Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chapter 59 "Regular" Discussion Thread For First Time Readers (and Others)
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Manga
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Antimony
First time FMA manga readers, please post your thoughts and discussions on chapter 59 here. smile.gif

For info about the "Reading Reference", go to page 17.

==============

RAW and content discussions start on page 7!!

~Chapter 59, New Month, New Chapter! Countdown and prediction!! ~

We're almost at the the Chapter 60 mark! Yay!

The flashback should pick up where Riza left off and we'll get to see Roy, Armstrong, and the three other State Alchemists fighting in Ishval. Maybe we'll see how Scar got his scar and if it was Kimbley who gave it to him as it was in the anime. Marcoh and Knox haven't made appearances yet, so whatever they were up to is still a mystery. Riza herself hasn't appeared in her own flashback, either. What was she doing all this time? Hopefully we'll get some more clarification on these things in a few days. Squee! biggrin.gif

<Last edited by Michiyo- on July 17, 2011>
Reika
squeee!! can't wait to read it!!!
MonsterEnvy
Oh, must you remind us that we're waiting? grrr. Marcoh and Knox did make a teensy weensy appearance each in chapter 58, Knox when Riza's doing her speechish thing, and Marcoh just before Scar. But, yes, they haven't *appeared.*

My bet is that the chapter starts out with Marcoh, and him beginning to explain to Scar what was going on in the laborotories (bets that they use the Ishvalian military members?) Then, we move back to Al and Knox, segued through Knox appearing in Marcoh's flashback. Next, we learn about the extermination from Knox, and finally return to Riza and Ed talking about her history.

Just a speculation, but I think that all three of those things will be in the chapter, if not necessarily like that.
Reika
My bet is that it starts as if noone is telling us anything, and eventually will appear marcoh telling the story.
CowAlchemist
I hope some EdxWinry is added.
Reika
I wish some RoyxRiza T^T
N. Havoc J.
QUOTE(CowAlchemist @ May 1 2006, 04:02 PM) [snapback]388894[/snapback]

That would be completely random and out of place.
Crystal220
ohh but i bet Sensei might just save the best for last...

that might mean no RoyxRiza moments till quite a bit later..! T__T
MonsterEnvy
QUOTE(N. Havoc J. @ May 1 2006, 04:24 PM) [snapback]388899[/snapback]

Yes, Winry is off in Rush Valley, and they're in the middle of beginning the Ishval flashback. EdxWin *will* happen in the series (yay, fangirls and fanboys alike!) but not anytime soon. Chapter 70, 75 would be my guess... *drools in anticipation* It'll be nice when they finally get over all of that... schtuff. I wonder what Al would think about that? Once he gets his body back, he might like Winry just as much as Ed...
*gets back to the matter at hand*

Reika, I agree that that's another possible and even likely beginning. Another is that they start with 'executive order 3066' and then show the alchemists pwning women, children, and various establishments. It should be a pretty awesome chapter: we'll finally begin to understand what happened in Ishbal. This spoiler party will probably be one of the best that we've had in a while.

9 days until the RAW!
Sensenic
QUOTE(Antimony @ May 1 2006, 07:40 PM) [snapback]388830[/snapback]

The flashback should pick up where Riza left off and we'll get to see Roy, Armstrong, and the three other State Alchemists fighting in Ishval. Maybe we'll see how Scar got his scar and if it was Kimbley who gave it to him as it was in the anime. Marcoh and Knox haven't made appearances yet, so whatever they were up to is still a mystery. Riza herself hasn't appeared in her own flashback, either. What was she doing all this time? Hopefully we'll get some more clarification on these things in a few days. Squee! biggrin.gif

Hmmm, note: It was not Riza's story... How the f*** would she know what Scar and his brother would have been discussing? Or about the Rockbells? (If she knew, not telling Winry about that would've been REALLY cruel)

It's just that, the "coincidence" of several characters reminding Ishval at the same time serves as an excuse to show us, the readers, what happened there as if it was the normal manga, that is, from no specific POV, and all of them at the same time. Just to close, at least to us, the readers, this topic once and for all.

This quite a usual thing to do, AFAIK, in narrative.
Keoni
Jeeej! I can't wait (yet again)

I hope we get more insight in Ishvall in this one. But I "fear" it will go into Scar's side of the story, the tatoo on his arm, that sort of stuff. And maybe the encounter with Kimblee.
Chiyo
QUOTE(N. Havoc J. @ May 1 2006, 09:24 PM) [snapback]388899[/snapback]

Well not really, the past couple of chapters have had some form of Ed/Win, its just not been interaction between them. I think it will be hinted at quite a bit now (where needed)

I hope this chapter is a bit more then filler, it has to build up to chapter 60.
Nepharski
Ishbal spills it's secrets...amongst other things. Here's some food for thought: Didn't some of the Devil's Nest crew hail from the Ishbalian front? Perhaps we haven't seen the last of our loyal subordinates. We also finally get to see Kimbley and Grand, face to face, which brings up another interesting note. All this time, we've steadfastly stood by that the Manga Grand might not look like the Anime one, as he hasn't appeared yet, nor was likely too at the time. However, this suggest that the two media are closer in this aspect than we might have thought. What I want to know is...when comes Archer? ph34r.gif

Scar's tatoo and scar will reveal themselves soon, methinks. Perhaps we will even know his name...

Also, and this is merely wishful thinking, the last round of flashbacks we had ended with a resolution and a new Homunculi. Perhaps the patern will repeat itself.
MasterKris
THE LONG WAITED CHAP OF THE ISHBAL WAR!!!!!!!!
(can't wait can't wait can't wait!!)
Finally, secrets will be revealed~~ ph34r.gif

Scar's tatoo and scar will reveal themselves soon, methinks. Perhaps we will even know his name...

GASP!!
I totally forgot about that!! Mabye Scar's name will be known.. but I don't think it will be revealed in the next chap though... possibly the next next one or mabye Arakawa-sensei will do the same thing as the anime and seal it off.

*cks*
10 days left~~
GS4Life
As intriguing as Ishbal is I really hope we get some Winry,Greed II, and RanFan. Funny out of all the crazy ideas and out of all he crazy question I've had in my head, I never once really owndered what Scar's real name is. I'm betting that Hiromu revealed some secrets to the anime wrters about her plans for the future(like that Kimblee killed Scar) but that though has me really worried about Ed killing Greed(Yikes even the possibility is scary sure it adds more drama but ;_; at the though of Ed having to kill Ling, though I bet that's nothing more than paranoia on my part) I wonder if Envy is going to play a big role in the war rather than justing shooting a kid(I mean seriously I hope that Envy doesn't get Darth Vader'D and is only though of to kill kids that just wouldn't be cool)

From what the Homonculus were saying it sounds like nearly an entire country had to be used as ingredients for a Philospher but from what Marcoah was saying I'm guessing the Ishvalians were used as sacrifices but between the ones killed on the battlefeild and the suviors there doesn't seem to be nearly enough people to make a Philospher Stone, especially taking Xeries into consideration. I wonder if there will be any more Alchemist other than Roy,Armstrong,Gran,Marcoah,Kimblee, and the Silve Alchemist(forgot his name) you'd think there'd be more State Alchemist than just them.
MonsterEnvy
QUOTE(Sensenic @ May 1 2006, 05:45 PM) [snapback]388933[/snapback]

QUOTE(Antimony @ May 1 2006, 07:40 PM) [snapback]388830[/snapback]

Hmmm, note: It was not Riza's story... How the f*** would she know what Scar and his brother would have been discussing? Or about the Rockbells? (If she knew, not telling Winry about that would've been REALLY cruel)

It's just that, the "coincidence" of several characters reminding Ishval at the same time serves as an excuse to show us, the readers, what happened there as if it was the normal manga, that is, from no specific POV, and all of them at the same time. Just to close, at least to us, the readers, this topic once and for all.

This quite a usual thing to do, AFAIK, in narrative.

Riza's story, and Riza's flashback, meaning the bits of flashback that Riza began flashing back to but didn't actually flash.

Without 'flash' and 'back' so much... riza hasn't really flashbacked yet, she started to and then the scene changed.

Although, Riza did flash back at the end of chapter 57 tongue.gif

I do hope to see Martel. I thought that she and the rest of the chimaeras where killed off sadly quickly. I bet Knox knew some of them, and Al goes all emotional.

I'm also interested in seeing what happens to change Scarless!Scar from the upset but peaceful man that he is to the crazy murdering tattooed scarred evil maniac we've come to know and love.
N. Havoc J.
To the one who posted this you ass you got my hopes up for nothing!!!
MasterKris
^I should tell you that a thread for the next chap for FMA starts around one or two weeks before the actual chapter comes out. The FMA chapta comes out on the 11th on every month. People don't start this thread to post scans, translations, etc., they start it to discuss about it. Life doesn't go your way. Be more respectful to people. dry.gif
Antimony
QUOTE(N. Havoc J. @ May 1 2006, 08:55 PM) [snapback]389047[/snapback]

Get over it, kid. I didn't start this thread to be insulted, I did it to generate some thoughtful discussion. We're all just as anxious as you are for the RAW to come out on or near the tenth and even moreso for the translation a day or so later, but try not to go around snapping and calling names unless you'd like to get banned from the board.
Animeoldtimer
Well said. smile.gif

I think the story of the Rockbell's will continue and we will learn more about the invasion of Ishval. Basiclly mostly flashback.

The closest we might get to Ed/Winry would be Ed and Al discussion getting Ran Fan a new arm. Who know's? It's still possible they could go back to Rizembol thinking they'd be protecting Winry by not getting her involved. Not likely I suppose.
riza'slittlesister
This is just a note: We have seen/heard about Gran(d?) more than once. *nods* We see him at the end of 58 AND Hughes tells Roy on 6.21 that Scar killed him.
Tombow
QUOTE(N. Havoc J. @ May 1 2006, 07:55 PM) [snapback]389047[/snapback]
@N. Havoc J. - Sorry if we gave you the false excitement.. biggrin.gif
But, this has been somewhat of a tradition for our board (at least in the past few chapters, I think) to open a thread for the coming chapter little early, so that we can talk about our excitement, our speculations for the content of next chapter, etc.
I actually enjoy reading how others think what's in the coming chapter, etc.
I hope you'd also like to join the anticipation!! happy.gif
Full Metal Elf
I can't wait for this! *Squee*....happy.gif...
simargl
Come to think of it, if Ran Fan gets a new arm, will it be from Winry in Rush Valley, or Pinako in Rizembol?

If she does get it from Winry, you can bet she'll put a lot of neat weaponry in it. Heck, maybe even a rocket launcher!

I think it'll be nice to see Ran Fan and Winry spend some time together and build a friendship. There aren't enough female friendships shown in manga or anime, or even TV and movies.
Reika
This part of the manga will be a great part, there will be so much things revealed.. I think I'm going to need some pool or something so I can drool on it while having an epileptic sweet attack for joyness lol! XD
Tombow
^^ Haha, Reika!! laugh.gif

QUOTE(simargl @ May 2 2006, 02:14 AM) [snapback]389284[/snapback]
Come to think of it, if Ran Fan gets a new arm, will it be from Winry in Rush Valley, or Pinako in Rizembol?

If she does get it from Winry, you can bet she'll put a lot of neat weaponry in it. Heck, maybe even a rocket launcher!

I think it'll be nice to see Ran Fan and Winry spend some time together and build a friendship...
@simargl - I agree that Winry will make an awsome automail for RnFan!!
But, if she need the place to stay while getting recovering/rehabilitaion, Rizembol might be a nicer place for her to stay.. happy.gif

And, now, I'm officially joining the countdown... biggrin.gif
Chiyo
QUOTE(N. Havoc J. @ May 2 2006, 01:55 AM) [snapback]389047[/snapback]

Hadn't you already posted here anyway?

Haha its May, and yes from tomorrow we are into single figures of days left. I do so enjoy having something to look forward to.

I think Ran-Fan will go to Winry for auto-mail as I think she would be too far from the action. Plus they would get on well and both need a good friend at this time.
Kironeko
Thank you so much people; I've been tortured not knowing when the next chapter would be out. I started reading the manga when there were about 57 chapters, heh heh, and I read it almost non-stop, so I've gotten used to being able to find out "what happens next" when I get to the cliffhangers, and now...-__-

I really want to know the story behind Hawkeye's tattoo/scar. And speaking of Hawkeye, there's something I've been wondering since I saw the anime: why is it her personal mission to protect Mustang? I mean, yes, you could say "It's true love!!!!", but I want to know the story. It's going to be a great chapter, but probably too short to fully satisfy us smile.gif. So many things...Scar, Winry, military people, Xing people.... I can't wait for the day when Ran Fan meets up with Ling again, even though it's sure to be angsty (but that won't be for quite some time).

BTW, is anyone else creeped out by Ling!Greed? It's kinda...disturbing. To me, anyway.
amrayn
QUOTE(N. Havoc J. @ May 1 2006, 05:55 PM) [snapback]389047[/snapback]

The final competitive examination of my schooling begins the day the raw comes out and lasts one month and a half sad.gif . Well, I must know my priorities and I am already crying for the additional wait. I am rather happy to read the others' opinions before being studious... (Sorry for the story of my life, that's uninteresting)
Keoni
QUOTE(amrayn @ May 2 2006, 11:13 AM) [snapback]389426[/snapback]

QUOTE(N. Havoc J. @ May 1 2006, 05:55 PM) [snapback]389047[/snapback]

The final competitive examination of my schooling begins the day the raw comes out and lasts one month and a half sad.gif . Well, I must know my priorities and I am already crying for the additional wait. I am rather happy to read the others' opinions before being studious... (Sorry for the story of my life, that's uninteresting)

What? You're going to make your exams wait?! blink.gif
LOL just kidding! Poor you!

@ N.Havoc.J: Now there's a nice enterance into a thread! Why didn't I think of that? dry.gif
@Kironeko: I like Ling/Greed. It's very interesting. I'd like to see where that goes.

Anyway, I think Ed refered to Winry when he talked about a great Mechanic. The new homonculus-theory is really nice. I'd like that a lot. (Maybe we will finally see Pride! *sqeeee)
MasterKris
Here's one question, HOW are they gonna bring Ran Fan to Rush Valley?? Winry can't come to Central since the Furher is watching her every move and I'm sure operating an automail surgery will bring some neighbors and crowds around the doctor's house....
Reika
I think we'll see her already in rush valley with an automail after the whole flashback
MasterKris
^Now that's not fun. sad.gif
GS4Life
I agree with having RanFan going to get automail and building a friendship with Winry, not only are they my two favorite characters but that would make a RanFan-Winry yuri pairing so much more-*is shot*...........
then cremated.........
N. Havoc J.
QUOTE(N. Havoc J. @ May 1 2006, 08:55 PM) [snapback]389047[/snapback]

To the one who posted this you ass you got my hopes up for nothing!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I'm sorry, I wasn't serious or anything I just realized that when I saw this I thought the raw was floating around or something. Would it have be better if I put smiley faces up? Anyway I just can't wait to see Hughes in action. Wasn't a big difference between manga Hughes and anime Hughes was that he was in the war in the manga?
Nil-chan
Yeah, i was a bit suprised at that too. I want to see him kick some major butt, it will be awesome, et tragic at the same time.

'm also excited to see what happens to RanFan and all. like said before, she'll prolly get the automail after the flashback, but im good wth that. All my favorite characters are in the military, so this flashback stuff is wroking for me. What i really want to see though is more of Gring and if poor Ling ever gets back.
Magical Poof
Hmm... I say Pinako gives RanFan the automail. After all, Winry's under Bradley's watch. I also say we don't get to see much of anything about RanFan's automail installation. It just "appears" and she's all weak and stuff. It'd be interesting if Ling/Greed made a visit, but it wouldn't make much sense or anything, but the shipper in me is always looking for hints... >_>

Among other ideas, I think that the Ishvalan military people wil lalso be used in experimenting. We'll probably switch between flashblacks from the "mustache men (plus Roy)" to the Ishvalans to Marco's... Other... Story...
Nil-chan
Oh yeah, i forgot about winry and bradley. It would probably make more sense for Pinako to do that, huh? It'd be interesting to see Pinako's reaction to that.
Animeoldtimer
Plus several chapters back Hoho warned Pinako to leave Rizenbol for her own safety. Maybe that issue will come in to play soon. But that would come in a later chapter.
snwbnny
Animeoldtimer: That's what I was thinking. xD

I hope to learn more about how the Rockbells were killed...Well, not really how. I guess I shouldn't say that. More of...Why they were killed.

Ok, I know this sounds really stupid and I'll probably get bricks thrown at me for even suggesting this... But what if the whole ordeal between Scar getting the tattoo is connected with the Rockbells? Like... I don't know. -Hides under coffee table-
Nil-chan
Hoho warned Pinako to leave Rizenbol for her own safety

Hhmmm, didn't it say in chappie 58 that there was an attack on Rizenbool by the Isbalans? Is there maybe some major connection between the little countryside town and the war that could come into play again?
catalyste
i don't really get why it RanFan would have to get her automail in secret. what's the problem with her going to Rush Valley and Winry fitting her with automail? could someone please explain that to me...
MonsterEnvy
You might try reading the thread...

Winry's being watched by Wrath, who doesn't currently know RanFan's whereabouts, or that Knox is involved. It'd be difficult to have Ranfan get the automail in Rush Valley withou Wrath finding out, and killing her. She's not a hostage or a sacrifice- just a bother.
Keoni
^^ I wondered about that one. Man I need a map! Is Rizenbool close to the east?

However, I'm rooting for some major alchemic action in this chapter! I don't think we'll get to RanFan's automail just yet, the automail-question won't come to play until chap. 60 at least.. happy.gif Or so I think...

Ah no! Don't kill RanFan! She needs to hook up with Ling! LOL
Nil-chan
How many more days till this comes out? This thread is getting me so pumped! I thnk we'll probably stay in flashback land for a while,so no automail for Ranfan yet, i don't think. Or Ling either.
Tombow
^^ @Nil-chan - Maybe about a week more?? (Tho, hopufully it will be shorter...)
Yeah, I forgot about Winry being watched. It's a tough time for all our good guys isn't it?? sad.gif
catalyste
QUOTE(MonsterEnvy @ May 3 2006, 03:19 PM) [snapback]389990[/snapback]

Winry's being watched by Wrath, who doesn't currently know RanFan's whereabouts, or that Knox is involved. It'd be difficult to have Ranfan get the automail in Rush Valley withou Wrath finding out, and killing her. She's not a hostage or a sacrifice- just a bother.

i did read the thread, but i was still confused.

i know Winry's being watched by Wrath, but my problem is why Bradley would want to kill Ran Fan. she hasn't proven herself to be a bother to him yet, and until she does, she's just a previous servant of Ling that Bradley (in my opinion) would let live.

in my mind, Ran Fan is missing an arm, she goes to Winry to get fitted for automail, Bradley either does not find out that Ran Fan visited Winry because his spies do not know of Ran Fan as a priority, or he does andit's fine with him as long as she doesn't cause any trouble.
simargl
There is the possibility that if Bradley does anything to Ran Fan, GreedLing may make trouble.
Antimony
Approximately six days left!

Who wants to guess about how Manga!Kimbley and Manga!Gran are different from their anime counterparts?
ElvishVamp
QUOTE(snwbnny @ May 3 2006, 01:44 PM) [snapback]389841[/snapback]

Animeoldtimer: That's what I was thinking. xD

I hope to learn more about how the Rockbells were killed...Well, not really how. I guess I shouldn't say that. More of...Why they were killed.

Ok, I know this sounds really stupid and I'll probably get bricks thrown at me for even suggesting this... But what if the whole ordeal between Scar getting the tattoo is connected with the Rockbells? Like... I don't know. -Hides under coffee table-

I think it's actually probable that the Rockbells had something to do with Scar getting the tattoo. It would sure give him a reason to kill them, what with his whole "alchemy is evil" bit. What exactly they had to do with it, though, I have no clue.

QUOTE(catalyste @ May 4 2006, 12:33 AM) [snapback]390198[/snapback]

QUOTE(MonsterEnvy @ May 3 2006, 03:19 PM) [snapback]389990[/snapback]

i did read the thread, but i was still confused.

i know Winry's being watched by Wrath, but my problem is why Bradley would want to kill Ran Fan. she hasn't proven herself to be a bother to him yet, and until she does, she's just a previous servant of Ling that Bradley (in my opinion) would let live.

in my mind, Ran Fan is missing an arm, she goes to Winry to get fitted for automail, Bradley either does not find out that Ran Fan visited Winry because his spies do not know of Ran Fan as a priority, or he does andit's fine with him as long as she doesn't cause any trouble.

Please note that Wrath has already tried to kill her once already and the fact that she was missing an arm didn't seem to bother him much then. The only reason he didn't kill her was because she ran away. It seems to me that Ranfan traveling to Rush Valley for automail surgery would be the opportune time to dispose of someone who could be a problem in the future. I have to agree that Gring would have a problem with that plan, which could make this scenario get pretty interesting should Ranfan decide to go to Rush Valley...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.