Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Maths, Do You Hate It?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Open Talk
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
WhiteMike
Math is ok, im enjoying it a lot more this year then my past years. Remember kids, the fun math is calculus!
ἀρχή
QUOTE(Dreakon @ Jun 22 2005, 10:13 AM)
Too much homework! mad.gif
[snapback]197183[/snapback]

You don't know what homework is until you have a $100K grant hit your desk that's due to be submitted the next day. tongue.gif
Prinz_Zoisit
QUOTE(arche @ Jun 22 2005, 09:22 AM)
This is especially true with weather forecasting and economic forecasting.
[snapback]197136[/snapback]

*sigh... yes.. weather forecasting... can you believe that the meteorologicians are still forecasting weather by comparing the "current constellation of clouds" etc with a constellation which is "almost similar" to it(which "happened in the past and what happened after it")...
ἀρχή
The other problem with probability is that in order for it to be truly accurate, you have to have 100% knowledge of all possible outcomes. That's easy with dice, but not so in regular events.
Prinz_Zoisit
QUOTE(arche @ Jun 22 2005, 08:22 PM)
The other problem with probability is that in order for it to be truly accurate, you have to have 100% knowledge of all possible outcomes. That's easy with dice, but not so in regular events.
[snapback]197304[/snapback]

but humans will never be able to achieve all kind of information because of the physical "Heisenberg relation law"....
Sirya
I do love math - except the parts I don't understand tongue.gif

Love algebra and stuff like that smile.gif
Alchemist_Sami
I HATE maths soooo much!!!!! I hate everything about it!!!! My maths teacher is a [insert swear word]head. He give us alll like 10 pages of homework a night!!!!!!!!!!! and btw, im not exaggerating!!!!
*growls*
man, i hate him sooo much..........
ohh well i suppose its just one of those things you've got to learn about no matter what so why bother getting annoyed about it
Automne
I agree with you, Sami, I hate maths too! I really don't understand most parts about it! It actually depends on my teacher, the one I've got this year was great, funny and all! I'm gonna miss him! Normally maths teachers are so boring and serious!
inuyasha's girldriend kagome
I hate math it's too hard sometime and i love when it's easy i'll be done like say in 3 minutes out of the 75 minutes in there and most of the time my brain will kill me for like the rest of the school hours. tongue.gif blink.gif dry.gif sad.gif wink.gif unsure.gif
DonnaDelDrago
I like math. I always did. Although I was never good at it.
inuyasha's girlfriend kagome
i say my math/algebra class sucks no sometime we can use the calculator(10%of the time)and (90% we have to use our brain)and i always have my calcular under my desk/cell phone to use and i set like 10 rows from the the front and my teacher he won't even know if i'm using one or not which is funny when he comes i'll have to tuck it between my legs and make it look like i'm using my hands to solve the problem. huh.gif rolleyes.gif unsure.gif smile.gif tongue.gif
zombie
inuyasha's girlfriend kagome u r lucky that u can use your heads i have 2 use the calculator all the time, i dont want 2. and yes i do like maths.
Blade Alchemist
I hate math it krispy fries my brain. I'm never able to think straight after algebra or any class involving math.
Prinz_Zoisit
I LOVE TO SOLVE INTEGRALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!^^

I LOVE INTEGRALS...!^^^^

-> DON'T FORGET THE CONSTANT "+C" AT THE END OF A PRINCIPAL FUNCTION^^^^^^^^^^^^
AlphonseRules
I'm more of a derivative person myself. laugh.gif
Prinz_Zoisit
QUOTE(AlphonseRules @ Jul 15 2005, 06:00 PM)
I'm more of a derivative person myself. laugh.gif
[snapback]214541[/snapback]

ah okay...!^^
DonnaDelDrago
QUOTE(Prinz_Zoisit @ Jul 15 2005, 06:24 PM)
I LOVE INTEGRALS...!^^^^

Me too!
And I really like differential equations...

but I'm also very glad that I don't have math tests anymore. tongue.gif
Prinz_Zoisit
QUOTE(DonnaDelDrago @ Jul 16 2005, 07:56 PM)
QUOTE(Prinz_Zoisit @ Jul 15 2005, 06:24 PM)
I LOVE INTEGRALS...!^^^^

Me too!
And really like differential equations...

but I'm also very glad that I don't have math tests anymore. tongue.gif
[snapback]215505[/snapback]

*sigh.. in the past.... i didn't like mathematics as much as i do now.... at that time mathematics was more like "learning by heart" for me...

but the more and more i understand things like infinity or things like "lim -> 0" with epsilon etc, mathematics got more and more interesting for me....
Karo
Math is hard. i have to take geometry this year, which sucks dry.gif
zombie
i sleep in maths know and im still in front of the class with the work.
fullmetal_4eva
I don't hate math!!! I'm really good at it.
elalquimistafilosofal
i like it, (also my study the math is basic laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
ἀρχή
An interesting question is what exactly is a number?

Take the number 9. What does this actually represent or rather, to what does 9 refer? I think an even more interesting question is whether numbers and mathematical equations are known a priori.

Take:

2+2=4

This seems so intuitive that it feels as though it is known without thinking about it. We don't really go through any calculations to determine what this equation is, but in fact there is a calculation required. In essense this is:

(1+1)+(1+1)=2+2=4

Is this what actually happens when we calculate things? With 2+2=4, it may appear automatic and possible a prior, but what if we take 1,457+1,984=3,441? Is this calculation automatic? Can this be known a prior or is this a posteriori? Perhaps this is an example of an a posteriori necessary statement.

Some thoughts on the foundations of mathematics.
Mrs. Edward Elric
Math.....er-Algebra would probably be one of my strongest subjects, even though I do good in it, I still hate it >.<

@arche- Wow, your explainations about math really made me think.....it's kinda weird if you take random numbers and put it that way.....
ἀρχή
QUOTE(Mrs. Edward Elric @ Sep 7 2005, 08:12 AM)
@arche- Wow, your explainations about math really made me think.....it's kinda weird if you take random numbers and put it that way.....
[right][snapback]276849[/snapback][/right]

That's based on foundational thoughts about mathematics in general. There are people who still question what a number actually is. I would refer anyone interested in the subject to Frege's Foundations of Arithmetic or Quine's Mathematical Logic.
Laffe
nahh i love math.. =) its my best subject
Escuro
I sort of have to love it... It's the subject I do the best in =P
zombie
ok so i dont like maths today, i have a test
Willow
Math.. -twitches- is so confusing to understand...... @_@
Prinz_Zoisit
QUOTE(arche @ Sep 5 2005, 02:51 AM)
Is this what actually happens when we calculate things? With 2+2=4, it may appear automatic and possible a prior, but what if we take 1,457+1,984=3,441? Is this calculation automatic? Can this be known a prior or is this a posteriori? Perhaps this is an example of an a posteriori necessary statement.

Some thoughts on the foundations of mathematics.
[right][snapback]274132[/snapback][/right]

...yes it's a posteriori cause we don't actually calculate one by one... but it's our experience which says that it's allowed.... we believe in the "goodness" of mathematics... that rules wouldn't change if you want to calculate 1457+1985=3442 together!^^

it's like crying and laughing.... you don't have to learn it after you're born.... it's just inside of you......^^^^^^
Blitz
Hmmm, I'm good at math so I can't say I hate it but, lots of my friends do.
Kyros
Maths are some of teh best classes evar! Last year, I took ap calculus and go 6 hours of college credit! yayzorz! *thows out pary balloons*
mei_tenshi
A full year of AP Calc, and you only got 6 hours of credit? blink.gif
zombie
I use to be really good at maths until I had to use a calculator. I use to know what 7*7*7 was now I have to think about I its the same with all the time tables that I once new and by the way its 343.
study every time tables again and it might come back to you again.did you suddenly forgot them like they got washed out of your head.
Kyros
QUOTE(mei_tenshi @ Sep 10 2005, 08:09 PM)
A full year of AP Calc, and you only got 6 hours of credit? blink.gif
[right][snapback]280630[/snapback][/right]

Well, the class was easy, and it was only like 45 mins a day so whatever. Now, with that, the ap us history credit, and the spanish credit I will have coming in, I will almost be a sophomore after one semester. I think I would just need like one or two more credits but oh well. No rush.
zombie
i had to use coputers and calculators in year 9 maths (i went from a A im mats to a D) now im in year 10 and im only just getting back to the way i was in year 8. what I dont get is I failed maths in year 9 and they put me in the top maths class.

Edit: on top of that next year im doing 3 lots of maths (the advance course )so in one semester im doing 10 lessons a week then the next only 5. And i sleep in maths 2.
Catalyst
QUOTE(Queenozelight @ Oct 3 2004, 02:14 AM)
I personally hate maths...Do you?
[right][snapback]21485[/snapback][/right]

Hell yes!! I hate math, it's my worst subject
StrawberryShampoo
I use to like math that is until this year. I somehow managed to get into honours geometry which wouldn't be a problem except for the fact that the teacher is senile and doesn't know what the heck she's talking about plus she chooses favorites and I'm not one of them, because I'm not one of her little cheerleaders...
zombie
now im only doing 1 lot of maths because i needed the room for other subjects
MasterKris
I hate math, but for some reason, I'm good at it...... it's my most loath subject but it's my best skilled subject.... I get A's in Algebra and is recommended for pre-IB Geometry.... I hate math.... (worst off, it's my morning class.... sad.gif )
Malcolm_X
i hate math, i never get it dry.gif its to numbery and confusing..
Chibka
Ugh... math... makes me want to hurl. It's my worst subject and the most boring. But I only have to take it for about another two years. happy.gif
JoshP1389
I used to love math. All the balancing of two equations, linear equations, and simple, basic parabolas were fun.

...then trigonometry and statistics came by and raped it all for me.

D:

I heard pre-calc and discrete math can have its moments in being fun and bad... well, from what I heard.
*~vachi~*
uhhh, I dont hate math, Im usually good, but I guess it have been easy stuff...although, I think I kinda like it... blink.gif

maximeb
I like maths *love* I'm a Scientique ^^ LoL

No maths = No PC and internet xD
Popogeejo
I can't do math to save my life but I don't hate me or it. It would be stupid IMO.
I have a mind for History and Science rather than Math.
maximeb
sorry.................
Popogeejo
Why are you sorry?
No_One
unsure.gif I don't hate it I just really dislike it.
Algabra is the best (of the worst) I'm so good at it.
I got the highest grade on a test and over 100% for my grade last samesster.
But I HATE geomatry and trig. but I still do fine. (B level)

Simply put Don't like it but good at it. lol
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.