Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Define Love
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Open Talk > Debate District
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Tyna
*Sighs*

Love is a complicated thing. Even falling in it, one would still not know what it means. Let's put all the brain together, my friends, and let do the unthinkable to mankind. Today, we're gonna define love.

Since I started this, I'll go first. It's just like someone told me, "Love is like a ghost, everyone speaks of it, but no one sees it". unsure.gif
Popogeejo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love

It's also a chemical imbalance in the brain.
I'm such a romantic rolleyes.gif
asunder
If you're under 21, and you think you're in love.....you're not in love.

Most people will mature and change (personality-wise) when they are in college.
They leave their little shells and protective bubbles to a sampling of the real world.

Toby-Chan
Love is a universal, ultimate power; the greatest ambition to strive to is to love other living beings and share that feeling of compassion in order to elevate ourselves into a greater realm of existence.

Romance is an imitation of that emotion, which incorporates some love, but mostly is a biproduct of lust and the naturally occuring tendency of the id to wish to reproduce and therefore impairs judgement in order to make mating possible. In ideal cases, that frenzy may die down into a more agreeable companionship built on mutual emotional understanding and caring for one anothers' welfare regardless of whether or not your own carnal needs are fulfilled. That is a much closer demonstration of honest love.

And Asu- 21? Wow, that's a nice little measurement of maturity; chronological years! Yeah! It's almost as brilliant of an idea as declaring all individuals as responsible adults at the age of eighteen, regardless of whether they really can do anything for themselves or not.

And you can't tell me that I don't love my mom at my age, because I sure as heck do.
asunder
QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ May 20 2006, 04:13 PM) [snapback]398383[/snapback]

Love is a universal, ultimate power; the greatest ambition to strive to is to love other living beings and share that feeling of compassion in order to elevate ourselves into a greater realm of existence.

Romance is an imitation of that emotion, which incorporates some love, but mostly is a biproduct of lust and the naturally occuring tendency of the id to wish to reproduce and therefore impairs judgement in order to make mating possible. In ideal cases, that frenzy may die down into a more agreeable companionship built on mutual emotional understanding and caring for one anothers' welfare regardless of whether or not your own carnal needs are fulfilled. That is a much closer demonstration of honest love.

And Asu- 21? Wow, that's a nice little measurement of maturity; chronological years! Yeah! It's almost as brilliant of an idea as declaring all individuals as responsible adults at the age of eighteen, regardless of whether they really can do anything for themselves or not.

And you can't tell me that I don't love my mom at my age, because I sure as heck do.

perhaps i should rephrase it then since i didn't mean to imply a lot of what you directed your response to:
I was really focusing on love of a boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse/SO. The age 21 was just something that defined a typical college age. Some people still aren't emotionally mature enough for love/a relationship by the end of college either.

If you're in high school and in a relationship. You're not in love.

Popogeejo
I was really focusing on love of a boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse/SO

Thats what I thought this was all about...
asunder
QUOTE(popogeejo @ May 20 2006, 05:38 PM) [snapback]398434[/snapback]

Thats what I thought this was all about...

you do the hokey-pokey and you turn yourself around...that's what it's all about.
phoenix dying
QUOTE(asu @ May 20 2006, 06:00 PM) [snapback]398420[/snapback]

If you're in high school and in a relationship. You're not in love.

I have a buddy of mine right now that thinks he is in love dry.gif Tisk Tisk Tisk...the 'kid' is going to ruin his whole life if is he is going to do, what he says he is going to do...STUPID MARTY! mad.gif in retro-spective he is fu*ked...

Love is just there to piss you off.
Toby-Chan
People really need to stop saying 'love' when applying it to crap like that.

Wouldn't 'infatuation' and 'lust' work a little bit better?

Maybe 'Twitterpation', to make a classic Disney reference to ridiculous hormonal giggityness.
phoenix dying
QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ May 20 2006, 08:48 PM) [snapback]398523[/snapback]

People really need to stop saying 'love' when applying it to crap like that.

Wouldn't 'infatuation' and 'lust' work a little bit better?

Love is what ever you define it to be. Each to their own on this disease that we call love
Carnal Malefactor
I'm pretty sure that real love originates above the belt.
phoenix dying
QUOTE(Void @ May 20 2006, 09:02 PM) [snapback]398549[/snapback]

To what belt on whom do you tell of? *wink* Both have a different meaning when applied
Carnal Malefactor
Across the board.
Toby-Chan
QUOTE(Void @ May 20 2006, 08:02 PM) [snapback]398549[/snapback]

dry.gif That's what I'm saying.

The problem is that it has come to encompass such a broad spectrum of definitions, many of them shallow and undesirably dysfunctional relationships that it's become overused and almost tainted as a word and a concept.

Because "Oh baby, you're so beautiful" is what we hear in what we all call love songs, and loss of ability to get laid causes people to emo and lament over how much "love sucks", it's become cheapened. Love is a good thing that all of us strive for to have a more fulfilling existence; not the subject of a dime store romance novel.

But then, I guess human emotion is something that even our ridiculously complex language can't really define, can it. There are so many levels of love and affection that creatures can feel towards one another; Lust and infatuation can be present at some levels, but they aren't all that love encompasses. They're often blinding to reality and cause difficulties in working relationships. During courtship, passion is what causes us to believe we are 'meant for' the person we are with, and we try to hide all our flaws and impress, and believe we can do no wrong, nor can the other person. Then that fades, and in the aftermath, you have reality; you can love that person, and probably always will, but you might not always like that person enough to keep up a functioning partnership. That's when people start to think love sucks, when it's a relationship malfunction caused by simple need for acceptance and maintenence.

I love everyone. (Even if I do get angry and use the H word once in a while) I certainly don't like everyone. There are lots of people I can't put up with. (Like half the population) Which is why I think a lifelong 'love' partnership should be based on more than just the love aspect; but of the like and compatability aspect. If it comes to it in the future, I don't want candlelight and champagne and constant giggles and nuzzling and public makeout sessions for the rest of my life; I'd prefer to have someone I'm comfortable sitting in the same room with, just coexisting. Probably too demanding and idealistic of me, though.

But hey, I'm half awake and this probably won't make any sense to me tomorrow morning.
phoenix dying
QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ May 20 2006, 09:19 PM) [snapback]398563[/snapback]

But hey, I'm half awake and this probably won't make any sense to me tomorrow morning.

Actually Toby i think you hit it right on mellow.gif I had to stop and think after i read it...damm i can't say anything against that.

But i do feel a bit (as they say) sorry for you, and at that i don't know why. do you need a hug? you wierd idealistic person that you are
Sharingan Serpent
I don't really want to get involved with love ever again for as long as I live... sad.gif

It can break your heart sometimes so I'm never going to again...and also the fact is that some of the boys I go out with are hopeless...
Carnal Malefactor
rolleyes.gif
What could you have possibly been involved with, at your age, that has you so jaded?
Sharingan Serpent
^^ Whats that suppose to mean? blink.gif

I just never want another experiance like that again...
Carnal Malefactor
What experience? What the hell are you on about?
Sharingan Serpent
Oh no I must say another word cause it would only be classified as Spamming if I recall so I am not going to bother laugh.gif bye...

I'll be honest I don't know what I'm on about ever since you asked me the question...
Popogeejo
My guess: She got dumped.
Sharingan Serpent
QUOTE(popogeejo @ May 21 2006, 02:33 PM) [snapback]398961[/snapback]

My guess: She got dumped.

Seriously it's usually the other way round or else they go to another country it's mostly the boys that go to a long distance country that I go out with...

I will say no more... sad.gif
Carnal Malefactor
...who the hell would go out with you, in the first place? What do you have to offer?
asunder
QUOTE(Void @ May 21 2006, 05:46 PM) [snapback]398981[/snapback]

...who the hell would go out with you, in the first place? What do you have to offer?

ouch a bit harsh.
phoenix dying
QUOTE(asu @ May 21 2006, 03:49 PM) [snapback]398983[/snapback]

QUOTE(Void @ May 21 2006, 05:46 PM) [snapback]398981[/snapback]

ouch a bit harsh.

But that is what we do expect of our dear bacon...

Sharingan Serpent
Why the heck would you want to know of my personal affiars...that would be classified as spamming wouldn't it? huh.gif

And a little bit nosey even for you Bacon...
Toby-Chan
Greeneyes- If you're really not into letting out information about your personal affairs, then please stop yammering on about it. My vision of it is that you're saying "Well, you'd call it spam" possibly with hopes that we might take pitious curiosity and insist you tell us. Either way, if you aren't comfortable sharing your situation, then don't share it. If you are, then do. None of this 'weeeeell I dunno if I wanna say anything' digging-your-toe in the carpet almost-telling. As I once heard a very wise Mini woman say, "Piss or get off the pot already".

And Bacon. Stop being a dickhead, plzkthnx.
Lone Wolf
Our society has warped the definition of love. Nowadays, many people think that love means the physical feeling of the word. Love is not having sexual feelings. Love is the way one feels emotionally (and spiritually) for other people. Love is not constricted to be between just a man and a woman. Love is an emotion one may have for others (such as family, friends, peers, etc...)

Love is:

-having patience with people
-being kind to others (even if you don't like them)
-not being envious of other people
-not being proud or boasting of one's self
-not being rude or disrespectful to others (yes, even towards authorities...)
-not being selfish
-not keeping score as to who did something wrong or who wronged you
-being truthful with others
-protecting those you love
-trusting your loved ones
-hope
-persevering through the hard times (instead of just filing for divorce...)

If love is considered in the above way, it will not fail anyone. If it is considered to be the "fulfillment of sexual pleasures", it will fail (and there is plenty of evidence for that...).

I hope that definition will suffice... I love y'all! tongue.gif

asunder
QUOTE(Lone Wolf @ May 23 2006, 07:57 PM) [snapback]399935[/snapback]

Our society has warped the definition of love. Nowadays, many people think that love means the physical feeling of the word. Love is not having sexual feelings. Love is the way one feels emotionally (and spiritually) for other people. Love is not constricted to be between just a man and a woman. Love is an emotion one may have for others (such as family, friends, peers, etc...)

Love is:

-having patience with people
-being kind to others (even if you don't like them)
-not being envious of other people
-not being proud or boasting of one's self
-not being rude or disrespectful to others (yes, even towards authorities...)
-not being selfish
-not keeping score as to who did something wrong or who wronged you
-being truthful with others
-protecting those you love
-trusting your loved ones
-hope
-persevering through the hard times (instead of just filing for divorce...)

If love is considered in the above way, it will not fail anyone. If it is considered to be the "fulfillment of sexual pleasures", it will fail (and there is plenty of evidence for that...).

I hope that definition will suffice... I love y'all! tongue.gif

I disagree with quite a few of your items in what is "love" list since you can have those qualities and not be in love...those though are qualilties of a decent human being.

also a small edit:
not to be too nitpicky but your sig: "Who is bred among wolves will soon learn to howl."
should this not be "One who is bred among wolves will soon learn to howl" ? or "Those who are bred among wolves will soon learn to howl .... or something different. Gramatically your sig is missing something
Toby-Chan
QUOTE(asu @ May 23 2006, 05:01 PM) [snapback]399936[/snapback]
also a small edit:
not to be too nitpicky but your sig: "Who is bred among wolves will soon learn to howl."
should this not be "One who is bred among wolves will soon learn to howl" ? or "Those who are bred among wolves will soon learn to howl .... or something different. Gramatically your sig is missing something

It may not sound specific, but I think "Who" could easily be the subject of a sentence, just as "What" could. Such as "What is good shall soon become beautiful."-Sappho. (I think that's how it went)
asunder
QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ May 23 2006, 08:16 PM) [snapback]399941[/snapback]

QUOTE(asu @ May 23 2006, 05:01 PM) [snapback]399936[/snapback]
also a small edit:

It may not sound specific, but I think "Who" could easily be the subject of a sentence, just as "What" could. Such as "What is good shall soon become beautiful."-Sappho. (I think that's how it went)

Ahh I see your point.
Lone Wolf
QUOTE(asu @ May 23 2006, 06:01 PM) [snapback]399936[/snapback]

I disagree with quite a few of your items in what is "love" list since you can have those qualities and not be in love...those though are qualilties of a decent human being.

also a small edit:

First off, let me ask you something, what is your definition of a "decent human being"?

Second, the quote isn't my own, I found it somewhere, so in order to please you, I found out who said it and added his name! biggrin.gif
phoenix dying
QUOTE(Lone Wolf @ May 23 2006, 08:48 PM) [snapback]399950[/snapback]

First off, let me ask you something, what is your definition of a "decent human being"?

Second, the quote isn't my own, I found it somewhere, so in order to please you, I found out who said it and added his name! biggrin.gif

A person with standards, morals, who doesn't kill people!

...even if you do have this guys name, the quote is still ucked up...
asunder
QUOTE(Lone Wolf @ May 23 2006, 08:48 PM) [snapback]399950[/snapback]

QUOTE(asu @ May 23 2006, 06:01 PM) [snapback]399936[/snapback]

also a small edit:

A decent human being has these qualities:

-kindness
-empathy
-altruism
-humility

(i'm probably missing quite a few but these are what popped into my head at the moment)
Envy's lil' miniskirt
Love is a myth for fools and dreamers.

*my favorite saying when I'm feeling bitter*
asunder
QUOTE(Envy's lil' miniskirt @ May 23 2006, 10:13 PM) [snapback]399961[/snapback]

Love is a myth for fools and dreamers.

*my favorite saying when I'm feeling bitter*

lol now you just need to make sure to shake your fist and then feign lower back pain while saying that.

by the way i replied to your last post on the penny on your thoughts thread...but i bet it's buried under a page or two of posts.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
No no no!
You have to lie across your bed or fainting couch in a forlorn manner while wearing a black victorian morning gown with the back of your hand across your forehead partially covering your eyes because the world is too painful to see.

But to each his own. tongue.gif

Yes I did see your post but was lurking at work because the sup kept running about. You are right happiness is worth more than money.
Toby-Chan
Pfft! You're both wrong!

You have to say it while slouching in a corner with your sweatshirt hood up and your hair covering one eye.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
See, that's the emo way. Mine's the goth way and asu............the "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore" way.
phoenix dying
QUOTE(Envy's lil' miniskirt @ May 23 2006, 11:00 PM) [snapback]399997[/snapback]

See, that's the emo way. Mine's the goth way and asu............the "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore" way.

isn't that more like killing yourself to deal with your problems blink.gif or is it im going to fix my problem...aka killing a large mass of people huh.gif
Popogeejo
The Goth way is fun to watch and act out. The Emo way is dull but it's the angry one I'd do. It has more passion. PASSION!
Sharingan Serpent
^^Yup I'd have to agree with that one laugh.gif
Smoke Alchemist
You forgot Emo's also love to cut when they are miserable...and since I don't want to spam and stay on topic...

Love means never having to say your sorry!...I'm out!
asunder
QUOTE(Smoke Alchemist @ May 24 2006, 06:32 AM) [snapback]400111[/snapback]

You forgot Emo's also love to cut when they are miserable...and since I don't want to spam and stay on topic...

Remember not down the street. Go across the alley.
Popogeejo
QUOTE(Smoke Alchemist @ May 24 2006, 11:32 AM) [snapback]400111[/snapback]

No quoting crappy films! mad.gif wink.gif
Love means you share the same enimes.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
QUOTE(asu @ May 24 2006, 03:33 AM) [snapback]400112[/snapback]

QUOTE(Smoke Alchemist @ May 24 2006, 06:32 AM) [snapback]400111[/snapback]

Remember not down the street. Go across the alley.

Actually it's up the block not across the street. *

And,When emo just isn't emo enough.
Warning. Could be disturbing for some.

*Sorry, all I could find was the t-shirt of Rippy the razor. I'll see if I can find the actually comic later.
Sharingan Serpent
QUOTE(popogeejo @ May 24 2006, 05:32 AM) [snapback]400126[/snapback]

Not really some couples are intitled to have some differances between them... ohmy.gif
phoenix dying
Love sucks...

plain and simple, or could say it like this:

Love is like a roller coaster:
when it's good you don't want to get off, and when it isn't...
you can't wait to throw up.
Toby-Chan
Yeah, it's all very funny. rolleyes.gif

I love you all.
Popogeejo
QUOTE(Greeneyes Alchemist @ May 24 2006, 08:36 PM) [snapback]400255[/snapback]

QUOTE(popogeejo @ May 24 2006, 05:32 AM) [snapback]400126[/snapback]

Not really some couples are intitled to have some differances between them... ohmy.gif

When did I say they counldn't have some diffences? i just said that they share the people they hate.
Also what do you mean by "Some"? Surely all couples are intitled to have diffrences....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.