Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question About Ed Clapping His Hands
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1) > English Dub episodes (on Adult Swim)
primus diddy
I know I'm either misunderstanding something or the reason is just to keep an interesting plot, but this really bothers me. When Eds automail becomes broken or ripped of or whatever, he can't clap his hands to use alchemy. He claps his hands to make his body into a transmutation circle, right? Well couldn't he do that by slapping his shoulder where the auto mail was? Or a foot? Well, any part of his body really, as that'd make just as legitimate a circle as clapping his hands.
MonsterEnvy
Yes, I've thought about that too. The best I can get from it is that alchemy is special, and alchemy is specialer, and, more importantly, it's because the Cow Goddess Arakwa hath sayeth that it is so, and that was good.

Really: The only actual explanation that I've gotten is this, and it's a manga explanation. The anime has nothing to support this at all. In the manga, alchemy works by something like 'energy cycles' and it's possible that Ed is using these to make the runes when he uses his arms as a circle. The 'cycles' aren't complete at the shoulder, but only through the arms. Ed's automail arm counts as part of the cycle because it's so tied into his body it's more or less part of his body.
Joe J
It may be that Ed needs two whole arms to make a balanced circle. If he was only using part of one arm, then the energy might be lopsided or something. unsure.gif

So, yeah...

Peace,
Joe J.
r315razor
ya, i agree, maybe his hands have to be used and have to allined perfectly.

Or maybe he dosnt do that to watch out for accidents. You know that spear thing he makes a lot? Well what if he used his Arm and foot. If he clapped them together, but then stepped down, the spear would come up from the ground into his foot!!!

Or maybe he has to use something that is direct? Cause maybe if he tapped his foot (without a shoe on) then it would work, but since he has a shoe (or boot, what ever) it dosnt work cause its not directly attached to his body..?
fma lover stef
you all make a good point.

i also have another question though. when scar broke both ed and al, it became a real problem because ed couldn't carry his brother around with only one arm. but couldn't he just draw a transmutaion circle and fix al?? huh.gif

i know it's hard to draw a transmutation circle in combat, but ed has all the time in the world to fix al at that time unsure.gif
primus diddy
QUOTE(r315razor @ Apr 27 2006, 05:46 PM) [snapback]386968[/snapback]

ya, i agree, maybe his hands have to be used and have to allined perfectly.

Or maybe he dosnt do that to watch out for accidents. You know that spear thing he makes a lot? Well what if he used his Arm and foot. If he clapped them together, but then stepped down, the spear would come up from the ground into his foot!!!

Or maybe he has to use something that is direct? Cause maybe if he tapped his foot (without a shoe on) then it would work, but since he has a shoe (or boot, what ever) it dosnt work cause its not directly attached to his body..?

The wears gloves on his hands to hide the automail. I tried that one too lol.
Damascus
Yeah, for some reason Ed doesn't use transmutation circles after the Alchemy Exam. Why doesn't he just do that?

*imagines Ed jumping into the air and clapping an arm and leg together* XD So silly...
Ailuro
You have to understand how something is made to perform alchemy on it. It can't just be fixed perfectly on its own. Perhaps he can't because he doesn't understand exactly how it's made, or where all the individual pieces go. =p
fma lover stef
well you'd think it would be a little more difficult to do it without the circle and using the circle or claping your hands, alchemy is the same. your doing the same thing, just a different technique
primus diddy
Well the difference between alchemy with and without a circle is that the alchemist who doesn't need a circle has seen the Gate. We all know that. Ed said that when he looked into the gate that it was like all the knowlege about alchemy was flooding his mind. He woke up and knew things about alchemy that he didn't know before. His knowlege was incresed when he was given the ability to perform alchemy without a circle. That's easy to overlook. Not to mention that Ed was a prodigy before the Gate incident.
FullmetalRaptor
Frankly, I don't see how clapping his hand to his shoulder would work,because I can't see the connecton being made to circulate the reactin working that way. HIs hands clap flat against each other, which is probably how the reaction is able to flow very readily through him. Plus, it would just waste time if stopped to clap his hand to his foot. Its not like an enemy is going to show mercy to an idiot to bent over to do something, so, his hands, either way, are his best bet, anyway.
The Stone Hewing Alchemist
when ed claps his hands together he creates a complete circle with which he rearanges the structure of an object to remake it, repair it, or form it into a new object made of the same material if he understands its structure.
sweety_pie

OK, I have another question that sort of has to do with this(if noones asked) when Ed is kidnapped by Barry the Chopper in ep.7 and Barry detaches Eds auto-mail arm, Ed draws a transmutation circle on the chains, how did he do alchemy if he only had one arm.
Popogeejo
Because he used a circle instead. He only need both arms to transmute with out circles.
Tyna
Simple enough! : smile.gif :
Chizu
He needs a circle if his arm is missing but I think it's to focus the energy
Automne
QUOTE(Tyna Posted May 22 2006 @ 11:29 AM)
Or you can pray with your elbows all the way up, that'll work, too...I guess.

Of course, that works. Chinese people are saluting and certainly praying like this too.
jack454
QUOTE(primus diddy @ Apr 27 2006, 04:34 PM) [snapback]386923[/snapback]

I know I'm either misunderstanding something or the reason is just to keep an interesting plot, but this really bothers me. When Eds automail becomes broken or ripped of or whatever, he can't clap his hands to use alchemy. He claps his hands to make his body into a transmutation circle, right? Well couldn't he do that by slapping his shoulder where the auto mail was? Or a foot? Well, any part of his body really, as that'd make just as legitimate a circle as clapping his hands.

this is one of those life long questions tht i cant answer. lol smile.gif
blubbernuggetalchemist
i would have said you can only transmute the parts where you have lost in the fee for the gate, but
then i realized that izumi never slapped on her intestines.

my best guess would be that you have to slap your hands to gether to form the runes for the circle. i kno izumi said that what she has lost serves as the runes, but maybe you have to reunite the entire body to activate teh loss. wink.gif best guess
Greed貪欲
Actually, in the episode where Wrath takes part of Ed's automail, Ed claps with his hand and his wrist of his automail. I don't see why he can't use his shoulder.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.