Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Anime > Let's discuss your fav anime series here!
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Blitz
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱 Suzumiya Haruhi no Yūutsu?), produced by the Japanese animation studio Kyoto Animation and directed by Tatsuya Ishihara, contained 14 episodes which aired in Japan between April 2 and July 2, 2006.
(Source - Wiki)

Plot Summary: On the first day of high school a beautiful girl named Haruhi Suzumiya introduces herself as having "no interest in ordinary humans". She asks for any aliens, time travelers, sliders or espers to join her. Watching her weird behaviour is Kyon who sits in front of Haruhi and is the only person who talks to her. When Kyon comments about Haruhi's joining every club in school and then quitting he unwittingly gives Haruhi an idea to start her own after school club. Thereafter Kyon and several others find themselves dragged, literally, into the Save our world by Overloading it with fun Suzumiya Haruhi's Brigade (the S.O.S. Brigade for short).

Genres: comedy, mystery, psychological, science fiction, slice of life, supernatural
Themes: otaku, Parody, school
Episodes: 14
Age Rating: Older Teen (Significant bloody violence and/or swearing and/or nudity)
(Source - ANN)

-----------------

ZOMG... That was one of the weirdest but funniest episodes of any anime I've seen for a while... It's almost as WTF as Excel Saga but better...
So, my brother made me watch it. The first 5 minutes I was going what the hell is this? Then it hits me, but I don't wanna spoil it by telling you guys. The anime is subbed by A.F.K

If you decide to watch this anime, watch the ending dance sequence and compare it to this Gundam version, side by side...

Gundam version - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86B_EJQf_yg...amp;t=t&f=b

This is a large version of the dance sequence -
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qHfYM6HHMdc&...ding%20suzumiya

*sigh* Almost died from laughing at the ending sequence (Gundam version)
MasterKris
The video's been removed... sad.gif
(the Gundam version)
Blitz
QUOTE(MasterKris @ Apr 10 2006, 05:13 PM) [snapback]377636[/snapback]

The video's been removed... sad.gif
(the Gundam version)

Aw, that sucks. It was such a good video, too...

Episode 2 was wtf as well. I really wonder if I'm the only one watching this series...
BakaOnna
I love this series! If you thought the first few episodes were confusing, episode 4 was very confusing since the animators intentionally put them out of order. Very original idea.

Anyway, the Gundam one was really nice. Too bad they removed it. There's another one with this random Asian guy dancing the ending. There's actually a lot of them on youtube. The whole Haruhi fandom is kinda scary, and it's only aired 4 episodes. But I think it's a excellent series.
MasterKris
I watched the first epi and I'm like, "What the crap is this???"
I don't think this series is gonna move me though... but I'm just gonna give it one more shot at epi 4 and see how it really is.

EDIT: Okay... that was random...
Blitz
Episode 5 is out! Have yet to watch it but will after watching House...

BakaOnna - We seem to be the only people into the whole Haruhiism thing at the Hagaren forums, unless MasterKris would like to spread Haruhiism with us? Saw a Japanese guy doing the ending choreography. He had nice fluid movements and now I want to learn the choreography...
MasterKris
^Srry, but no Haruhiism spreadin' for me. I don't really like this anime and it's really not all that funny for me. The only Haruhiism I'm spreadin' will be the one from Ouran High School Host Club.
BakaOnna
I'm really shocked by the popularity of this series. I wouldn't actually even call it "jumping the bandwagon" since it was nonexistant before episode 1 aired. Then when it came out, just 1 episode gained more than thousands of viewers. Just look at all the anime forums and blogs sites. They have over 5 pages of posts over this series. Then look at YouTube. There's so many versions of the ED dance sequence, that it's frightening. I've never seen any anime craze like this until now.

But I realize this anime is an aquired taste, kind of like FLCL and those other parody/comedy/random anime. Anyway, I love it.

Episode 7 was awesome, especially with Kyon's sarcastic commentaries and the FMP references.
Blitz
Nagato and her bogus magic just crackes me up. The way she stopped the cricket in epi 7.

I'm really surprise about the popularity of Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu, too. There's already about 5 LJ communities for it and most forums I go to, there's a thread on it.

Kyon is easily my favorite character. His sarcastic remarks are the best!
Quistis88
I really like what I have seen of this anime so far. The characters are a bit clichéd, but still pretty likable on the whole. The animation and art is quite nice, and the little dance sequence for the end credits is smooth. I am interested to see what Haruhi actually does/is, and how she affects the whole universe, so to speak.

Personally, I dislike the intentional chronology mess for the first 5 episodes. I like to see things in order. Having it this way requires more thinking and makes it confusing.
Toby-Chan
Everyone's been talking about it. I'm through episode five, and I'm oddly failing to see how zomgbrilliant it is.

That twist in five was... special... but then again there's nothing that anime can really do to surprise me anymore.

And all the Moe mocking was still pretty cliche'd moe...
Blitz
Episode eight has been out for a while now.

I about died when I figured out that at the end of the episode that they were doing a Phoenix Wright parody. LOL! Haruhi was Phoenix and Koizumi was Edgeworth.

See here
- Taken from Eribuster_basic's post on the Gamespot forums.
Carnal Malefactor
I like this series. The humor in it seems more sophisticated than that of a lot of anime series... it's almost got an Arrested Development thing going with the reflexiveness and the regular references to other anime. Kyon's narration is also quite funny. It's not quite as funny as FLCL, but it's close.
Blitz
^ Another Haruhi fan! It's kinda too bad that there's only gonna be fourteen episodes. T-T
BakaOnna
Yes, I would have to agree that this anime is an acquired taste, but I love the humor. It's not hahaha funny, but more subtle. But this series ends with 14. I WANT A 2ND SEASON!!!
Carnal Malefactor
Wow, this series really catches you by surprise with how deep and intellectual it is [just watched ep. 13].

Almost reminds me of a later Philip K. Dick book.
Blitz
The Anthrophic Principle reminded me of an argument I had with my friend. If a tree falls down in a forest and no one's there to hear it, was there sound caused the the falling tree?

This series just has everything. Those <Celestials> really reminded me of an Eva scene.
Carnal Malefactor
Bingo. They look just like 'Giant of Light' Adam... only transluscent.
Fushi
I just started watching this a while ago and it's my new obsession. But I've yet to find any one else that watches it...till now! 8D yay!

Sadly tho I'm only at episode 6 (9...) T.T

I did get that first episode right away tho. When they had the little opening credits 'Directed by Suzumiya Haruhi! Other trivial thigns: Kyon' XD I went "Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! it's a-" =) I thought that episode was brilliant. xD
MasterKris
I watched the last episode of Suzumiya Haruhi. I think I'll never get this anime... -__-;;
BakaOnna
I loved the ending! That "sleeping beauty" and snow white scene wins for [spoiler]Best kiss scene! =D [/spoiler] I love this series, and whenever I get the time, I going to watch it in the chronlogical order. happy.gif
Popogeejo
Just about to watch Ep14. It's my understanding that they've only covered 2 of 8 books so I'm strongly hoping for another series.

Having looked on other forums alot of people didn't seem enjoy episode 1 or 9 which I thought were great. the film they made cracked me up with how bad it was and Ep 9 was just nice to se how they act on a fairly normal day.

I like how it's set out with the mixed time frame. It makes the reffrences to past events pay of more IMO.

Yuki is pure awesomeness BTW. I love that stare (not in a pervy way)
Fushi
I just finished watching yesterday. Omg, I love the end! But I really hope they do another series. I want more! >3<

I loved that music from that one scene in the closed space. o.o I need it....

Anywho...come the end of the series, Yuki became my favorite character. Purely because of that fight scene in episode 10. Like OMG THAT WAS WICKED!!! O_O Episode 11 was a good one for her too. ^^

And I myself was touched when...
[spoiler]Haruhi said 'But I thought you found that world to be boring too!' I was like "Oh so, you don't want to change it just for yourself, you want to change it for Kyon too. Awww...:3"[/spoiler]

And God Knows has become one of my favorite songs ever... =D
Zarpia
I fell in love with the series just by the first ep, specially Kyon's narration laugh.gif I love the humor in it. the real ending suck, so i guess it was better to watch it in a non chronological order XD
Popogeejo
Is anyone else reading the short books?
http://project.baka-tsuki.net/index.php?ti...Suzumiya_Haruhi
The Second short novel helps the first episode make more sense.

Bumpnig for Jeebus!
http://anime.miao.us/archives/2006/06/05/769/
An intersting read for folk who say MoHS is over rated. (NANA fans may disapprove...possibly)
Colette
http://tales.namco.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=45513

The anime definately interests me, I'll watch it as soon as I fix my headphones.
Zarpia
I just couldn't stop laughing at the stupidity of this video.
esrz22
Haruhi rocks. One of my favorites. Watched it in chronological order the first time, but airing order is good for rewatching.

Didn't see this here. Haruhi Season 2 in Fall 07. Woot!
Zarpia
I've heard of a second season as well, I hope is true.
Popogeejo
I've heard of a second season as well, I hope is true.

Could be what this is about then....
Blitz
QUOTE(Popogeejo @ Dec 20 2006, 05:23 PM) [snapback]486569[/snapback]

That says The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Haruhiism - North America.... But hopefully there will be a second season.
Popogeejo
QUOTE(Blitz @ Dec 20 2006, 11:28 PM) [snapback]486593[/snapback]
QUOTE(Popogeejo @ Dec 20 2006, 05:23 PM) [snapback]486569[/snapback]

That says North America, though.

...Yeah. I totally knew that. unsure.gif It's probably the English version then.

EDIT
Just to let you guys know, if you go to http://asosbrigade.com/auditions/a.php you can vote for the English voice of Mikuru. The 3rd and 4th are weak but the first is good and the second is pretty damn close to what I had in mind.
The choice of dialogue, totally out of context, is pretty damn funny, IMO.

The video on the site remains to horrible to watch. It's just not right!
Carnal Malefactor
NYORO~N
Popogeejo
Full ending dance (in full)
Molecular Alchemist
QUOTE(Void @ Jan 23 2007, 06:05 PM) [snapback]496896[/snapback]

I'm sorry...it's soo happy...i cant stop watching it laugh.gif *so ashamed*
Tombow
QUOTE(Molecular Alchemist @ Jan 25 2007, 01:26 AM) [snapback]497219[/snapback]
QUOTE(Void @ Jan 23 2007, 06:05 PM) [snapback]496896[/snapback]
I'm sorry...it's soo happy...i cant stop watching it laugh.gif *so ashamed*
I second that!! It's awesome!! XDDD Smoked cheese banzai!! XDDD

*cough* Sorry for the intrusion. tongue.gif
Popogeejo
May 29th you Yankee scum bags get the Collectors box set of Haruhi.
I'm guessing apart from both English dub and Japanese sub you will get the full dance and possibly a gallery of the Mikuru pics (I'm pretty sure the Japanese DVD had that)...Possibly those terrible Videos on Asos.com as well.
Fushi
QUOTE(Popo)
May 29th you Yankee scum bags get the Collectors box set of Haruhi.

May 1st is my birthday, so I'll have the birthday monies for it. >D

They better have the full dance. I'm tired of watching it on youtube. XD
Toby-Chan
What is it that I missed with the whole "Churuya" thing?
Fushi
What is it that I missed with the whole "Churuya" thing?

I don't know the whole details, but there's a doujin of sorts that that is from. It centers around Tsuruya-san, the friend of Mikuru who can't stop laughing.

Once again, I don't know the whole details since I haven't read it myself, I've just seen the images, and those are definitely the images in that video.

And if I'm not mistaken, I think every strip ends with Tsuruya making that expression and going "Nyoro~n" but I may be wrong. A more hardcore fan will have to confirm it and give the full details.

I remember reading an FMA parody of it with Archer on LJ once. XD;
esrz22
All I know is that a guy posts those in the Random Image thread of a board I frequent a lot. And that I like them.
Popogeejo
D:
A review of Haruhi with some rather annoying failed actors/actresses. (Contains clips from the Engish dub ohmy.gif )

*SPOILER*
It sounds horrible apart from Yuki.
Haruka_The_Alchemist
I've seen most of the first episode and thought it was funny and then heard it was licenced by Geneon and decided to wait for the DVDs.-^-^-
Popogeejo
QUOTE(Haruka_The_Alchemist @ Feb 18 2007, 09:04 PM) [snapback]506590[/snapback]
I've seen most of the first episode and thought it was funny and then heard it was licenced by Geneon and decided to wait for the DVDs.-^-^-

I'd watch a bit more than the first ep before you think of getting the DVDs. The rest of the series is very different.
esrz22
Indeed. Haruhi's a great show, but it's not a normal show.
Nepharski
Like the series, hate the fans. Easier to watch knowing the premise going in, though.

And that's all I have to say...about that.
Blitz
Sorry to bump this thread up from the grave but, we might get be getting a live action version of Suzumiya Haruhi. More info. here. I'm not sure if I should be happy or not, though.

Live actions seem to be popping up all over the place these days....
Popogeejo
I think there have been a few.....
http://sos-dan.com/himg/src/1165336110617.jpg
http://sos-dan.com/himg/src/1165337654555.jpg
Although if rumours are right this is from an...errmmm..."mature" reinterpretation of the the series.

--------------------

In some old news:
http://sos-dan.com/
English dub teaser. Apparently it contains some possible spoilers.
Fushi
Jebus chyst, I can't believe all the crap that's coming with the special edition DVDs!!! O.o

Nor how bloody EXPENSIVE they are! O_O (they're gonna be like...$10 more up here in Canadia, I gurantee)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.