Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which Shows Ed And Al's Brotherly Love Better? Manga Or Anime?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > FMA Character Discussions
N. Havoc J.
<Editing the thread title from "Brotherly Love, Which has a better representation?" to "Which shows Ed and Al's Brotherly Love better?? Manga or Anime??" to better describe the question of the thread. 02/25/07 ~Tombow>

I was wondering which do you think shows a better representation of brotherly love? The manga or the anime?

I have to say the Manga.

During the whole anime I got the feeling that Alphonse was nothing more than extra weight to Ed but only when he got sent to the other world did he seem to miss him but even the feeling still seemed little to me.

In the manga the two feed off of each other better. I also like how it seemed so natural that when they had a problem Winry was there to talk some sense into them, it reminded me of my brother because when we get in fights our mother would show us how stupid we were and easily make-up. Plus the whole conversation they had when Ed returned to Central was great because for the first time they were completely honest with each other and worked out some important problems they were having. So what do you guys think?
Nepharski
Definitely the Manga.
CowAlchemist
-nods-

The manga.
Chibka
I've read a couple of books, and I'd have to say the manga.
Automne
The anime.
N. Havoc J.
QUOTE(SinLuxuria @ Apr 28 2006, 05:25 AM) [snapback]387173[/snapback]

The anime.
Your reason?
Automne
Don't feel like explaining right now.

Why don't you ask to those who, like me, simply responded 'the manga', huh?
Chibka
The manga is the original. It's going too be more in-depth than the anime. Both represent it well, but the manga does better than the anime. That's my reason.
Automne
If you say so, but, hey, I didn't ask for any explaination.
N. Havoc J.
QUOTE(SinLuxuria @ Apr 28 2006, 05:33 AM) [snapback]387176[/snapback]

Don't feel like explaining right now.

Why don't you ask to those who, like me, simply responded 'the manga', huh?
Well sense I saw more of a connection between the brothers more in the manga than the anime I was wondering what you saw. The reason I didn't ask people who said the manga because they would most likely had the same reason as me that I didn't post.
Chibka
Yes, yes. But I am curious as to your reasoning?
N. Havoc J.
QUOTE(Chibka @ Apr 28 2006, 05:46 AM) [snapback]387180[/snapback]

Yes, yes. But I am curious as to your reasoning?
Me?
Chibka
Sorry. I was talking to SinLuxuria. I'm curious about her reasoning as to why the anime is better with representing the "Brotherly Love" aspect of FMA.
Automne
Well, to say the thruth, I never took the time to enjoy the manga, and I just read it for pure curiosity, simply because I don't feel the same connection with the characters like I do with those in the anime. Now, about the brothers' connection, yes, it is here in the manga also, I can't deny it, but there is a little something missing to me, and this thing is in the anime, which makes it more developped.

So I guess it depends on the person, that's all. The connection we feel towards the characters is important too; IMO.
Chibka
Yes, you do have a point. It does depend on the person. laugh.gif Thank you for sharing your point of view with us. smile.gif
Automne
Hum, I didn't really want to give my opinion because I was afraid this thread would turn into a wank. smile.gif
Chibka
Um... wank? What does that mean?
N. Havoc J.
QUOTE(SinLuxuria @ Apr 28 2006, 05:59 AM) [snapback]387185[/snapback]

Well, to say the thruth, I never took the time to enjoy the manga, and I just read it for pure curiosity, simply because I don't feel the same connection with the characters like I do with those in the anime. Now, about the brothers' connection, yes, it is here in the manga also, I can't deny it, but there is a little something missing to me, and this thing is in the anime, which makes it more developped.

So I guess it depends on the person, that's all. The connection we feel towards the characters is important too; IMO.
And what is this thing you are talking about?
Automne
QUOTE(Chibka Posted Today @ 07:07 AM)

Ah, sorry for the confusion, wank = heated argument

QUOTE(N. Havoc J. Posted Today @ 07:22 AM)
QUOTE(SinLuxuria @ Apr 28 2006 @ 05:59 AM)

Kinda hard to explain, and I can't really put a finger on it, but I know it makes the connection seems stronger to me. I guess this is certainly the way they interact with each other.
N. Havoc J.
QUOTE(SinLuxuria @ Apr 28 2006, 06:47 AM) [snapback]387208[/snapback]

QUOTE(Chibka Posted Today @ 07:07 AM)

Ah, sorry for the confusion, wank = heated argument

QUOTE(N. Havoc J. Posted Today @ 07:22 AM)
QUOTE(SinLuxuria @ Apr 28 2006 @ 05:59 AM)

Kinda hard to explain, and I can't really put a finger on it, but I know it makes the connection seems stronger to me. I guess this is certainly the way they interact with each other.
...DON'T BE LAZY COME ON!!! YOU HAVE A POINT TO PROVE THEN DO IT NO MATTER HOW HARD IT IS!!! FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!!
RizaXRoy
Absolutely manga!
Automne
Aha... (I feel like Popo is gonna kill you for these capital letters) The problem is...I'm not being lazy, and I don't think my point is hard to prove at all. Believe it or not, the anime can easily appear superior to the manga to some. This is all about personal tastes. I just have the feeling that, in the anime, Ed and Al have a deeper bond, and that's shown pretty well with the way they interact with each other, and the way they talk about each other too. 'Tis all.
N. Havoc J.
QUOTE(SinLuxuria @ Apr 28 2006, 08:15 AM) [snapback]387242[/snapback]

Aha... (I feel like Popo is gonna kill you for these capital letters) The problem is...I'm not being lazy, and I don't think my point is hard to prove at all. Believe it or not, the anime can easily appear superior to the manga to some. This is all about personal tastes. I just have the feeling that, in the anime, Ed and Al have a deeper bond, and that's shown pretty well with the way they interact with each other, and the way they talk about each other too. 'Tis all.

At least give a example or two.
Automne
I won't, just because this is obvious you're convinced everything in the manga is better and that everyone should have the same opinion as you. I won't give any example, because there are others, and I don't mean only those who prefer the anime, who understood my point, and I think I explained it well enough. If you're not convinced, it has nothing to do with me. Here.
Silent Whisper
I agree with her. I Just feel that in the Anime that they have more then in the Manga. Its just a feeling that i have. Like you can actualy feel the love between them. Its weird. huh.gif
N. Havoc J.
QUOTE(SinLuxuria @ Apr 28 2006, 08:45 AM) [snapback]387267[/snapback]

I won't, just because this is obvious you're convinced everything in the manga is better and that everyone should have the same opinion as you. I won't give any example, because there are others, and I don't mean only those who prefer the anime, who understood my point, and I think I explained it well enough. If you're not convinced, it has nothing to do with me. Here.
That not what I'm trying to say at all I just wanted a example. I gave one that reminded me of the relationship I have with my brother.
Toby-Chan
QUOTE(Chibka @ Apr 28 2006, 06:37 AM) [snapback]387177[/snapback]

The manga is the original. It's going too be more in-depth than the anime. Both represent it well, but the manga does better than the anime. That's my reason.

That dosen't necessarily mean anything. For Utena, the manga is the original, and most fans agree the anime is better. The anime digs so much more in depth that it's often regarded as the default canon. (I like having a fandom that dosen't have mangaverse elitist biotches.)
Colette
Manga. Because Ed actually listens to Al in the manga.
Nil-chan
^^ Yeah. In the manga, it seems like you get to see the brothers more at their best and see them interact more. (Partially since the manga is longer). I think you get to see them more at their best in the manga, so yeah, that's my answer.
FmaRulz111
I'm going with the anime because their relationship in the anime seems more powerful than there relationship in the manga.

That's my reason. smile.gif
Daydreamer_Alchemist
I think they show allot of brotherly love in both the anime and the manga. It's just that they show it in different ways.
But I have to say that I like the mangas brotherly love more then the animes, just as N.Havoc J said it kind of feels like Al is like an extra weight to Ed..
Cece
The manga for me personally because like someone said in the anime to me Al seemed like extra weight. I like their relationship better in the manga better because Al is so much more independent and he can hold his own arc like he did in the manga while Ed was in Resembol he was of with Ling. I love the fact that there is a lot of brotherly love with out Ed or Al being like a leech on each other and that in the manga other characters roles and relationships with the Elrics don't have to be downplayed.
Misty- Nala
I have to say it's Anime 1. That series is based on those two brothers, other characters didn't get the attention they deserved (Mustang team). They do everything together and they can talk openly about their feelings. Edward is extremely protective of Alphonse. Yet, as someone alrady said, Alphonse does feel like the obligatory mission for Edward.

Still, you can clearly see they miss each other when they're apart. When Alphonse becomes the Philosopher's Stone and Edward has to stay away, the situation clearly bothers and hurts both of them. In movie, they are ready to do anything to be together. I mean, leaving your home and all your friends just to be with your brother? i wouldn't do that but Edward and Alphonse have only each other.

Manga makes their relationship a bit more man-like; they fight and aren't afraid to "smack" the other one back to senses. In Anime 1, they are more emotional but of course, the tone and athmosphere of those two stories couldn't be more different.
Dark-Winds
Totally the manga.

I mean in the first anime Ed gave up his whole body for Al, so that way Al could get his body back. But in the process, he left Al all alone.

However, in the manga Ed refused to give up his body for Al, not wanting him to feel the same loneliness that Ed had felt after the failed transmutation of their mother. Not only that, but he didn't want to go against his and Al's own wishes of getting others involved and using a Philosopher's Stone. But, Ed didn't give up, he kept thinking. He ended up giving up his gate so that he could no longer do alchemy, but he got Al's body back in the process.
RadicalDreamer
I love the brothers' bond in both... but I think I felt it more in the first anime than in the manga/Brotherhood. The reason being that the focus was more on them in the first anime. In the manga, almost all the characters get their moments. So yeah, it's good in a way... but the story is not about the Elric's brothers alone anymore... if you know what I mean.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.