Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Angel
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fanworks > Fanfics
LightningElemental
My first foray into fan fiction. Opinions are welcome; I'd love to hear your input! :-)

http://www.deviantart.com/view/20153985/

Edit: Or just read it here. XD

- - - - - - - - - -

Disclaimer:
I own neither Fullmetal Alchemist nor Sarah McLachlan's song, "Angel". I guess I do have a muse, because it showed up and hammered this idea into my head. Said muse then proceeded to stare me down until I actually typed the story out. Lyrics are italicized. Please read them, even if you know the song by heart (as I do).

- - - - - - - - - -

spend all your time waiting
for that second chance
for a break that would make it okay
there's always one reason
to feel not good enough
and it's hard at the end of the day

Moonlight filtered through the maple trees outside Roy Mustang's office windows. He looked up from the endless stacks of paperwork on his desk, pen in his hand stilling. The soft knock on his door sounded again, hesitant this time, and he called for them to enter.

I need some distraction
oh beautiful release
memory seeps from my veins
let me be empty
and weightless and maybe
I'll find some peace tonight

The door opened without a sound. A lone figure stood in the doorway, haloed by the light emitted from the other room. Roy set the pen down on the file he had been staring blankly at for the past three hours, slowly rising from his seat.

in the arms of an angel
fly away from here
from this dark cold hotel room
and the endlessness that you fear
you are pulled from the wreckage
of your silent reverie
you're in the arms of the angel
may you find some comfort there

They met in the middle of his office, standing less than an arm's length apart. Roy's hands trembled slightly; unsure of what to make of the reaction, he tucked them into his pockets. Slowly, he lifted his eyes to meet the measuring gaze of his guest. A smaller hand reached up to touch Roy's face, the backs of cool fingers trailing softly down his left cheek. He sighed quietly at the touch and allowed his eyes to close, his impenetrable defenses to fall. There was no need to keep up pretenses here, not here with this person, not now.

so tired of the straight line
and everywhere you turn
there's vultures and thieves at your back
and the storm keeps on twisting
you keep on building the lies
that you make up for all that you lack
it don't make no difference
escaping one last time
it's easier to believe in this sweet madness
oh this glorious sadness that brings me to my knees

After a moment of silent, soothing contact, Roy opened his eyes, and his mouth to speak. The fingers pressed against his lips in a brief, quieting motion. The words died on his tongue, and he exhaled the breath meant to answer so many undefined questions. The look in the other's eyes told him that he didn't need to explain, that he never would need to.

in the arms of an angel
fly away from here
from this dark cold hotel room
and the endlessness that you fear
you are pulled from the wreckage
of your silent reverie
may you find some comfort there

Roy sank to his knees, wrapped his arms around the other's waist and pressed his cheek to the uniform so like his own. He felt safe, here with this person who worked with him every day and wasn't intimidated, who understood his mannerisms and quirks, who knew his past and still accepted him for who he was then, today, and could be in the future. Safe. For what might have been the first time in his life, Roy cried.

may you find some comfort here

- - - - - - - - - -
Knil
*Standing and Applauding*IPB ImageVery Nice and so CUTE!I love your story wub.gif best Royai oneshot EVER!! laugh.gif
Keoni
* Joins in with the applause

Awh! That was so really sweet and moving! I love it wub.gif
As for input, I have none. It's perfect! I'd love to see more!
LightningElemental
Wow, thanks, guys! I thought it'd be easier to direct people to my dA page, but I'll go ahead and c&p it here. I'm so glad you like it! *glee*
numba 1 stunna
ROYXRIZA FOREVER HELLZ YEAH!!!!! (BREAK DANCES)
Nil-chan
Ooh, wow! Keep up the good work! Royai is amazing!
Fayth Prophecy
Very well done!! I loved it!
LightningElemental
Wow, thanks all! <3
darkangelslayer
QUOTE(Knil @ Apr 19 2006, 03:39 PM) [snapback]383493[/snapback]
best Royai oneshot EVER!! laugh.gif
You really need to start reading more then rolleyes.gif.

Nice attempt. I think you depended too much on the lyrics of the song to describe the scene. There were a few good lines here and there but I think, overall, the piece was a little too short for the reader to really get a feeling of the yearning and pain Roy felt. You're on the right track; all I think you need is a little more practice smile.gif.

That's my two pennies.
LightningElemental
I appreciate your two pennies! smile.gif That's the best way to learn. I do feel it is too short, but usually when I end up editing things, I overdo it and they get ruined, so I thought it best to keep people wanting rather than overwork things.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.