Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Modern Rock Or Classic Rock
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Music
Pages: 1, 2
Vash_the_Gunslinger
I personally prefer Classic Rock over the Modern. Zeppelin, AC/DC, and many others. Who could beat that?
Carnal Malefactor
Qualify 'modern rock'.
Vash_the_Gunslinger
I think of modern rock as about 1990-present. And Classic Rock 1989-and down as far as you desire.
Taskinst
You cant beat the classic's ...
but in rock you can
Slashrose1010
Rock is so broad... You have so many bands to choose from that are great to the downright sinfully bad. I don't think I could say either way.
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Vash_the_Gunslinger @ Mar 22 2006, 09:57 PM) [snapback]367572[/snapback]

I think of modern rock as about 1990-present. And Classic Rock 1989-and down as far as you desire.

...but what does it encompass stylistically? I mean, when you say 'modern rock', for all I know you could be talking about Entombed just as likely as you could be talking about Good Charlotte, or god-knows what other awful tripe is out there.
Vash_the_Gunslinger
Like I said, songs or bands or styles from 1990-present are, in my opinion, considered modern rock. Likewise with 1989-and under. In fact, it's really not my decision on what you think is the difference between the two subjects. Am just asking what you like better. Hopefully, you vote by the songs in between the timelines or your own timelines. Sorry if I'm not specific enough.
Carnal Malefactor
It's foolish and dishonest to poll people without adequately defining the question.
Vash_the_Gunslinger
Well, I'm sorry to all people that have voted or are planning on voting. I know it's a bit of a vast question, but do you like the rock playing now or the rock back then.
Carnal Malefactor
What do you mean by 'rock'?!

Is it limited to just what's on commercial radio, or what?
Vash_the_Gunslinger
I mean:

Modern Rock | Classic Rock
Like Linkin Park to Good | Like AC/DC and the boys of
Charlotte to others. Any song | their era. Led Zeppelin, Guns
that you think from the modern | N' Roses, etc. If you like the
era. I mean right now, to a few | older rock. Then vote for
years back, to a decade back. | Classic Rock. I liked the bands,
If you like those songs better | styles, and songs of this era better.
then classic rock then I would | So voted for Classic Rock.
suggest you vote for modern. |
Not my decision though. |

When you ask for me to define "rock", I define like rock and roll, punk rock, hard rock, and any other variation of rock with a word that I can't remember. I hope this clears it up.

And about the commercial radio thing. It doesn't matter. Just songs you've heard, styles you've seen, and bands that you like better. So basically it's limited by what you've heard or seen.
Carnal Malefactor
Well then I choose modern rock, because I'd rather listen to Blut Aus Nord than AC/DC any day.

[don't take this to mean I'm boiling everything down to just two bands. The point is that underground rock music, in all its varieties, is so much more innovative than most of what was around in the 70s and 80s. It's close, though. There was stuff back then like King Crimson that was pretty out there, as well.]
kaizenyorii
id take modern i spose. i listen to breaking benjamin-type of stuff
JoshP1389
Modern rock for the win. You appreciate it more when you notice how much it's evolved from Guns 'n Roses and AC/DC to the Pixies and Pavement.
Lord_bathory
yea thats true,i dont like classic rock that much or at all (i perfer the blast beats of death/grindcore/BLACK)
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Lord_bathory @ May 10 2006, 07:58 PM) [snapback]393487[/snapback]

yea thats true,i dont like classic rock that much or at all (i perfer the blast beats of death/grindcore/BLACK)

ahh... another kindred spirit.
asunder
I'd like most forms of rock. But classic rock will always have a special place in my heart. Just ask these guys http://www.thepatriette.com/archives/vikings.html
Ice Blizzard
Modern rock is better to me...classic rock in the olden days was just to crazy for me
Carnal Malefactor
'too crazy'? rolleyes.gif
Slashrose1010
I guess they mean stuff like Iron Butterfly and Uriah Heep?

I still haven't voted or really put my two cents in. It really just depends on the band for me. A lot of old bands were good, and a lot of new ones are good. A lot were bad then, tons are bad now. From what I hear on the radio and such now, though, I would say old rock is better. I can't stand listening to Fallout Boy etc. If I am judging by what is on my computer, I would say modern music, though.
edward_elric_240989
classic depends on your definition beacuse i would have to say classic rock
well....rocks pink floyd and deep purple are best no denying
Chibka
Classic rock. Grew up on it. Love it.
HalfAsian Alchemist
I love classic rock! I could list so many bands I like, but I'll just settle for a couple, like Pink Floyd, Aerosmith, The Who, AC/DC, Led Zepplin, and Lynard Skynard!
Vash_the_Gunslinger
Anyone like Black Sabbath?
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Vash_the_Gunslinger @ Jul 21 2006, 10:06 AM) [snapback]423967[/snapback]

Anyone like Black Sabbath?

If you don't like Sabbath, chances are I don't like you.
sweety_pie
Black Sabath has some good songs.
Vash_the_Gunslinger
"Iron Man" just rocks hard. Along with "Paranoid".
Slashrose1010
What kind of question is "does anyone like Black Sabbath?" That is like asking if anyone likes the Beatles or Queen. Most people like at least a song or two from legendary bands like that.
Miss Elric
Erm, Linkin Park is Punk, right? What about Good Charlotte, Blink 182, Nickelback and System of a Down?
'Cause I like this kind of rock.. or is it Emo? *confused*
Slashrose1010
Linkin Park punk? Wow, I have never heard anyone call them punk before... No, their "nu-metal". Good Charlotte and Blink are pop-rock bands. System of a Down... hmm, I haven't heard much of them so I can't say. I would guess just rock or nu-metal if I recall correctly...
PanicSong44
Well, for me, it really depends on the band. Even though my all-time favourites are classic, like Queen, Ozzy and the Led, I do like some new stuff(SOME). But there is one band I just can't stand....and that's Panic! At the Disco. I really don't understand how anyone can...ugh.
Classic rock is way better though. It doesn't get much better than bands like Pink Floyd, AC\DC and the Led. Then there's Ramones, The Clash, The Beatles...I could go on.
Le Monkey
Classical rock in general
Envy II
Classic rock for sure. I can't stand modern rock. It's really bores me for some reason, and most of it sounds the same. dry.gif
Vash_the_Gunslinger
That is the thing with modern rock. I can't listen to it for a long time without wanting to go back to the classics.
Tuckersux
QUOTE(PanicSong44 @ Nov 14 2006, 08:56 PM) [snapback]473557[/snapback]
Well, for me, it really depends on the band. Even though my all-time favourites are classic, like Queen, Ozzy and the Led, I do like some new stuff(SOME). But there is one band I just can't stand....and that's Panic! At the Disco. I really don't understand how anyone can...ugh.
Classic rock is way better though. It doesn't get much better than bands like Pink Floyd, AC\DC and the Led. Then there's Ramones, The Clash, The Beatles...I could go on.

I agree with everything you just said.

I love both modern and classic. My two favorite bands are Led Zepplin(classic) and Taking Back Sunday(modern).. *Shrug*
Lee_1995
Can't I choose both,haha just kidding,I have several bands that I like from classic same as through with modern,I like rock music but not the intense one where in you bang your head and break your neck...
GREEDisGOOD
QUOTE(Sax4Life @ Dec 24 2006, 11:20 AM) *
Classic rock for sure. I can't stand modern rock. It's really bores me for some reason, and most of it sounds the same. dry.gif

THANK YOU!!!!! YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!!!!!!

Anybody that says AC/DC sucks really needs to get their arse beat.

Of course, that's just my opinion.

And let's see, I know for a fact that no "modern" rock band's ever reached the pinnacle of popularity and obsessive fandom like KISS or Led Zeppelin or the Who or, if I want to go ALL the way back, The Rolling Stones and the Beatles.
Carnal Malefactor
Wait, what exactly is 'modern rock' again?
Slashrose1010
.... AC/DC and KISS are garbage. Get your facts straight.
GREEDisGOOD
QUOTE(Slashrose1010 @ Oct 3 2007, 12:56 PM) *
.... AC/DC and KISS are garbage. Get your facts straight.

Dumbass, everyone seems to forget that without the bands of Classic Rock, there would be no modern rock. All modern day bands learned from the masters. And some of the older bands are still going. Hell, the Who's been around for almost forty years, and though they've lost two members they're still kickin' [All hail lord Xenu].
Slashrose1010
If any 'modern rock' bands listed AC/DC and/or KISS as one of their influences, I likely wouldn't listen to them either. So I don't care how influential they are today or during any period.

Also, Led Zeppelin and the Stones are some of the most overrated bands ever, the former especially. Masters of classic rock my foot!
Popogeejo
Over rated is one of the stupidest criticisms ever and anyone who throws it about needs a fist to the face.
GREEDisGOOD
QUOTE(Slashrose1010 @ Jan 26 2008, 12:11 PM) *
If any 'modern rock' bands listed AC/DC and/or KISS as one of their influences, I likely wouldn't listen to them either. So I don't care how influential they are today or during any period.

Also, Led Zeppelin and the Stones are some of the most overrated bands ever, the former especially. Masters of classic rock my foot!

So why exactly are they overrated at all? Let's see, AC/DC's Back in Black album is the second best selling album of all time next to Jacko's 'Thriller'. And Zeppelin's 'Stairway to Heaven' is the most requested song on radio of all time. I think you're about the only one to think that. And saying that any modern rock band that was influenced by some of those classics, you wouldn't listen to...then you you wouldn't be listening to any music. Every single modern day rock band was influenced by classic rock, all of them.
Carnal Malefactor
So you're saying they're not overrated because they're popular?

Uh... yah, that makes sense. rolleyes.gif
Slashrose1010
@Popo: They are extremely overrated because 1) they're terrible. 2) they are extraordinarily popular, far beyond how much they should be. So I don't see how that is bad criticism if they are garnered far more glory than they should for being crappy. I agree that good bands can also be overrated (Beatles, Floyd, etc), but the matter is that some other bands (KISS) would be overrated even if they were only mildly popular.

@GREED: I am pretty sure that Oasis, Porcupine Tree and SGM were not influenced by bands like KISS and AC/DC.
asunder
QUOTE(Slashrose1010 @ Jan 26 2008, 02:11 PM) *

Wow, you sound so angsty in the above quote.
FYI, no one likes a musical snob...well maybe void, but he's an exception.

AC/DC is an alright band, but it's been very influential to a number of artists/bands.

Here's a small sample:
Alice in Chains
Def Leppard
Foo Fighters
Guns N' Roses
Metallica
Nirvana
Poison
Soundgarden
Twisted Sister
Jet

full list of bands/artists 'influenced' by AC/DC [ http://www.mtv.com/music/artist/acdc/relat...l?follower=true (termed follower at that link) ]
Extrapolating from your statement, i guess you wouldn't like the other ones mentioned in that list either.
Popogeejo
QUOTE(Void2.0 @ Jan 27 2008, 04:25 AM) *
@Popo: They are extremely overrated because 1) they're terrible. 2) they are extraordinarily popular, far beyond how much they should be. So I don't see how that is bad criticism if they are garnered far more glory than they should for being crappy.

Okay, despite never asking how anyone is over rated (nor even naming a band) but simply saying "over rated" is a bad criticism I guess I'll reply.
The statement "X band is over rated" says the following: Fans say the band is good.
It says nothing else in any way what so ever. It doesn't speak to musical ability, tastes or style. It doesn't address the band so much as it addresses the fans and the second we judge something based on its fans is the same second we're forced to say everything on Earth sucks.
From what I see "over rated" is generally thrown out by people who simply want to say they don't like something popular but can't think of a good reason why.
You say they "They're terrible" (who you're saying this about is unclear by the way) but you don't say why you think this which reinforces my belief you are just throwing out criticisms for the sake of trying to be different.

Also, saying "I won't listen to any band influenced by so and so" is beyond retarded. How they say influenced them shouldn't matter, how they sound/write should. You really do give off the impression that you don't really care about music more so than you care about image which leaves you on a lower rung of music fan than the people you and Void regularly pick on.
GREEDisGOOD
Even for something to BE overrated, that band has to be popular in the first place. A Band who's debute album is amazing can't even BE overrated! And as for Led Zeppelin being overrated, that was the whole point of their fourth album. Critics were tossing out the 'overrated' card at them. They were saying that the only reason Zeppelin sold so much is because people would automatically buy ANYTHING with their name on it. So the band put out that album without their name, with no words at all on the album besides the names of the songs - and that album is one of the best selling albums of all time. It has 'Stairway' for christ's sake! - and that's definently not the only great song on that album.
Slashrose1010
How is it beyond retarded to probably not like a band that is influenced by a band you don't like? If there are influenced by said band, they more than likely and should have at least taken something from said band. And you took that out of context since I said "I likely wouldn't" not "will not". Also, you missed the whole point of the argument of how being overrated can turn people off from a band. If you had gotten that, then there wouldn't be a question of Image vs. Music.

AC/DC is an alright band, but it's been very influential to a number of artists/bands.

Here's a small sample:
Alice in Chains
Def Leppard
Foo Fighters
Guns N' Roses
Metallica
Nirvana
Poison
Soundgarden
Twisted Sister
Jet

That is prime example of how if you don't like a band, you likely won't like bands they influence. I'd only listen to three of those bands on that list out of the ten. So I fail to see how saying that one would probably not like the music of a band that another band they don't like influenced is crazy.
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(GREEDisGOOD @ Jan 29 2008, 02:05 PM) *
Even for something to BE overrated, that band has to be popular in the first place. A Band who's debute album is amazing can't even BE overrated! And as for Led Zeppelin being overrated, that was the whole point of their fourth album. Critics were tossing out the 'overrated' card at them. They were saying that the only reason Zeppelin sold so much is because people would automatically buy ANYTHING with their name on it. So the band put out that album without their name, with no words at all on the album besides the names of the songs - and that album is one of the best selling albums of all time. It has 'Stairway' for christ's sake! - and that's definently not the only great song on that album.

Do you even know what the term 'overrated' means?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.