the marriage (to the aforementioned object of affection) will open one's eyes again (and bring him/her back to the reality)."??

Could be totally wrong. laugh.gif

Your wild guess does makes sense Tombow-san smile.gif There was one insurance ad about a guy marrying a lady who is actually a shemale, he only found out the horrible truth after the marriage laugh.gif My school teacher showed us that video..

I had this thought of love this afternoon, combined with alchemy.. Ehm, love is something that cannot be produced by alchemy, it simply develops when people have a feeling for one another.. Thus you love someone as "lover", family, friends, working partners or etc..

Yeah, I may be wrong about this concept too.. unsure.gif
Le Monkey
Well the literal translation is "The love returns blind man, the marriage returns the sight"
So pretty close monkey thinks
trecia
THE TRUE MEANING OF LOVE: if it's because of his eyes or his lips or his great body, its not love... its lust. if its because of his intellligence or insight about life, its not love... its admiration. if its because he cries everytime you try to leave, its not love... its pity. if its because he makes you forget to study and sleep, its not love... its infatuation. love is when you do not know why you seem to be attracted to a person... love has its reason... and that reason is unknown... smile.gif
i guess, another meaning of love is when you cant see yourself without that person but you're still willing to die for that person, no matter how painful and slow the death is... or you're still willing to let that person go jsut to make him happy even if that means you're not in the picture any longer.... (sad isnt it?) smile.gif
kaizenyorii
QUOTE(trecia @ Jun 12 2006, 10:35 AM) [snapback]410730[/snapback]

THE TRUE MEANING OF LOVE: if it's because of his eyes or his lips or his great body, its not love... its lust. if its because of his intellligence or insight about life, its not love... its admiration. if its because he cries everytime you try to leave, its not love... its pity. if its because he makes you forget to study and sleep, its not love... its infatuation. love is when you do not know why you seem to be attracted to a person... love has its reason... and that reason is unknown... smile.gif
i guess, another meaning of love is when you cant see yourself without that person but you're still willing to die for that person, no matter how painful and slow the death is... or you're still willing to let that person go jsut to make him happy even if that means you're not in the picture any longer.... (sad isnt it?) smile.gif

thats not love; thats teen drama
000_neji
Love is basically just an emotional and a chemical reaction that is happening to our body...
phoenix dying
QUOTE(kaizenyorii @ Jun 12 2006, 10:42 AM) [snapback]410732[/snapback]

thats not love; thats teen drama

I hate teen drama dry.gif

QUOTE(000_neji @ Sep 18 2006, 06:42 AM) [snapback]447848[/snapback]

Love is basically just an emotional and a chemical reaction that is happening to our body...

your not going to pick up a chick if you talk that shit
Your describing the 'scientific reasoning' for 'love'...

I'm sure there are many other varying factors and variations to describe love. Metaphorically speaking (or typing in this case), love is an elusive being. A true enigma filled with perplexity...
slayeralchemist
I think love is one of the basic human needs, like it or not. I once heard: "Whether life is worth living depends on whether there is love in life." And I totally agree with this!
Love is pain, love is a bless, love is a curse, love is horror, love is sweet, love is knowledge, love is whatever you want it to be, but one thing is for sure NO ONE can live without it!
000_neji
Love is already explained and it is no longer an enigma to us.
Love,also,has a scientific explanation like you are feeling insane because your testosterone gets to a higher level and that of our heart pumps fast is just the same as when we fear something... Love is not only a feeling.
Chiyo
I think I can sum love up in this quote:

"Love is just a dirty trick played on us to achieve the continuation of the species"

I think though the best fact I ever found out is that people in 'love' have less of the chemicals in their body that make people happy. Thats why they experience 'love lorn'. I don't think 'love' really exists, but what people feel is the need to either reproduce or protect.
000_neji
I have red an acronym of LOVE and so here it is:

Land of Sorrow
Ocean of tears
Valley of tears
End of life...
Kinda poetic but maybe based on the experience.
DantElric
Read Harry Potter. Dumby explains love quite well. dry.gif
Popogeejo
QUOTE(DantElric @ Sep 26 2006, 04:25 AM) [snapback]451456[/snapback]

Any reason you can't quote Dumby instead of suggesting I waste money?
Toby-Chan
QUOTE(000_neji @ Sep 19 2006, 03:15 AM) [snapback]448307[/snapback]

Love is already explained and it is no longer an enigma to us.
Love,also,has a scientific explanation like you are feeling insane because your testosterone gets to a higher level and that of our heart pumps fast is just the same as when we fear something... Love is not only a feeling.

Um, that's Lust.

But I'm starting to suspect that's the same thing with the general male population. dry.gif

Really, as a society and a species in general, we have our priorities and our thoughts on love mixed up. Especially because when we think of "Love" we automatically think of being "In Love", which is a trace of real love, mostly drowned out with bling infatuation and plain lust. Love is for everyone, and lasts unconditionally. "In love" is a phase that sexual/romantic relationships tend to go through for the first few years or so. Eventually the 'in love' part is going to melt away, no matter how strong it was, and when that happens, if you realize there's not much of a tolerant truly loving friendship underneath it, you're pretty much screwed.
Popogeejo
Love is being able to just be with someone without having to say or do anything and just appreciate eachothers company.
Chiyo
Trying out for a job at Hallmarks popo?

I think many of the people who claim to be in love so quickley really just feel 'puppy love'...a crush on someone who happens to have a crush on you. I don't think all these 13 year olds who claim to be in love really know what 'true love' feels like until they are much older.
DantElric
QUOTE(popogeejo @ Sep 26 2006, 06:11 AM) [snapback]451584[/snapback]

QUOTE(DantElric @ Sep 26 2006, 04:25 AM) [snapback]451456[/snapback]

Any reason you can't quote Dumby instead of suggesting I waste money?

Because it'd be too lengthy. Harry kept interrupting. And in any case, I don't have it with me right now (not every one is fortunate enough to own a computer at home... ph34r.gif )

Anyway, basically, Dumby says that (aside from mushy-gushy stuff) love protects us from evil.

For a clearer (yet, sickeningly simple) explanation: Voldy likes evil. He kills many people and loves the Dark Arts. Voldy likes power. He offers this to his 'followers' (but he doesn't have, or want friends). Harry has the same abilities as Voldy. Yet, he has never been attracted to the Dark Arts because he loathes Voldy for killing his parents (and all those people). In short, he is protected by his ability to love.

You savvy? blink.gif
000_neji
Because it'd be too lengthy. Harry kept interrupting. And in any case, I don't have it with me right now (not every one is fortunate enough to own a computer at home... )

Anyway, basically, Dumby says that (aside from mushy-gushy stuff) love protects us from evil.

For a clearer (yet, sickeningly simple) explanation: Voldy likes evil. He kills many people and loves the Dark Arts. Voldy likes power. He offers this to his 'followers' (but he doesn't have, or want friends). Harry has the same abilities as Voldy. Yet, he has never been attracted to the Dark Arts because he loathes Voldy for killing his parents (and all those people). In short, he is protected by his ability to love.

Can you Pm me those words that Dumby told about love? I would love to read that...
Le Monkey
QUOTE(DantElric @ Sep 29 2006, 10:45 AM) [snapback]452716[/snapback]

Well love alone wont protect you from evil, I think the point that should be put across is love will be able to heal any harm evil dose,

QUOTE(000_neji @ Nov 21 2006, 10:55 AM) [snapback]476314[/snapback]
Can you Pm me those words that Dumby told about love? I would love to read that...

Or you could have PMed her that...
ἀρχή
On a less fluffy note, love in a major way is defined more by the actions one takes than by feelings/sayings. Regardless of what you feel for another person, if your actions do not coincide in a positive confirming way, your feelings are really hollow and your proclimation of love is worthless.

It is all too common for one to believe that another loves them by what they say, but know they do not love them by what they do. And the fallout for sticking with relationships like this is what drives the daytime talk shows.
Nepharski
Love is a many splendid thing.
Love lifts us up where we belong.
All you need is love!

Love is a Tennis score.

In all seriousness, I think love is something deeper than just chemical and hormonal response to physical beauty; that's base attraction for the continuation of the species. But love...I truely think love surpasses biological "Instinct." Love can be witnessed, experianced, or certainly described, but not distilled into a formula. Love is something more, dare I say it, "Holy." You can lust after anyone's body, their possessions, their status, but what makes you want the person themselves for what they uniquely are? What makes you look beyond what society deems as attrative and into the person as a whole, their personality, their psyche, their completeness? How can two people be drawn to each other moreso than to any other people?

Love is what. Love is how.

And love is many faceted; there's love of ones children, family, and even friends. You don't just like these people or enjoy their company, you care for them. You can feel when somethings wrong and you feel compelled to raise their head when their eyes are downcast. You might even give your life for them.

That's how I define love.
Amol
Its Love that makes the world go round ..... thats what my friends say ( only those who have girl friends) biggrin.gif
joanne45
QUOTE(phoenix dying @ May 20 2006, 08:00 PM) [snapback]398545[/snapback]
QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ May 20 2006, 08:48 PM) [snapback]398523[/snapback]

People really need to stop saying 'love' when applying it to crap like that.

Wouldn't 'infatuation' and 'lust' work a little bit better?

Love is what ever you define it to be. Each to their own on this disease that we call love

Love is a powerful word of them all.
Love is a dangerous word of them all...
Love is love, is nothing without you
Love is love, is everything you do

Or I'd say 'passionate', 'seduction'/'seduce', or even 'sensual'/'sensuality' will do. wub.gif
GothGirl
I think many of the people who claim to be in love so quickley really just feel 'puppy love'...a crush on someone who happens to have a crush on you. I don't think all these 13 year olds who claim to be in love really know what 'true love' feels like until they are much older.

....Being a 13 year old I feel a need to argue this point. Age doesn't define when you love someone. I mean, for the most part people at a young age love their parent(s) or caretaker. This is love, though I doubt this is the love you're talking about. Most relationships at my age hardly involve love (jeez, half the relationships that people at my school have last less than a month). I'm not going to claim that I've felt true romantic love, but I don't think you can judge someone's feelings because of their age or the amount of 'experience' they've had.
ゆきえいり
QUOTE(GothGirl @ May 21 2007, 08:54 AM) [snapback]545469[/snapback]
Age doesn't define when you love someone.
You're right. Age doesn't define love. But, teens in particular tend to think that "OMG! They're the one! I'm in love!" and break up with whoever they were in 'love' with two weeks later. Just yesterday a 13 year old kid I know came up to me and told me he loved my sister, though he'd only known her for two weeks. I just laughed at him. He got pissed and told me, "You're just jealous because you don't know the meaning of true love!" You know what? I don't. And I don't plan on it for awhile. Kids these days are just too obsessed with 'love'.
Naivete
Kids these days are just too obsessed with 'love'.
No, not obsessed, it's just the "cool" thing to do. They think it puts them on a higher rank than other people if they have a boyfriend. And it gives them something to talk about.
He got pissed and told me, "You're just jealous because you don't know the meaning of true love!" You know what? I don't. And I don't plan on it for awhile.

laugh.gif *whole-hearted agreement*
GothGirl
Kids these days are just too obsessed with 'love'.
No, not obsessed, it's just the "cool" thing to do. They think it puts them on a higher rank than other people if they have a boyfriend. And it gives them something to talk about.

I actually have to agree with that. One of the main reasons I broke up with my previous boyfriend was that I felt that he was using the fact that he had a girlfriend (me) as a status symbol. Often people seem to have boyfriends/girlfriends simply so they can show them off. Like they're in the relationship just so that they can say 'look, I have a hot chick and you don't' or whatever. However, not all teens are like that. Sometimes people get in relationships because they actually like each others company (I know, it's hard to believe, eh?).
Razzy
Age doesn't define when you love someone.

I agree. I am 14, and considered "too young to have a boyfriend". But, I'm not the type of person to fall in love with any random good-looking guy. The only boyfriend I've ever had was a guy I've been best friends with for 8 years.
Lujuriosa_GiRl
Alright, to me love is nothing but a state of mind that I do not want to be in ever, 'nough said.
Chiyo
^Do you mean 'in love' or general 'love'....for if its the latter you better change your sig.
Amalthea
I think age does apply to love. Honestly, how many adults or married couples do you know are still with the same person they were with at age 13-17? Teenagers (myself included, as I'm 17) do not know what "love" is. You might argue that no one can give a perfect definition, but adolescents are still maturing and definitely don't have a solid understanding.
ed_drink_your_milk
I think age makes a difference, but it doesn't determine whether or not you know what 'love is'. Love isn't definable. Age only changes your view of love, not obscures it. Your idea of love matures as you do, so what you thought was love a year, or five, ago is probably different than what it is today, but that doesn't null the fact that it was there in the first place. Love isn't connected to puberty or growth spurts, it's with us all along and it just depends on how you interpret it at each stage of your life.

QUOTE(Amalthea)
...definitely don't have a solid understanding.

Honestly, I think that's ridiculous. Nobody has a solid understanding of love, that's why humans have been debating this subject for centuries.
Colette
lololol I don't know :D

(Really though, I don't think is something you can describe in words. You know it when you feel it I guess)
quiddityofquid
QUOTE(Amalthea @ May 25 2007, 08:17 AM) [snapback]547066[/snapback]
I think age does apply to love. Honestly, how many adults or married couples do you know are still with the same person they were with at age 13-17? Teenagers (myself included, as I'm 17) do not know what "love" is. You might argue that no one can give a perfect definition, but adolescents are still maturing and definitely don't have a solid understanding.

My parents got together in high school, and they are still together. Not that they're the norm, and not that they don't have their share of problems, but it IS possible to create a good, very long lasting (I can't say life long right now, but I hope it will be) relationship.
Amalthea
QUOTE(ed_drink_your_milk @ May 25 2007, 07:39 PM) [snapback]547158[/snapback]
I think age makes a difference, but it doesn't determine whether or not you know what 'love is'. Love isn't definable. Age only changes your view of love, not obscures it. Your idea of love matures as you do, so what you thought was love a year, or five, ago is probably different than what it is today, but that doesn't null the fact that it was there in the first place. Love isn't connected to puberty or growth spurts, it's with us all along and it just depends on how you interpret it at each stage of your life.

QUOTE(Amalthea)
...definitely don't have a solid understanding.

Honestly, I think that's ridiculous. Nobody has a solid understanding of love, that's why humans have been debating this subject for centuries.

That's why I said you can argue that no one can give a perfect definition, much less teens.

And I still stand by the fact that an experienced adult has a better understanding than a teenage girl who thinks she's "in lub" with her first boyfriend.

quiddityofquid: I know there are some very rare exceptions, but that's just it- they are a complete rarity. Even if it's possible, it certainly doesn't apply to most.
Lujuriosa_GiRl
QUOTE(Chiyo @ May 25 2007, 04:54 AM) [snapback]547023[/snapback]
^Do you mean 'in love' or general 'love'....for if its the latter you better change your sig.

Well obviously I was meaning to describe the term 'in love.' Now why would I want to go on describing the 'general love'? I just thought what I was describing would be rather obvious. That is why I didn't bother to be that specific and be like "to me being in love is yadda, yadda, yadda."
ゆきえいり
QUOTE(Amalthea @ May 26 2007, 10:39 AM) [snapback]547172[/snapback]
quiddityofquid: I know there are some very rare exceptions, but that's just it- they are a complete rarity. Even if it's possible, it certainly doesn't apply to most.
Actually, a lot of people who date in high school get married. I wouldn't consider it a rarity, but it's not a majority either. It's more in the middle, I guess.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.