Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chapter 57 "Regular" Discussion Thread For First Time Readers (and Others)
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Manga
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Nagisa
First time FMA manga readers, please post your thoughts and discussions on chapter 57 here. smile.gif

For info about the "Reading Reference", go to page 22.

===============

do you know exactly which day is chapter 57 coming out??

<Last edited by Michiyo- on July 3, 2011>
Reika
on 11th, I think
Qeomash
We're never sure exactly...Some months it come earlier than others. Around the week of 10th-15th we see it.
Sensenic
QUOTE(Qeomash @ Mar 7 2006, 11:16 AM) [snapback]359828[/snapback]

We're never sure exactly...Some months it come earlier than others. Around the week of 10th-15th we see it.

Actually it usually comes out the day it is originally announced for (a little later or a little sooner).

So count on it coming out around saturday wink.gif
Qeomash
USUALLY being the key word there...Latest I've ever seen the raw become available was the 15th...I think that was around Chapter 33 or something like that. Wow, have I really been following FMA that long..?
GaluxKitty
Saturday/Sunday. If it's the 11th in Japan (and Australia, where I live), it'll probably be late Friday in America. When # 56 came out I was at school @_@ I had to boot some kid off a comp to read it. XD
Sensenic
QUOTE(Qeomash @ Mar 8 2006, 12:07 AM) [snapback]359982[/snapback]

USUALLY being the key word there...Latest I've ever seen the raw become available was the 15th...I think that was around Chapter 33 or something like that. Wow, have I really been following FMA that long..?

Well of course, delays can happen \( u_u)/

But don't be... we'd say "gafe" in Spanish... jinx, says the dictionary... At least, if it comes out late, we know who's to be blamed...tongue.gif
QUOTE(GaluxKitty @ Mar 8 2006, 12:12 AM) [snapback]359985[/snapback]

Saturday/Sunday. If it's the 11th in Japan (and Australia, where I live), it'll probably be late Friday in America. When # 56 came out I was at school @_@ I had to boot some kid off a comp to read it. XD

LOL. But of course, priorities come first! The kid must understand!
Automne
Chapter 57

Say thank you to weepwop! smile.gif
Qeomash
O.o
Downloading...

Edit: Wow. Very interesting chapter. I like it! *twitches* Must have translation....

Though what on earth is that symbol on Riza's back! O.o Roy's emblem entwined with what looks like the snakes of the Oroborus. And the scar tissue?! Who put it on, and who tried to take it off!!??
Animeoldtimer
I had trouble with that link, but I found it directly on my friends page for LJ. All I can say is OMG!!!!!!!!!!

I'll wait for the translations but OMG!!!!!!!
DesFS
w00tness! Now's it only a matter of time before it's scanlated by our favorite group...
*waits in anticipation*
Sensenic
QUOTE(SinLuxuria @ Mar 9 2006, 07:50 PM) [snapback]360881[/snapback]

Chapter 57

Say thank you to weepwop! smile.gif

ohmy.gif

Downloading right now! Thanks a million to you 2!

But it is low quality version... sad.gif
Qeomash
QUOTE(Sensenic @ Mar 9 2006, 02:05 PM) [snapback]360895[/snapback]

It's HQ in my opinion! But maybe because I'm so starry eyed right now...

Eitehr way, WHO CARES!?!?
Reika
hey!!! hey!!!! hey!!! help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't download it!! it says "error you are not authorized to see this page" and I'm a livejournal member!!!!!
Automne
Are you a member of fm_alchemist? :stupid question:
Sensenic
~ Chapter 57 Discussion!, All Out Spoilers Party! ~

As suggested by antimony, and to avoid putting spoiler tags everywhere, which is bothersome, I chose to make this new thread. Hope you people don't care... happy.gifU

Now... No, first a reply:
QUOTE (Qeomash @ Mar 9 2006, 09:10 PM) *
QUOTE (Sensenic @ Mar 9 2006, 02:05 PM) *

It's HQ in my opinion! But maybe because I'm so starry eyed right now...

Eitehr way, WHO CARES!?!?

Nope, it's the LQ version, as the smaller file size proves (They're usually 10+ Mb). Just the same that happened with chapter 45. Gotta admit the quality this time is way better (I wasn't able to read the furigana in 45).
And indeed, given THAT, WHO CARES!?!?

Now comment party!!

1- I wub.gif the cover art!

2- I KNEW it! I knew Marcoh would ask Scar to kill him because that way he would pass off as having died by the hand (nunca mejor dicho) of the famous alchemist-killer, and therefore there would be no reason to kill off his town. And, of course, Scar ain't gonna kill him. Not until we get our Flashback, of course.

3- I wub.gif RanFan!! She gets cuter and cuter in every chapter that comes out! And, of course...

4- Dr. Knox is teh R0x wink.gif Double Pan Attack!

5- WTF is Father doing? That certainly isn't the idea that I had about "making a body around a stone"... happy.gifU I guess he has all the "ingredients" within him... Transmuting a human body and no gate trespassing, Daddy? How many secrets thou hide from us still... sleep.gif

6- And, well... What can I say? Oh yes, OMGsome elements apart, we finally got us some fanservice, after Shower!Ed we get Shower!Riza... She still thinks of us... :perverted_face: Thanks, sensei!

Now, theory... Riza's tattoo is Ishval style, no? Didn't that old man mention sth about that kind of tattoos being those of "Ishval Warrior Priests"? What if Riza (Hey! I said it right here! \( `AŽ)/ ) is (or rather was) Ishvalan?! Do you remember how they accepted Yoki? Why couldn't have they done the same with a orphan Hawkeye (Again!)? That is, she was Ishvalan of adoption.

And, one day, when she was aiming at the next National Alchemist... she found out... sth.

Basically this theory has the problem that the tattoo has Mustang's emblem on it, so probably 'tis wrong. But it was as close as I could get.

Arakawa sensei is... I ran out of fanboy adjectives...
m(__)m

PS: And this is how Volume 14 ends... leaving everything ready for Volume 15, Teh Flashback, just like 6 was.
Everything will probably continue some time later, with RanFan automail'd (In Half a Year! But don't compare me to your brother! laugh.gif), Gluttony "remade", and whatever.
OH! MY! GOD!

EDIT: Of course it is Riza! I NEVER meant Winry, I'm sorry for causing confusion, ppl /(;u_u)
GS4Life
Eeeeeeeep! I went on gamefaqs a read a discussion on the chapter and

Drool drool drool at the thought of the Riza-shower scene! Ha! I knew it RanFan and Mei weren't going to be buddy buddy at all or atleast acorrding to gamefaqs that happened.

Perhaps I will regster.....Still though*cries and prays for winzip*
kaizenyorii
*dunno how to do spoiler sign*
---
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

that tatto looks like roys flame circle mixed with something else...o boy i love suprises
-
-
-

-
-
-

-
-
Tombow
QUOTE(kaizenyorii @ Mar 9 2006, 05:26 PM) [snapback]360994[/snapback]
*dunno how to do spoiler sign*
It's easy. Highlight the part of your post that you want to put in the spoiler box, then click on B next to I, U , S, etc. above the post composing space, as if you are making the hlighted part BOLD, then change the code inside the [ ] from "b" to "spoiler" in both begining and ending [ ]s.
(Don't forget to keep "/" in the ending [ ] tho.) smile.gif

If still not clear, click on REPLY bottum for my post, and see how the code looks like for my spoiler tag, and just type in the codes exactly that way.

[spoiler]Like that [/spoiler]
kaizenyorii
sweet thanks!! anywho, it looks like burn marks cover a little bit of the tattoo, so maybe well finally get an explanation for Hawkeyes loyalty to Mustang
[/quote]
Miizah the Huntress
1- The cover is a fav for me now. Did you see Yoki with all the bumps? hehe

2- I'm not to certain Marcaoh 'asked' here ... he looked rather alarmed at Scar's arm aiming for his face, and Scar looked as if he snapped into his "gonna kill ya" mode. The scanlation will have to tell us!

3- The scene where Al is reminded of Ed made me laugh! ^^ Then I had a fear that (this is stupid) they were going to turn Ran Fan into the new main character. lol Brief flash through my mind, not true I know.

4- Finally! Someone hit that little Panda-toting girl on the head! She looks cute ...but annoys me sometimes.

5- That scene made my stomache flip o0 Remember, however, his blood was enough to make a stone for Ling ... interesting stuff. (and he's SO bored looking at it all!)

6- I think you meant Riza?

Good theory, I have always though her eyes were darker than normal, as if she had mixed blood. But, the Flame's transmutation circle in the middle of that makes this theory near impossible. It was probably some "promise" tattoo that I know soldiers do. Maybe not that big, but they get them to remember promises they made. It being Riza, that makes sense. Though I am sure something deeper is going on too. Why waste the last page of the end of the volume to highlight such a thing?
fmfan1000
Uh, where do i register to fm_alchemist? Thanks in advance.
Miizah the Huntress
QUOTE(fmfan1000 @ Mar 9 2006, 06:59 PM) [snapback]361010[/snapback]

Uh, where do i register to fm_alchemist? Thanks in advance.

You need a LiveJournal account first of all.

Second go here:
http://community.livejournal.com/fm_alchemist/

That's the group you need after you join LJ. : ) have fun!
*Yukiko
I havn't seen the raws yet, but I do have a couple of (somewhat far out) ideas. (Oh, hi btw! I'm new happy.gif)

For the tattoo... maybe there was some type of transference when Roy killed Lust? If the tattoo is a mix of Oroboros and Flame alchemy maybe she became the new lust somehow... Because when Father was turning Ling into Greed, he said he had an opening for Greed, but made no mention of missing Lust at all... maybe because the position was already filled? (Do the new versions of the Homunculi have to stay the same gender as the previous one? Just curious)

And as for the burn marks and Riza's loyalty, I think it's going to have to do with a small part of the chapter where Roy and Armstrong were discussing what happened during the Ishbal massacre. In one frame, you see someone who has their rifle's scope focused on Roy's head, and the person looked a LOT like Riza. I may be wrong (it's been a while since I read that chapter), but it really looked like her.. Maybe she was supposed to kill him, but he attacked her first (explaining the burn marks), and when she found out his ambitions decided to join him?

Like I said, the ideas are a bit far-fetched, but without seeing the chapter yet, this is the best I could come up with <Don't flame me for them please!!> tongue.gif
MasterKris
For some reason, it seems that this chapter came out fast.... blink.gif
Gah! MUST NOT READ SPOILERS! I ALREADY HAVE BEEN SPOILED WITH SOME KINDA OF DISUCSSION ABOUT BURNED MARKS and TATtOOS!
Nepharski
I've always suspected Riza had some Ishbalian blood, as her eyes were red in all the illustrations I've ever seen.

Haven't seen this chapter yet. Waiting semi-patiently.
Emi-chan
Hi, *Yukiko, and welcome to the forums! happy.gif

For the tattoo... maybe there was some type of transference when Roy killed Lust? If the tattoo is a mix of Oroboros and Flame alchemy maybe she became the new lust somehow... Because when Father was turning Ling into Greed, he said he had an opening for Greed, but made no mention of missing Lust at all... maybe because the position was already filled? (Do the new versions of the Homunculi have to stay the same gender as the previous one? Just curious)

That's bcoz Lust is dead. Forever. Her stone was destroyed. happy.gif
And I thought the tatoo thingie on her back looked more like the thing on Scar's arm...but maybe that's just me.

And as for the burn marks and Riza's loyalty, I think it's going to have to do with a small part of the chapter where Roy and Armstrong were discussing what happened during the Ishbal massacre. In one frame, you see someone who has their rifle's scope focused on Roy's head, and the person looked a LOT like Riza. I may be wrong (it's been a while since I read that chapter), but it really looked like her.. Maybe she was supposed to kill him, but he attacked her first (explaining the burn marks), and when she found out his ambitions decided to join him?

Actually that person WAS Riza (shocked?) And your theory is similar to mine. Maybe Roy was the one who burned her...but why?
*head is flooded with theories*
[attachmentid=4135]
GS4Life
Riza's hot in that pic tongue.gif

and ha I was right

Mei and RanFan are enemies who ended up in a fight that Doc Knox won biggrin.gif
In anyone's face who doubted me! (JK lighten up yessssh!) am now starting to consider the possibility of Al x RanFan even though Ling x RanFan is much more plausible and Ling would get no one. Atually seeing as though The Emperor of Xing pimps out the Chief's Daughter and Greed is just a pimp period he'd probably get more than Ed,Al,Roy, and Havoc combined(especially Havoc poor guy)

BTW I got the Raw version at ZOMGA(sorry if I mispelled it), but whats strange is that I'm not a member, oh well I'm happy. Happy happy happy.
GS4Life
"3- I wub.gif RanFan!! She gets cuter and cuter in every chapter that comes out! And, of course..."
Hey that's my line!

Sonic the Hedgehog:Hey that's my line!
Me:What the RanFan line?
Sonic:No the "Hey that's my line" line(Sonic Adventure 2 ftw)

I know I already posted this, but i knew RanFan and Mei would fight with Dr Knox as the ultimate winner, remember the whole clan rivalry thing.

"6- And, well... What can I say? Oh yes, OMGsome elements apart, we finally got us some fanservice, after Shower!Ed we get Shower!Winry... She still thinks of us... :perverted_face: Thanks, sensei!"

A frickin Men! *puts on perverted face as well*
Toby-Chan
BZUH! The tattoo!

It looks like a more advanced version of Roy's flame sigil. You can also see scarring over it (Burn marks?) so it's probably quite old.

I believe this will fit into the story in a big way. (I've already heard a dozen conspiracy theories.)
MonsterEnvy
So that was winry? it looked a lot like riza to me. It is quite odd that ed wouldn't know that winry had a giant tatoo on her back... and with some of the shirts that she wears, it seems like it would come out the bottom in the back. Can anyone get a definite confirmation on who it was?
Also, Winry would have had to have had that tattoo (if it was winry) when she was young (assuming her parents did it, which also seems doubtful). There would be some serious distortion at this point.
MasterKris
6- And, well... What can I say? Oh yes, OMGsome elements apart, we finally got us some fanservice, after Shower!Ed we get Shower!Winry... She still thinks of us... :perverted_face: Thanks, sensei!

Nah, I think it's Riza. See here and check out her earing.
http://www.fullmetal-alchemist.com/forums/...pe=post&id=4135

And Winry's left earing.
http://www.thedbarchives.com/fma/scans/man...10_ch38_001.jpg

It has to be Riza.

EDIT:Waita minuet, I just noticed.... WINRY HAS HAIR FALLING DOWN ON HER SIDE! RIZA DOESN'T! HOW COULD I HAVE MISSED THAT???????
Toby-Chan
o.O How could anyone possibly thing it's winry. It looks nothing like her, Winry is in Rush valley, and Ed talks to her like Hawkeye.
MonsterEnvy
Some of us can't read japanese... i thought it was riza, but a number of people (including sensenic) seemed to think otherwise
Qeomash
It was definitly Riza. Rush Valley would be one heck of a trip for Ed to make that late at night. He's just taking her her gun back, after all. And why would Hayatate be with Winry?

The tatoo...I really don't know about it. It's Roy's tatoo, definitly, but it has more around it. The twin snakes with crowns... Did Wrath/Father put that on her at some point? A way to "contain" Roy's alchemy? But when could they have done that...
GS4Life
Doh, I should've paid more attention to Sensenic's post
-I put the uneeded spoilers tag in
-It is cleary Riza,
1.Ed looks at the gun before leaving(so he probably just went to return it)
2.If you look at the 2nd last page you notice that she cdoesn't look like Winry
3. Black Hayate is there, yeah it's Riza. So MonsterEnvy you were right.

I'm still in disbelief that I had forseen RanFan and Mei fighting and Knox winning, it was originally meant to be a joke, not anymore huh? I wonder if Scar actually killed Marcoah or not...... We will find out next month(next month, cries a whole nother month)
Ah well until then Star Wars Battlefront 2 will occupy me (goes to force choke random ewoks) Muwhahaha

Kirara
I think Sensenic meant to say Riza, he was probably just so excited that he typed Winry instead.

Wow this chapter was amazing. First of all I want to say that I think Riza will tell Ed about Ishbal and that is how we will get into the flashback. Afterall he is going to notice the Scar and Riza will explain it to him.

Oh but I really love how Arakawa showed us both "physical" and "emotional" scars in this chapter. Armstrong, Marcoh and Knox had the emotional scars and Riza had the physical ones.

Riza's tatoo looks sort of like Roy's array. It's just an educated guess but maybe he saved her life and this is at least part of the reason why Riza is so devoted to Roy.

Also the Ran Fan and Mei are LOVE biggrin.gif

More comments after I get the rest of the translation.
MonsterEnvy
wow, i just saw a post on the zomgfta site about riza being a homunculus...

of all the absurd theories, that's probably one of the most... though havoc as pride comes close. I suppose this is what happens when we star anticipating our monthly FMA fix too much...
Toby-Chan
Come to think of it, I haven't read anything with the Xing characters in raw. (Mostly because my Japanese comprehension is crap and it's easier to wait for scanlations) But Lanfan's dialect was something of a surprise to me. I'd expected her to be a lot more... formal of an individual.
kaizenyorii
QUOTE(MonsterEnvy @ Mar 9 2006, 11:09 PM) [snapback]361082[/snapback]

wow, i just saw a post on the zomgfta site about riza being a homunculus...

of all the absurd theories, that's probably one of the most... though havoc as pride comes close. I suppose this is what happens when we star anticipating our monthly FMA fix too much...

if havoc was pride why would lust date him for information
MonsterEnvy
of course. I was simply citing it as some of the inane things people come up with.
MasterKris
if havoc was pride why would lust date him for information

True dat!
Man, this Riza+Taboo is making a HUGE cliffhanger.... I just like it how Arakawa-sensei is adding more spotlight to Riza now! biggrin.gif
kaizenyorii
QUOTE(MonsterEnvy @ Mar 9 2006, 11:13 PM) [snapback]361087[/snapback]

of course. I was simply citing it as some of the inane things people come up with.

i read your comment wrong, sorry my bad ph34r.gif

in any case, i really think that we can look forward to hearing why Rizas so loyal to Roy in the near future
Antimony
Waaah!! I typed a big long response but it didn't go through! To sum up, Riza's tattoo surprised me, I saw this whole chapter as foreshadowing of an Ishbal flashback, and I'm curious about what Ed's doing. First he's in bed, then he's talking to Breda, then he's visiting Riza? What is he up to?
Qeomash
Ed's hit the wall. He's extremly tired, but he's now too tired to sleep. You gotta love it when that happens...
MonsterEnvy
You did that translation before, right? can you give us a quick summary of the talking bits?
MonsterEnvy
You don't need to be a member of zomgfta, just livejournal groups.
Qeomash
Me? O.O No, I didn't translate...I did the scanlating at one point. All my statements are guesses from what little Japanese I can read (no more than recognizing names, really) and just what's going on in the pictures.
MonsterEnvy
Ah, well. That's unfortunate, then. Hopefully sakura and umeko will have it done soon.

According to the zomgfta site....

Translation: 100%
Blanking: 100%
Editing: 61%

They're apparently taking a break, so the chapter should be done by tomorrow afternoon.
*Yukiko
Wow... that chapter was insane... And that tattoo was a lot bigger than I was expecting..... after looking at it up close, it definitely has 2 intertwined snakes, so it's not exactly an oroboros since the snake's not eating it's own tail. It really does look like and remind me of the Ishbalan warrior priest tattoos though... maybe she had something to do with Scar's brother who was working on the Philosopher's Stone? Maybe once she decided to work for Roy she wanted a symbol to remind her of her past yet keep her looking towards the future? (this only works if she really was from Ishbal... looks like it though since in an earlier chapter when Roy and Armstrong were talking about the massacre the person who had their rifle scope on Roy's head looked like Riza).

Ed was there because he realized that he still had Riza's gun. He remembered that she's supposed to start working for the Fuhrer, and knowing the Fuhrer's violent history, he believes that he needs to return the gun to her for her own safety. He calls the office where Breda picks up to get her address.

And to solve an earlier issue in the other Chapter 57 post, Marcoh DEFINITELY told Scar to kill him. He was incredibly clear that he wanted to die. (I understood a lot of the chapter... if there's a specific part you'd like for the dialogue I can give you a decent estimate of what they're saying)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.