Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Am I The Only Person Who Decided Fma Anime Ain't That Great?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1) > English Dub episodes (on Adult Swim)
nakagos bunny
<Edited to add subtitle "thoughts after watching the final episode" to better describe the content of the thread. 02/21/07 ~Tombow>

Well, now that it's over, looking back on it, while there are some elements I like, overall the series fell flat for me.

Here's something I posted at another forum to express this:

*I think that's what happened to me with FMA anime. Having watched the whole series now, I've realized that there's just something about it that leaves a sour taste in my mouth. It was hard to pinpoint exactly what it is, but I think it's just the overall direction the series took after they stopped following Hiromu Arakawa's manga and did their own thing.

Here's an interesting write-up by another FMA-watcher who also wasn't impressed, and I think they kinda hit the nail on the head about what's wrong with the series.

http://www.animefringe.com/magazine/2005/04/special/04.php

*possible FMA anime spoilers*

What I don't like also is that they try so hard to make a point of some sort, but everything is so jumbled that by the end you're asking, what was the point? And if you do find a point, it isn't anything good. It seems to be that "life sucks", basically.

They don't reveal where Envy came from until the end, and by then it's too late for Ed or Al to have a chance to try to reach out to their sort-of brother.

There's no themes that I like in a story,like love and positive attitudes solving any problems. Everything is just gloom and doom. I guess if you like that kind of thing, FMA is for you, but it didn't work for me. I also felt that Ed and Al were set up for us to root for, only to fail basically in the end. And I don't like a series that leaves a movie to tie up loose ends instead of finishing what they started in the actual t.v. show.

*end spoilers*

I think I'd recommend people to just stick with the manga. It's got a lot more humor, better characterizations and a more organized plot, and not so much "people suck and life sucks, just deal with it!" kind of attitude. *

The person I wrote that to responded with saying that she watched some of FMA but after a while found it to be an angst-fest, and while most anime has some angst, "I'd rather not be swimming in it".

FMA is too depressing, and I don't watch anime to become depressed. If I want all the horror of the real world on my screen, I'll watch the news.

I think I like the manga, and animes like Naruto or Shaman King that while they have some violence, have a positive theme overall.
Toby-Chan
QUOTE(nakagos bunny @ Mar 20 2006, 04:26 PM) [snapback]366351[/snapback]

It was hard to pinpoint exactly what it is, but I think it's just the overall direction the series took after they stopped following Hiromu Arakawa's manga and did their own thing.

*Twitch*

Arakawa wanted it to be different. She was only so far with the manga that there really wasn't an altogether conclusive arc released, and if she had gone and spilled every freaking detail that she had planned, then that would have not only spoiled the manga, but made an extremely boring anime. Watching the animation just to see the exact events of the original regurgitated is not thrilling. And in fact, Arakawa liked it. She even said that her favorite part was how they changed the origins of homunculi.

There's no themes that I like in a story,like love and positive attitudes solving any problems. Everything is just gloom and doom. I guess if you like that kind of thing, FMA is for you, but it didn't work for me. I also felt that Ed and Al were set up for us to root for, only to fail basically in the end. And I don't like a series that leaves a movie to tie up loose ends instead of finishing what they started in the actual t.v. show.

"The world is imperfect. That's why it is beautiful" - Roy Mustang

Love and positive attitudes don't solve any problems. If you want tripe like that, then watch the Telletubbies or something. If you want that central theme, then watch Fruits Basket- wait... oh snap. Even though Fruits Basket promotes that as well, they also portray the world with realism, and show that, gasp, life also does have a lot of sucky stuff going on and nothing is perfect. Love and positive attitudes don't solve everything for Tohru, because people just hate her for being such a sweet girl.

There is no "one true theme" for fullmetal alchemist. Everyone needs to take out something different from it. You need to think, feel along with it, feel the pain and the happiness and draw your own conclusion from the story. For my experience, Fullmetal Alchemist is entirely about love. So I don't see where you find it lacking there.
Sarion
I can see where nakago is coming from on this one. I have to disagree with most people who didn't like the series but after reading this I can understand. I was expecting something near the end to be happy. Ed and Al would get their boddies back and they would head back to Rizenbul. Instead Ed ends up in some alternate reality with his auto mail still on him. The series is way to opened ended and I have to agree on how they made a movie that would explain what happend. That should have been finished it the series. While I still enjoy the series VERY much the outcome did leave me very confused and still leaves the question "why did they do that?"
Popogeejo
Ed doesn't have his auto mail,he has a prostetic arm and leg.
When he holds his arm up and it turns into aotumail(IIRC) it's a kind of dreamy thing.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
I just read that guys review and it seems to me that he's one of those people who look for what's wrong with a series just so he can say he didn't like it.

I didn't really feel any of his arguements held water. He was mainly whining about how dark FMA was.

That characters didn't learn anything? What? Were they suppose to stand up at the end like Stan does on South Park and say "You know, I learned something today."

As for the rest of it I think Toby pretty much sumed it up.
Tyna
Yeah, the anime just died for me. I don't care about the anime anymore. I just watch it now just because to see the hot characters moving and just not drawings on a page, that's all. I mean, people get worked up about it and be cussing out Dante in some of the forums, but I was like, "I don't care". As long as it's not Hiromu Arakawa's original work, I don't care.
Keoni
*still laughing about the stan-comment*

Right, I agree with Toby too. It seems to me that Nakagos is contradicting herself (sorry girl)

@nakagos: You say you don't like it because it's dark and gloomy and depressing. But I wouldn't call the manga cheery and happy. (au contraire)
So I don't really get where you're coming from... What did you expect? The theme wasn't happy and cheery to begin with.

On the side: I get really cheery from watching FMA biggrin.gif
gryphenix
Ok, first, there is an incredibly positive theme. Ed and Al love each other, want the best for each other. This show is all about that bond between brothers. Second, the ending is the way it is because there is a movie. It resolves all this. Third, life is hard. It takes originality to try and make something good (the brothers bond) out of something that many times is harsh and difficult. The draw for me to the series was the uncompromising love Ed and Al have for each other, the fact that they would give up everything for each other. That is so beautiful for me, because it is something you do not see in the world today.
I also agree with Toby Chan. Simply animating a manga is a poor idea. Peter Jackson took LOTR and made it his own while remaining true to the overall plot. It made those movies so much better. If he had stuck to the books, it might have been alright, but then he could not have been creative.
kiori
The anime was amazing. I love the manga as well, and since I'm only on volume 5 i've got a ways to go. I am so glad the anime takes a different direction, because it's like I have a whole other story to read now. If it was the same as the anime I'd just be reading the exact same story. And like Toby said, Arakawa was consulted on the making of the anime and it was approved by her. Just the fact the orignal creator had that much to do with it and liked it makes it good and it doesn't bother me that it's different because of that. Plus, how could they have stayed true to the manga? They only had the first 5 volumes or so to work with.
As to the ending, I personally get tired of happy ones. Because the show was a bit dark (which I don't agree that it made it bad, on the contrary that is part of the appeal) the ending was fitting. It would have been kinda lame after a story like this for everything to be all sunshine and flowers and everyone goes back to Resembool and lives happily ever after. The whole message about Equivalent Exchange at the end does, in my opinion, tie up a lot of loose ends. Ed and Al realize that the law they've based their life on doesn't apply to everything, and yet their perseverence and determination was enough to get them at least something they wanted. If it would have turned out perfect and everyone was together and Ed and Al were both back to normal I just don't think that would've worked. Like they say in the show, the world isn't perfect and things just don't usually turn out that way.
Arakawa created an amazing story. I don't know just how different the two are yet, they're still pretty close at vol. 5. But regardless of how the manga turns out I think they're both different, amazingly well-done renditions of the same story. I hear so many complaints about the ending but I absolutley loved it, even though it was sad and a cliffhanger. Hey, that's what the movie is for! And another thing, this is anything but depressing, I enjoyed this story and the characters so much that it made me happy when I watched it, I just couldn't wait to find out what happened next.
*phew* kind of got carried away but I can't help it. I hate when people dis the anime. By the way nakago, I read that article you posted (it really pissed me off) and I can refute just about everything the writer says. Just because you personally didn't understand it or didn't like the ending does not make it a bad show. anyway I coupld gripe for hours but I guess I'll stop here...for now
Colette
If the anime had not strayed from the manga, I would not enjoy the manga as much, and there would be no point in reading it, because it'd be animated. It's enough of a reason for me to like it >_>
nakagos bunny
I don't mind that they deviated from the manga, I just think it could have been better done.

And I don't expect everything to be all perfect and happy-happy as you're all suggesting, I just don't think everything has to be gloom and doom either.

And I know several others who also found the anime disappointing. Never want to see it again. Nor do I.

Bah, I knew I'd be flamed and dissed for making this topic, but oh well. Just had to get my thoughts out there.

Maybe my problem is that this series beats death to death, and given that I've had emotional problems over fear of death, this series just contemplating it over and over and shoving it down my throat made me sick. Like I said, I ended up depressed after it was over, and while I don't have to see everything perfect and happy in a show, I don't watch t.v. to become depressed. It's a personal thing.

*prepares to be flamed away as usually happens on this forum. Oh, and I'll be called a whiny baby for calling people on flaming me too. But, they won't be called on flaming me. Now I know why I don't post here much.^________^*
kiori
Oh well. To each his own I suppose. I just don't understand why you watched it if you don't like death. This is a dark story, so if you can't handle angst then I don't recomend it.
nakagos bunny
Heh, well I think I continued watching because for one thing, I don't like to quit on a series, and then I also wanted to see what happened to everyone. And I think I was hoping for a more upbeat, happy ending. Something where I felt like Ed and Al got all that they'd been working so hard for all this time.

I don't mind some death in a series, I just don't like it to be overwhelming in it, and I don't mind some angst, but I guess like my friend said, "I don't want to be swimming in it."

*shrugs* Oh well, I wasn't saying my opinion is the only right one or anything, I was just saying that overall I found the series overrated and was curious if anyone else did, that's all the point of this topic was, not to trash the show.
Melydragon
What Toby said at the beginning is totally true. Fullmetal Alchemist is entirely of love and the struggles they have to face through their journey. Not everything is going to be happy-guiddy. And the themes were never meant to be happy anyways. They really reflected the story and I am not sorry I watched the anime version. If it wasn´t for the anime maybe I wouldn´t have read the manga in the first place.
kiori
same. the anime is the reason I picked up the manga. and I love them both.
nakagos bunny
QUOTE(Melydragon @ Mar 21 2006, 09:50 PM) [snapback]367013[/snapback]

What Toby said at the beginning is totally true.

Not the part that because I didn't like FMA anime, I need to watch Teletubbies, and that my ideas are "tripe". wink.gif Just because I didn't find FMA anime to have a good story doesn't mean I can only handle something for a 3 year old.
Keoni
QUOTE(nakagos bunny @ Mar 21 2006, 07:31 PM) [snapback]367004[/snapback]

*shrugs* Oh well, I wasn't saying my opinion is the only right one or anything, I was just saying that overall I found the series overrated and was curious if anyone else did, that's all the point of this topic was, not to trash the show.

Well, I guess you got your awnser wink.gif
I'm pretty sure there are more people who didin't like the anime, but I don't think you'll find much of them here. smile.gif

( As for the article.. It's been a while since something pissed me off this much. You can contact the writer.... Boy would I love to see his inbox laugh.gif )
nakagos bunny
I'm pretty sure there are more people who didin't like the anime, but I don't think you'll find much of them here.

Heh, true. I don't mind people disagreeing with me, I just felt some of the comments were dissing me personally which is hurtful.

Heh, I'm sure he's gotten a lot of flack, but I give a person credit that goes against the flow and critcizing a usually praised and popular thing. And I honestly did think the person had some valid points.

I've heard others say the gate thing is confusing, as that person did. Like my friend said, she's not a genius but she's far from stupid and she didn't understand it.

The article author says they didn't learn anyting, well, I think it's more that I'd say there's little growth in the characters. The person who wrote the article described them as cemented, which I tend to agree with. I feel like Ed and Al are little changed from beginning to end. I personally prefer characters who grow a lot and change within a series, learn a lot. I personally didn't feel they did.

I don't know...character development just seemed stagnant to me.

I also felt like it got too rushed at the end so that issues didn't get explored that I'd have liked to see explored. For example, Hoehenheim's behavior to Envy and Dante. Hohenheim strikes me as that kind of guy who abandons the old family and moves on with a new one. But, not much of this is explored. I'd have liked to see how Ed and Al end up feeling over someone who is almost their brother, but by the time they find out Envy is killing Ed so there's no time to explore that. And the Envy character never gets to experience any inner conflicts regarding how he might have felt had someone expressed some genuine caring.

I also agreed with the idea that the characters are defined by what tragedy befell them, more than personality traits.

And, I agree about how they felt about Lust.

I think Lust kinda embodies what happened to me with the show. I started out liking her, but they shoved her contemplating down my throat to a point that I finally became annoyed with her. She wastes all her time moaning and wondering about where she came from and the meaning of life, instead of just living her life. She seems so miserable, I wonder why she wants to live, period. And so when Wrath finally offed her, I was glad she was gone.

I think the series with it's endless contemplating about life and death and meaning, instead of just flowing, annoyed me to a point that I just wondered why anyone in this series wants to live if they're so miserable. And that was when it just wore out on me.

Sorry, not meaning to diss anyone who feels different, just voicing what happened to me.

Oh, and the equivalent exchange thing bothered me. First they say you must never deviate from that idea, then suddenly it isn't important, then it isn't, no, now it isn't...
asunder
I watched the FMA fansubs about a year or so ago and after watching the anime in its entirety...i was disappointed. This feeling of disappointment actually happened halfway through the series. When I first started watching FMA, i was excited because the anime presented the novel notion of alchemy as the main 'technique/venue of power'. The protaganists offered both humor and sadness. They were also embarking on a quest to rectifiy their mistakes. The initial setup of the anime was pretty solid for me to both like and appreciate it. However at some point midway through the the anime....I felt that the anime squandered its potential for something better. Maybe my expectations at the beginning were too high. The second half of the anime episodes felt both rushed in terms of plot and character development. It's not that the plot would have been better developed in more episodes but rather i didn't like the plot development during the second half of the story arc.
Even the ending of the anime series couldn't salvage the intial potential of FMA being a great anime. To me, i've no interest in rewatching the series.

as a side note, I didn't read the manga so I don't know how different it is from the anime.
kiori
QUOTE(nakagos bunny @ Mar 22 2006, 07:13 PM) [snapback]367525[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure there are more people who didin't like the anime, but I don't think you'll find much of them here.

Heh, true. I don't mind people disagreeing with me, I just felt some of the comments were dissing me personally which is hurtful.

Heh, I'm sure he's gotten a lot of flack, but I give a person credit that goes against the flow and critcizing a usually praised and popular thing. And I honestly did think the person had some valid points.

I've heard others say the gate thing is confusing, as that person did. Like my friend said, she's not a genius but she's far from stupid and she didn't understand it.

The article author says they didn't learn anyting, well, I think it's more that I'd say there's little growth in the characters. The person who wrote the article described them as cemented, which I tend to agree with. I feel like Ed and Al are little changed from beginning to end. I personally prefer characters who grow a lot and change within a series, learn a lot. I personally didn't feel they did.

I don't know...character development just seemed stagnant to me.

I also felt like it got too rushed at the end so that issues didn't get explored that I'd have liked to see explored. For example, Hoehenheim's behavior to Envy and Dante. Hohenheim strikes me as that kind of guy who abandons the old family and moves on with a new one. But, not much of this is explored. I'd have liked to see how Ed and Al end up feeling over someone who is almost their brother, but by the time they find out Envy is killing Ed so there's no time to explore that. And the Envy character never gets to experience any inner conflicts regarding how he might have felt had someone expressed some genuine caring.

I also agreed with the idea that the characters are defined by what tragedy befell them, more than personality traits.

And, I agree about how they felt about Lust.

I think Lust kinda embodies what happened to me with the show. I started out liking her, but they shoved her contemplating down my throat to a point that I finally became annoyed with her. She wastes all her time moaning and wondering about where she came from and the meaning of life, instead of just living her life. She seems so miserable, I wonder why she wants to live, period. And so when Wrath finally offed her, I was glad she was gone.

I think the series with it's endless contemplating about life and death and meaning, instead of just flowing, annoyed me to a point that I just wondered why anyone in this series wants to live if they're so miserable. And that was when it just wore out on me.

Sorry, not meaning to diss anyone who feels different, just voicing what happened to me.

Oh, and the equivalent exchange thing bothered me. First they say you must never deviate from that idea, then suddenly it isn't important, then it isn't, no, now it isn't...

Funny, I loved the first half but it was the second that kept me on the edge of my seat. And WTF? Whaddya mean the characters didn't grow? First of all, they're only human, they're going to make mistakes. I personally think Ed learns a lot, and the reason he goes back and forth on his ideas about equivalent exchange and things like that is because he's confused. People keep telling him different things; Izumi pound the idea of Equivalence into his head, and then people like Dante tell him just the opposite.

I admit the gate was confusing at times but I have yet to watch and anime or read a manga series that doesn't have parts that confuse me.
Yeah, their pasts have a lot do do with how the characters act, but their personalities determine how they deal with it. Ed and Al cope with the things that happen to them in comepltely different ways, and the same goes for every other character.

With Lust, I was the opposite. I liked her more as the show went on. I liked how as time went on, she seemed to become a little more human, wondering about her past and even showing mercy when it came to Ed and Al. I hated when she died.

One of the major points in the story is people trying to fix what they've done so they can move on with their lives. Isn't 'flowing' part of life and death and meaning? I think the contemplation of these things added a lot to the story and added a depth that made it more interesting than a lot of other stories that focus on more shallow subjects.

Full Metal Elf
Well...I thought it got better towards the end, and I LOVE the last episode..the more times I watch it..the better I understand it...and the more I appreciate it...

But I must argue....you have to know traditional Japanese storytelling. Japanese stories don't end happy...and they normally end open. A lot of things in the stories I have read, leave you to ponder about things....to assume certian things and not need to be told. This is a good example of that. It leaves the end open, to let us wonder about what happened and what will happen.

Plus..FMA wasn't meant to end..Happy....the tone of the show...the tragic lives led by Ed and Al...it wouldn't have had a happy ending. I know most don't like the new questions brought up with the end...but..well..yea, lol.

Anyway, so I'm half awake while writing this...but.....I did want to say what I thought about it after seeing the end. Just my opinion..with some fact about Japanes literature...
theothersin
Hn...I guess it really depends what you take from the series. I personally disagree with you nakagos. I think it represented making the best of things and not giving up no matter how much you want to. I also liked the ending, mainly for the reason of making me think. Open endings like that tend to conspire with my imagination, so the series never dies for me. FMA does have it's faults, but what anime doesn't?
But hey, your thoughts are yours. And I can see where you get them.
Reika
no, you are not the only one.
Toby-Chan
If you're thinking that I disagree about FMA being overrated, you're wrong.

FMA is grotesquely overrated. (As is most anime) No series is worth the worshipping and fangirling and drooling that FMA recieves. And if it was, then that cheap attention would weaken it's power.

So from a fandom standpoint, I can see that.

On a personal standpoint I found it to be one of the most important and unforgettable titles I have ever viewed. There is little exxaguration when I say that it owns a little piece of my soul. (Well, okay... that's just drama) That may be for a lot of unique factors in the way that I personally handle fiction. I tend to watch things differently; more with emotion than logic or criticism, and if I'm sold up to a certain point, then so long as that hint of what made me enamored in the first place still remains, I'm stuck to it. (That probably says bad things for my future relationships, dosen't it. laugh.gif)

Everybody finds different things in fiction and in entertainment. The series provided a big chaotic clutter of elements I found appealing, and because it leaves a lot of ambiguity and open ends, that kept me thinking, discussing, theorizing all the way through and far beyond when the television turns off or the book closes. When I can be caught up in a deep story that keeps me wondering and questioning even at times when I'm not focusing directly on the media itself, then that is powerful storytelling, and that is my idea of good entertainment.
Keoni
I have to admit there were a few bits in the article I agreed with.. The Lust-Lewjon episode for instance, that sure was annoying. It did make me feel sorry for her though..

As for his comment on Roy, (not just because I'm a fangirl) I think he didn't get that part. Those flashbacks are a way to show his motivation to become fuhrer. Those events made him who he is today. That's giving some-one a background, not cheap tearjerking.

Btw: I've been thinking about emailing the writer.. Beware writer! ph34r.gif
laugh.gif

I can't help but loving it. To me it's entertaining, it keeps me hooked. I like it better than any other anime I have ever seen, perhaps because it has it's sad moments. With every popular thing there a lot of good things AND bad things about it. It's all about balance.

Anyway, everyone's entittled to their own opinion, right? Yeej for freedom of speech! biggrin.gif
nakagos bunny
Well, those are good points. I can see why you all like the anime, for me, it depressed me too much for me to enjoy it but like you said everyone takes something different out of something.
Toby-Chan
QUOTE(Keoni @ Mar 23 2006, 08:05 PM) [snapback]368107[/snapback]
Btw: I've been thinking about emailing the writer.. Beware writer! ph34r.gif
laugh.gif

Ehhh, not worth it. Cynics will be cynics and he is entitled to his opinion, and is sodding brave for standing up for his opinion on a subject that has likely already earned him plenty of hatemail, all re-iterating the points he argued against by default. When someone has made up his mind like that, then it's not likely that anything you argue for against him will be something new he hasn't considered yet. He's made up his mind. Live and let live.

I kind of agree with Mini about people who look for things to find wrong. And really, with all the hype of FMA, I don't blame him. Badmouthing an overly popular thing in an intelligent and justified way feels good to do at times. Though it's not usually worth it, I think.

I could argue that Hayao Miyazaki is overrated. A one trick pony/talentless hack who can only create a few 'whimsical' visuals and leave the rest of the story up to the audience's worshipful thinking. I could say that his stories are practically all the same, all tell the same trite stories, preaching with thinly veiled symbolism topics of his own personal ideas of propaganda. That they don't adress any remotely new topics, constantly use the same characters and character dynamics in their leads, and have a veritable rehash within the cast for each film. I could say that his style of drawing regular people is boring, bland and has no variety. That Princess Mononoke was nothing more than a talentless and obvious retelling of Nausicaa with even more preachiness than its predecessor, if that is even possible. I could say that his popularity rests upon the fact that audiences keep coming back for more of the same drivel they've been fed in every past Miyazaki film they've ever seen, without even a change of the soundtrack.

But I wont. Because Hayao Miyazaki is an incredible artist and storyteller, and all of his stories have some new level of depth to their themes. Because he always finds new and magical ways to portray similar thoughts; because he can design beautiful visuals. Because in spite of what I *could* say to nitpick through the small flaws and conventions of his storytelling style, it is more peaceful to let things be, and enjoy the stories that are told, no matter how often they have been told. And accept that, you know what, he deserves to be one of Japan's, and in fact, the world's, most praised film directors because his way with the medium is nothing short of stunning. Because popularity dosen't always equate crap, and hype dosen't always speak falsehoods.
animefangirl
after reading that article im curious if the auther has ever seen an anime he did like laugh.gif
nakagos bunny
QUOTE(animefangirl @ Mar 23 2006, 10:27 PM) [snapback]368191[/snapback]

after reading that article im curious if the auther has ever seen an anime he did like laugh.gif

Hm, I'm not sure I think he was just nitpicking. He even admitted that at first he liked it, and there were some aspects he did like. It's just that, like for me, somewhere along the way the anime didn't work for him.

I mean we all have aspects of a story or maybe character we don't like but usually if overall we liked it, we won't criticize too much. For him to write the article, I think overall he was disappointed.

If he just wanted to nitpick, he could claim to like none of it.^^;;

Oh, also, to anyone who wants to send him a mail, I'd appreciate if you don't make it too flame-y. 'Cause now I feel kinda bad, like I shouldn't have posted the link because now he's going to get harrassed, and I don't want it to be because of me that he gets harrassed. Hm, maybe I should remove the link....
*~Oashisu*~
(May contain spoilers. Warning!)

I see how someone could be disapointed with some of the series. I too believe that once it got closer to the ending everything seemed too jumbled up and perhaps a little confusing.

Though, in my opinion I found that one of the themese was that you should never give up. Even after the Elric brothers find that the fabled Philosipher's Stone is nearly immposible to make without the sacrifice of live humans, they continued to look for some other way to create it. Though at first glance it seems that at the end all their hard work didn't pay off at all. Yet, in (Again, might be some Movie Spoilers) the movie everything turns out to be right. Ed and Al get to each other and everythings happy. This might have actually inspired me to look at the outcome of things more positive, even if they seem to be nothing but bad luck.

But yes, that's just what I think. The things the Elrics went through might bring us to give up if we were them, but they held onto whatever courage they had left and got through it.
Even though I don't agree 100%, I can see where you're coming from, and I respect that.
Dark Fate
If darker themes aren't your forte, then I can well see why you wouldn't enjoy the FMA anime. Flatly put, it centralizes around things that are from the darker side of life.

However, I do have to say that something from that particular article did irk me a bit. The issue with Envy is rather easy to see if you take the time to really think about it.

[spoiler]Envy hated his father with all that he was. Why shouldn't it make sense that he chose a different form when his original form looked so much like Hohenheim? If you hate someone, you certainly don't want to see them in the mirror all the time.[/spoiler]
x Ice Alchemist X
QUOTE(nakagos bunny @ Mar 21 2006, 06:18 PM) [snapback]366965[/snapback]

I don't mind that they deviated from the manga, I just think it could have been better done.

And I don't expect everything to be all perfect and happy-happy as you're all suggesting, I just don't think everything has to be gloom and doom either.

Everything WASN'T doom and gloom. There were episodes and various scenes that were humorus. Given, the series was dark, but that doesn't stop it from being good. The charaters were well thought-out and you felt like you could connect with them. When someone would die, you'd cry. (Or at least I did.) And there was love. People cared about each other. You can't label it like a Summer Blockbuster.
adamclark
arakawa's story was more cohesive and interesting in my opinion. those episode in season one that were *loosely* based on her manga work were the better ones. the direction bones took in season two really changed the overall story, and enjoyment for me.

so i would agree with the OP, while at one time I was crazy for FMA, now I am only mildly interested in the show.

and i don't care about the coming movie.
Chizu
This IS the BEST EVER
the show is awesome
asunder
QUOTE(Zaiku No Renkinjutsushin @ May 24 2006, 07:13 PM) [snapback]400367[/snapback]

This IS the BEST EVER
the show is awesome

I think you're in the wrong thread.

I've had the FMA movie sitting on my Harddrive for last several weeks. But no motivation/interest to really go ahead and watch it.

(I'm actually tempted to delete the file because it's a copy of the dvd and the vobs are gigantic)
r315razor
i take watching over reading anyday tongue.gif
Antimony
You're not the only one who didn't like the direction the anime went. I can tolerate it better by thinking of everything after Season 1 as a completely different show. There are too many inconsistencies and the drama gets way too overdone. Characters spend too much time whining about their problems then actually doing something about them, and the few humorous moments are not strong enough. It felt like the writers were painting themselves into a corner and needed a 'deus ex machina' to wrap the series up on time. The movie was a dull and confusing war drama that contradicted itself and ended in nothing but disappointment. I'm just glad that there is no more after it.

I'm grateful the manga is different and that Hiromu-sensei did not sell out. I'm a purist and I believe the original source material is always best. The storytelling is superb and each character is fleshed out and well-developed. It gives me something exciting to look forward to every month. I'm hooked and I'll keep reading until the very end.
FullmetalRaptor
I would have to disagree. I've read the entire manga as well, and I've seen the show, and I have to say that both are completely and utterly brilliant in their own way. Haven't seent he movie yet, but I will. And I have to say that I have no idea what the hell you're talking about when you say that the characters talked about their problems too much. I never even got the slightest feel that that was going on.
Antimony
QUOTE(FullmetalRaptor @ May 25 2006, 01:18 AM) [snapback]400592[/snapback]

I would have to disagree. I've read the entire manga as well, and I've seen the show, and I have to say that both are completely and utterly brilliant in their own way. Haven't seent he movie yet, but I will. And I have to say that I have no idea what the hell you're talking about when you say that the characters talked about their problems too much. I never even got the slightest feel that that was going on.

I don't want to make a list of all the times I saw this happening, but it could just be my feelings about animation. If characters stand around explaining things for too long I get bored, especially if they're just repeating things they've said before. I want to see them getting things done and showing instead of telling. Animation is mainly a visual medium and action should speak louder then words.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.