Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hong Kong Gets Shafted On Fma Movie Dvd
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1) > FMA Conqueror of Shambala Movie
tinlunlau
http://www.tower3a.com/cgi-bin/ut/topic_sh...=1&bpg=1&age=60

basically current specs on Hong Kong dvd release of "FMA: Conqueror of Shambala" will have Dolby 5.1 EX and DTS-es audio tracks in Japanese and a 5.1 Cantonese dub track. 2nd disc will be a single layered disc with only the trailers and a featurette with the producers of the film promoting in Hong Kong. will run around roughly 20 minutes.

otherwise the packaging looks pretty much the same and will include the same 64 page booklet as included on the japanese dvd. limited edition will include a silver pocketwatch.

coming march 31st.
Winkle
So how did they get shafted? Did I miss something?
tinlunlau
QUOTE(Winkle @ Mar 24 2006, 12:52 AM) [snapback]368064[/snapback]

So how did they get shafted? Did I miss something?

special features missing.
yes, hong kong release will be a 2 disc set but the 2nd disc will have very little content.

the movie disc itself is fine and offers better sound than the Japanese release. that's fine. but the special features are really lacking.
Nega FMA
They BETTER NOT do that to the US version when it finally comes out!!!!!!!
tinlunlau
on the other hand, there is a big chance that the US version will not include any DTS (or even DTS-es) tracks on the dvd. i'm buying this HK release for the DTS track. have the speakers for it even if i don't have enough speakers to play it in its full potential. (DTS-es is basically 7.1 audio. i'm 2 speakers short)

on the other hand, there is also a UMD version coming in Hong Kong. granted, it's going to be region 3 and my PSP is most likely unable to play it.

IPB Image
tinlunlau
weeee~!!! just bought the dvd today.
costed me $23.99 (canadian).

a real shame they skimped out on the special features but everything else looks nice. gonna read that 64 page booklet. hahaha~!
sorry if my photos don't look all that good....had no place to put it.
Riza Mustang
lucky!!!! tinlinlau how did you get it for $23.99 CAD??? because all the shops i looked a in Vancouvert cost at least $100+CAD
tinlunlau
QUOTE(Riza Mustang @ Apr 7 2006, 06:13 AM) [snapback]375843[/snapback]

lucky!!!! tinlinlau how did you get it for $23.99 CAD??? because all the shops i looked a in Vancouvert cost at least $100+CAD

it's not that expensive. this is the retail price they were selling it for.
i only bought the movie only. i don't plan to get the boxset of the series.
i already downloaded 3 different dubs of the series. no point in buying the tv series boxset.

asunder
QUOTE(tinlunlau @ Apr 7 2006, 04:46 AM) [snapback]375895[/snapback]

i already downloaded 3 different dubs of the series. no point in buying the tv series boxset.

http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/...pid-1004163254/
the taiwan version is only ~$21 USD.....
tinlunlau....i'm assuming you didn't get the "complete edition/limited edition"?
tinlunlau
QUOTE(asu @ Apr 7 2006, 12:18 PM) [snapback]375897[/snapback]

tinlunlau....i'm assuming you didn't get the "complete edition/limited edition"?

i didn't.
i got the 2 disc set witht he illustration collection cards, the guidebook poster and the 2 disc set.
mine doesn't include the pocketwatch and puzzle kit.
Dark Alchemist Sakura
QUOTE(tinlunlau @ Apr 7 2006, 02:11 PM) [snapback]375994[/snapback]

QUOTE(asu @ Apr 7 2006, 12:18 PM) [snapback]375897[/snapback]

i didn't.
i got the 2 disc set witht he illustration collection cards, the guidebook poster and the 2 disc set.
mine doesn't include the pocketwatch and puzzle kit.

Strange.... Here in the US at the local pirated.... um, I mean.... JAPANESE DVD store.... the DVD costs about $20 american, but has nothing but the movie in it, like not even the booklet. They ripped us off really badly, which is why I'm waiting for the English version to come out. I really want the booklet, because of the pretty pics XDDD
tinlunlau
QUOTE(Dark Alchemist Sakura @ Apr 8 2006, 05:33 AM) [snapback]376287[/snapback]

Strange.... Here in the US at the local pirated.... um, I mean.... JAPANESE DVD store.... the DVD costs about $20 american, but has nothing but the movie in it, like not even the booklet. They ripped us off really badly, which is why I'm waiting for the English version to come out. I really want the booklet, because of the pretty pics XDDD

just because it's from Hong Kong doesn't automatically mean that it is pirated. it irritates me when americans make that stupid assumption.
bootlegs cd and dvd's never cost over $20 unless you're 4-5 discs at a time.

and trust me, the dvd i bought was definitely legit. they have exclusive bonus features that are not in the japanese dvd.

speaking of which, i have made a little dvd comparison between the Hong Kong and Japanese dvd. i'll take more comparsion pics later today.
here's a sample.

the one on this post is from the Hong Kong dvd and the Japanese dvd.
basically, both dvd's do a swell job in terms of video quality. on the other hand, the hong kong version seems a little softer in sharpness. however, the hong kong dvd has one major advantage over the japanese dvd: the audio. if you all remember correctly, the Japanese dvd only provided Dolby 5.1 and Dolby 2.0 Japanese track. The Hong Kong dvd on the other hand, provides a full blown DTS-es track, Dolby 5.1 ex, and a Cantonese dolby 5.1 track. audio-wise, Hong Kong has the upper edge. i haven't gone thru the whole movie on dvd yet but i was more impressed with the audio on the hong kong release. the japanese dvd seemed to be a little more quieted down compare to the HK release but it still does its job well. however, the japanese and taiwanese dvd releases is a 3 disc set compared to the 2 disc set that hong kong was given. the special features on the hong kong release was really really skimpy. only a collection of all the trailers and teasers and tv spots, plus exclusive interviews with Seiji Mizushima and some other guy (producer) at the Hong Kong premiere of the film. no subtitles on the interviews but there was a translator repeating what they said in Cantonese.
Riza Mustang
where did you get the DVD in HK? I think i rather buy it there they wait for it to come out in Canada....
tinlunlau
i bought mine at Pacific Mall at Markham, Ontario in one of the legit DVD shops. actually, it costed me over $30 or so.

it's $29.99 plus tax at Broadcast Books.
Riza Mustang
lucky... too bad i dont live in ontario... or else i would buy it right now... Vancouver shops rips people off so much*sighs
tinlunlau
QUOTE(Riza Mustang @ Apr 11 2006, 12:35 AM) [snapback]377768[/snapback]

lucky... too bad i dont live in ontario... or else i would buy it right now... Vancouver shops rips people off so much*sighs

how much does it cost in vancouver?
Riza Mustang
well.. in this one chinese shop it costs $98.... i was totally shocked.. other than that one shop i havent' been able to find one
Le Monkey
Yikes.. that just makes me laugh.. XD
AA battery
QUOTE(Riza Mustang @ Apr 11 2006, 06:23 PM) [snapback]378758[/snapback]

well.. in this one chinese shop it costs $98.... i was totally shocked.. other than that one shop i havent' been able to find one

oh, which store? o_o *lives in Richmond*
Riza Mustang
well.. it's in this shop in Parker Place... the one that sells DVDs and stuff. The DVD is like on the highest shelf and you can't touch it unless someone to gets it for you.
tinlunlau
i saw the one disk edition on sale for $18.95 canadian.
still a bit over-priced. i got he special limited version with the limited amount of special features basically for the book and card collection goodies...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.