Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why Do Girls Get Judged For Reading These?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Manga
Pages: 1, 2
awane
I really want to know why we have to be guys to read/watch the following maga's/animes.

1. Chobits
2. Tenjo Tenge
3. A.I. Love You
4. Love Hina
5. Sensual Fraze

These are only just a few. I know they were originally intended for boys but I get crap on it every day, and I want to know why.
Celestial Shadow
Because...it makes it seem like you like chick schtuff and...schtuff.
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Celestial Shadow @ Mar 24 2006, 10:48 PM) [snapback]368860[/snapback]

Weird... I was under the impression that Chobits and RabuHina are shonen manga...
mei_tenshi
Some of mei's male friends have watched/read a few of the ones listed above, and they have mentioned that those are more geared towards a male audience. But really, one doesn't have to be a certain demographic to watch anything.

Actually, mei has enjoyed several episodes of Love Hina, with the above-mentioned male friends. They were perfectly okay with mei's joining them. The people who criticize you are just narrow-minded.
Toby-Chan
They're pretty much all shonen manga for the fact that they have excessive amounts of fanservice, but really because of their general cuteness factors and largely female casts, they're often assumed to be shoujo, and are widely appealing to both sexes. I don't get why you'd get flack for it.
Celestial Shadow
QUOTE(Void @ Mar 24 2006, 09:50 PM) [snapback]368861[/snapback]

QUOTE(Celestial Shadow @ Mar 24 2006, 10:48 PM) [snapback]368860[/snapback]

Weird... I was under the impression that Chobits and RabuHina are shonen manga...

I meant it makes you seem lesbian I guess.
The Demon Alchemist
Well excuse us girls if we like to watch that stuff and don't want to be called a friggin' lesbian!

I'm a girl, and I'd like to defend my rights to watch these shows as well! I watch Love Hina and I enjoy it very much, yet I'm a GIRL, so what do I know? *sheesh...*
Celestial Shadow
Hey, no one's accusing you...I'm just saying, that's why girls get judged.
The Demon Alchemist
Yeah, but it still makes me mad...sorry if I offended anyone.
Emi-chan
I thought Chobits was shoujo. It only goes for 26 episodes. huh.gif I know the manga's shounen, though.
Quistis88
OMG, I'm a lesbian? Do I have to tell mother?

I know more girls who read/watch those series than I do guys (no, not like that).

^ (look, I'm a pervert)
Toby-Chan
It makes sense. Not most guys are willing to admit that they enjoy something that has high doses of cuteness within it. I guess in Japan, they're more comfortable with that. (In the land of Hello Kitty, cuteness reigns.)

Like my friend who refuses to enjoy Fruits Basket (Well, then again he refuses to enjoy pretty much everything I like, animewise. He held out with hating FMA for about 40 episodes before he finally caved.)
Le Monkey
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Mar 27 2006, 03:59 AM) [snapback]370105[/snapback]

I know more girls who read/watch those series than I do guys (no, not like that).

^ (look, I'm a pervert)

^ohmy.gif!!!!!!

I prefer the cuteness.. Am I weired for prefering cute/fluffy/romantic anime? ph34r.gif
Chibka
QUOTE(le monkey @ Mar 27 2006, 04:05 PM) [snapback]370307[/snapback]

QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Mar 27 2006, 03:59 AM) [snapback]370105[/snapback]

^ (look, I'm a pervert)

^ohmy.gif!!!!!!

I prefer the cuteness.. Am I weired for prefering cute/fluffy/romantic anime? ph34r.gif

Not at all! Although, I prefer action/fantasy myself... anyway, I read Chobits in 7th grade at the age of 12. I didn't find it that bad. I mean... there were some... questionable parts. But I don't think only guys should read it. I mean, for Heaven's sake... it was written/drawn by a group of women !
Colette
I'm a straight girl and I laughed my ass off reading Love Hina.

Su is just... <3
Celestial Shadow
*Sighs* What I was trying to say is...A lot of times, those animes have high doses of sexual schtuff, you know, hentai or ecchi moments that mostly men would enjoy. So if you're a girl and you read that, I suppose people would think you like chicks or are a perv or something.
Toby-Chan
In theory. But it also goes the other way, where if guys start to enjoy something romantic or cute, then they're clearly pansies. (That's probably more of an issue in the west.)
Celestial Shadow
Yeah, either way, if you live in a Western country and read those, you're kind of screwed. So you gotta say "Forget them" and read it anyway if you want to.
Toby-Chan
Well, there's also the third taboo in them for any gender that if you read manga then you're clearly an illiterate trendwhore, a japanophile and a rabid otaku fanperson.

So hide your manga inside hollowed out copies of Catcher in the Rye.
Celestial Shadow
Well that problem's always one I'm dealing with. And Toby dear, maybe you should suggest what a NORMAL manga/anime reading/watching person should do, not a thespian or writer tongue.gif
Toby-Chan
QUOTE(Celestial Shadow @ Mar 28 2006, 07:58 PM) [snapback]370765[/snapback]

Well that problem's always one I'm dealing with. And Toby dear, maybe you should suggest what a NORMAL manga/anime reading/watching person should do, not a thespian or writer tongue.gif

You make it sound like I really am cultured or something. I've actually been horrible with reading actual literature lately, and it's a joke among my friends that gets really annoying. It probably goes to prove the opposite point that anime/manga kills the attention span, since I haven't read many novels lately.

*In a books store*
Me: *Browses*
Friend: Hey Margo, the Manga's over there. *Points*
Me: STFU! t>_<t

That's why you hide your manga in the disguise of 'proper' literature, much akin to grown men hiding their superman comics inside playboy magazines so they won't be laughed at.
Venus Alchemist
I've read Love Hina and Chobits... I own all of Chobits and 1-4 of Love Hina. Ya, it's a bit perverted.
Love Hina is funny though and I would recommend it and Chobits has such a cute story.

QUOTE(Celestial Shadow @ Mar 28 2006, 07:58 PM) [snapback]370765[/snapback]

How about FMA? wink.gif
I know this question is directed to Toby, but I couldn't help from answering...
Senefen
lol Love Hina makes me cringe. I read it all anyway.
Chobits is the only manga me and my semi-manga friends have all read biggrin.gif
Carnal Malefactor
I'll just add that I think Ken Akamatsu [Rabu Hina, Negima] is a complete hack as a writer.
Sharingan Serpent
Is it wrong to watch or read Yaoi sometimes I know that this question has been used but I thought it would be...Kazaya Minekura the creator of Gensomaden Saiyuki did some of that stuff too didn't she blink.gif ? Cause I knida seen parts of Wild Adapter...

Is it wrong to read that type of manga?
Taskinst
I dont think so,
if it's made for people to read and enjoy,
and i enjoy reading it
i dont care if it wrong to read it
Venus Alchemist
QUOTE(Greeneyes Alchemist @ Mar 29 2006, 04:13 PM) [snapback]371081[/snapback]

Is it wrong to watch or read Yaoi sometimes I know that this question has been used but I thought it would be...Kazaya Minekura the creator of Gensomaden Saiyuki did some of that stuff too didn't she blink.gif ? Cause I knida seen parts of Wild Adapter...

I know plenty of people who read yaoi, so your not alone. I personally don't care for it as much, but I'll read it on occasion. ph34r.gif
Celestial Shadow
QUOTE(Greeneyes Alchemist @ Mar 29 2006, 04:13 PM) [snapback]371081[/snapback]

Morally, likely it is.
Sharingan Serpent

I knew it...I'm a strange little child..sleep.gif
Carnal Malefactor
You're not a 'little' anything.

Sharingan Serpent
Really then what am I? huh.gif

Edit: No wait...would someone like to delete this post for me...?
Automne
What the...?

Two ultimate rules:

Don't like, don't read/watch. Like, read/watch.

You suddenly think you're weird because someone you don't even know, if I'm not mistaken, told you 'Yes, morally, it is'? No offence, but it looks like you've got some dependance problems...May I ask how old you are?
Sharingan Serpent
No I don't have dependence problems...I'm fifteen if you must know...happy.gif;; I just have personal social problems...

Now off that type of topic...I also get judged by reading gorry bloodly horror manga as well happy.gif
Kitty Alchemist
i don't know why we got judge? a lot of my friends always ask me the same question and i just tell it good or funny.
awane
Hey.... mellow.gif ...heh heh....Sorry I haven't been able to be on to check out my topic...But thanks alot for your opinions and stuff. It's nice to know I've got people who are on the same side of the battle as myself....Words of advice to all Barne's & Noble is having a sale 30% of all manga's. Woot! Yeah and they overstocked on Full Metal Alchemist, Sensual Fraze, and Tengo Tenge. So There even cheaper to but online! .....Yeah I'll just go back to blending in to the background... dry.gif

QUOTE(Greeneyes Alchemist @ Apr 1 2006, 02:28 AM) [snapback]372160[/snapback]

No I don't have dependence problems...I'm fifteen if you must know...happy.gif;; I just have personal social problems...

Now off that type of topic...I also get judged by reading gorry bloodly horror manga as well happy.gif

T_T I know how you feel!!! Especially from older people. That is why whenever I receive a comment from an older person on it, I politely reply "Thank you for your concern, but I rather sit here and read what you call 'bad literature' then sit around waiting for 'good literature' to come out. Because by the time that happens I'll be old and need to find large print books, which would be cutting into my time to complain about the new generations taste in 'bad literature'."

Don't double post, please.
Sharingan Serpent
UmmmmI hate to bring this up but it's very bad to double post... laugh.gif
Keoni
I really don't get it, sure Love Hina is a bit perverted... just a bit? But I thought Chobits to be quite mellow.
I love chobits! (point's at avatar) Chii is really adorable. The only shocking thing for me was the location of the ON-switch blink.gif

Oh and I read some yaoi, but it was by accident, and it freaked me out! (I'm too young to see this! Aaaaah!)

Anywayz if you get stupid remarks about it, just tell them it's really nice and you like it so bugger off! ph34r.gif
MonsterEnvy
Love Hina is disturbingly cute!!!! biggrin.gif
Don't think my parents would love it though...

Anyway, I think that it's shocking that girls would get flak for it... everyone that I know (other than myself) who reads Love Hina and those others are girls. (I get more flak than they do for loving the 'cute' mangas as much as action ones like FMA, Bleach, and Naruto) It's interesting to know that the situation is reversed in most places.
Celestial Shadow
QUOTE(SinLuxuria @ Mar 31 2006, 11:09 AM) [snapback]372153[/snapback]

You suddenly think you're weird because someone you don't even know, if I'm not mistaken, told you 'Yes, morally, it is'? No offence, but it looks like you've got some dependance problems...May I ask how old you are?
Hey, I said "Morally LIKELY it is" Just saying that's probably what society thinks, not what I think necessarily, or what's important.
Fayth Prophecy
I don't have any problems when it comes to those kinds of manga, since most of my friends are gys and they could care less, but I do get judged when I read stuff like Gravitation and all those other shonen-ai/yaoi mangas.
beyondredemption
Hmm...these are very cutsey, but I only know one guy who's read Love Hina, and the rest of my friends who read Chobits and Love Hina are girls...so maybe we're all secret perverts? I have to think about this...oh, my GOD! We must all be lesbians because we like that stuff! *laughs evilly and sarcasticly*
Kel
haha. I love love hina and chobits (A.I. love you I have never read but I saw an ad for it like "wtf") Chobits was intended for guys. It's kinda a shojo/shounen mix. it's appealing to both! (I know guys who are OBSESSED with it) as for love hina the anime isnt that bad. But the manga is pretty perverted. Most guys I know are into both lol. I personally like both (does that make me a lesbian? w/e) lol. I think both are good and if you like them, w/e! you like them! XD
MeLRizA
so far, i know more girls read love hina and chobits... love hina has lots of funny scenes and chii is adorable, i guess this's why...

doesn't mean that girls are lesbians when they read these.. laugh.gif after all, im a girl too, not a lesbian =X
Jo21
well... i watched chobits before... no da... My very first nosebleed, as in like in animes, came from. no da. however, I AM STILL NOT A PERVERT SO DON'T GET THE WRONG IDEA! NO DA! dry.gif
Hats
o_o; maybe I'm an exception...? I've never been judged by anyone for reading any kind of manga. ^^; Granted most of my friends are guys, but they really could care less. ohmy.gif And even if I was to be judged for it, I still doubt I'd care happy.gif
Sharingan Serpent
QUOTE(awane @ Apr 2 2006, 09:12 PM) [snapback]373550[/snapback]

QUOTE(Greeneyes Alchemist @ Apr 1 2006, 02:28 AM) [snapback]372160[/snapback]

T_T I know how you feel!!! Especially from older people. That is why whenever I receive a comment from an older person on it, I politely reply "Thank you for your concern, but I rather sit here and read what you call 'bad literature' then sit around waiting for 'good literature' to come out. Because by the time that happens I'll be old and need to find large print books, which would be cutting into my time to complain about the new generations taste in 'bad literature'."

Don't double post, please.

Yes I do that too...but I just say "For the record no I am not gay and yes I am reading a strange book where all the main characters die horrible deaths now go away I must continue to read" although I wouldn't actully say that...that usually happens when I'm in Zonaki Mode
edward_elric_240989
i agree we shouldn't be judged on what we read or watch
IPB Image
Popogeejo
QUOTE(edward_elric_240989 @ Jun 7 2006, 11:54 PM) [snapback]407892[/snapback]

i agree we shouldn't be judged on what we read or watch
IPB Image

Why did you add that pic to your post? Stick it in your sig if you really want it to appear in every post you make.

Anywyas I don't think gender really matters when it comes to maga and anime. both can enjoy then eaqualy.
Being judged on the content though is a diffrent matter. We all do it anyway, even if you think you don't. We judge people more by the content of the media they watch/read than the actual media itself.(By media I mean things like TV as one form of Media and books as another. not the News kind of Media.)

If you read a Manga that had racist overtones then I would judge you on that as equaly if you read a Novel with the same overtones.
bass153
im a boy and frankly i dont care . so what girls read manga. i dont get why people judge people on what they read.
xironlung
I'm always just called a loser for reading any kind of manga, especially in school. Because most people who are actually going to critisize me for it is people I hardly know, so I don't usually pay any attension to it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.