Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vol. 7 (English North American Version, Chapters 26, 27, 28, 29, & Gaiden: Second Lieutenent Goes To Battle)
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Manga
Nepharski
Just purchased the ever-so-excellent Vol. 7 of Hiromu Arakawa's masterpiece. I must say, Bradley's driver's liscense photo on the spine is pretty spiffy.

The Good
  • Martel's name is finally translated right (No more of this Marta nonsense).
  • Bradley.
  • Greed.
  • Omakes and side stories.
  • "No equivolent exchange for villains!"
  • One of the best fighting scenes thus far (Ed vs Greed), flanked by three equally respectable skirmishes (Scar vs Miscreants, Armstrong vs. Loa, Bradley vs Greed)
  • Best. Cliffhanger. Ever. [For people who can't find online translations, that is.]
  • ...Did I mention Bradley? Again?
The Bad
  • The name of the mighty ox-chimera is...Loa?
  • "Nothing is impossible" is swapped in place of "No such thing as no such thing." [How...not menacing.]
The Odd
  • The official sound effect of The Ultimate Eye? "Zam."
JoshP1389
I'll agree VIZ makes some weird onomatopoeias for actions. VIZ has done well with the whole manga project overall especially with the artbook.
Sensenic
QUOTE(Nepharski @ Apr 28 2006, 06:41 AM) [snapback]387077[/snapback]

[*]"Nothing is impossible" is swapped in place of "No such thing as no such thing." [How...not menacing.]

Laame...
Too "standard" a phrase.

Arienai nante koto ga arienai. cool.gif

[*]"After thinking for myself...I've decided to make you guys tell me" is swapped in place of "After thinking for myself...I've decided not to go with strangers." [How out of character.]

A shame indeed. Specially cuz the original was "I'll beat the secret out of you"... It's one of those moments where you can clearly see manga Al >>>> anime Al.

The Odd
  • The official sound effect of The Ultimate Eye? "Zam."

laugh.gif
MonsterEnvy
Volume 7 is out? In the US?

I thought that volume 6 was just released... how often do they come out? Assuming 80 total chapters, so 20 more months of the manga, then if they released a volume every month and a half i suppose we'd be caught up enough after the end to allow translating and volume compoilation time...
Migchao
I got 5 and 6 about two weeks ago. It said on the preview of volume 7 that it should be coming out in May, but what state do you live in? I'm in Florida, but they have manga tha hasn't come to where I live, but there is a grander select in manga where my grandparents are.
Nepharski
QUOTE(kittygirl @ Apr 28 2006, 11:08 AM) [snapback]387328[/snapback]

I got 5 and 6 about two weeks ago. It said on the preview of volume 7 that it should be coming out in May, but what state do you live in? I'm in Florida, but they have manga tha hasn't come to where I live, but there is a grander select in manga where my grandparents are.

I make my home in California. Might explain why it's come out so early for me (VIZ is located in California). I called up a bookstore to ask when they were expecting a shipment of Vol. 7, and the guy on the other end said, "Oh, we have some now." Worked for me.
Kirara
Well I live in Pennsylvania and I got 7 over a week ago so I don't think location has anything to do with it. Actually 6 came out in March (though if you were lucky you could find it in Feb). Volume 7 was scheduled for May but came out a little early in April. Basically the new issues come out every other month. So look for volume 8 in end of June/ early July
Singhay
I still have trouble finding Volume 2 in the stores. Every store never has them. Its like they got 1, they got 3, 4, 5, but never 2. I went to the Mall of America once and the guy gave me a "wtf do you want" look and said it was on order.
Colette
Just got it! *hugs Volume 7* Greeeeeed!

Yeah, I'm loving the name swap. And the butchered line got to me, but this time Greed called Sloth a lazy ass instead of a dimwit, so I'm good.

And the side story is episode 37! =D The first half any way.

Edit:
OMFG. Greed's line just redeemed himself.

"I don't like showing this form to people because it takes away from my sexy good looks"

That's like....the best line EVER said in Fullmetal Alchemist XD
MonsterEnvy
I must admit, that's a pretty awesome translation.

The 'ZAM! I pwn you with my eyes' is sort of sad, though.
Colette
I'm just relieved that "I'M A HOUSEWIFE!!!!!!" didn't change. There would have been some unpleasant phone calls to Viz otherwise.
Wyrd_Raven
I still felt overall it was good. "Just as you have the Ultimate Shield... I have the Ultimate EYE!"
Nepharski
QUOTE(Wyrd_Raven @ Apr 28 2006, 07:29 PM) [snapback]387604[/snapback]

I still felt overall it was good. "Just as you have the Ultimate Shield... I have the Ultimate EYE!"

Apparently, Lust is slated to come on as the "Ultimate Spear."
Wyrd_Raven
QUOTE(Nepharski @ Apr 29 2006, 03:42 PM) [snapback]387892[/snapback]

Apparently, Lust is slated to come on as the "Ultimate Spear."

Wasn't she called that in the anime or was her title "the Ultimate Lance?"
MonsterEnvy
Ultimate Lance sounds waaay cooler, i must admit... they should ask fans about their translations first. I mean, no such thing as no such thing? That was priceless.
Wyrd_Raven
QUOTE(MonsterEnvy @ Apr 30 2006, 11:49 AM) [snapback]388236[/snapback]

Ultimate Lance sounds waaay cooler, i must admit... they should ask fans about their translations first. I mean, no such thing as no such thing? That was priceless.

True but then again that opens... some more questionable doors as well. What if one of those wacko fans begin brow-beating the translators, sides the translation process might also slow down to the point where it would be a bi-annual release.
Singhay
You know what I just thought of? How will they translate Rentankutsu? Just say Xingese Alchemy?
MonsterEnvy
They'll probably leave it, but it's possible that it'll be 'elixir alchemy'
Nil-chan
'elixer alchemy'... It sounds better as rekanjutsu, or however you spell it. Heck, japanese is just plain cooler than english, lol.
MonsterEnvy
Nil-Chan:
Rentanjustsu= Xingese
Renkinjutsu= Amestrian
Ougonjutsu= Theoretical 'perfect' alchemy which has never been mentioned in the manga but is used to denote the likelihood of a perfect alchemy appearing at some point.
Just a clarification for those who don't follow that discussion religiously tongue.gif
Wyrd_Raven
QUOTE(Nil-chan @ Apr 30 2006, 10:03 PM) [snapback]388563[/snapback]

'elixer alchemy'... It sounds better as rekanjutsu, or however you spell it. Heck, japanese is just plain cooler than english, lol.

And in Japan the opposite is true. Though both countries mangle the words the others use. <=/
Full Metal Elf
Yay, it's out! I can't wait to get it! This is a good book, and I especially can't wait for Vol. 8! ^___^
Sensenic
QUOTE(Wyrd_Raven @ May 1 2006, 04:57 AM) [snapback]388585[/snapback]

QUOTE(Nil-chan @ Apr 30 2006, 10:03 PM) [snapback]388563[/snapback]

Heck, japanese is just plain cooler than english, lol.

And in Japan the opposite is true. Though both countries mangle the words the others use. <=/

Only one thing I can say to this:
w0rd

( n_n)--b
NeoKakashi
QUOTE(MonsterEnvy @ Apr 30 2006, 06:49 AM) [snapback]388236[/snapback]

I looked up the Kanji used for her title, and my book says it means "halberd." Hmm, Ultimate Halberd sounds cool!

And the "There's no such thing as no such thing" line was actually the line in the Japanese version, as far as I can tell (my Japanese is somewhat rudimentary dry.gif)
Sensenic
QUOTE(NeoKakashi @ May 2 2006, 10:15 PM) [snapback]389473[/snapback]

I looked up the [i]Kanji{/i] used for her title, and my book says it means "halberd." Hmm, Ultimate Halberd sounds cool!

And the "There's no such thing as no such thing" line was actually the line in the Japanese version, as far as I can tell (my Japanese is somewhat rudimentary dry.gif)

Agreed and agreed.

For the first one, I trust Yebyosh translation, who's always very literal (sometimes too much, ne? happy.gif), and for the second, I... guess... it's the most correct (and literal. And Badass-sounding) translation.
MonsterEnvy
The problem with halberd is that Lust is not a halberd, by any means. A halberd is a shafted axe which includes a point at the top so as to be a versitile weapon that could be used as a pike, spear, or axe, and in settings ranging from a ground-to-horse defensive strike to a horse-to ground offensive, or even horse-to-horse combat. They're also reasonable weapons for a relatively spread out melee, but not great in close quarters.

Lance makes a lot more sense, even if it's less accurate to the true japanese.

It also sounds cooler than Spear, but they both work.
Keoni
I don't know, lance has a better ring to it, IMO. Owh well, spear or lance it's cool with me, halbert reminds me of albert, which is definately not cool laugh.gif

I still cry over "Nothing is impossible", it's makes it sound like they're on Mission:Impossible or something. dry.gif

As for the extra's, I think "The Truth took my boxers." is a classic LOL laugh.gif
catalyste
X(

i've checked my local borders and barnes & nobles and neither of them have it! -tear-
Tombow
^^ Same here. So far, I couldn't find it. sad.gif
NeoKakashi
QUOTE(MonsterEnvy @ May 2 2006, 12:21 PM) [snapback]389497[/snapback]

The problem with halberd is that Lust is not a halberd, by any means. A halberd is a shafted axe which includes a point at the top so as to be a versitile weapon that could be used as a pike, spear, or axe, and in settings ranging from a ground-to-horse defensive strike to a horse-to ground offensive, or even horse-to-horse combat. They're also reasonable weapons for a relatively spread out melee, but not great in close quarters.

Lance makes a lot more sense, even if it's less accurate to the true japanese.

It also sounds cooler than Spear, but they both work.

Heh, well, I'd never seen a halberd when I posted that! I suppose Lance/Spear makes more sense... I should as my Sensei if the Kanji only means halberd.
catalyste
they used to use halberds in Japan, but then they replaced them with spears. which may be the cause of the confusion.

anyways, this is CRAZY! i've checked 2 Barnes & Nobles and a Borders, but none of them have it! i've only got 2 more options left, and they're out of town...T_T
Jen_Elric
I got my vol. 7 the day after my birthday, and I thought that it wasn't coming out yet!! Loved it!! and I definetely can't wait for vol. 8!!! XD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.