Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chapter 59 "Regular" Discussion Thread For First Time Readers (and Others)
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Manga
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Tombow
QUOTE(Ant @ May 12 2006, 10:36 PM) [snapback]394378[/snapback]
So, either Arakawa is showing us the transient lifespan (and perhaps tragically inevitable fate) of souls bonded to armor, or it was simply an oversight. Seeing as how Arakawa does not make such mistakes with any frequency, I am inclined to assume it was done for a reason. Unfortunately, only Arakawa knows the answer.
Makes sense. smile.gif

@Full Metal Elf - I agree, the whole conversation between Marcoh and Knox was very interesting.

Reika
So, either Arakawa is showing us the transient lifespan (and perhaps tragically inevitable fate) of souls bonded to armor, or it was simply an oversight. Seeing as how Arakawa does not make such mistakes with any frequency, I am inclined to assume it was done for a reason. Unfortunately, only Arakawa knows the answer.

Talking about this, and I hate to say this, but... did you notice it? There are some racord mistakes... for some reason she was really rushed to draw this one. And I hope she didn't make the mistake you are saying. Maybe she's doing another one-shot and that's why she didn't have enough time to draw this chapter <-- that's why I hate when someone starts doing another thing besides the main manga.

Page 20: Roy has his right hand with a normal glove
Page 21: That glove is suddenly an alchemical glove.
(we see, in the next cells, he has the left hand with a normal glove)

Somehow, I have the feeling she got mistaken with the other hand, and she was trying to show us that he only has one alchemical glove by that time. Anyways, there's another thing that still bothers me.

Page 20: the old alchemist, he's supposed to be the one that has both of his hands full of alchemical words, but this time,it's like she tried to show us he doesn't have them on his hands. But then.. why does he have them on chap 58, which is supposed to be before this one?

*sigh* if these were really "mistakes" (I hope not), we'll probably won't see them on the volume itself, but.-... T^T please, Arakawa, concentrate on your manga first T^T!!!
Tombow
^^ Wow, @Reika - You got keen eyes!!
Could it be that a large portion of this chapter had been drawn by her assistants?? sad.gif
Reika
woh! maybe... that would explain why Roy seems a chinese guy more than roy himself sometimes but... dunno... if that's the case ¬¬ hell, she can fire this one, lol, no, I don't mean to be mean... but, please, be carefull!!! T^T and if it's her asisstant... wow, she does draw really close to how Arakawa does, I want to be Arakawa's asisstant!! lol XD

Anyways... believe me, sometime's better not to be able to notice these kind of things...

PS: tongue.gif I can't stop laughing whenever I see this guy from page 30 that's giving drink or whatever to Riza, he's all like "oh...she's so beautifull... take here, dear... I hope you like it.. I-I made it myself" hahaha
Tombow
QUOTE(Reika @ May 13 2006, 04:16 AM) [snapback]394507[/snapback]
PS: tongue.gif I can't stop laughing whenever I see this guy from page 30 that's giving drink or whatever to Riza, he's all like "oh...she's so beautifull... take here, dear... I hope you like it.. I-I made it myself" hahaha
Ha, I got to go back and check it... along with all other stuff pointed out!! smile.gif
MonsterEnvy
...what a slow thread.

It is disappointing that there are so many inconsistencies. The glove thing can be written off to Roy liking to switch around, and the Barry/Slasher thing can be written off easily enough- but, combined with the blatant Joliot Comanche inconsistency, it's almost too much.

It wouldn't be that bad, but Arakawa-sensei has always seemed very on top of things like that, yet this chapter had all of those discrepancies. It makes me think that perhaps she was really distracted while drawing.
Reika
I hope this all happneed for a good reason, maybe she just knows what she did, and actually has a plan for all that... (except the glove...) but, yeah, I was like.. ."Arakawa? Are you alright?" I hope she's alright.
Sydney
...The Chimera Gang?! (God, can't wait for dubbed scanlation....)
Sannom
About this chapter, I wonder ONE thing above all : why is Kimbley so high ranked in the military? And what do they mean when they say "We're couting on you Major Kimbley"? Does it mean that Kimbley's going to perform the annihilation alone with the Philosopher Stone's help (if that so, he must be really powerful blink.gif)?
Tombow
QUOTE(Sannom @ May 14 2006, 03:22 AM) [snapback]395058[/snapback]
About this chapter, I wonder ONE thing above all : why is Kimbley so high ranked in the military? And what do they mean when they say "We're couting on you Major Kimbley"? Does it mean that Kimbley's going to perform the annihilation alone with the Philosopher Stone's help (if that so, he must be really powerful blink.gif)?
@Sannom - All State Alchemists, including Kimblee, start out ranked (or being equivalant of) Major in the Amestris military.
And, "We're couting on you Major Kimbley" part, I say that's a very good translation, IMO, but, it's also adding slightly more impression that they are heavily relying on Kimblee, in English translation, than what Japanese Raw is saying. Words in Japanese raw for that part mean somewhere between "We're counting on you" and "Do it well" I think. happy.gif

Oh, and, welcome to the board!! smile.gif
Tombow
^^ Come to think of it, "Raw" is such an aptly expressed way of saying it's untouched.
(Yeah, uncooked!! laugh.gif )

And... I'm patiently waiting for the scanlation!! biggrin.gif
Sannom
Your explication is quite good, but personnaly I make a distinction between State Alchemists :
--- the ones, like Ed and Tucker, that are a part of the military but are not "soldiers", they don't wear the military uniform and don't have an "official" place in the Army.
--- the ones, like Mustang, Armstrong and apparently Kimbley, that are really a part of the military and wear the uniform.

And the last ones don't seem to be as high ranked as the first ones : Armstrong has taken a rank since Ishbal war and he is actually a Major : so he was below this rank before. I think that when a State Alchemist become a part of the military, they start with an official rank lower than Major.

But I think that there is two explications for this :

--- Kimblee is highest ranked of the State Alchemist, and so he is the chief of the State Alchemist in the war (look how he spoke to Armstrong), and he is the one who will plan the annihilation
--- he is really powerful and the generals expect him to destroy Ishbal alone with the Philosopher Stone
simargl
Is Marcoh a State Alchemist? He has to be, because he is in military uniform.
MonsterEnvy
That's debatable. He hasn't been given a title, and is referred to as 'Doctor Marcoh' (the kanji is medical, not as in degree, btw) so I'm not totally sure. It's possible that he's like Anime!Tucker, and alchemist who isn't officially acknowledged by the military but just works there. However, it's just as possible that he is the 'Crystal Alchemist' again, and he simply hasn't been named as such. There's no real evidence for either point of view.
Nil-chan
patiently is to strong a word for me... mor elike 'running around and pulling her hair out' waiting.
simargl
If he's in a military uniform, he'd have to be a member of the military, right? And I can't see him as a soldier.

I'm thinking he ditched his title after the war.
Antimony
Hey, guys, the scanlation is done! Go get it! http://www.zomgfta.com/

P.S. Chapter 60 is scheduled for release on June 12th, so mark your calendars!
Antimony
Hey, guys, the scanlation is done! Go get it! http://www.zomgfta.com/

P.S. Chapter 60 is scheduled for release on June 12th, so mark your calendars!
Merc
What's the password hint for this month's scanlation at ZOMGFTA?

~Merc
MonsterEnvy

It shoudl be pretty obvious (especially when you go and look at the password hint thing, or simply view the source, but...

"The season that is not spring, winter, or fall."

Take a guess...

Well, while it was nice to have a ZOMGFTA chapter, I think that it was overtranslated a teense. The screams could have been left as hiragana, which probably would have made the release quicker...

It also feels like it took a while. Maybe that's just me, though.

Not much to discuss there, though. There weren't that many revelations in this chapter, just images of things that we already knew were going to happen.
Colette
Edit: Crap, wrong thread! >_<

Sorry!
Colette
...T_T

Doctor Knox is one of my FAVORITE characters, and him in pain just isn't cool.

And damn Kimbley for killing those two Ishbalans Armstrong saved D:
Nil-chan
SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! This amazing! Scanlations! WHoot!
*Reads it*
hehehe.... royai goodness. I like it whenHughes is telling Roy about the young sniper person and Roy is freaking out. Its also great when Hughes get the letter....
SJC
TT-TT *cry* I can't read the scanlation...I don't know the password...or usermane...I'm too confused. can anyone explain?
Colette
The username is always fmanga. The password is a season that is not fall, winter, or spring sleep.gif
SJC
QUOTE(Summoner Colette @ May 15 2006, 04:20 PM) [snapback]395734[/snapback]

The username is always fmanga. The password is a season that is not fall, winter, or spring sleep.gif

Oh...THANKYOU!! biggrin.gif
Singhay
I like kimbley's role. Its more than a mere mad bomber.

*thinks back to when I was 7*
War is cool!

The Alchemists look so cool but geez its so cruel what they're doing. Armstrong just looks so... dead.
GS4Life
Ouch, this chapter pretty deep. I feel really bad for Riza,Roy,Armstrong,Hughes, all the Ishbalans that are trying escape from the military rather than fighting, yet they end up getting killed anyways. Envy started this whole thing huh? Well I hope his death is ten times more painful than I wanted it to be in the first place. Roy kept talking about killer eyes but him,Hughes,Armstrong, and Riza just look more like in a miserable survival mode to me as opposed to oh say Kimbley or Envy.

On another note I can't believe that chapter 60 will mark FMA's 5th year anniversary(If the earlier chapter's before 45 didn't come out monthly then my math is screwed up but I didn't finish reading up to chapter 44 so I've only been waiting for chapter 46 and up) but yeesh I've been a fan for around two years now and it feels like I've been a fan FMA for almost as long as I've been a fan of WWE for a almost whopping eight years now.(well that's about half of my life so it's whopping for me.)
Wyrd_Raven
Did anyone notice how the tatoos on Scar's Brother's arms are different colors? Right arm is black, and the left is white.

curious. VERY curious.
MonsterEnvy
It's thought that the black arm's tattoo which Scar now has (though on the other side) is for destruction and the white arm's tattoo is for creation.

It hasn't really been confirmed at all though, just speculation.

~Edit~

After reviewing it (I'm seeing if there's enough information there to do my other arm like Scar's brother's tongue.gif... i'm obsessive.) I noticed that the middle bit with the three thick lines, words, and swirly things is the same, there's a bit that's whitish and in the same place as what the anime called the Grand Arcanum on the top, and what looks like a complex transmutation circle on the bottom, near the rist.

Judging from this, I think that the tattoo has two major functional parts, which are joined together in different ways by the central band. The top is the general function of the circle- in Scar's, it would represent the black deconstruction. It shows the design unraveling and putting force into the midband. Then, the midband 'refines' the energy, using the latin to describe it's purpose, in this case voicing God's will (I suspect that the latin on the other one would say something like 'doing God's work,' as a counterpart, and have something about Eve in it.

Finally, the energy is moved into the last two bands of the tattoo- the actual transmutation circle. This circle is the actual deconstructor- that's apparent by it's simplicity.

On Scar's brother's white arm, the top tattoo's energy is refined by the band again, quite possibly in a different way, , and is then used through the highly complex circle on the back of his wrist. I would guess that there is at least one other circle on his arm that we haven't been able to see simply because of the angle.

Perhaps the band is the 'ougonjustsu' that combines the rentanjutsu of the grand arcanum/white spiky things and the transmutations circles? I have no idea. Make of it what you will.
Animeoldtimer
QUOTE(Sannom @ May 14 2006, 09:58 AM) [snapback]395109[/snapback]

Your explication is quite good, but personnaly I make a distinction between State Alchemists :
--- the ones, like Ed and Tucker, that are a part of the military but are not "soldiers", they don't wear the military uniform and don't have an "official" place in the Army.
--- the ones, like Mustang, Armstrong and apparently Kimbley, that are really a part of the military and wear the uniform.

Hasn't Scar made a distinction between those who destroy and those who create? Perhaps because Tucker and Ed are ones who create, they don't were the uniforms. Is this a possibility?
Sannom
I don't think. Those who create are the Alchemists generally speaking : even if State Alchemists often use their powers to destroy, they consist in "creating" somethings : flames, weapons, etc. The only "destructor" is Scar, because his power is the power of desintegration (he can even destroy human beings : a kind of "human" transmutation, no?).
Nepharski
QUOTE(Sannom @ May 16 2006, 01:12 PM) [snapback]396251[/snapback]

I don't think. Those who create are the Alchemists generally speaking : even if State Alchemists often use their powers to destroy, they consist in "creating" somethings : flames, weapons, etc. The only "destructor" is Scar, because his power is the power of desintegration (he can even destroy human beings : a kind of "human" transmutation, no?).

"You must tear down! Creation and destruction! They are two sides of the same coin! The law that governs the cosmos." - Alex Louis Armstrong
MonsterEnvy
QUOTE(Nepharski @ May 16 2006, 08:19 PM) [snapback]396341[/snapback]

QUOTE(Sannom @ May 16 2006, 01:12 PM) [snapback]396251[/snapback]

"You must tear down! Creation and destruction! They are two sides of the same coin! The law that governs the cosmos. (take shirt off, flex)" - Alex Louis Armstrong

^^Edited.

oh, incidentally, I was wrong. Scar's arm and his brother's black arm are both on the same side. Interesting...
Sensenic
QUOTE(MonsterEnvy @ May 12 2006, 12:39 AM) [snapback]393899[/snapback]

The excercise was useful though. I noticed a lot more about the chapter... especially about Roy and Hughes. Roy makes an amusing comment... in a sick, twisted way.

"It's a common pattern in novels, guys who talk happily about their families or lovers in the battlefield, have a high chance of dying"
sad.gif
Gotta love tho' how Arakawa sensei points out her own use of a "common pattern" (i.e. a stereotype). biggrin.gif
QUOTE(simargl @ May 12 2006, 05:59 AM) [snapback]394051[/snapback]

The whole "Warrior Priest" thing is confusing the heck out of me. On one hand, we have Scar saying that alchemy is totally forbidden, and on the other hand, we have ScarBro saying alchemy can make the world a better place.

I would love to know how ScarBro managed to convince the people of Ishval not only to use alchemy, but to consider it holy. Remember the Ishvalians at the Xerxes ruins? I'm pretty sure they were ScarBro's chapter 58 groupies.

Ditto. I'm also very curious about this topic. The mention they got in this chapter means Arakawa sensei didn't forget... that's a hard situation she got herself into.

But as a by now completely biased fan, I have faith happy.gif
QUOTE(Ant @ May 12 2006, 06:30 AM) [snapback]394061[/snapback]

Since this chapter was a wider look at Ishval (as opposed to the perspectives of Riza and Marcoh, since they are the ones engaging in "Ishval" conversations), I'm interested to see what all Ed is being told by Riza, and Scar by Marcoh.

Mmm, no. This whole Ishvar thing is just a "general" FB parting from the fact that many characters are now remembering it (not Only Riza and Marcoh, I guess Scar is also telling his side of the story to M., Knox is telling Al and, as we were shown on the last panels before the FB, Mustang and Armstrong are reviving it all alone, poor guys sad.gif )

- On the mistake findings: x_x (Barry and Slicer, Reika's "eye of hawk" wink.gif ) Oh my... gotta look at them more carefully, but this is getting ugly...

*looks*

Oh my, Comanche's hands! x_x Roy’s glove on page 21! Well, I believe those 2 are “just” little lapsus... (specially about Roy’s glove, since it’s correct in the rest of the chapter). There have been worse ones… but not in this manga tho’ till now sad.gif.
QUOTE(Sannom @ May 14 2006, 03:58 PM) [snapback]395109[/snapback]

And the last ones don't seem to be as high ranked as the first ones : Armstrong has taken a rank since Ishbal war and he is actually a Major : so he was below this rank before. I think that when a State Alchemist become a part of the military, they start with an official rank lower than Major.

No, well, about Armstrong it’s just that he didn’t rank up (remember what Bradley told him in the Devil’s Nest), because he’s too much of a “good guy”. happy.gif He’s a good alchemist but not a good military officer happy.gif
QUOTE(MonsterEnvy @ May 14 2006, 05:21 PM) [snapback]395129[/snapback]

That's debatable. He hasn't been given a title, and is referred to as 'Doctor Marcoh' (the kanji is medical, not as in degree, btw) so I'm not totally sure. It's possible that he's like Anime!Tucker, and alchemist who isn't officially acknowledged by the military but just works there. However, it's just as possible that he is the 'Crystal Alchemist' again, and he simply hasn't been named as such. There's no real evidence for either point of view.

I’d think that if he was a SA, his title would have appeared in his short description in the PGB2, as it did in the case of all the other State Alchemist, including Kimbley, whose “second name” hadn’t appeared in the manga till this very same chapter.

@simargl: I believe he’s like Knox, a military doctor. Him being an alchemist (and a very good one at that) might be “classified”, just like Knox knew Marcoh but didn’t know sh*t about his “research”.
But it might be as you say, yes.
QUOTE(Sannom @ May 16 2006, 10:12 PM) [snapback]396251[/snapback]

I don't think.

Good for you.} ( n_n)-b

tongue.gif

Now, seriously:
QUOTE(Sannom @ May 16 2006, 10:12 PM) [snapback]396251[/snapback]
Those who create are the Alchemists generally speaking : even if State Alchemists often use their powers to destroy, they consist in "creating" somethings : flames, weapons, etc. The only "destructor" is Scar, because his power is the power of desintegration (he can even destroy human beings : a kind of "human" transmutation, no?).

I agree with you. All alchemists (that we’ve seen so far) do the full cicle: understanding, destruction (or rather, disintegration, decomposition) and creation. Whether the thing they create does destroy things afterwards or not, is another thing.
So far, only Scar and Ed and Daddy (when they copied him) have stopped at the second stage and just destroy, disintegrate, decompose.
QUOTE(MonsterEnvy @ May 17 2006, 02:25 AM) [snapback]396343[/snapback]

^^Edited.

LOL.
QUOTE(MonsterEnvy @ May 17 2006, 02:25 AM) [snapback]396343[/snapback]

oh, incidentally, I was wrong. Scar's arm and his brother's black arm are both on the same side. Interesting...

Why, yes they are... didn't anyone tell you (I recall reading it, but didn't reply dunno why happy.gif Maybe to make sure first, and then I forgot tongue.gif)

PS: Yay, Wallposting! \( ^o^)/
Sensenic
QUOTE(MonsterEnvy @ May 15 2006, 08:59 PM) [snapback]395665[/snapback]

Well, while it was nice to have a ZOMGFTA chapter, I think that it was overtranslated a teense. The screams could have been left as hiragana, which probably would have made the release quicker...

Agreed.

But it was worse when they changed Gluttony's "Itadakimasu" for "I'm digging in", IMHO.

Anyway, I understand it is to make it more comprehensible to everyone. Go, ZOMGFTA, go!
Colette
Hey, I have an unrelated question...Why does everyone like Kimbley?

I mean, I felt terrible for Armstrong when Kimbley killed those Ishbalans. Sure, his power is cool, but that's about it for me.

No offense or anything.
Sannom
No, well, about Armstrong it’s just that he didn’t rank up (remember what Bradley told him in the Devil’s Nest), because he’s too much of a “good guy”. happy.gif He’s a good alchemist but not a good military officer happy.gif

Dont worry, I know about it... but I'm pretty sure that he didn't have the rank of Major during the war (just one rank below I think), so that means that a State Alchemist don't start a carreer in the military directly at the rank of Major.
Wyrd_Raven
QUOTE(Summoner Colette @ May 17 2006, 08:15 AM) [snapback]396578[/snapback]

I mean, I felt terrible for Armstrong when Kimbley killed those Ishbalans. Sure, his power is cool, but that's about it for me.

No offense or anything.

Mostly because since he was introduced, Arakawa has not used Kimbley at all in the "present" of the manga. Therefore the flashblack is sort of a Kimbley Showtime.
Sikiu-San
I liked this chapter but its just the calm before the storm really XD AND!! there was a nice half of a page of kimbley ^OOO^ I squeed and huged my moniter XD <3 Yeah yeah i know alot of you are tired of hearing about him but kimbley is one of thoes characters where we dont know all of what happend to him in the past, why he enjoys killing etc.. etc.. Also think about what kimbley said after he killed the Isbalins(sp sorry >> ) if he saw armtrong set them free who else might if saw?

Riza and Roy reunite on the battlefield =O does anyone know how many years passed from when Roys sensei/Rizas dad flipped out and died to the war now =O? couldnt of been that long <<

Hughes cracks me up everytime XD i keep forgetitng he is dead now @_x; HAHAH XD thats right hughes is dead XD;; Kinda funny how he seems he is and isnt >> anyone else feel like that?

Something tells me Wrinry's parents might be killed in the next chapter or Arakawa might drag it out again =O
Animeoldtimer
I don't like him much either. Mainly because he is a human that seems to get a thrill out of doing evil things. Although the others are also killing they at least seem to have a conscience.
Sannom
Yeah yeah i know alot of you are tired of hearing about him but kimbley is one of thoes characters where we dont know all of what happend to him in the past, why he enjoys killing etc..

The problem is that we should'nt even know that he enjoys senseless killings in the manga, after all we've seen nothing about him... we just know that he kills Ishbalans without an hesitation, but so is Mustang as far as we can see biggrin.gif
Ant
QUOTE(Sannom @ May 17 2006, 02:31 PM) [snapback]396722[/snapback]

The problem is that we should'nt even know that he enjoys senseless killings in the manga, after all we've seen nothing about him... we just know that he kills Ishbalans without an hesitation, but so is Mustang as far as we can see biggrin.gif

According to the Blue Gaiden, Mustang does not enjoy senseless killing.
Sannom

Ah, there is a misunderstanding here : I didn't mean that Mustang enjoyed senseless killings. I just said that as far as we know, Kimblee is not crazier than Mustang in the manga. The fact that Kimblee loves killings is in the animé. And even if his manga counterpart will certainly be the same, we just don't "know" yet, that's all what I meant.
Tombow
^^ Well, if I may also add MHO as someone who sometimes does translations, often it's not just one way to translate it, and many choices are available, each having slightly different nuances/tones/meanings, but you HAVE TO chose one, even knowing some people may or may not agree with the choice. Yeah, sometimes it almost feels like it's no-win situation, but you have to get it done, and move on. It's cirtainly not an easy task, and I'm awfully awfully grateful for all the work they do/done for us. happy.gif
Sensenic
QUOTE(Tombow @ May 18 2006, 09:56 AM) [snapback]397048[/snapback]

^^ Well, if I may also add MHO as someone who sometimes does translations, often it's not just one way to translate it, and many choices are available, each having slightly different nuances/tones/meanings, but you HAVE TO chose one, even knowing some people may or may not agree with the choice. Yeah, sometimes it almost feels like it's no-win situation, but you have to get it done, and move on. It's cirtainly not an easy task, and I'm awfully awfully grateful for all the work they do/done for us. happy.gif

Hey, don't get me wrong, I know all that. That's the reason why I go to the original version as long as I can, and the reason why I'm studying Japanese right now happy.gif

And I am really grateful for the scanlation too, of that do have no doubt.
It's just that I'm quite picky... happy.gifU
Sensenic
QUOTE(Summoner Colette @ May 17 2006, 02:15 PM) [snapback]396578[/snapback]

No offense or anything.

No Offense?! How do you expect me to not getting offended after saying such @#$%&@#$%&....

Nah, I don't like him either, for now, also for what he did (as Sannom says, we don't know him enough, that's true).
QUOTE(Sannom @ May 17 2006, 05:58 PM) [snapback]396654[/snapback]

Dont worry, I know about it... but I'm pretty sure that he didn't have the rank of Major during the war (just one rank below I think), so that means that a State Alchemist don't start a carreer in the military directly at the rank of Major.

huh.gif ? But ain't that a fact? Maria Ross said that all State Alchemists start with a grade equivalent to that of a major, and it was confirmed by Mustang himself in this very same chapter. So Armstrong IS (should be) a major....

Whether they are really treated as such or not (also, as Mustang says in this chapter) is another thing... But, officially, majors they are.
QUOTE(Sannom @ May 18 2006, 08:52 AM) [snapback]397035[/snapback]

Ah, there is a misunderstanding here : I didn't mean that Mustang enjoyed senseless killings. I just said that as far as we know, Kimblee is not crazier than Mustang in the manga. The fact that Kimblee loves killings is in the animé. And even if his manga counterpart will certainly be the same, we just don't "know" yet, that's all what I meant.

I understand you, and I agree.

I must add, tho', that we know he is in jail now, and he's called "Mad Bomber"... Manga facts, both of them. And that has to be for a reason... So I guess he will end up being more or less the psycho he was in the anime. And if I'm wrong, yay! smile.gif

It is hard to take the anime out of the head when it's about common characters... dammit! How that fucked up my first read of the manga....
Sensenic
Been thinkin' a little about the mistakes.
QUOTE(Ant @ May 13 2006, 05:36 AM) [snapback]394378[/snapback]

Yeah, according to the timeline, Barry committed his last murder in 1911 and the Slicer brothers weren't executed until 1912. As has already been pointed out, this was at least 3 to 4 years after Marcoh should have been making the stones for use in Ishval, yet both of them were apparently present. The only mitigating argument would be to say, I guess, that those pieces of armor were at that time inhabited by different souls who had, in the meantime, been rejected by said armor. The notion that blood-seal armor existence is tenuous at best is pointed out by various characters throughout the manga, if I recall correctly most notably in response to either or both Greed/Ling, who were curious about such an existence as a means to attain immortality.

On this, I add another possibility: Remember first comes the manga, and then the PGBooks, which are (I believe) not directly done by Arakawa sensei herself (if it's the case, that's one helluva job... u_u) but just "assisted" by her, as manga merchandising.
I mean, I take the PGB2 as the next best thing for info after the manga, BUT if the manga contradicts the Book, I'll go with the manga (like the famous Lin/Ling case)... So here, I wouldn't call it that much a mistake as an apparent contradiction, in which case, I'd go with the manga until proven wrong.

Now, if in the manga dates were given (I know they were about Barry but can't remember about Ishval annihilation), and they were certainly contradicting... then it's another whole story. sleep.gif If that's the case, I hope it's as you say, but, from the way they're shown and stuff (and how the knife was rather Barry's more than the armor's, I believe), I'd say it is a mistake.

Hope I'm wrong tho'.

And noticed sth about...
QUOTE(Sensenic @ May 17 2006, 09:55 AM) [snapback]396486[/snapback]

*looks*

Oh my, Comanche's hands! x_x Roy’s glove on page 21! Well, I believe those 2 are “just” little lapsus... (specially about Roy’s glove, since it’s correct in the rest of the chapter). There have been worse ones… but not in this manga tho’ till now sad.gif.

(Self-quoting, yay! sleep.gifU)

The fact they're both in page 21 (if some of you already said it, I'm sorry /(;u_u) I didn't notice at first, stupid me)... Anyway, I guess it means this was probably just an inking problem (specially since there's nothing wrong with Roy's gloves in the rest)... Dunno, maybe whoever did the ink, left the circles for the end, as they're quite hard, and eventually forgot. Or sth like that. Just like they forgot the chapter title on those 2 others (55 and dunno the other one).
Seeing it is like this, I take out a lot of importance of it... And I also think it'll just be fixed in the tankoubon release.
Else, yes, it'll be quite the mistake... ù_ú
MonsterEnvy
Meow, a lot of stop happened.

Double posting! Bad Sensenic.
QUOTE('Summoner Collette')

Because his ponytail is uber-sexy.

It's likely that he's not as crazy about killing as he was in the anime, but it's only that he doesn't mind it, and is blamed for the whole massacre to take the responsibility for destroying Ishbal from the whole military.

I do want to see how he transmutes, and know what he's really doing. It looks disturbingly like Mustang's alchemy... that would be a disappointment.
Nepharski
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Kimbley's "Madness" is revealed as shell-shock. A man is different once he's been in war. Perhaps his delerium is simply how his now shattered mind coped with the bullets and the bombs and everything. Some people go mad.

"War is all Hell." - General Sherman
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.