Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Doctor Who / Torchwood/& Other Dr. Who Spin-offs
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Movies, TV Shows, & Other Videos
Pages: 1, 2, 3
MonsterEnvy
So, any other Who fans? If you've never heard of it, a quick google search should turn up some vital information and an episode download or two.

Well, I just got a chance to see the first episode of the second season today, and I was somewhat disappointed in it. While it was a nice theme, and Cassandra's subplot was okay, the terrible science was difficult to overlook, and the writers seemed pretty lazy. It could have been a good episode... but just wasn't.

Anyone else's opinions?
Tombow
It's about time someone makes a thread for this show!! tongue.gif

I'm in U.S., so we are one year behind, and we just started getting it aired this season.
I had seen old version of Dr. Who episodes, and so far I like this version also. smile.gif
MonsterEnvy
I'm in the US too, but a friend of mine found a hack for his DVD player to play all of Season 1, and just found somewhere to dl season 2, so i'm all caught up, luckily.

Christopher Eccleston is a great doctor, and most of Season 1 was really very good. It outclasses the older series by a lot, I thought.
Tombow
Wow, lucky you!! I'm only into the first few episodes. happy.gif
But yeah, I like new Dr. Who guy. He is cool!! biggrin.gif
Chiyo
David Tennant....also known as Barty Crouch Jnr in Harry Potter....does make a good Dr but I just can't stand Rose. I only really think the Brits will know who Billie Piper is, and they will roll their eyes at her as well.

Last nights were-wolf ep was more aimed at kids then anyone. And the reason his Scottish accent was so good is because he is actually Scottish. Still I enjoyed it, and guess most others did too.
MonsterEnvy
Yes, I'm excited about getting a chance to see that today. It looks a lot better than the first episode...

Rose... yes, she is somewhat annoying, and you can't help but get the feeling that she's intended as a bit of eye candy for the male viewers. She doesn't make a bad assisstant, though. She seems to be the epitome of the dumb blonde, and is perfect for the 'omg i'm in trouble save me doctor!' moments.
zombie
Only season 1 And I dont know if it was all of season 1. it was on TV last year sometime. I thought that season was a very good one from what I have seen of the old ones.
Chiyo
The actress who plays Rose was originally a pop star when she was 16. Then she married a ginger (rich) dork, now they are divorced and she's gone into acting. Eye-candy? Do you think so little of us Brits laugh.gif
MonsterEnvy
I heart your avvy, Chiyo...

Well, I thought that a mention of the newest episode, Rise of the Cybermen, deserved a quick mention. It was really quite good, but I have some friends who felt a bit underwhelmed by it after the last three spectacular episodes.

The evil genius was overdone, and the 'Delete' thing made the cybermen seem all too Dalek-y.

But, all in all, I loved the episode, and am looking forward to it's finish next week.
Chiyo
I was not amused when I saw that 'to be continued'

And, if my information is correct, the episode after Cybermen part 2 is based around the time of Queen Elizabeth 2nd Coronation....perfect timing (that anniversary is coming up)

And thanks about the avy, it seems to be scaring people.
Popogeejo
Rose... yes, she is somewhat annoying, and you can't help but get the feeling that she's intended as a bit of eye candy for the male viewers. She doesn't make a bad assisstant, though. She seems to be the epitome of the dumb blonde, and is perfect for the 'omg i'm in trouble save me doctor!' moments.

At first she seemed dumb but now she seems pretty smart about thuings. She runs off alot but she doesn't really act like Dumb blonde. Ofcourse she is cockney so we can't expect to much from her wink.gif

I was not amused when I saw that 'to be continued'

And, if my information is correct, the episode after Cybermen part 2 is based around the time of Queen Elizabeth 2nd Coronation....perfect timing (that anniversary is coming up)

Popo's theory is that Micky or Ricky bites the dust. Still I can't wait. biggrin.gif
Chiyo
Ooh one of them kicks the bucket hey? Didn't think about that, but I'm quite sure they never intended to have Micky around for the whole series. Then again it might be ex Byker Grove boy who dies...if any do go that is.
Popogeejo
I'm not certain about the bucket kicking but a preview I saw heavily hinted at it. Something along the lines about it being the time for micky to prove himself.
I hope he doesn't die. He adds a bit more group dynamics than just having to lead characters.
Chiyo
I agree with you there, he's also a good symbol of Rose and the Doctor not getting together. Maybe Ricky will die even though Micky was meant to?

Had a panic last night, I wondered what would happen to Doctor Who since the Eurovision is on. It's just on a little earlier laugh.gif
asunder
I'm a big fan of the original doctor who series.

Does the new series have the alien races from the old series? (the dalecks? etc.)
Popogeejo
Yep. We've seen the Daleks in two or three eps and the Cyberman in two.
The Daleks were most impresive.
On a side note: My Gran knew the guy who thought the Daleks up.
asunder
QUOTE(popogeejo @ May 17 2006, 07:59 AM) [snapback]396625[/snapback]

Yep. We've seen the Daleks in two or three eps and the Cyberman in two.
The Daleks were most impresive.

hehe ever play master of orion or master of orion 2?

i think some doctor who alien races were in there smile.gif
Chiyo
QUOTE(popogeejo @ May 17 2006, 03:59 PM) [snapback]396625[/snapback]

Was he a plumber? laugh.gif

I saw one of the original Dalek costumes for sale in an antiques shop here. Until you get near one you really can't tell how big they are. They may look funny, but I wouldn't have wanted it chasing me.
Fullmini Alchemist
Are you talking about the old Who? or the new one?
elalquimistafilosofal
i agree, sometimes taht happen...and I HATE IT
Popogeejo
QUOTE(Fullmini Alchemist @ May 19 2006, 12:59 AM) [snapback]397370[/snapback]

The new ones I think. Anything from 2005-06
Fullmini Alchemist
QUOTE(popogeejo @ May 18 2006, 09:03 PM) [snapback]397375[/snapback]

Ok, the first season was ok, though they changed the Dr. way to quick in my opinion. I haven't seen season 2 yet, I don't think it has come to the CBC yet.
elalquimistafilosofal
but second season continues being cool biggrin.gif
Popogeejo
QUOTE(Fullmini Alchemist @ May 19 2006, 01:10 AM) [snapback]397382[/snapback]

QUOTE(popogeejo @ May 18 2006, 09:03 PM) [snapback]397375[/snapback]

Ok, the first season was ok, though they changed the Dr. way to quick in my opinion. I haven't seen season 2 yet, I don't think it has come to the CBC yet.

the BBC didn't want to change the actors but the guy didn't want to stuck in the role. Still the new guy is really good.
MonsterEnvy
David Tenant is luv.

Incidentally, it is on the CBC. My friend and I were looking at trying to get some sort of satellite connection so that we could watch it live instead of sitting through endless torrent downloads.

squee! The next episode is going to be out in two and a half days! I didn't realize that it was coming around so quickly.
Chiyo
The Coronation ep? Has to be my favourite of Rose so far laugh.gif (I'm so cruel). You gotta love a peeved Doctor, and boy was he peeved (and sexy, had to be said).

Looks like the next ep is getting more into a space adventure setting rather than history. Been a while since they've had a full blown space episode.
Demonhunter399
i love to watch Doctor Who. i get my episodes the same time they get them in Uk,so im ahead of everyone here in the U.S.

woot for me.
Popogeejo
QUOTE(Chiyo @ May 30 2006, 12:08 PM) [snapback]403417[/snapback]

Looks like the next ep is getting more into a space adventure setting rather than history. Been a while since they've had a full blown space episode.

And my Gosh wasn't it good? Evil Tatoo man, Aliens who faces look like surgery gone wrong and a funky setting aswell. I can baerly wait for the next episode.
Chiyo
*nod* Bit of a shock when they lost the Tardis. I can only imagine they somehow get back to it in the next episode. I love that they almost suggest this creature is the devil himself. I wonder what comes out of that pit the Doctor is on the edge of.
MonsterEnvy
Yes! I totally loved that episode. (and your avvy, chiyo. As always, David Tenant is love.)

It does look great for next week, and though I haven't bowed to temptation and actually spoiled myself, I've heard that the demon/Satan guy looks AWESOME.

Sounds fun.
Carnal Malefactor
The Ood look... familiar...

rolleyes.gif
Chiyo
Haha my sister didn't like them, so I told her it was like looking at a real life Zoidburg from Futurama.
Popogeejo
QUOTE(Chiyo @ Jun 9 2006, 10:39 AM) [snapback]408962[/snapback]

Haha my sister didn't like them, so I told her it was like looking at a real life Zoidburg from Futurama.

My mum thought they looked like Zoidberg aswell...
Carnal Malefactor
And who does Zoidberg resemble?

IPB Image
Popogeejo
Cthulhu! Our lovable, cuddely tentacle monster.

I want one![attachmentid=5890]

but I digress from the topic at hand...
Chiyo
Woo, Peter Kay is in the next one, which confuses me as it'll make it funny but I think he's a monster. Ah well, a lighter one would be a good idea after last Saturdays (scary Devil)
MonsterEnvy
Though I know I'm late, I can't help but pay my respects shortly to what may have been the best Doctor Who episode of all time. I really thought that it was quite clever, and the Satan bit was pulled off very well.

Next episode looks interesting... especially since the Doctor will NOT be in it. I wonder how they'll do Doctor Who without Doctor Who. It's odd that there's a famous comedian in it... last time they started doing cameos, the show sucked. I hope they do a better job of it next time. Sadly, any episode will look flawed in comparison to the Satanic thriller we just witnessed, though...
Popogeejo
I thought the episode with Simon Pegg was pretty damn good.(The first episode on the News Satelite 5. He played the Under Editor.)

MonsterEnvy
I was referring to the series in the late 80s. At that point, they pulled in cameos to try to influenceviewer ratings. At one point, the show was done so poorly that the cliffhanger at the end of an episode was literally the doctor spontaneously falling off a cliff. At the beginning of the next episode, his assisstant helped him up and they went along their merry way.

yep, it's come a looong way.
IttyBittyPretty
I haven't caught many episodes of this show (which I used to write fan fic for years ago); but I did catch "Parting Of the Ways" last Friday. The regeneration scene was - different (hey, Time Lords don't mes around anymore), but I'll have to see the first episode of the new Doctor to see if he acts strangely until he settles into his new body.
Popogeejo
QUOTE(MonsterEnvy)
At one point, the show was done so poorly that the cliffhanger at the end of an episode was literally the doctor spontaneously falling off a cliff.

Cliffs were very sneaky back then. You'ld be strolling along when BAM! A cliff would jump strait at you and coax you in to falling of it.(Or in the Case of Cliff Richard bugginf yuo to buy his albums.)

The best Low point for Dr. Who was the Candy man who looked like Bertie Basset. T'was most hysterical.
Chiyo
QUOTE(MonsterEnvy @ Jun 13 2006, 10:19 PM) [snapback]411332[/snapback]

Next episode looks interesting... especially since the Doctor will NOT be in it. I wonder how they'll do Doctor Who without Doctor Who.

Really? I could have sworn I saw him in the adverts for it. Still they pulled off an episode with Rose mostly out of it.

I don't think you can compare other episodes to The Satan Pit as its stands out as something quite different to what they usually do.

If I remember correctly, some kid on Blue Peter designed a monster that has to appear at some point. Wasn't it a blob of some kind? No offence to the kid, but others were far more creative.
Popogeejo
It was a bold with faces pushing out of it. The monster abosrbs people when they touch him apprently, like regulare fat people. tongue.gif wink.gif
Chiyo
Haha would you believe I just watched Blue Peter and it had said child on it. That absorb monster will be on Saturdays episode, and its Peter Kay playing it. The Doctor is most certainly in it too (they showed clips).

Small edit note: oh boy
Ice1Alchemist
I love that show i watch it every friday! thats the day its on 4 me in kansas lol ^^
Chiyo
Tonights episode is glorifying England again, this time they travel to 2012 for the London Olympics. Its another horror one, with the classic 'monsters in the closet' by the looks of it.
MonsterEnvy
And then, after that... finale! Yay. Thanks to the beauty of torrenting and time differences, I should see tonights at around 3 in the afternoon. Fun, fun.

Unfortunately, I leave for a month without internet access three or four days before both the release of the last Who episode, FMA Chapter 61, and both Bleach and Naruto chapter releases dry.gif

That won't be fun.
Chiyo
They really pushed the closeness of Rose and the Doctor in this episode...in other words something bad is about to happen to one of them and of course we know its Rose. Lots of questions popped up in this episode, but whether they will all be answered in the next two eps who knows.

I don't think Rose is going to die I might add. They suggest it far too much. Oh and just in case anyone cares...notice the girl who screams in the preview fpr the next ep? She is rumuoured to be the next 'Who Girl'.
Popogeejo
There going to be a spin off!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torchwood
Sounds interesting...
Chiyo
première in October 2006 on BBC Three.

In other words, test the water to see how people take to it before it reaches mainstream TV. Still, thanks for the info Popo.

[spoiler]Hurrah, I was right, Rose didn't die.[/spoiler]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.