Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thinking Back...
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1) > English Dub episodes (on Adult Swim)
Dreakon
IPB Image

Our beloved Full Metal Alchemist is coming to an end, whether we like it or not... but it does not have to be forgotten!

Before the last episode airs, take this chance to discuss our feelings about the dub, past episodes or just the Full Metal Alchemist experience in general. Be it things you noticed on these forums when the dub first aired, other forums. Share Full Metal Alchemist sites other than this one that people can look at and discuss. Much has been said, discussed and just for the fun of it, why not share anything you happen to be thinking. Avoid complaining, this is a place to remember the good times. smile.gif

Call me a sap, but I am incredibly sad knowing the last episode of FMA is coming this week. If you don't like this thread or the idea behind it, you don't have to post in it. It's just here for people to discuss the show, the forums and the experience us dub viewers have had since the series began in the States back in November 2004!

Allow me to begin. I remember back when the dub was first aired all the typical sub fans roamed the dub forums grieving about how terrible the dub was, how certain (or all) voices were ruined and that FMA was up there as another dub Funimation has "butchered". Now, with episode 51 this saturday, I can safely say this is certainly one of the better dubs of any company. It may have had some different sounding voices from the original but it pulled it off better than any of us could have hoped! Just my view, but I am sure many will agree! smile.gif

And before I sign off, here's a site most of you probably knew about but I will post just for reference sake...
The Genuine Truth Behind Truths
(It's a lovely site which posted many of the comparisons between the original and the dubbed version (episode by episode), including edits, cuts and minor changes from the TV-airings. It's an interesting read!)

So, post your memories! smile.gif
InternetAlchemist
I too am sad that FMA is coming to a close. I have only known about it since about mid 2005, but i quickly fell in love with the first episode I saw, staying up every night to watch it on AS. Call me sentemental, but I have truely enjoyed watching Ed, Al, and all the other beloved charaters grow and change. I shall feel lost without them sad.gif
Colette
Remember, there is still the movie and manga >>
Claytonheim of Light
Yes, this show was a great surprise for me, I don't even know why I started watching it, I think I had it on in the background while I was doing something else, but I was hooked almost immediately. It became the main reason I look forward to the weekends! I even watch the replay at 3 am. Hopefully they will replay it for years, like they do with Cowboy Bebop. I was afraid I would have no reason to live for a while, but hey, we got the movie in September! And I'll watch the dvds many, many times....they have so much replay value, you notice details you may have missed the first time around, and you'll see hints and forshadowing that you didn't pick up on untill you saw the later episodes. But hey, one more to go! 3 more days of breathless anticipation!
Melydragon
Yeah, it is very sad that FMA is actually coming to an end, but hey, we still have the movie and the manga is not finished yet.

Is not like we wonīt be able to enjoy it anymore just because itīs over. We will still love it smile.gif .
Winry Elric
I am very sad that FullMetal Alchemist is coming to a close. It's my favorite anime and since I first watched it I was instantly hooked and later obssessed(and still am and probably will be for a very long time tongue.gif ). It was the highlight of my weekends since November 2004 to sit down and tape every episode, now I won't have that to look forward to anymoreT_T

After watching it for so long, you get attached to the characters as you watch them grow and the plot develope ya know?

Well as much as I hate it, all things must come to a close, but just because it's over doesn't mean we can't watch the repeats and still love and talk about it^^

Also we have the movie to look forward to in October(maybe even in theaters^^) and the manga with a completely different plot^^

Yes, even though FullMetal Alchemist is over doesn't mean it's COMPLETELY over rightu? biggrin.gif
Jedi28
The Manga doesn't have a mostly different plot, it has a RADICALLY, totally, completely different plot. Even the stuff from the Manga that they used to make the Anime has been changed, taken out of chronological order, and otherwise altered in the Anime. Its WAY COOL! laugh.gif

Yeah, the movie is coming out in October. I saw it already, wasn't very impressed unfortunately but it was all right I suppose. It would be better if they made a sequel that tied up the many things they left hanging.

I do miss FMA, BUT at least I can rewatch the episodes and reread the Manga a zillion times. And on the 29th they're coming out with the 4 OVA's on the Premium Collection, it's all going to be fluff I'm afraid but at least it'll be entertaining fluff I hope.
Winry Elric
QUOTE(Jedi28 @ Mar 15 2006, 06:55 PM) [snapback]363769[/snapback]

The Manga doesn't have a mostly different plot, it has a RADICALLY, totally, completely different plot. Even the stuff from the Manga that they used to make the Anime has been changed, taken out of chronological order, and otherwise altered in the Anime. Its WAY COOL! laugh.gif

Yeah, the movie is coming out in October. I saw it already, wasn't very impressed unfortunately but it was all right I suppose. It would be better if they made a sequel that tied up the many things they left hanging.

I do miss FMA, BUT at least I can rewatch the episodes and reread the Manga a zillion times. And on the 29th they're coming out with the 4 OVA's on the Premium Collection, it's all going to be fluff I'm afraid but at least it'll be entertaining fluff I hope.

Sorry. Yeah, I haven't read the manga only up to volume 5 but I've looked at alot of scans and it is WAY different^^

Okay. I'm sorry, let's continue with the thinking back^^

Oh, one more note with the remembering, the dubbing was FANTASTIC! Just felt like I had to add that. Okay I'll shut up now>_>
Jedi28
I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to be rude. I was just extolling the happiness that is the Manga! biggrin.gif

I only just found out about FMA a month or two ago believe it or not. In that time I've gotten all 8 released DVD's, all 6 released volumes of the Manga, all the soundtracks, a couple posters, few t-shirts, and the two novels that have been released so far, also a bootleg copy of the movie that I didn't KNOW was bootleg until after I'd already bought it from a store in the Mall where they shouldn't have been tryign to sell bootlegs! My friends think I'm nuts, they're probably right. laugh.gif Anyway, I haven't gotten to the point where I've grown tired of FMA. I do miss the fact that there won't be any new ones (though I'm still holding out hope for a sequel!) but I like watching my DVD's over and over and over and over and over again. Since the Manga is still going I'm really hoping for one or two standalone movies based on the Manga. For instance, in the Manga there is a second knockdown fight between Ed/Al and Scar that I'd love to see animated. But yes, looking back I miss you new FMA's!
Toby-Chan
QUOTE(Dreakon @ Mar 15 2006, 01:46 AM) [snapback]363528[/snapback]

And before I sign off, here's a site most of you probably knew about but I will post just for reference sake...
The Genuine Truth Behind Truths
(It's a lovely site which posted many of the comparisons between the original and the dubbed version (episode by episode), including edits, cuts and minor changes from the TV-airings. It's an interesting read!)

Wow. It'd be nice if that were editable, Wikipedia style. There are a lot of edits they left out, and a lot of pointless things mentioned earlier on. I guess it looks like a progression from elitist frustration, finally giving way to other fans' criticism and pretending to consider the dub perfect. mellow.gif
Moushi
I'm probably like the millionth person to say this but FMA has kept me in suspense all week until the episode on saturday. I quickly became engrossed in it after the premiere in Nov. 2004. Unfortunatly I didn't know about this site until like...episode 39 or something...anyway. There is always the manga & movie in english to look forward too. I TOTALLY AM!! laugh.gif Thrilled yet sad for the ending of the anime.
Sikiu-San
I cant believe that fma is comming to an end. Watched this series from begining to end like others and I cant believe this show has molded into my life xD Its still hard to believe but the manga is still going to keep me going dry.gif when the manga ends I have no idea what i will do @@ A new series may come along that has taken place of fma and will once again find something else to be absored in xD;;
CowAlchemist
I'm really depressed that FMA is over in one episode.

BUT,

I have a program on my computer that lets me record things straight from the TV and put them on DVD. I have every FMA episode recorded, and the ones I missed, I downloaded in japanese and have. I also got the movie via mail yesterday ($10.50, wh00t), so I can enjoy FMA forever.
Dreakon
QUOTE(CowAlchemist @ Mar 15 2006, 11:18 PM) [snapback]363867[/snapback]

I have a program on my computer that lets me record things straight from the TV and put them on DVD. I have every FMA episode recorded, and the ones I missed, I downloaded in japanese and have. I also got the movie via mail yesterday ($10.50, wh00t), so I can enjoy FMA forever.

Oh, I'm sure most of us have our ways of keeping FMA viewable until the end of time. I certainly know I do! wink.gif

I remember back before I watched the first episode, I thought Al was some sort of robot and Ed controlled him with alchemy... or something. I thought to myself, "man, if thats what it is, that's kinda lame...", but I watched it anyways. C'mon, I didn't see the sub, what was I supposed to think? How little I knew, I am so happy it wasn't like that. Lol!
strong_arm1
I love FMA, and will continue to love FMA. What I'm left thinking as it comes to a close, however, is if any other series will ever hold the level of interest for me that this has. I seriously doubt it.

True, theres still the movie and the manga (not to mention watching the series over again)...
Dreakon
QUOTE(strong_arm1 @ Mar 16 2006, 12:18 AM) [snapback]363903[/snapback]

What I'm left thinking as it comes to a close, however, is if any other series will ever hold the level of interest for me that this has. I seriously doubt it.

I know! I can't help but think this too... sad.gif

I just hope Adult Swim airs more good, freshly dubbed series for me to hook onto! FMA can't be the only gem!
Full Metal Elf
I am sad too...T_T....I've already seen it all subbed, but...to see the end dubbed will be so sad...T_T.

I can't believe there's only one episode left!.....But the dub has been amazing!!! So I can't wait.....Vic, Aaron, Travis...all of you..rock!..happy.gif
strong_arm1
Dreakon:I just hope Adult Swim airs more good, freshly dubbed series for me to hook onto! FMA can't be the only gem!

I hope something else comes around too. What make me worry is that I really never have been THAT into anime. It just never appealed to me. That's what makes it so wierd I guess that I fell in love with this series (and why I'm convinced there will never be one that I find so interesting).

But when I stated in the last post that I was worried that no other series would come along with the interest facotr, I wasn't simply talking about anime. I can honestly say I have never been more devoted to any show (live action, animated, whatever).
Tyna
Sniff, sniff, let me grab my tissues. I remember...ah, I remember the good old days, when I was too young to watch FMA and was shocked by the blood and violence.
Here's my story:

First watched it was an accidental stumble on episode 25 when Envy killed Hughes. There was blood, and I was a little girl, so didn't like it.
Then stumbled on episode 1 for some reason, didn't like 'cuz I thought it's all about violence.
Then it was episode 15, The Ishbal Massacre, right when Al was begging Scar to not kill Ed. It was EMOTIONAL, and that's when I CONSIDER watching it. The drama was worth it.
But then for some reason, I forgot about it. And then, one day, I turned it on and it was episode 28, the one when they had to go to the Island, One is All, and All is One. Yes, it was funny and they did a lot of reflections on their sins. So I had a pretty good summary, so then I started watching it from there.
Then I caught the reruns and watched the old episodes. So far, I've missed only 15 and 25. But I know what happened in there.

Yes, it's almost the end...So sad. can't believe I won't wake up at 3:00 in the morning anymore.
Joe J
I am an obsessive type of person. I latch onto things very tightly, and FMA was just one of those things that I attached myself to. For better or worse, it has been part of my life for the past couple of years. All in all, I'd say it was a hell of a ride. I don't regret it at all, and I'll miss it dearly when it's over.

At least there is the manga, which I am liking more and more with each new issue. It gives me comfort to know that somewhere in the world the story contiues. More FMA is being created all the time.

Funny thing, I really like the dub voices, but I find that when I read the manga, I give the characters new voices in my head. For instance, Ed sounds a lot younger in my head (pre-pubescent). Is that weird? (I do the same thing with Harry Potter. The movies and the books are separate entities for me.)

Just a suggestion. If anyone is looking for a new obsession, give Rurouni Kenshin a try. It's different from FMA, but IMHO just as good.

Peace,
Joe J.
Dreakon
QUOTE(Joe J @ Mar 17 2006, 12:29 AM) [snapback]364403[/snapback]
Just a suggestion. If anyone is looking for a new obsession, give Rurouni Kenshin a try. It's different from FMA, but IMHO just as good.

While we're suggesting things, I would like to suggest Trigun. Very good, though I am sure most of you know that already. wink.gif
Joe J
I'll see your Trigun and raise you a Cowboy Bebop. (There's much anime worth checking out. Let's throw Naruto in the mix while were here.)

I guess my point is that as much as I love FMA, I know that I will have other loves to come.

Peace,
Joe J.
Ed-Al-Win Fan
Yeah, I'm going to miss this show, very much...Even though I'm kind of new on liking this series, I just started liking it late last year, but I loved it! I always loved the dub, its funnier and as everyone else I get a better understanding of it...Myself I'm not exactly a known anime fan, I rarely even watch anime actually, I only watch certain anime shows from time to time and only if they are really interesting...I use to only just watch Inuyasha, and thought it was the best...But then I looked at FMA one day and was like "whoa" this is wayy much better...The plots and everything seemed very realistic...Even though its going to end, it will still be in memory along with some other anime shows I use to watch back in the day...
inudog
I'm going to be real sad when the show ends. The way the show is written is flawless! The twist and turns it brought always left me wondering what would happen next. I still can't belive that it is coming to an end though. FMA is always going to be one of my favorite anime long past the final episode. This is one that I'm really going to miss.
Becca77901
[size=4] I haven't watched the whole series yet. I'm on the 28th episode, but i have a pretty good Idea of what's going to happen. Is Ed going to die and is he going to turn into Pride. A friend sais he is, but I didn't really believe my friend till I saw a picture. I love Ed, and even if he does die I will continue to Love Ed. [b]
Popogeejo
[spoiler]Your mate is tlking a load of BS.No Ed-Pride ever happens.
Ed/Pride is just a fan idea that IMO "don't make no sense"[/spoiler]
Jedi28
QUOTE(Becca77901 @ Mar 17 2006, 01:36 PM) [snapback]364613[/snapback]

[size=4] I haven't watched the whole series yet. I'm on the 28th episode, but i have a pretty good Idea of what's going to happen. Is Ed going to die and is he going to turn into Pride. A friend sais he is, but I didn't really believe my friend till I saw a picture. I love Ed, and even if he does die I will continue to Love Ed. [b]

No, that picture you have in your avy is from Bluebird's Illusion, a fanmade Chinese PC game a few years back. One of the possible endings is where Ed dies and comes back as Pride. I posted the picture of it in the gallery a few days ago, you can go see it. I also posted a picture from one of the other endings of the game where Ed becomes a vegetable for the rest of his life. It's just a fanmade game, it has no bearing on the actual series or how it ends.
kiori
I'm just worried about how to fill the void once this ends. This is the best anime of all time, period.
However, there's a lot of other good ones out there and I'm sure most of you have seen them but if not here's some I recomend: Yu Yu hakusho, DBZ, Rurouni Kenshin, Cowboy Bebop, Wolf's Rain, Witch Hunter Robin, FLCL, Outlaw Star and Cased Closed. I also recomend the manga Chobits and Ranma 1/2, and any movie that's made by Hayoa Miyazaki.
Anyway I have a question: How do you people have volume 6 of the manga already? It's not suppposed to come out till the 22nd! I'm loving the manga and can't wait to see how it turns from the anime so if someone could tell me how they're getting it early that'd be great.
I hate when people insult the dub of this show! I've seen both and I personally prefer the english. don't get me wrong the japanese is good but this is one of the best dubs i've ever seen. I love it so much, in fact, that I'm going to wait all the way to October just to see the movie in English. It's going to be a long 7 months dry.gif
Becca77901
Yeah, I've heard of all of thosem and don't ask me. I don't know how people have the 6th volume if it's not out yet. I don't like when people do that either.
redmethod
[font=Times New Roman][size=7]
It kinda sucks that FMA is ending, but I can't believe Envy killed Ed! Ed was actually letting his guard down and being a little sympathetic, and what does Envy do? Shoves his hand through Ed!
Jedi28
Volume 6 has been out for a while now. Run to your nearest store and buy it! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

redmethod- yes, Ed had a bad day. Ed wasn't being sympathetic either, he was in shock (which is why he leaned back, he wasn't getting up, he was reacting in shock and horror) and hesitated which is a rather dumb thing to do when you're sitting on someone who has already previously beat the crap out of you, stated they hate you and wants to kill you. Poor Ed.
Becca77901
[b] I know. That Sucks. I really like both Ed and Envy. That's so sad...and I'm not even that far in the series. I just want to go cry now.
Ultimate_Hughes_fan
I love to rememeber episode 13 and 37 for the most comedy I have ever seen in anime.
Becca77901
I like the first 8 episodes. They were pretty sad
SilverHawk
Hughes. sad.gif
Popogeejo
In one of the credits there a pic of all the military guys standing aruond,some playing cards.Awesomest pic ever. really want that as a poster/desktop.
And Night of the Chimeras cry.

OH and (not sure of the epispde #)the one with the 13th ware house.That episode was so funny.Poor ol' Havoc.
Tyna
QUOTE(popogeejo @ Mar 18 2006, 11:02 PM) [snapback]365423[/snapback]

In one of the credits there a pic of all the military guys standing aruond,some playing cards.Awesomest pic ever. really want that as a poster/desktop.
And Night of the Chimeras cry.

OH and (not sure of the epispde #)the one with the 13th ware house.That episode was so funny.Poor ol' Havoc.

I KNOW! And the song I Will by Sowelu was playing in the background. It just brings this feeling of reunion, you know. Makes you feel like, "Ah, it's the end, we can finally get together and rest". See, just sitting back like that.
Chopper Enthusiast
Barry...

I pine for you...
Sword Alchemist
I've been watching FMA since the first episode aired on Adult Swim in November 2004.

I remember seeing episode 25 Words Of Farewell for the first time. I dont think there were many FMA fans with dry eyes that night.

I absolutely loved any scene with Maria Ross and Denny Bloch. Denny was so cute when he got jealous because Maria and Hoho were flirting with each other in episode 44 Hohenheim Of Light.

And there was also the emotional scene with Ed standing in front of the Gate in the last episode.

All in all, FMA is the best anime I have ever seen.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.