Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Maths, Do You Hate It?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Open Talk
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Queenozelight
<Edited to add "Do You hate It?" to the thread title to better describe the content of the poll. 03/18/07 ~Tobow>

I personally hate maths...Do you?
odoridan
I love math! wub.gif Discrete math and linear algebra are the best! Heck, abstract algebra isn't that bad either. (But I hate analysis mad.gif)
gugclo
Geometry owns you xD
Prinz_Zoisit
i didn't post anything... why are you posting such a thing? did you get bad grades?!?! dry.gif
Omakase Shimasu
Oh... drat I accidentally said yes, but I don't really hate math. I hate the fact that I can't understand nothing about it all. -___- I was prolly the worst out of my entire class. <___< I'm more of a language major myself... or Arts.
Riza Babe
art owns all the subjects biggrin.gif im studying art cause i want to draw manga!
Gashole
I used to love math. Then I met Calculus. I wish I could meet Newton so that I could kill him.
rsF
I love math. Except when sometimes these abominations of equations come along...
Kokoro no Hana
I think math is okay smile.gif
Kasumi
I don't know... The reason I like it is because I get high marks in maths, but I don't really like it. (if you know what I mean...)
Queenozelight
I hate maths because of Thales...It took me 2 years to understand it(actually,I was taking my exams and I suddenly undersood...I feel lucky...)And now,the teacher sux...He can't write french or speek it....Nobody listens in class....Me first...
Prinz_Zoisit
there are many things i understood ...and this feeling...... math can be very interesting... i have to say...
Gashole
Yeah, I guess it is interesting, but only if you have a lot of time. And I have pages to read. (Don't ask why, if I'm so busy, I come here so frequently.)
Aqua_Alchemist
I don't hate maths, but this term I've got the worst teacher ever, and me and my friend just do nothing in his lessons but talk. I am seriously not pissed with his lessons. So it'll have to be a yes this time round. I can be v. good at maths though, got an A in the first part of my exam last year.
xrninja
i hate math sad.gif i did fine in algebra, geometry, and algebra 2 honors, but died horribly in trig/analysis honors and currently dying in ap calc (calc ab! i'm dying in the EASIER calc class) my teacher is pretty cool though. i'm definitely going into art next year so no more math, ever! hah. unless i take some business/econ courses on the side.
Gashole
Bwahahah, we're alike! I started dying in Precalculus. Then I took two years of no math. Now I'm re-dying in Calculus. Maybe I could consult you about some of my problems? wink.gif
xrninja
i'd probably need to consult you XD we only just finished pre-calc review and started on derivatives though. i'm okay with the derivatives, it's the review i didn't remember laugh.gif
Aqua_Alchemist
I'm fine with equations and stuff. It's just I hate drawing diagrams (such as histograms, shapes that show specific angels blah blah). Maybe it's because I'm too lazy cool.gif .
wolfi1412
This question is kinda weird.. try to add 50:50.. coz sometimes math can be fun..
xrninja
is that a ratio or something? and what's being added to what? blink.gif
wolfi1412
well, it means that you half like it and half don't.
xrninja
uhh.....maybe i'm not seeing something but that doesn't make sense to me at all. half like what and how is that a math question? blink.gif
wolfi1412
that's not a math question, it's like your opinion... well the choices in this poll are only yes and no, so there should be "half yes and half No"
Sycia
I hate math in general, but I love algebra. o_O?????
wolfi1412
I love beginner's algebra, my bro said that gr. 11 or gr. 12 algebra doesn't even have numbers on it.
Sycia
I don't know... my math is screwy.

Simple subtraction I can mess up. XD

But when it comes to killer formulas to solve, that took my 4 math-expert friends + tution teacher about 10 minutes and 2 A4-sized pages worth of scribbling... I took only 1 minute to solve. No working at all, just the answer.

And to note again, I can even go wrong with simple subtraction. XD
wolfi1412
oh, do you know how to find a square root of a number without using a calculator?
Sycia
................................ *forgot what's a square root*

>_< Show me the symbol and I might recall. I've got 2 in mind but I'm mixed up on which one it is.

*Has not touched math in 6 years*
wolfi1412
hm... I think it looks like the dividing sign but got the little tweak on the end..
Sycia
Oh that.

>_< No I can't do that without a calculator. Unless you're talking about the basic stuff.
wolfi1412
I memorized a little bit of it.
Sycia
Just to note... I've got a very bad memory, which is why my times tables were never fully remembered. >_<

And remembering formulas in math is killa. Like how to calculate the area/ circumference of a circle and blah blah. Uh the horror. Passing math paper was .... like the sun turning purple during midday.

.... I think I'll get nightmares of numerals tonight...
wolfi1412
circumference of a circle:
pi X d

area of a circle:
pi x rxr
Lord Odenetheus
Odenetheus = very good at maths = hates maths = Odenetheus
wolfi1412
what's the legend of this "Odenetheus"?
Prinz_Zoisit
QUOTE(Lord Odenetheus @ Oct 4 2004, 08:24 AM)
Odenetheus = very good at maths = hates maths = Odenetheus

is that one of your qualities, or just the translation?
wolfi1412
I think it's the qualities.
Prinz_Zoisit
ok^^
wolfi1412
back to "math"...
can someone tells me about what is rational numbers and irrational numbers?
Gashole
rational: 1, 2, 3
irrational: 1.432, 1/3, pi

Just kidding. I'm not really sure. tongue.gif
xrninja
rational numbers can be written in fraction form as the ratio of two integers, irrational numbers can only be written in decimal form, not fraction. so:

rational: 1, 2, 3, 1/2, 27/43...
irrational: 1.405963068246835 (unless there IS a fraction for that blink.gif), e, pi, 344.39485...etc

gashole was close biggrin.gif
Gashole
I don't even know what integers and other stuff are. As I get older my brain gets worse and worse.
wolfi1412
ohh.. ic.. thx!
Prinz_Zoisit
QUOTE(xrninja @ Oct 6 2004, 06:44 AM)
rational numbers can be written in fraction form as the ratio of two integers, irrational numbers can only be written in decimal form, not fraction. so:

rational: 1, 2, 3, 1/2, 27/43...
irrational: 1.405963068246835 (unless there IS a fraction for that blink.gif), e, pi, 344.39485...etc

gashole was close biggrin.gif

what is with 1/3 = 0,333333333333... ?
wolfi1412
that's an irrational.....right?
xrninja
1/3 is rational number; it's a repeating decimal, which all have fractional forms. something like pi doesn't, because the closest you get to pi is 22/7 i think, but it's still not exact, so pi doesn't have a fractional form and is an irrational number.
Gashole
Well, 1/3 is rational.
0.3333333333333333 can be shorten to 0.33, so it should be rational as well.

Then again, I'm no good at math. Don't quote me.
Ask the master. biggrin.gif

Edit: look above for answer
Squall20XX
I hate maths so much , i have to do it even at college!
Queenozelight
Please don't talk about advanced maths....I really really suck at maths...I can't do a division without a calculator.....But I actually managed to get 21,5/40 last year blink.gif I didn't even know I could!!!
wolfi1412
that's weird... oh well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.