Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fushigi Yuugi
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Anime > Let's discuss your fav anime series here!
Jo21
Fushigi Ygi: The Mysterious Play (ふしぎ遊戯 Fushigi Yūgi?) produced by Studio Pierrot, the fifty-two episode Fushigi Ygi anime series premiered on Animax and TV Tokyo on April 6, 1995. The series aired weekly, until the final episode aired on March 28, 1996.
(Source - Wiki)

Plot Summary: Miaka Yuuki, an average middle school student caught up in studying for exams, is sucked into an ancient Chinese novel titled "The Universe of Four Gods". There she discovers that she is in an ancient country in what is now China, Konan, and is to be the Priestess of one of the four gods, Suzaku. As the priestess, her duty is to gather the Seven Seishi of Suzaku, who are to be her protectors. Once they are gathered, the priestess will summon the god Suzaku and bring peace between the warring lands, Konan and Kutou. But it's harder than it seems. Along the road, many hardships are faced, as Miaka's best friend Yui Hongo enters the book and becomes her rival, the priestess of Seiryuu in the land of Kutou. Who summons their god first is up to the courage and skill of the priestesses and their seishi, as they meet triumphs and tragedies along the way.

List of Characters

Genres: adventure, comedy, drama, fantasy, romance
Themes: bishounen, historical, male harem
Episodes: 52
Age Rating: Older Teen (Significant bloody violence and/or swearing and/or nudity)
(Source - ANN)

-------------------------

Hey!!! Does anyone here watches fushigi yuugi? I just finished watching the whole series. biggrin.gif
Chibka
Um... I've never watched it, but I've read a couple of the books. It's a good series! XD
Jo21
Yeah!!! Finally, there's someone who also knows fushigi yuugi!!! biggrin.gif
Chibka
Yeah, I have another friend that's read it, too laugh.gif She's the one who let me borrow her books! happy.gif Have you watched/read any other series by Yu Watase?
Toby-Chan
Ugh! It just drags on and on and on and freaking on! It does have the advantage that at least it does have a definitive end, unlike its ripoff, Inuyasha. And unlike Inuyasha, it does have some nicer design (Even if it is a bit generic) and a few cool characters.

But, like every Watase series, there was a heckuva lot that bothered me. She just keeps playing on the same characters, same love triangles, same character dynamics, same crappily executed romance, same cheap tactic of trying to garner sympathy by pointlessly killing off characters that we were never made to care about in the first place.

Not to say that it doesn't have good points. I'm quite fond of Chichiri! And Nuriko.

Hrm... I guess it was worth it for killing time, when I only had to get it from the library anyhow. (Manga- I've only seen a few episodes of the anime, but that didn't help it any.)

Jo21
I like Tamahome, Nuriko and of course, Tama, our only cat in fushigi yuugi!!! haha... tamahome's horoscope is cancer, which is the same as me! biggrin.gif
Chibka
QUOTE(Jo21 @ May 2 2006, 01:10 AM) [snapback]389300[/snapback]

I like Tamahome, Nuriko and of course, Tama, our only cat in fushigi yuugi!!! haha... tamahome's horoscope is cancer, which is the same as me! biggrin.gif

Oh my gosh! I'm a cancer too! July 2!

And I like Tamahome... he's cool. I also like Chichiri. biggrin.gif
MeLRizA
i onli like the kitty in fushigi yuugi... nth else... i realli hate miaka... she's so annoying n flirty...
Jo21
haha... The cat, tama, is a clever, cute and funny little kitty. once when miaka was with amiboshi and seperated from everyone, tamahome was very worried and tama dressed up as miaka, trying to make tamahome happy. however, tamahome said, "miaka's eyes aren't so small!!!" lol. Happy vesak day!!!
@MeLRizA
there's a vesak day celebration at orchard road, Ngee Ann City civic plaza! the president was there at 10am today(saturday) and i even got a chance to take a photo and shake hands with him! biggrin.gif
Hats
QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ May 1 2006, 04:36 PM) [snapback]388902[/snapback]

Ugh! It just drags on and on and on and freaking on! It does have the advantage that at least it does have a definitive end, unlike its ripoff, Inuyasha. And unlike Inuyasha, it does have some nicer design (Even if it is a bit generic) and a few cool characters.

Inuyasha isn't a ripoff of Fushigi Yuugi at all. o_o; Both series are based off entirely different legends from two totally different countries. I can point out some helpful links if nessisary. Also there's absolutely nothing similar about the characters. Personally I've watched them both. While I do enjoy watching InuYasha I much prefer Fushigi Yuugi.

happy.gif Its by far one of my favorites! :3 I started watching it back when pioneer first started releasing the episodes in VHS format... (I feel old now XD haha!) I really hope that they make Genbu Kaiden into an anime ohmy.gif Compared to Fushigi Yuugi its much more refined and mature. And you dont want to kill the main character.
Jo21
hehe... Fushigi Yuugi is also one of my fav animes. biggrin.gif
MeLRizA
QUOTE(Jo21 @ May 6 2006, 04:44 PM) [snapback]391159[/snapback]

there's a vesak day celebration at orchard road, Ngee Ann City civic plaza! the president was there at 10am today(saturday) and i even got a chance to take a photo and shake hands with him! biggrin.gif

really? i was stuck @ home doing my maths HW... stupid thing... btw, i have a friend who is crazy about fushigi yuugi too... guess she's like you... wink.gif
Jo21
oh... I only revised my science as my exam is starting tomorrow. My sister has been nagging at me asking my to revise all day long, worse than hawkeye nagging at mustang to do his paperwork. lol biggrin.gif
ice_cobalt
I've watched this anime a few times and I also own a copy of the series and the OVAs. I like the story, and like Hats, I'm hoping for an anime of the Genbu Kaiden, which, in my opinion, is much better than Fushigi Yuugi in a sense. ;D

Anyway, does anyone of you like Yui over Miaka?
Jo21
nah. i prefer miaka. she is cuter. biggrin.gif
ice_cobalt
oic...I just find Miaka pretty annoying. Heh.
Hats
QUOTE(ice_cobalt @ May 7 2006, 05:01 AM) [snapback]391730[/snapback]

I've watched this anime a few times and I also own a copy of the series and the OVAs. I like the story, and like Hats, I'm hoping for an anime of the Genbu Kaiden, which, in my opinion, is much better than Fushigi Yuugi in a sense. ;D

Anyway, does anyone of you like Yui over Miaka?

Well I prefer Miaka to Yui.

And I agree, Genbu Kaiden is better. But I still love them both.
Jo21
I haven't read about the genbu kaiden yet... sad.gif
Jo21
HEY!!! Why isn't there any replies!!! dry.gif
Hats
QUOTE(Jo21 @ May 8 2006, 05:02 AM) [snapback]392286[/snapback]

I haven't read about the genbu kaiden yet... sad.gif

happy.gif If you liked the original you'll love Genbu Kaiden. Although its being released rather slowing in Japan. sad.gif
Jo21
Oh i see... It is selling up to vol. 4 in my country... biggrin.gif
MeLRizA
Genbu Kaiden? is it nice?

i haven't been visiting any CD shops lately... been busy and when i wanted t go there, im already very tired... laugh.gif
Jo21
@ MeLRizA
Ya better sleep more and save more energy if ya wanna visit any CD shops, no da. biggrin.gif
MeLRizA
i wonder if anyone has heard of "aya shi no ceres", another work of the author of fushigi yuugi. the story has some similarities with fushigi yuugi (lots of romance and fightings-for-love)...

@ Jo21 ok wink.gif b
Hats
QUOTE(MeLRizA @ May 13 2006, 10:15 AM) [snapback]394558[/snapback]

i wonder if anyone has heard of "aya shi no ceres", another work of the author of fushigi yuugi. the story has some similarities with fushigi yuugi (lots of romance and fightings-for-love)...

@ Jo21 ok wink.gif b

happy.gif I've seen/read all of Ayashi no Ceres. I enjoyed it, but not to the same extent of Fushigi Yuugi.
Jo21
I just bought the fushigi yuugi vol 13, about the suzaku no miko. i just found a interesting fanfiction about fma and fushigi yuugi. it is worth to read. the web is http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2927889/1/ biggrin.gif
Hats
QUOTE(Jo21 @ May 14 2006, 02:37 AM) [snapback]395041[/snapback]

I just bought the fushigi yuugi vol 13, about the suzaku no miko. i just found a interesting fanfiction about fma and fushigi yuugi. it is worth to read. the web is http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2927889/1/ biggrin.gif

ohmy.gif wait till you get to 15, the technical end of the series. 16-18 are where the OVAs begin and end. They're ok, but I prefer the manga up to 15. 16-18 were written a little later on after Watase was asked to add more to the series.
ice_cobalt
Hey, how about Imadoki? Has anyone heard of it or owns the manga? I can't see any here in my country, so I'm kinda crushed. Some say it's a good manga. I've seen the covers of the manga, and I do think it's alright, since Yuu Watase made it.
Jo21
@ ice_cobalt
i never heard of that. no da
@ Hats
i thought that vol 13 is the end of the anime and part 1 of manga and vol 14 and after are the OVAs? No da? biggrin.gif
Hats
QUOTE(ice_cobalt @ May 15 2006, 02:43 AM) [snapback]395452[/snapback]

Hey, how about Imadoki? Has anyone heard of it or owns the manga? I can't see any here in my country, so I'm kinda crushed. Some say it's a good manga. I've seen the covers of the manga, and I do think it's alright, since Yuu Watase made it.

I love Imadoki!! biggrin.gif Its one of my favorite mangas! Its very cute ^^

@ Jo21
the anime part ends at 15, in the japanese version anyways, I haven't picked up any of the english ones so I dont know if they have the same contents. But 16-18 are the three that the ovas are based off of.
Jo21
@ Hats
oh i see... no da... go to my fanfictions at www.fanfiction.net/~Juushuku and read my fushigi story! biggrin.gif
Jo21
WHY ISN'T THERE ANY REPLIES?! NO DA?! dry.gif mad.gif
Hats
ohmy.gif I'll definately stop by and read your fanfiction. Unfortunately I dont have time to do so atm. happy.gif Getting ready for a convention next weekend! woo! Hopefully I can finish off my Fushigi Yuugi UFO plushie collection while I'm there ohmy.gif
Drakenzar
I like the OVA series a lot as the animation quality was much better than the original series. My fav character is Tamahome and Hotohori.
kazare
The series is good ,, however it is quite old ,, I guess they needed to remake it . . .

The series is good ,, however it is quite old ,, I guess they needed to remake it . . .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.