Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hikikomori
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Open Talk > Debate District
Thievesvinegar

Hikikomori is social problem in Japan in which teens choose to withdrawl completely from school, family and friends and hole up in a room. Seems like hiberation gone awry.

This condition has resulted in a couple of gory criminal acts, but are the social influences in committing such an act justifiable? It seems like the japs are being too lenient on those kids. There is so much pressure to be normal and successful that the idea of dealing with an outcast or someone different is forgotten and leaves them defenseless.
ἀρχή
I've never heard of this. Very interesting. The feeling to withdraw is probably fairly universal, but the mechanisms available are not. In the US, there are many ways to withdraw and is fairly socially acceptable.
Popogeejo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hikikomori
linkage for those who, like me, have no idea what this is.

Sounds curious.
asunder
To the original poster -> Don't use the word japs.

a crime is a crime. To me there there should be no mercy based on a 'social' disorder.
ἀρχή
But is this a social disorder that society created? If the culture is a key trigger to this problem, then the culture needs to accept that whatever they do to "punish" behaviors that result from this are a result of thier own actions.

Couldn't there be a cultural change that would make it less likely that this type of condition does not occur?
Le Monkey
People shrinking in withing themselves from my exsperience has been from no self confidence or things of simmalare effect.
And short of removing the way people think about Beauty and the "Proper" self image then it will always happen IMO.

Thievesvinegar
asu - why can't a jap use the word jap?

arche, I don't know if we can pinpoint only culture. And if we do, doesn't that excuse the individual from commiting these actions, or relieve some of the burden? Every individual is subject to culture, but it's in the choice to overcome it.
asunder
QUOTE(Thievesvinegar @ May 13 2006, 12:15 AM) [snapback]394465[/snapback]

asu - why can't a jap use the word jap?

arche, I don't know if we can pinpoint only culture. And if we do, doesn't that excuse the individual from commiting these actions, or relieve some of the burden? Every individual is subject to culture, but it's in the choice to overcome it.

i'm assuming you know what the malious usage of the word 'jap' is?
MeLRizA
heard it for the first time too... nevertheless, i believe everyone is unique and there is no need to shun away from the society just because "abnormal-ism"...
ἀρχή
QUOTE(Thievesvinegar @ May 13 2006, 03:15 AM) [snapback]394465[/snapback]

In a sense, it can be fairly well argued that many current mental disorders although not primarily caused by soical factors are seriously triggered by social factors. There is no way to get in the head of each person. I think the balance, however, is to push the social order by exposing things like this in a serious way.

We do all need to be careful about allowing "justification" defenses because of this, however. There need to be mechanisms in society to help cut out this defense. In the US, there are so many opportunities for help for people that it should become even harder for someone to use a justification defense as people have little excuse for not seeking help here.
Thievesvinegar
Arche, seeking help is different from getting help. You sais that there has to be "mechanisms in society to help cut out this defense" what other mechanisms are there? Take for example, the mentally challenged, or better, juveniles being charged of violent crimes, under what standards can they be allowed to be transfered and treated as adults or be sent to juvie? Assume that both systems serve their inital purpose. So it beocmes a matter of responsibility, is it possible to pinpoint adequately?

asu
http://www.rsdb.org/?2
Knock yourself out. Words only mean something if you allow it to. You should of learned this as a kid, it's all about sticks and stones.
asunder
QUOTE(Thievesvinegar @ May 14 2006, 08:11 PM) [snapback]395420[/snapback]

asu
http://www.rsdb.org/?2
Knock yourself out. Words only mean something if you allow it to. You should of learned this as a kid, it's all about sticks and stones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jap

I can link websites too. smile.gif

You're posting this on a forum where some people won't know the hateful meaning and will assume it's okay to use that....which will no doubt offend someone else.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
I saw a really interesting article about this not long ago and now I can't find it. sad.gif

At any rate, the big difference between this and say the American man who still lives in his moms basement seems to be the willingness of the Japanese parents to put up with this. True, I'm sure there are quite a few American parents have the overgrown brat still living with them and terrorizing them but from what I've read the Japanese parents seem to put up with much more and thus allow their children to completely withdraw from society, instead the kids just going to work or school and then holeing themselves up in their room once they return home.

Also there seems to be a don't ask don't tell mentality with it where parents will not seek help and will instead put up with their kids antics. I'm sure it's shameful to have your child completely detach him/herself from the rest of the world instead of them going out and making their parents proud. Not something they want advertised I'm sure.
Thievesvinegar
asu. You're giving me too much credit, that I have that much control over the actions of others.

And wikipedia lies.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.