Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wrath's Ability
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1)
«°~Envy™~°»
<Editing the thread title from "I Have An Intresting Question About Wrath" to "Wrath's ability, compare to other Homonculi" to better describe the content of this thread, then moving from FMA Character forum to FMA Anime forum where all Humoncli threads are currently being collected. 02/23/-7 ~Tombow

You know all the Homonculi can regenerate there broken limbs right?

Like Greed

well I don't think Sloth needed too lol

but what about Wrath

[spoiler]when Envy pulled off his right arm and left leg he never regenerated them back and now has automail on them, I think due to the fact that He wasn't actually created thru Alchemy in complete form at first, he waited behind the doors till he could get a ed's arm and leg then stepped thru to the spot where Teacher tried to bring her child back[/spoiler]

what do you people think
Damascus
Good eye! That is pretty inconsistent; I mean Green got his bloody head whacked off and it just grew right back, you'd think Wrath could do the same with his body...

*hmm....* Maybe its just cause he hasn't had his own arm and leg for so long...
«°~Envy™~°»
well My theroy is cause how he was created, or as you said about his own arm maybe it's cause it's not actually his arm it was Ed's who knows
Envy's lil' miniskirt
I always thought (ie had a theory) that Wrath took Ed's limbs for himself for some reason (perhaps to become human). Maybe he thought it would help him leave the gate. He couldn't regenerate because the limbs did not belong to him. If the gate had ripped off one of his own arms I think it would have been different.
Dark Fate
This may be a bit far out there, but maybe it's because Wrath didn't have any of the incomplete Philosopher's Stones in him when he first took Ed's limbs? Perhaps they just wouldn't register as limbs to be regenerated since the stones never had the chance to sense the presence of Wrath's original arm and leg.
Automne
Two words:

Plot Hole.
Dark Fate
QUOTE(SinLuxuria @ Apr 20 2006, 11:55 AM) [snapback]383954[/snapback]

Two words:

Plot Hole.

Or it could be that. laugh.gif
Envy's lil' miniskirt
QUOTE(SinLuxuria @ Apr 20 2006, 11:55 AM) [snapback]383954[/snapback]

Two words:

Plot Hole.

Best explaination so far.
Sleeping Forest
QUOTE(SinLuxuria @ Apr 20 2006, 02:55 PM) [snapback]383954[/snapback]

Two words:

Plot Hole.

that reminds me...in one of the earlier episodes when ed first gets his automail limbs, he spars with al and knocks him into a lake...
why didn't al's blood seal come off?
is that another plot hole...?
Automne
The water wasn't all that deep to begin with.
Popogeejo
Wrath can only regenerate whats actually his.His propper form is pretty much a mirror of Ed.He can only regenerate that far.If he lost his other leg he could re-grow it.
Automne
Wrath's proper form isn't a mirror of Ed's. He's the result of Izumi's human transmutation.

And if you're looking into the dephts of the subject, Ed's arm and leg are his, he took it, attached it to his body, they're parts of him, and yet, him using alchemy doesn't really make sense. Having an arm and a leg like these won't make him have a soul (even if I support the idea that homunculi do have souls, which would lead to the discussion of another plot hole so that's all I'm gonna say).

Then what? It's all about blood then? His and Ed's blood mixed when he took the limbs or something, which permitted him to do alchemy, but still won't make him regenerate these particular limbs? Then, he wouldn't regenerate at all? And that would also explain why, in the movie, Ed managed to activate the transmutation circle then? Anyway, it still does not explain why he can't regenerate.

And when we saw Wrath as a homunculus still in the Gate, he had an arm and a leg already, without being a complete homunculus yet, but still.
Damascus
QUOTE(popogeejo @ Apr 20 2006, 03:07 PM) [snapback]384002[/snapback]

Wrath can only regenerate whats actually his.His propper form is pretty much a mirror of Ed.He can only regenerate that far.If he lost his other leg he could re-grow it.

Yeah, but the point I think is, when he lost Ed's limbs, how come he didn't regrow his own, that he started with?
Popogeejo
He never started with them.When he was in his black shadowy form inside the gate he didn't have a physical form.He took Ed's arm and leg and used those from the start from what I can tell.
Nepharski
Homunculi desire to be Human above all else, despite the fact that this means they lose their regenerative abilities. Anyone remember Episode 47? "Is the reason you wanted to become Human so you could die?" "Yes...I-I think was it." Part of Wrath was already human, so that is why it did not regenerate.

Simple.
Fayth Prophecy
I'd go with what Nepharski's idea. It seems logical enough.
Automne
Actually, seems hardly logical and/or explainable to me...
Rogue37
Well, maybe it has something to do, with how you lose your limbs, eh?
I mean I'm not sure if anyone of the other homunclus have ever lost a limp because of the gate.

I try to explain, but well my english... Okay, everything starts with the gate. They were "born" there, right?
So if you go back and stand infront of that and something of you will be sucked in, than there's no possibiltiy for a homunclus to regernerate these "stolen" limbs. Maybe that's the reason...
_Jelly
Want I think is right: Wrath never owned those limbs, they were just attached to him and were simply using Eds arm and leg, just like automail, only not. Therefore, he couldnt regenerate it becuase they werent really part of him.
Jo21
i think wrath is different from all the other homunculus.
1. he doesn't have a special ability.
2. he can't recover/revive/whatever.
3. all homunculus are the remaining thing that is left from the human transmution. however, wrath is not. his real body is taken away by the hands from the gate. biggrin.gif
_Jelly
I think he gained his special ability by gaining those limbs and being able to fuse his body into/with other things. About the gate..unlike other Homunclus, he grew up inside the gate itself and then took Eds arm and leg as his own. He grew on his own..hey...maybe he was a gate baby XD
Damascus
Actually, I beleive Wrath's special power is merging. Even without really using alchemy he was able to merge with his bed in one of his first episodes. Whether or not he's still able to do it after losing his limbs I don't know, but I think the alchemy is just a bonus.
Jo21
The reason why wrath is able to use alchemy is because it is the limbs of ed's. since ed's a alchemist, the limbs will be able to use alchemy too. biggrin.gif
Sydney
Saw that too, and tried to rationalize the apparent inconsistency....

I thought it all came down to Wrath's screwed-up mind, his willpower: he wanted to be human, and having Ed's arm and leg--his HUMAN limbs--well, he enjoyed them so much, he wanted the rest of Ed's body. X_X So, when he loses those human limbs--now, I think he CAN regenerate, but not those limbs, only his own, which he hasn't really used since getting Ed's arm and leg in the first place. Right, when he loses them, he still want to be human--so, consciously or unconsciously, he resists his automatic regeneration of his Homunculus nature; Winry's automail is a compensation--having metallic limbs is still more human than a Homunculus growing back his parts. (It recognizes human frality, you see.)

To summarize, I think Wrath didn't grow back his own limbs because of his desire to be human, or at least seem more human.

Did that make sense?
«°~Envy™~°»
QUOTE(Jo21 @ Apr 21 2006, 05:24 AM) [snapback]384336[/snapback]

i think wrath is different from all the other homunculus.
1. he doesn't have a special ability.
2. he can't recover/revive/whatever.
3. all homunculus are the remaining thing that is left from the human transmution. however, wrath is not. his real body is taken away by the hands from the gate. biggrin.gif

1. he's got two special abilities he's able to merge his body with other things he didn't clap his hands to merge with the bed, plus the extra ability due to the limbs he obtained from ed for alchemy

Oh Snap after thinking about number 2 I just remembered something witch makes it where I'll have to go with

QUOTE(popogeejo @ Apr 20 2006, 01:07 PM) [snapback]384002[/snapback]

this

with the exception of being a mirror of ed lol

Wrath can only regenerate whats actually his

cause thinking about what Jo21 said "2. he can't recover/revive/whatever."

I remember in that same episode Nepharski mentioned Number 47 I think it is

where Lust Puts a Nail thru Wrath's head his pupiles go dead just like ed's in my avatar, and he revives himself shortly after they already left him, he must have also regenerated that hole lust made in his head as well
Nepharski
In Episode 46, Lust rebells against the Homunculi betraying Wrath and joining Edward to save his brother. Edward asks her why she wants to be a human in the first place, as she seemed to have so much disdain for the affairs of mankind. She responds by asking him why he want's to return his brother to his original body, despite the fact that his current one protects him from the elements and pain and even death. Greed was after Alphonse because he wanted the secrets to eternal life, and saw the suit of armor as the closest anyone has come. Why should Edward want to take away such a "Gift" that has been bestowed upon his brother? As Lust seems to be comparing Alphonse's situations with her own, it is very conceivable that she, and all Homunculi therein, would prefer to be powerless, yet complete, humans, rather than what they are now. Becoming fully human as they wish could theoretically reduce the Homunculi to nothing more than average, "fragile" humans, but they still want it, nonetheless.

Going with this, Wrath already has two human limbs. They are not his own, but as his ability to to merge with surrounding elements, he has taken them. The fact that he can preform Alchemy, which no other Homunculi can do, sets the "Humanity" of his limbs in stone. Thusly, when he loses them, they do not grow back. Why? Because they are already human. If those parts had been 100% Homunculi, they would have grown back, but they didn't, because part of him, via the dubious nature of the gate and Ed's sacrifice, was already human, so his regenerative powers couldn't affect them. It makes sence, in the end.

Long-winded, yes, but that's what I think.
Colette
I have a question about Wrath as well. Why didn't he regenerate his burnt flesh after Sloth died? He does later, but I don't know why he didn't immediatly.
Nepharski
QUOTE(Summoner Colette @ Apr 22 2006, 01:47 PM) [snapback]384834[/snapback]

I have a question about Wrath as well. Why didn't he regenerate his burnt flesh after Sloth died? He does later, but I don't know why he didn't immediatly.

Not sure on exactly why it takes awhile to recover, but it's not inconsistant. Wrath's regeneration time seems slower than the rest of the Homunculi. Twice he gets stabbed through the forehead by Lust, and both times it takes a fair moment for him to regain conciousness. As long as were on that subject, when Scar duels Gluttony and Lust in the Library, he destroys Gluttony's arm, which also doesn't grow back right away. Compare this with, say, Pride, who's entire body reassembles after being blow to smithereens just moments before. Maybe Homunculi "Reactions times" vary. Who knows.
MonsterEnvy
It probably has to do with the amount of red stone that they've eaten. If they have less, regeneration would be correspondingly slower. It's not like they can just use them until they 'hit the wall,' so to speak, and then completely stop.

Wrath couldn't regenerate his limbs for one of two reasons. The one that seems most apparent is that he never had those limbs in the first place. They're sort of like clothes- he's 'wearing' them, but they're not actually part of his body. He would have needed to give up his real limbs to take on Ed's.

He also may not have regenerated because he doesn't have any red stone left. He was hit with that transmuatation circle thing, and he hadn't had a lot in the first place because he was such a young homunculus.
Colette
Nepharski, good point.

MonsterEnvy, he still has some red stones left, but your theory's a good one.

However, I'm willing to bet that Gluttony has had loads of red stones, but his regeneration's pretty slow.

Then again, he is big, so it would take longer.
FMA4ever
I'm guessing it was how he was made. Cause he has Ed limbs, but all the other Homunculi have their fake bodies. So...I'm not sure.
Silent Whisper
Well for starters Wraths arm and leg where not his to begin with so how can you grow back what is not yours? dry.gif
Wrath V
Wrath uses Ed's right hand and left leg to do alchemy, as everybody knows that homunculus can't do alchemy, Wrath is the only one that can do that, but once that Dante rips Ed's limbs off from Wrath, he couldn't regenerate them just because from the beginning those limbs weren't his, but, if it were, first of all, he couldn't do alchemy, second, he could regenerate them and third he wouldn't get out of the door...
Am I right or I have it all confused??????? You tell me.

[attachmentid=6754]
gunslinger alchemist
I think THe Alchemy is a borrowed power, like how he "Borrowed" The arm and leg. Did you see how fast he was moving in teacher's house? that, and he was really fast in the movie. I think his power is speed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.