Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Da Vinci Code
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Open Talk > Debate District
Le Monkey
Well Im shure most of you have read this, if not then you should, Its a good book.
I finaly got round to reading it and I really liked it.

Anyone see it as a fact book?
Anyone see it as a threat to their religion?
Anyone like it just for its fiction rather than the non-fiction?
Discuss
Popogeejo
I think it's over hyped crap.
The old brotherhood Dan Brown says in based on fact has been proven to be an elaborate hoax by the guy who made it. Alot of it is based of only half truths and down right fiction.
It poses no threat to religion which is a pitty and is given far to much attention.

So...
Anyone see it as a fact book? No.
Anyone see it as a threat to their religion? No.
Anyone like it just for its fiction rather than the non-fiction? Well seeing as it is fiction it can't be condidered non-fiction so therefore you can only like it for fiction.

Dan Brown is a hack who was smiled on by hype.

Le Monkey
ha ha, well yes it is only Fiction, but some people see it as something like a true as true FACT book, so that’s why I didn’t pot it in as I don’t like to offend/annoy people without due cause.. XD

But I would like to say I liked the book as a fiction book, it was IMO well written, interesting and intriguing.
Popogeejo
I wouldn't be nearly as anooyed with it if he hadn't said alot of it was fact when it plainly wasn't. Alot of people I knew who read the book think they're intectual becaue they read it.(I went to a crappy school where "the cat in the Hat" is considered difficult rolleyes.gif )
Le Monkey
Well have you reserched the facts from the book that you see as false to prove his misconseption so you can prove him right, or was that a supposition again?

I went to a crappy school where "the cat in the Hat" is considered difficult

It shows wink.gif tongue.gif
Popogeejo
Aswell as other things I watched this;
http://www.channel4.com/culture/microsites.../da_vinci_code/

It shows

Nut's to you! I iz proppa intectual. tongue.gif
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(popogeejo @ May 9 2006, 10:12 AM) [snapback]392829[/snapback]

I wouldn't be nearly as anooyed with it if he hadn't said alot of it was fact when it plainly wasn't.

Wait, when did he make any such claim?
asunder
this is in the debate district too?

why isn't cosplayin here? eh? eh?!
Popogeejo
QUOTE(Void @ May 9 2006, 07:04 PM) [snapback]392875[/snapback]

QUOTE(popogeejo @ May 9 2006, 10:12 AM) [snapback]392829[/snapback]

I wouldn't be nearly as anoyed with it if he hadn't said alot of it was fact when it plainly wasn't.

Wait, when did he make any such claim?

At the start of the book before the story he says the the Priory of Sion is a real organisation. It isn't. He's repeated his statment in several interviews.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
QUOTE(asu @ May 9 2006, 11:18 AM) [snapback]392880[/snapback]

this is in the debate district too?

why isn't cosplayin here? eh? eh?!

Because only some cosplay is debateable. tongue.gif
Chiyo
Well they are trying to ban its aren't they? Fear that it'll make people question the church and all that. You have to be an idiot though if you would change your opinion that easily.
Carnal Malefactor
The true believer will face up to any challenges to his faith, not shrink away from them and try to blot them out.
Popogeejo
QUOTE(Chiyo)
Well they are trying to ban its aren't they? Fear that it'll make people question the church and all that. You have to be an idiot though if you would change your opinion that easily.

I haven't heard of any banning attempts. I know they tried it with Northern Lights(The "His dark materials series") ut I don't think the Church would try that again just yet.
Sharingan Serpent
I heard my parents talking about the ban, the Church are just trying to ban it as usual...I mean it's really our decision what we believe in... not theirs
ἀρχή
readers are irresponsible and tend to believe facts that they know are false if they are wrapped up in a nice "story"

I'm sure there are people who really believe in the idea of the Holy Grail being the bloodline of Jesus because of this book (as well as its predecessors). The whole idea of fixing the reference of the holy grail to a bloodline is historically weak.

Again, people in general are irresponsible regarding what they will and will not believe and what they allow to influence their beliefs.
Carnal Malefactor
Still, it made you take a second look at The Last Supper, didn't it?
ἀρχή
QUOTE(Void @ May 9 2006, 09:10 PM) [snapback]393133[/snapback]

Still, it made you take a second look at The Last Supper, didn't it?

Actually it's more of an example of how the power of suggestion can be very influential in your interpretive process. If you do not know about DaVinci's style of presenting an image like that, you could be convinced that Da Vinci expressed something he may never have intended.
Fresh_Coffee
I really liked the book. I thought it was interesting, I stayed up until 1:00 am until I finally finished it. Though, I kinda though the ending was too perfect for my taste.. it seemed kinda too easy. I think I was expecting more. =T

[Spoiler] How Sophie or was it Sophia? XD I can't remember, found her family seemed way too perfect to me. And how Langdon and her kissed.. that was just kinda tacky for me. [/spoiler]
Chiyo
Well the film is really getting hyped, this town is going to be ugly when it comes out. Well then again it may not, but I know that church in the last scenes has had a boom in visitors thanks to the book alone. The Cathedral here has nothing to do with the book, its all the film.
Le Monkey
Well all increases in numbers to veiwings of things like that are good aslong as they are for a good reason, ^^.

And yes I did go and look again at the paintings mentioned.. XD
animefreak_zzz
biggrin.gif same here...as soon as i finished the book..
i went to look at those paintings mentioned..
the 2nd look did make the book rather convincing..haha
but after that..i tried his other books..and found angels and demons equally interesting.. laugh.gif

still..i can't wait for the movie to be released in my country though..
one more week..!! laugh.gif
elalquimistafilosofal
QUOTE(Slashrose1010 @ May 18 2006, 07:27 PM) [snapback]397406[/snapback]

People's skin is too thin, and religious radicals are just silly.

I don't believe that is fair. I don't think it is written just for atheists and has all of these strong anti-Catholic/Christian themes. It may have some, but religious radicals are treating it like Dan Brown is saying his books are pure fact and that the church is wrong and bad. That is like saying anyone who has written a conspiracy novel on the government doing unethical things behind curtains is against the givernment.

If i had to pick a forumer as a "kindred spirit" I suppose it would be Celes, but she has abandoned all for Anshi *cough* dry.gif

no, I am not defending to anybody, nor saying that it is specifically for them.

in addition those “supposed found books” are not written by the true apostles is some test.

no, because they were found in the Nile, those books are of such competing of Jesus therefore is pure…bullshit

in any case hopefully that as a result of this does not form problem, is what I think.
MonsterEnvy
To reawaken this topic a bit... It's not really necessary to create a new thread for the movie, meh? I'm going to go and see it when it opens tomorrow, but I know that in some of your varied time zones it's already playing (for a while now in china!) and others, like Popogeejo have already seen it.

What are your opinions?

I've heard that it was really somewhat poorly done, but I don't know how much of that is just the critics blithering.

As for the book, my opinion is that it gives a lot of people a feeling of bein 'intellectuals' just beccause they're reading a book about history while keeping their attention by throwing in action bits. However, it was nice that it brought an undersupported theory into the public eye, though it did represent a lot of itself as pure, undisputed fact, whereas a lot of it is really conjecture based on and inference from a specualtion about a fragment of a parchment. It isn't all that factual... it's just another interpretation of events.

Symbology is grossly misused at some points also.
elalquimistafilosofal
that book is horrible, all ithat is wrote on that book is lies dry.gif dry.gif
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(elalquimistafilosofal @ May 18 2006, 08:47 PM) [snapback]397421[/snapback]

I don't believe that is fair. I don't think it is written just for atheists and has all of these strong anti-Catholic/Christian themes. It may have some, but religious radicals are treating it like Dan Brown is saying his books are pure fact and that the church is wrong and bad. That is like saying anyone who has written a conspiracy novel on the government doing unethical things behind curtains is against the givernment.

If i had to pick a forumer as a "kindred spirit" I suppose it would be Celes, but she has abandoned all for Anshi *cough* dry.gif

in addition those “supposed found books” are not written by the true apostles is some test.

no, because they were found in the Nile, those books are of such competing of Jesus therefore is pure…bullshit

in any case hopefully that as a result of this does not form problem, is what I think.

...it's like someone ran English text through babelfish twice... I have no idea what the hell he's saying...
quiddityofquid
I'm going to see the movie tomorrow too! (Imagine that tongue.gif )

I thought the book was a fun read but didn't take it as facts. The fact that the author apparently believed all of the ideas in his book is odd, but it shouldn't detract from the book itself as a novel. Some of the ideas seemed a bit ridiculous, but it was still amusing for what time it took to read it. I didn't think it was all that amazing though.

As to the movie, I heard it was going to be bad, but then I've heard a lot of other movies were 'terrible,' and really liked them. Plus it has Tom Hanks! Which doesn't make a differnce for the basic quality, but it is a plus.
elalquimistafilosofal
QUOTE(Void @ May 18 2006, 08:01 PM) [snapback]397432[/snapback]

QUOTE(elalquimistafilosofal @ May 18 2006, 08:47 PM) [snapback]397421[/snapback]

...it's like someone ran English text through babelfish twice... I have no idea what the hell he's saying...

it is nothing important...sorry for the ran english i was hurry

Carnal Malefactor
Are you still in a hurry? rolleyes.gif
asunder
QUOTE(Void @ May 18 2006, 06:41 PM) [snapback]397488[/snapback]

hey some people might have IBS or something similar....they might constantly be 'in a hurry'
Carnal Malefactor
laugh.gif

Okay, let's get back on topic...
elalquimistafilosofal
QUOTE(Void @ May 18 2006, 08:41 PM) [snapback]397488[/snapback]

no, i´m listenig music right now...and i have peace (a lil bit but...)
Quistis88
All right, no more spam now, kids. biggrin.gif

I have read the book, and I intend to see the movie. Personally, I enjoyed the book to some extent. I do like mysteries, and that aspect appealed to me. However, that same aspect also made everything almost too predictable in some cases. You know it's predictable when you figure out a puzzle before the characters do. Then again, maybe it was supposed to be dramatically ironic like that. Who knows?

As for the "factual" elements, I admire Brown's ability to think of something so conspiratorial, and being able to fabricate a general theme out of all these little ideas. The story is fiction, obviously, but the rest of the book is filled with details about Da Vinci's artwork and descriptions of real-life places. I think the trouble starts when people are absorbed into all the actual "factual" things (location, artifacts, etc.), and begin to believe that the rest of the "facts" must be true as well.

Yeah, I don't know where I'm going with this, but all I know is that I see the book merely as something entertaining. Sure, the possibilities are fun/intriguing to dwell on, but I wouldn't think too much past them.
MeLRizA
*I don't mean to spam here for talking about the movie instead of the book*

I skipped morning class and watched the movie today (what for coming to school for an hour of crappy lecture and wait 4 hours for the next one?).. biggrin.gif Anyway, the movie was at 11a.m., and the cinema was not crowded.
The movie was great I'd say. The camera movements were really good, it wraps up the ENTIRE, magnificent setting of every scene perfectly. Speaking about the settings of the movie, I'm sure ancient artefact lover would LOVE them XD.
Storywise, I didn't read the book before watching the movie. The story was pretty cool, I was so hooked to those codes. Overall, the story was perfect smile.gif . I wonder how did Brown get to know all these codes and the whole history about Jesus and Christianity. The story was a fiction, isn't it? After watching the movie, it seems kind of true

For those who have watched the movie, I wanna know if you have noticed the old sister in the church was it Templar Church?. In the middle of the movie, Silas smashed her head with the stone tablet he found at the church right? What happened to her in the end? Did she die? I was pretty sure the movie did not tell me this.. unsure.gif
I think "Silas" and "Teabing" are insane idiots..
Popogeejo
Ok the best lines in the film which cracked me up (as well as I can recall them);
I am the direct decendent of Jesus!

We need to get to a Library!
phoenix dying
Despite the various efforts of multiple people, I have yet to read this book for some odd reason. Yet I have read the 'prequel' Angles & Demons. Which did peak my intrest, but I haven't gotten around to read da vinci... There makeing such a big deal out of this book and now movie, I don't think its needed.

[edit]poop; i think its 'need to get to a library...
Popogeejo
My post shall fixed now! And it's "Prequal" not Prequil IIRC.
asunder
QUOTE(popogeejo @ May 19 2006, 03:52 PM) [snapback]397884[/snapback]

My post shall fixed now! And it's "Prequal" not Prequil IIRC.

prequel?
MonsterEnvy
...yes. Prequel.

LEARN TO SPELL.

Anyways, I just got back from seeing it. I liked it, but I think that anyone who hadn't read the book would be completely left in the dust. Also, it felt pretty slow paced. Mainly, the best reason to see it is as a companion to the book- it illustrates all of the scenes and artwork quite nicely. It really lets one get a good idea of what they're actually talking about in most of the book wihtout having to endlessly image search on Google.

I see why people have been saying that it wasn't a great movie though. I did like how it sticks to the book so well, and how it represented the ending and various scenes. It was nice, though a bit pathetic in parts. Sophie Neveu also struck me as being the classic Anti-Mary-Sue: instead of the author surrogate, the reader surrogate. She was completely clueless and only useful to ask stupid questions so that people who haven't read the book would get a clue as to what's going on, and to say stupid things, like ZOMG I CAN'T WALK ON WATER! MAYBE I CAN TURN IT INTO WINE! She also had that pathetic little 'victorious hero swaggerwalk at the end which I find particularly irksome outside of Indiana Jones and James Bond.

What is without fault, however, is the acting. All of the main characters played their parts well, especially Ian McKellen as Leigh Teabing. He did a wonderful job. Sophie and Langdon weren't quite so good, but only because Tom Hanks and the other one didn't really have roles that allowed them to shine in the right ways.

Well, overall, it was nice.
quiddityofquid
Yes, I would say definately read the book before watching the movie... It wouldn't make a whole lot of sense otherwise.

I think the main problem with the movie was that they tried to put in all these things that were in the book, without having the time to explain them. Some things books do you really can't do in movies, and it's best to just take them out when you can. Little details that made the book interesting just make the movie drag a bit, and make even less sense.

They also leaned too much on digital effects. It's all very well to see words lighting up and planets moving around and glowing, but it can't be used to entirely make the scene. It's nice scenery, but it should be the actors creating the drama, not computer generated things. The actors just had to stand there and stare at things that didn't exist for half the movie.

Flashbacks! Too many flashbacks, not enough explanation. Especially the one about Silas. In the book I found Silas to be an interesting character, especially with his background. In the movie however, his flasback was a random flip-through of images, which would have made no sense if it weren't for the book explanation. I mean, I almost didn't understand any of it, and I've read the book!

Despite all that, I enjoyed the movie, and I think it's worth seeing, but only if you've read the book... It did have it's good moments, and overall it wasn't too bad... What I said before was probably mostly just me being picky.

Oh, and @ME, I rather like the part where she tried to walk on water. It was possibly the only piece of humor she gave to the film.
kojirou
It's kinda hard to follow the movie if you haven't read the book. Most stuff there really doesn't stick to the original intention of the book. For example, the part where the book narrates the story of Silas, and how he got to meet Aringarosa. The part where he was in the prison was missing, as well as the destruction of the prison. Also, Silas was NOT religious when he was still inside the prison.

Some parts in the original flow of the story was also altered in the movie, as in the case of the correspondence between Bezu Fache and Aringarosa.

The book's story is superb, but having read the Angels and Demons novel also by Dan Brown, I can say that the two stories have many similarities. Both of them are good, though.

Dan Brown must have spent lots of time for his research on the background of the church and other matters connected to it, including Opus Dei, the Templars, and the Priory of Sion.

However, many people claim that the 'facts' (which is written at the beginning of the book) that Dan Brown wants the readers to believe, are really products of false records. I have watched some of these on the feature about the book, but I forgot the title.

This book (and movie) has stirred up quite a lot of controversies in our country. Many conservatives motioned that the movie should not be shown here, due to its heretic and anti-religious nature. It has also brought the catholic organization Opus Dei into the spotlight.
Le Monkey
QUOTE(kojirou @ Jun 10 2006, 11:58 PM) [snapback]410219[/snapback]
Many conservatives motioned that the movie should not be shown here, due to its heretic and anti-religious nature.

This is not meant to be offensive in ANY way at all,
but Americans seem to be way too sensitive towards anything coming close to their precious religion, if this topic gets onto this track; I know I just have to make sure there is a topic on Harry potter. but please, you burnt the books as they taught witchcraft to children...lol... I’m going to stop now... XD
kojirou
I'm not American..

I am from the Philippines, an archipelago that was colonized by Spain in 1521, thus making Catholicism the major religion here in our country.

People here defend the religion too much that so many movies come out too edited to be good.

In the case of the movie, many people protested that the movie was too heretic to be shown, and many religious and political figures said that the movie "could poison the beliefs of the weak-minded."

As for the book, it now costs thrice as much here, compared to its price about six months ago.

In my opinion, they are overreacting to the novel. It's fiction, for God's sake. Not all of the sh*t stated there are true, and some are only created and connected just to put in the thrill and the complexity of a good and interesting fiction novel.

Chiyo
As many have mentioned, the only reason people would believe the book a threat is if they have doubt in what they believe anyway. Why should people want it banned if they will never believe what it says? It almost suggests Catholic leaders believe they may lose their 'flock' to the book.

The point Monkey was making is that different places follow the same religion differently. Many people in the UK are Catholic or Christian, but Da Vinci didn't cause nearly as much of a stir here. Yes they wouldn't allow them to film in Westminster, but when it came to filming in Lincoln they saw it as a big opportunity. It has brought people/money to the Cathedral and it has done the same in the other places the film was made.

One thing I didn't like about the end of the film is Sophie's 'family'. In the book it is based around her actual relatives, not so much her 'protectors'. You see her brother but thats about it after he phones the others.

Slow in places, and I thought it was too dark all the time. I know it was mostly set at night but its almost as if they were going for noir.
PUKE
Before I had read the book I was told that it defied and insulted God. A co-worker even told me that the book proved that God didn't exist. So After I read the book, I was surprised at how much controversy it aroused. It is merely a fictional book that just tells about another religion.

I was very impressed at Dan Brown's ability to put a whole puzzling conspiracy together and actually make it work. And I was confused at why did people make such a fuss about it.

To be honest, the book did not change my beliefs at all. It was simply a well-written book to me.

I blame the over-zealous religious fanatics, those who believe or don't believe in Christian beliefs. The book is place in the Fiction section of the bookstores for a reason.
Chiyo
It does not insult God, it attacks some of his followers. It talks about how they covered up the 'truth' and murdered those who believed in the real Holy Grail. I suppose it is odd to think so many people got uppy when it wasn't actually questioning whether God existed at all.

Yes it is a fiction book but he believes some of what he is writing is fact. Its not even the first book to explore these ideas, that was 'The Hold Blood and the Holy Grail'.

Still, as Monkey stated, people burn Harry Potter books, as religious fanatics believe it sends children into the Occult. Da Vinci Code never stood a chance.
Quistis88
QUOTE(PUKE @ Jun 14 2006, 11:47 AM) [snapback]411749[/snapback]
I was very impressed at Dan Brown's ability to put a whole puzzling conspiracy together and actually make it work. And I was confused at why did people make such a fuss about it.

To be honest, the book did not change my beliefs at all. It was simply a well-written book to me.

I blame the over-zealous religious fanatics, those who believe or don't believe in Christian beliefs. The book is place in the Fiction section of the bookstores for a reason.

I also agree. Besides, practically the entire story rests upon a foundation of "false facts", which Dan Brown had apparently claimed to be "true". As well, he also states that he himself is a Christian, and this book was written for a fictitious form of entertainment.
PUKE
Indeed. All this controversy is simply luring curious people into reading or seeing The Da Vinci Code. There's really no need to be so upstarted by it.
sweety_pie
I just started reading this book today.I haven't read much though.
kojirou
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Jun 15 2006, 11:15 AM) [snapback]412204[/snapback]

I also agree. Besides, practically the entire story rests upon a foundation of "false facts", which Dan Brown had apparently claimed to be "true". As well, he also states that he himself is a Christian, and this book was written for a fictitious form of entertainment.

There's no sure way yet to prove which side is telling the truth. There are so many debates that go on out there, proving or disproving Brown's claimed "facts."

I have watched a documentary that says that the priory was just an organization founded in the 1960's or 70's by a certain man named Plantard, as one of his henchmen confessed. It also says that it has absolutely no ties to the Templars.

And there was also one documentary that said that the dead sea scrolls really did not have anything to do with the bible.

It's really up to us who or what to believe, but it clearly does not get the taste of religious folks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.