Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chapter 57 "Regular" Discussion Thread For First Time Readers (and Others)
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Manga
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Amethyst Sunset
Only part of the tattoo was burned off - and from a source, I saw that it was the part that teaches the would-be Flame Alchemist how to utilize hydrogen as well as oxygen and create a very devastating bomb. Well, obviously Roy already knows that, and he's used it against Lust. And that may well be the most formidable lesson in Flame Alchemy one-oh-one. XD

chapter 60 spoiler Perhaps there are more secrets hidden in the tattoo than we think. Roy may have nailed the basics and some of the advanced stuff, but he might not be finished yet. Either that, or he's done and he just doesn't have the heart to burn everything off all at once; that would hurt. XD So if he's finished, he's burning the tattoo off piece by piece.

In my fanfic, I project Mr. Hawkeye as an eccentric, heartbroken man who tries to make something out of himself and overworks in the process. You might say he can get obsessed with things. Frankly, I don't think he's crazy. Not literally, at least.

Flame alchemy? And then Roy would burn it off? Ouch.
slow-food44
You're all wrong !

YOU-KNOW-WHO DID IT !!!! ph34r.gif

MWAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA !!!!

Amethyst Sunset
QUOTE(slow-food44 @ Aug 5 2007, 06:55 PM) *
You're all wrong !

YOU-KNOW-WHO DID IT !!!! ph34r.gif

MWAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA !!!!

Riiiiight.

So either Roy has to kill off You-Know-Who or the other way around because of the prophecy, eh? XD

Back on-topic, it would be pretty ironic for the tattoo to be burned onto Riza's back...and the only way to get rid of it is to burn it off. XDDDDDDD
riza hawkeye 9
chapter 58 spoiler i think the tatoo was engraved before Roy became Riza's father apprentice. on chapter 57, when hawkeye sensei is talking to roy about being an alchemist and that he wont teach him his secrets, he says a important thing, that an alchemist is a curios being and he /she will live until all his goals are fullfilled, and then Hawkeye sensei says his goals/research had ended a long time ago, and that he was already a dead man. seeing that declaration makes me think that probably when Roy became his apprentice he no longer studied the fire alchemy and possibly already had sealed then into riza's back.

but about the way he did it onto her back ? i don't think it was by fire alchemy, even fire alchemy couldn't do somenthing so neat as that. maybe some other kind of alchemy ?

and to finish, sadly i have small hopes that tha tatoo will come to the scene once again, when Roy burned i really think that he discovered all it's' secrets, and that's why he just burned the most important part.....but we never know =D..i'd love to see more about the tatoo and also Roy's past as well.. since we know nothing about =/ but that is a subject for another thread XD
Tombow
@riza hawkeye 9 - chapter 58 spoiler Good point about hawkeye-sensei's words in chapter 57!!
Yap, now I think he did it before Roy became his apprentice.
smile.gif
Claudius
Y'know, being the child of an alchemist certainly sucks. Ed and Al (and AnimeEnvy) were abandoned by their father, (chapter60 spoiler) Riza got a tatto from her dad, AnimeIzumi created a Homunculus out of her child (not to mention rejecting him), and let's not forget poor Nina Tucker...
Perhaps Ed and Roy should get visectomies (or Winry and Riza get their tubes tied).

Claudius
Amethyst Sunset
QUOTE(Tombow @ Aug 13 2007, 06:38 AM) *
@riza hawkeye 9 - Good point about hawkeye-sensei's words in chapter 57!!
Yap, now I think he did it before Roy became his apprentice. smile.gif

Points taken. happy.gif Very probable.

Claudius - Or maybe almost all the alchemists introduced in FMA have had tortured pasts and took it out in their work. XDDDDDD

Poor alchemists. Poor people-close-to-alchemists. T_T
Amaya Hawkeye
@Riza Hawkeye 9 - You really think she wont bring it back? I feel like it was mentioned way too briefly, and that Hawkeye-sensei has to be mentioned again somehow. Especially if Roy is the last alchemist the homunculi are planning to use.

I think theres more to the tattoo than we know so far. I hope so at least.

Sorry if I'm getting off topic.
riza hawkeye 9
QUOTE (Amaya Hawkeye @ Aug 16 2007, 01:20 PM) *
@Riza Hawkeye 9 - You really think she wont bring it back? I feel like it was mentioned way too briefly, and that Hawkeye-sensei has to be mentioned again somehow. Especially if Roy is the last alchemist the homunculi are planning to use.

I think theres more to the tattoo than we know so far. I hope so at least.

sadly, i think so, the mangas events are coming towards it's climax/end and bringing back the tattoo would require a lot of explanation, i don't think arakawa will have the time to do that given the current plans envolving ed, olivier, father and roy....i'm sure she has something big and surprising that includes Roy's being one of the alchemists they're gonna use to father's big plan, it will include riza ( or she wouldn't be a such closer hostage) but not the tattoo....sadly.. because i'd love to see it again *-*

let's hope i'm wrong ^^

okay.... just popped into my mind, i read in the other thread that Roy might be the one to kill envy and that he's supposed to die freezing to death...maybe the tatoo hides something that may help roy do it

and back on topic....i personally think that the tatoo (chapter 58 spoiler)was engraved after Riza's mother death and after her early teens...or the tattoo wouldn't be so perfect into her skin, maybe during her 15 years old, since i think roy became a apprentice in her late 16.
Vitor 3000
To me, (chapter 58 spoiler) it was engraved after Roy was his student.
Roy says that his master changed, he is different. He says he finally understood what he needed, he finally had created the "ultimate alchemy". If he did this before Roy became his student, why didn't he teach Roy?
He developed it his entire life (as himself said), but only in the end of his life he understood it, but couldn't pass to Roy. He saw how his alchemy was destructive, and made Riza be the keeper of the secret.

And I think his "ultimate alchemy" is the same one as Scar, a fusion of Rentanjutsu and Renkinjutsu. That's why it is called the "ultimate alchemy".
CodenameElizabeth
QUOTE(Vitor 3000 @ Aug 17 2007, 01:00 AM) *
And I think his "ultimate alchemy" is the same one as Scar, a fusion of Rentanjutsu and Renkinjutsu. That's why it is called the "ultimate alchemy".

You know, that would certainly explain all of the inter-mingled symbolism in her tattoo.

Seriously. It REALLY doesn't look like ANY of the other transmutation circles we've ever seen. At the center, is Roy's fire emblem, but the snake-looking things, and the writings on the outside... well.. IMO, they resemble Scar's tattoo more closely that other Amerstrian alchemy symbols.

natsu-hime
then maybe it's a combination between renkinjutsu and rentanjutsu?

random thought by a crazy roiai fan. IGNORE THE POST BELOW IF YOU HATE ROYxRIZA

chapter 58 spoiler probably it was carved after roy became his student. hawkeye-sensei was thinking where to left his work where only roy can see it someday and it's riza's back. of course, at first riza didn't want to thinking of the pain her back will be ugly etc, etc... but hey, it's for mustang-san that she had a crush at (this was random. totally random) or someone that she thought as a brother, as a family. riza's the type that wants to sacrifice herself for the person that means very much to her, so she agreed. she sacrificed herself for the sake of her father and the sake of mustang-san.

oh, and what i mean above by hawkeye-sensei thought "where only roy can see it someday" can be translated as "when they're both married/love each other/being together in bed tongue.gif" maybe hawkeye-sensei saw that his lil' girl got a crush with his apprentice. hey, a girl will refuse to be stripped half naked for hours in front of someone she didn't like and a father won't like his daughter to be stripped half naked for hours in front of a guy except if the father trusts the guy lots and agrees that his daughter is OK with this guy. and, i remember before hawkeye-sensei finally died when he was coughing blood on the table he was saying that "i'll leave my daughter to you" (or is it the indonesian translation being wrong?)

with hawkeye-sensei and general grumman agreeing them to be together, roiai totally got a family bless smile.gif
CodenameElizabeth
QUOTE(natsu-hime @ Aug 18 2007, 03:25 AM) *
and, i remember before hawkeye-sensei finally died when he was coughing blood on the table he was saying that "i'll leave my daughter to you" (or is it the indonesian translation being wrong?)

with hawkeye-sensei and general grumman agreeing them to be together, roiai totally got a family bless smile.gif

Nope, your idea on the translation was apparently correct:

http://www.readmanga.com/view.php?currtitl...p=058&img=4

I personally think that the idea of both her father and grandfather wanting them to be together is freakin' sweet.
So, with the tattoo being on Riza's back, Roy needed to first gain her trust in order to allow her to show it to him. Perhaps her father did realize this, and realized that Roy was the one who woudl someday earn that trust. (Which mean that he meant for him to find out about the research eventually.)
Tombow
^^ According to Raw natsu-hime is kind of correct. (chapter 58 spoiler) Tho, he is not exactly betrothing his daughter. He is asking Roy to take over the role of guardian for him after his death. smile.gif )

Click to view attachment
Hawkeye-saensei: "Roy..., please look after her...."
Then he goes: "Please.., please.." "Please..." (And, that's his last words. )
CodenameElizabeth
chapter 58 spoiler Agreed that it is more of a "guardian" thing rather than an "OMG-- MARRY HER!!" thing on the father's part.

Perhaps I should have made that clearer.
Tombow
^^ Yeah, but that would have been awesome!!

(chapter 58 spoiler) Hawkeye-sensei: Roy, marry her!!"
Roy: "Yes, sensei, for you, I will marry her!!"
Hawkeye-sensei: "BTW, I also tattooed the wedding cake design on her back. Check it out.... Ok, I GTG."

LOL!! XDD

Seriously, I like riza hawkeye 9's theory of when Riza was 15. smile.gif
natsu-hime
lol well it's just theories we're free to assume it as we want (i'm only assuming it from my point of view as a crazy roiai fan biggrin.gif)
Kurissyma
QUOTE (natsu-hime @ Aug 19 2007, 08:26 PM) *
lol well it's just theories we're free to assume it as we want (i'm only assuming it from my point of view as a crazy roiai fan biggrin.gif)

Yay! A fellow "crazy roiai fan"! Me ish 'Kurissyma san Tybalt' on Fanfiction dot net and full of roiai stories ^6

Honestly, I think all the points expressed here are plausible (except that it was done by You-Know-Who O.o). (chapter 58 spoiler) My personal opinion lies somewhere around late 14 to early 16 as well. I agree that it'd be pretty damn ironic if it was burned on and had to be burned off, but I'm not sure about the validity of it. I reckon the theory that Roy hasn't learned everything he can about the alchemy yet is very interesting- I hadn't thought of it that way before so I'm glad to see a new point of view.

Good luck with your fic! tongue.gif
Causmicfire
(chapter 58 spoiler) It probably couldn't have been before 14/15, because her skin would have stretched too much as she grew and disfigured the lines of the tattoo itself. I think it was probably put on her after Roy left to join the military. I'd have to say I assume a regular apprenticeship lasted between 2-4 years, excluding the Elric brothers because they were/are prodigies. Hawkeye-sensei's work was probably completed before Roy became his apprentice, but he didn't have the urge to put it somewhere safe until he got sick. Maybe it was his dying wish which is why Riza complied?
Michiyo-
First time FMA manga readers, please post your thoughts and discussions on chapter 57 here. smile.gif

Those who have already read further chapters are also welcome to join the discussions, but please do not post any future chapter content on this thread.

This thread is Spoiler Party thread for chapter 57 content, meaning, posters do not have to use Spoiler tags while posting about chapter 57 content on this thread. smile.gif

For the reading reference, please send a PM to A Pierrot's Aria and ask for "Reading Reference Assistance for week 52."
(For more detailed explanation on this, please read Tombow's post here.)

Thank you, A Pierrot’s Aria, for all your help!! ^^
Michiyo-
reserved for chapter information
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.