Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Maths, Do You Hate It?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Open Talk
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Lady Battousai
Love them.
Prinz_Zoisit
od you still remember that i was posting something about "I won't vote in this thread"....

-> now i voted for yes, cause i learned to appreciate maths... YOU CAN LOVE IT IF YOU PAY ATTENTION -> maths can be so wonderful, though it is not life!!
Riza Babe
I hate maths smile.gif
Ailuro
I love mathematics. Algebra is my favorite. I'm in Algebra 2 right now and its so fun. I'm just glad we can use graphing calculators. Though, I'd have to say my favorite subject right now is Chemistry because it combines both mathematics and science. happy.gif
Gashole
I wonder if you'll still think the same next year, Ail. smile.gif

But it's not that bad. The hardest part is getting started. I generally start my homework 30 minutes after I think about doing it. In the meantime I organize unnecessarily.
xrninja
yeah, algebra 2 was fine but i crashed and burned in trig and pre-calc. but my grade this year in calc is a little better than me last year's grade in trig....i think i just like calc a little bit more. hw sucks though because it takes an hour or more per assignment and i have midterms for calc on tuesday and wednesday. but i have newspaper deadline night until 9 on monday and i'll have no time to study, aaahh.

.....never mind, i don't really like calc.
Ailuro
Don't say that.. that's scary. I don't wanna hate math. o_o
Gashole
Fear/loathe math as normal people do! laugh.gif
Ailuro
But.. I don't wanna be normal. D:
ScaR
well... i have an annoying neighbour called "matte" and it is a shortening for "maths" in swedish.... biggrin.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif ...
Kihaku
I used to like it...now I hate and dislike it. And I hardly ever do my homework..perhaps that's a reason why I'm so bad at it. Oh at least I'm soon free from it...
Oh... must be nice to be called maths...
Quistis88
I USED TO LIKE MATH WHEN IT WAS EASY. I loved Trigonometry, too, now that I mention it.

AND THEN DEGREES CEASED TO EXIST.

I can't do Math. I can do simple Math. This is why I will never be the doctor I've always wanted to be . . . ;___;
Crowley16
Math is a great tool!

Whenever you're in company, just spout off a few equations, or drop hints that you studied maths, then everyone INSTANTLY thinks you're dead smart...
same as programming, although people also automatically assume you know everything about computers and then will proceed to bombard you with stupid questions about printers/mp3 players/monitors...
Prinz_Zoisit
QUOTE(Crowley16 @ Nov 8 2004, 11:52 AM)

Whenever you're in company, just spout off a few equations, or drop hints that you studied maths, then everyone INSTANTLY thinks you're dead smart...
same as programming, although people also automatically assume you know everything about computers and then will proceed to bombard you with stupid questions about printers/mp3 players/monitors...

is it really THAT easy?? ^^;;;;;;;;;;;
Crowley16
I never said you had to understand any of the things you say...
Prinz_Zoisit
QUOTE(Crowley16 @ Nov 9 2004, 04:17 PM)
I never said you had to understand any of the things you say...

i mean " is it really THAT easy" that ppl say such things and think of you like that so easily if you give hints that you studied maths?
Fayt
Math is annoying and fun at the same time. laugh.gif
mei_tenshi
QUOTE(Fayt @ Nov 9 2004, 07:42 PM)
Math is annoying and fun at the same time. laugh.gif

Math got annoying once I hit Calc. Got through both years of AP, but I'm still wondering if Newton really had to invent calculus to fit his theories.

Off topic: Is it just me or was did Fayt post on Nov 9 and it just somehow got pushed to the top of the topic list? As I recall, it's Dec. 10...and on the Open Chat list it said Fayt posted on Dec. 10... blink.gif
~FMAgurl~
i dont hate it...but its not my favorite either...its kinda easy for me....right now
althe
I hate math. It got me a B. My worst subject. dry.gif
hitokiri
math isnt fun, but it is the basis of all scientific study. so i really have no problem with the concept that allows me to have video games.... yay math...... laugh.gif
Gashole
If B is bad then high school math will suck for you. huh.gif
althe
Lol, I know. Just taking math for my education.

Since we're on a math subject...can anyone tell me what's Calculus? It has something to do with a caculator....or maybe it doesn't.
Gashole
d/dx(sinh^-1x)=1/(1+-x^2)^-1/2

^ Can you read this? I can't.
althe
Unless you're trying to make some freakish smilely face, all I see are numbers and signs.
Quistis88
Definition of Calculus, kids.
althe
Haha, thanks Quistis...Well now I know that Calculus:

Has something to do with math.

I think I'll be content with that answer till I hit 12th grade.
mei_tenshi
@Quis: Oy. Don't remind me.... wacko.gif
anime_manga_fan
neh, its ok. I love algebra (I'm in grade 7 remember that)! I like dividing it and whatnot (I hate spelling so I suck at it)! Its just so much fun! Its like learning some of the alphabet! tongue.gif
Gashole
Hate to break this to you, but Algebra isn't half as hard as Calculus is. Or maybe my brain started deteriorating after Algebra 2.
Bling_bling_Angel
QUOTE(Queenozelight @ Oct 3 2004, 02:14 AM)
I personally      maths...Do you?

huh.gif I'm okay with algebra and so forth...

But advance math and calc? Awww, <censored!!!> NO! mad.gif
Shinobi Alchemist
Maths are quite fun ( if you understand it ).Many of my classmates don't even understand algebra huh.gif ( just a little happy.gif )
I don't know if it is just MY classmates or thousands of other students all over Sweden tongue.gif
But for those who understand this "complicated" maths will have no problems with it biggrin.gif

By the way, check this out:
AlphonseRules
I love math. It is the universal language.
mongooseboi
well ill be taking calc AB next year as a junior, and all the previous math classes i've taken (including trig, geo, algebra 1-2, precalc) have been relatively easy. im expecting to expierence hell next year.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
I hate math with the fire of a thousand suns. It was always my bitter enemy in school. I can do everyday things like balance my check book, measure things out for cooking etc but I hate to have to sit down and acutally do problems. mad.gif
ἀρχή
You haven't dealt with math until you do mathematical logic tongue.gif

I've been reading the foundations of arithmetic and still haven't fully determined what the number "one" refers to laugh.gif
Quistis88
QUOTE(Envy's lil' miniskirt @ Jun 17 2005, 03:40 PM)
I hate math with the fire of a thousand suns. It was always my bitter enemy in school. I can do everyday things like balance my check book, measure things out for cooking etc but I hate to have to sit down and acutally do problems. mad.gif

Same here. Let's be twins. tongue.gif

QUOTE(arche @ Jun 17 2005, 04:14 PM)
You haven't dealt with math until you do mathematical logic tongue.gif

Oh, gosh . . . *remembers Logic class*
silver bg
i heart math
The_Fire_Alchemist
I said I hate math but I love charts & things like that, but the rest is Evil! mad.gif
ἀρχή
I'm terrible at math, but I do love it. Also as an analyst, I constantly work with numbers and statistics. Go figure, I'm a guy who nearly failed out of math class, avoided it all I could in college and now that's pretty much all I do for work ohmy.gif
Prinz_Zoisit
can you imagine that......

if you ask a methematician what the exact probability that somebody arrives at a train-station for example is(and you know that he will arrive at a certain time)...
-> he would always answer this question with "probability=0"..... isn't this terrible? this imagination was very shocking for me...

let me explain:

if you are speaking of "probabilities", you are always talking about "time intervals"(like the "probability that he will arrive from 10 to 11 o'clock" for example)... or the "probability that he will arrive from 10:45 to 10:55" etc...
of course the probability will get smaller and smaller the more exactly the time is that you are asking the mathematician...

so would be the probability that the man would arrive at the train-station at 5 o'clock(an exact time-information) ..... equal ZERO!!

so the question is only "answerable" by appoximation(a medium of statistics)...

isn't that AWESOME?!?!?!
It somehow reminds me of the "Heisenberg'sche uncertainity relation"
^^^^
silver bg
ok..........................................
foolmetal alchemist
I'm not bad at Math but I still hate it.
Electra
Math has been my best subject since... 1st grade? XDDD Haven't done algebra... And for 7th grade.... I've been place in the highest class (people told me Algebra 1 is the highest) >o< So yea... It's Okay~
Zidan_chan
I despise math with a passion, yet I still enjoy chemistry. (How the hell does that work out. I was really good at conversions yet I nearly died in algebra.) It really annoys me though. I have a knack for learning foreign languages with ease and I am pretty musically inclined. One of teachers remarked that people who are good with languages and music are usually good at math. Hahaha, I wish. I would dread ever waking hour of algebra. Thank goodness I am in University now and only have to take one math oriented class which can be a science class. Chemistry here I come!
The RZA
i have no problem with math seeing as how im good in it
CodeAlchemist
Math is awesome, I'm a computer nerd, and a physics buff, so math just comes naturally as a part of the equation.
ἀρχή
QUOTE(Prinz_Zoisit @ Jun 18 2005, 04:47 PM)
can you imagine that......

if you ask a methematician what the exact probability that somebody arrives at a train-station for example is(and you know that he will arrive at a certain time)...
-> he would always answer this question with "probability=0"..... isn't this terrible? this imagination was very shocking for me...

let me explain:

if you are speaking of "probabilities", you are always talking about "time intervals"(like the "probability that he will arrive from 10 to 11 o'clock" for example)... or the "probability that he will arrive from 10:45 to 10:55" etc...
of course the probability will get smaller and smaller the more exactly the time is that you are asking the mathematician...

so would be the probability that the man would arrive at the train-station at 5 o'clock(an exact time-information) ..... equal ZERO!!

so the question is only "answerable" by appoximation(a medium of statistics)...

isn't that AWESOME?!?!?!
It somehow reminds me of the "Heisenberg'sche uncertainity relation"
^^^^
[snapback]194606[/snapback]

Probabilities are not an exact science as people often think. It's funny how different theories on the value of probabilities can bring up different results for the same problem. This is especially true with weather forecasting and economic forecasting. I don't really know the details of it all as I'm not a statistician, but I am lightly familiar with the difficulties people have had mathematically linking probability studies to real world analysis (logical probability vs. statistical probability)
Dreakon
Too much homework! mad.gif
Lyndsie_Elric
Eh... I do okay in math... I would understand it more if my math teacher would just shut up once and a while and really help you understand something you're doing wrong... The only reason I voted hate was because of my math teacher.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.