Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ergo Proxy
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Anime > Let's discuss your fav anime series here!
Pages: 1, 2
Carnal Malefactor
Ergo Proxy (エルゴプラクシー Erugo Purakushī?) is a science fiction suspense anime television series, produced by Manglobe, which premiered across Japan on 25 February 2006 on the WOWOW satellite network. It is directed by Shukō Murase, with screenplay by Dai Satō et al.
(Source - Wiki)

List of Characters

Plot Summary: In a future where the world has been ravaged by a nuclear apocalyse, there exists salvation in a domed city named "Romdo", where humans and their android servants, the AutoReiv, live in. Under the implementation of complete management control, it is a paradise where feelings are literally discarded, and the governing council dictates the way of life the citizens should live. But this utopian landscape is soon broken by a series of mystifying murders. Re-l Mayer, a female inspector from the Citizen Information Bureau, along with her autoreiv partner Iggy, are tasked to solve the murder cases. She is soon attacked by a creature drawn to her which is neither human nor android, and learns about the mysterious phenomena called "Awakening", an event which draws her further into the case...and to the world beyond the limits of Romdo.

Genres: adventure, drama, horror, mystery, psychological, science fiction, supernatural
Themes: cyberpunk, post-apocalyptic
Episodes: 23
Age Rating: Older Teen
(Source - ANN)

----------------------------

Okay, so we're up to episode 9 now... What have we learned so far?
Quistis88
I've learned next to nothing. That, or I'm too lazy to say what I've actually learned, such as obvious things like "there is a virus and viruses are bad". Yeah, I got nothing.
Carnal Malefactor
The question on everyone's mind is Is Real really dead? Doesn't seem like episode 7 is a good time to kill off a lead character
Quistis88
Of course she's not dead. At least, that's my theory. In a technologically-advanced age such as the one they are in, I think it highly possible that even if she were to die, she can be revived in some way/form/etc. or other.
thearchitect
I personally don't think Real is dead. It seems to me that Daedelus is trying to throw off the police from her trail. If she is "dead" then she can go about and investigate all she wants as long as she keeps a disguise of some kind. I think perhaps she may go out and try to find Vincent as well. BTW does anyone know the expected number of episodes in this show?
edsgirl
The going to find Vincent theory was my guess as well, but wouldn't that be a total bummer if she was really dead?

But yea, I'm still confused as hell.

How hawt was Vincent once he finally showed us some eye action? tongue.gif
Carnal Malefactor
where.the.hell.is.episode.10!?!?!?!?!?! mad.gif
edsgirl
I know!! WTF is taking so long? I've read that the dialouge is hard to translate, but sheesh. I got tired of waiting, so I actually read what happens in 10 already. I hate when I have to do that.
asunder
QUOTE(edsgirl @ May 25 2006, 01:05 AM) [snapback]400577[/snapback]

I know!! WTF is taking so long? I've read that the dialouge is hard to translate, but sheesh. I got tired of waiting, so I actually read what happens in 10 already. I hate when I have to do that.

no offense but fansubbers not being paid to do this. They have lives outside this hobby. Quit complaining.
Carnal Malefactor
It's like a dealer who hangs you out to dry, dammit! We need our fix!
asunder
QUOTE(Void @ May 25 2006, 01:25 AM) [snapback]400600[/snapback]

yeah but the fansub process takes some time if you want quality. else you can probably just find another source if you're too impatient.

It's a little more than just the translation. There's encoding and editing which are pretty important and time consuming steps. I mean would you want some blurry pos video file? or have to read engrish subtitles?

and technically ergo proxy is prelicensed meaning US based fansub groups aren't supposed to even touch them.
edsgirl
QUOTE(asu @ May 25 2006, 01:36 AM) [snapback]400605[/snapback]

QUOTE(Void @ May 25 2006, 01:25 AM) [snapback]400600[/snapback]

yeah but the fansub process takes some time if you want quality. else you can probably just find another source if you're too impatient.

It's a little more than just the translation. There's encoding and editing which are pretty important and time consuming steps. I mean would you want some blurry pos video file? or have to read engrish subtitles?

and technically ergo proxy is prelicensed meaning US based fansub groups aren't supposed to even touch them.

Uh chill! I'm perfectly aware of the fansubbing process and I work for a lot of scanlating groups, so I know first hand how tedious the work is and not getting a dime to do it. It's all for the fans. I wasn't even being serious, and I already said that I found another source if you read my last post at all.
asunder
QUOTE(edsgirl @ May 25 2006, 02:08 AM) [snapback]400609[/snapback]
Uh chill! I'm perfectly aware of the fansubbing process and I work for a lot of scanlating groups, so I know first hand how tedious the work is and not getting a dime to do it. It's all for the fans. I wasn't even being serious, and I already said that I found another source if you read my last post at all.

From my (an outsider's) pov, Void and you were complaining. I responded.

What scanlating groups?

ever hear of shojo-magic?
edsgirl
QUOTE(asu @ May 25 2006, 02:25 AM) [snapback]400612[/snapback]

What scanlating groups?

ever hear of shojo-magic?

Sorry, OT Mods:

Mostly yaoi groups, but Essence of Purity, Datenshi Blue( I also mod there), and Obsession. I usually just do individual projects, because my real jobs don't allow me time for a whole lot of scanlating. The sfx are beeyotches in yaoi scanlations. dry.gif

Of course I've heard of Shojo Magic. Pretty large group.
asunder
QUOTE(edsgirl @ May 25 2006, 12:34 PM) [snapback]400738[/snapback]

Sorry, OT Mods:

Mostly yaoi groups, but Essence of Purity, Datenshi Blue( I also mod there), and Obsession. I usually just do individual projects, because my real jobs don't allow me time for a whole lot of scanlating. The sfx are beeyotches in yaoi scanlations. dry.gif

Of course I've heard of Shojo Magic. Pretty large group.

heh, the head 'bish' of that group is a person i've known for almost 6-7 years...back then we used to fansub together.

Okay, I'll let this topic get back to ergo proxy.
Quistis88
Er, well, just to get this back on topic a little . . .

QUOTE(edsgirl @ May 23 2006, 10:02 PM) [snapback]400021[/snapback]
How hawt was Vincent once he finally showed us some eye action? tongue.gif

I was surprised by what I saw. I never knew he could be so . . . good-looking, to put it calmly. tongue.gif
Thievesvinegar
What's with the toy soldiers?
Quistis88
QUOTE(Thievesvinegar @ Jun 1 2006, 08:28 PM) *
What's with the toy soldiers?

Who knows? I find this anime slightly confusing, as nothing is really explained. Good thing there are fansub notes. I just finished episode 9. Finally, we find out where the "Ergo" part of the title comes from.
Carnal Malefactor
FINALLY! Ani-jiyuu released episode 10.

The last 2 episodes have had some moments with major yaoi overtones... I hope this isn't where the series is leading... ph34r.gif
Quistis88
QUOTE(Void @ Jun 4 2006, 12:22 PM) *
The last 2 episodes have had some moments with major yaoi overtones... I hope this isn't where the series is leading... ph34r.gif

Yeah, I was pretty surprised myself.

Yay, so Real isn't dead. But I don't like how they haven't told us why she didn't die from that. Or maybe they did and I was just too slow to catch it. Anyhow, if they haven't, then time will tell. I hope.
Carnal Malefactor
Episode 12 was just killer.

I love how they're building up tension for the upcoming trip
Thievesvinegar
no, 13 was killer. Actually, the series is just getting pretty awesome.
Toby-Chan
Some new groups are picking up on it. Pino no Usagi seems to be the name.

I liked episode fourteen... had a lot of pretty moments. I liked the scene(s) that portrayed Real in tribute to a famous Ophelia painting.

Also... who here agrees that 15 was the most... 'special'... turn of events ever?

On another note, has anyone taken time to note the series' use of Engrish? More advanced and well used than most. A few writings have made me smile, though. I'll have to screencap a couple.
Popogeejo
I'm abit behind. Episode 11 cofused me.
I get that it was all in his head but still very hard to follow at times.

Am I the only one who found Doctor McLooks-like-a-kid very creepy when he was stroking the Cryogenics tube?

I realise why I was confused. Due to the ammount of episode I DL'd and the Hiatus I put it on I forgot where I had left off when I came back. I assumed I finished on 9 and not 7. Silly Popo...
Quistis88
Episode 20 was a doozy. ohmy.gif Until the very end. This series continues to impress me. Let's hope it can keep that up.
Toby-Chan
Got around to picking up Ergo Proxy again, after slacking on that. It's odd; I tend to be very excited about a series directly around the time I'm watching it, and then later, in my memory, it seems totally uncool.

I think I as discouraged from watching for a while when I went back to the first eps and realized I didn't have any idea what was going on. So in that way, it's like GITS: SAC for me. I watch entranced for a while, but my brain doesn't really pay attention. I just liked the pretty pictures and music, and liked the feeling of watching something where the characters say intelligent-sounding things.

But!

Episode sixteen made me fall back in love, genuinely this time. After the utter crack of episode 15, the series seemed to catch wind of itself and reach an equilibrium with honesty and humor. It had been too grave and took itself so seriously for quite a while, which made 15 all the more shocking, but 16 was a little bit of awesome character development, domestic fuzziness, and sincere charm.

And the ever classic battle of the sexes over toilet seats.

<3
edsgirl
I just finsihed watching 21, which means there are only 2 episodes left, and I'm just having a feeling that the ending is going to totally suck. I am so lost and I really doubt they can crank out a satisfying ending in two episodes. My freaking head hurts with all the questions I still have, and I am praying that some of them get answered.

WTF is going on Raul? Kinda lost you there at the end buddy.
So who wants to bet that Pino is the only one who is going to come out of this unscathed?
Toby-Chan
QUOTE(edsgirl @ Sep 27 2006, 04:47 AM) [snapback]451987[/snapback]
So who wants to bet that Pino is the only one who is going to come out of this unscathed?

A world with only Pino... she would feel "Lonliness" sad.gif

(I heard rumors of a second season. Maybe that's why they still have so many unanswered questions?)
edsgirl
QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Sep 27 2006, 11:57 AM) [snapback]452032[/snapback]

QUOTE(edsgirl @ Sep 27 2006, 04:47 AM) [snapback]451987[/snapback]

A world with only Pino... she would feel "Lonliness" sad.gif

(I heard rumors of a second season. Maybe that's why they still have so many unanswered questions?)

That would be sad for poor Pino, but the outcome just doesn't look good for anyone else.

I hope that rumor turns out to be true, but I also heard a rumor that EP isn't really all that popular in Japan.
Carnal Malefactor
The last few episodes of this have elicited more "WTF faces" from me than all of Evangelion, FLCL and RahXephon combined.

Popogeejo
Episode 19 scared the ba-Jesus outta me. I'm not having to much problems with the plot but damn, this is getting weird. Pino is getting to cute aswell. Nothing bad better happen to her mad.gif
Toby-Chan
Isn't it wonderful?

The brain-stretching makes for great re-watch value.

I loved their 'american style' animation they used. And the subtle bits of engrish.
Popogeejo
I think thats what scared me, the American animation in Ergo looks so bizare and seeing an Anime character with the western "Head lumps" was freaky.
It was nice to see Pino have the lime light though and "Attack of Ergo Proxy" might be the best movie poster ever.
Toby-Chan
A little birdie told me that Daedalus will be voiced in english by the guy who did Sasuke in Naruto.

laugh.gif
Popogeejo
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encycloped...ime.php?id=5115
Right at the bottom is the English cast. Interents > Birdies. tongue.gif
Toby-Chan
QUOTE(popogeejo @ Oct 2 2006, 03:51 PM) [snapback]454270[/snapback]

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encycloped...ime.php?id=5115
Right at the bottom is the English cast. Interents > Birdies. tongue.gif

Ah. So it's true then.
Popogeejo
I guess. Is this a good or bad sign?

EDIT
Why are there two people voicing Iggy and why is one of those people the guy who did Roy Mustang?
Toby-Chan
QUOTE(popogeejo @ Oct 2 2006, 03:54 PM) *

EDIT
Why are there two people voicing Iggy and why is one of those people the guy who did Roy Mustang?

Episode 13 spoiler!

maybe cause of his personality change? It's not quite as easy to measure dialect changes in english.
Popogeejo
That was what I was thiking (maybe.)

Loving the new Sig aswell biggrin.gif
edsgirl
QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Oct 2 2006, 07:03 PM) [snapback]454278[/snapback]

QUOTE(popogeejo @ Oct 2 2006, 03:54 PM) [snapback]454273[/snapback]

EDIT

Episode 13 spoiler!

[spoiler] maybe cause of his personality change? It's not quite as easy to measure dialect changes in english. [/spoiler]

I hope Travis Willingham is doing the before Iggy. And the girl who did Anita in R.O.D. might sound a little bit older, but it's going to be hard to match the cuteness of Pino. Two thumbs up for the rest of the cast. smile.gif
Toby-Chan
I just finished the series.

These aren't spoilers, and I shall be vague, but just in case anyone wants to finish the series completely surprpised and without influence from my opinion...

As someone else put it, the ending itself is not as 'head hurty' as the rest of the series, but it still leaves enough open and unexplained to not be completely obvious either.

I think it should have been extended some; they had three spaces left in the season, though I suppose if their budget only allowed so much, then it was wise to concentrate the story in a well made shorter venue rather than to stretch it and go NGE on us with pretentious attempts at artiness through pencil sketches.
Some characters' stories didn't wrap up as fulfillingly as they should have, and that's how it lacked ultimately.

The end of the story wasn't quite as existentialist as many other moments were promising it to be. While it's not entirely clear, the literal nature of some elements were a little disappointing when they had us expecting them to be something more.

I wanted to be blown away, but essentially... wasn't. On the more or less literal note they ended, I hope to see this given continuation in another season.
Popogeejo
I'll probably won't be vauge atall (or coherent).

The plot felt a bit contorted at times (I watched the last 4 eps in one sitting) but it did wrap nicely and leaves the door open to another season while not necessitating it.

Bits I liked of the series:
The "white" Real was funky when she came into her own (Is an instant fan of MonadxErgo!Vince.)

Pino. She stole alot of the show IMO and having her save Real made me feel all fuzzy.

Bits I didn't like;
Nothing springs to mind at the moment. The general "Throw the audience strait in and let them make heads and tails of it one thier own" style was slightly niggly but I probably would have gotten bored stiff if they had taken the time to explain every little thing.

It think this series would be better when watched a second time as you won't be confused by the random time shifts.

I can only note that my mind is a bit scrammbled and it'll be a few hours of rationalisng beofre I can for a more cohesive oppinion on the whole thing...
Toby-Chan
I agree with you on that moment Popo. It made me warm and fuzzy inside too. *giggles*

That is so Pino. <3333333

However...

I couldn't quite buy the Monad thing, mostly because it was thrust upon us so quickly. Granted, it was hinted to us from episode 10, but her development was left entirely to guessing up until that point. Her character didn't get a whole lot, along with Daedalus' spiral into complete obsessive insanity which lead to her cloning/rebirth. It would have been a lot more heartbreaking if they had developed it more. It was there, and I knew it logically, but it didn't hit an emotional chord with me, as much as I wanted it to.

If we had been able to see Daedalus' plight unfurl more slowly and intimately, then he would have been more sympathetic, and I probably would have cried from that "No... don't fly too high..." line.

Same with Raul. If it happened in more detail, then I would have felt more deeply about it, especially that 'letter to daddy'.

D: I had really wanted for him and Pino to see eachother again.
Popogeejo
I never felt much love for old Daedalus. He struck me as arrogent and smug rather than intelligent but it was obvioius how much he felt for Real.

I'm crurious thought abuot Real. I assume Monad!Real was a clone or Real-Real and therefore Real-Real must also be a proxy.
The more I think about it the odder it seems.

Maybe it didn't help that I left big gaps between watching diffrent episodes.
Quistis88
I agree with everything that everyone has said so far, so I don't have too much to add.Although I did think that the Icarus allusion line was a nice touch near the end. I didn't think they would actually do that, even though I should've seen it coming with the name "Daedalus". Almost makes it seem like incest. tongue.gif
Carnal Malefactor
Ever wonder what kind of makeup Re-l uses?

Popogeejo
http://www.caveat-lector.com/comic.php?comicID=277

ETA: Jul 9 2007
So, I notice some members have been watching this recently. I assume it's the English dub right? Is it any good or is it kind of crappy?
fawks
@abstruse eulogy: that comic made my day =D

i absolute loved ergo proxy.. dark and somewhat of a psychological thriller

QUOTE(popogeejo @ Oct 6 2006, 08:47 PM) *
I never felt much love for old Daedalus. He struck me as arrogent and smug rather than intelligent but it was obvioius how much he felt for Real.

I'm crurious thought abuot Real. I assume Monad!Real was a clone or Real-Real and therefore Real-Real must also be a proxy.
The more I think about it the odder it seems.

Maybe it didn't help that I left big gaps between watching diffrent episodes.

hm.. my interpretation was that daedalus used the cells from the dead monad to create the clone of Real thus the monad-real has memories/powers of monad.. so Real-real is just a human being... i don't really know the details though and i may be wrong =P
lunneth
~ Ergo Proxy: Cyber Punk At Its Best ~

well what to say. ergo proxy is a series about a 19 year old girl called Re-l (pronounced: ri-el) and her job. she works for the central citizen protection bareau with her auto reiv companion iggy (a robot. also voiced by travis willingham) on the way though Re-l learns about special beings called proxies that exist out side of their city (which is covered by a huge opaque dome btw) but soon a proxy begins to appear around an imigrant from outside the city as he tries to gain citizenship. he is called vincent valentine and literally draws proxies near him constantly.

well thats all i can give away before the plot begins to reeal spoilers that could be queeried and worked out by anyone. well there ya have it.
Tombow
@Lunneth elric - *cough* Ergo Proxy thread. smile.gif

Closing the thread. Anyone who would like to discuss this anime, please add your posts on the existing Ergo Proxy thread. smile.gif

ETA Sept. 17, 2009 . Thread merged.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.