Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fma 51 - 10/2/2004 - End
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1) > Original Japanese episodes (with sub)
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Torx
Did he exchange his memories or were they not in the brain of Al's original body? wink.gif
Chibi Viki
I think Al (the kid) and Al (the armor) were 2 entirely different entities. it was mentioned, in ep 20+ that the soul was nothing more than a collection of information, memories, of that one person. so the soul of Al (the armor) might have been considered a copy of Al's soul but not the original.

you guys think that the Al (the kid) would ever inherit the memories of Al (the armor)?
CoolS
well both Izumi and Hikari no Hohenheim said Al's memories were taken as equivalent trade

" Al was probably able to regain his body because those two offered 4 years of hard work and toil as equivalent trade" Izumi

" You two went on a journey, you met many people along the way. Saw many things, you suffered you worked hard. Everything you experienced, that was your equivalent trade" Hohenheim

I believe that's why he lost his memory tongue.gif
Torx
Al didn't want to exchanged just his memories though. He wanted to exchange himself as a whole... Just like Ed did, except it only cost him an arm and a leg.
Just A Bystander
Man! You guys have really made me anxious to get the rest of this series (couldn't get ahold of anything past ep40 so far sad.gif ) and finish watching it! Love, hate, tantrusm and raves, FMA has it all in terms of viewer response!

The ending seems okay to me, the ideas are semi-plausible and it leaves enough room for an exciting extention in the movie, although things do seem *way* too rushed for series's own good. But hey...

Just one question that no one seems to have picked up on. The movie is supposed to be 2 years after conclusion of the series (is that right?), but with 2 seperate worlds and timelines (which seem to operate at different speeds), is it 2 years later in Ed's world or the 'real world'?

Spoiler: (Click here to Display)

Just my 2cents! It's been fun while it lasted! (at least the manga's still going!)
Quistis88
Finished watching the final episode! I'm quite happy with the outcome (ohh, the Royai . . . loved it!). A little overwhelmed at the moment, so not much to comment that hasn't already been said already! I'm looking forward to the movie.
Queen of the dammed
What I'd like to see in the movie is Roy and Riza's kids, and Ed looking really hot tongue.gif
Tama
Ed looks too tall in the movie. and is the movie being made by Arakawa or his it a different person doing the art?
Ailuro
Okay no bashing, but in the movie I'd finally like to see something between Winry and Ed.
Quistis88
I suppose the Winry/Ed thing WOULD work out a little better now that Ed's into mechanics as well.
Ailuro
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Oct 9 2004, 05:41 AM)
I suppose the Winry/Ed thing WOULD work out a little better now that Ed's into mechanics as well.

Woo. A supporter! TwT
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Just A Bystander @ Oct 8 2004, 05:44 AM)
Man! You guys have really made me anxious to get the rest of this series (couldn't get ahold of anything past ep40 so far sad.gif ) and finish watching it! Love, hate, tantrusm and raves, FMA has it all in terms of viewer response!

The ending seems okay to me, the ideas are semi-plausible and it leaves enough room for an exciting extention in the movie, although things do seem *way* too rushed for series's own good. But hey...

Just one question that no one seems to have picked up on. The movie is supposed to be 2 years after conclusion of the series (is that right?), but with 2 seperate worlds and timelines (which seem to operate at different speeds), is it 2 years later in Ed's world or the 'real world'?

My guess is on 2 years in Ed's world, where Al has finally gained enough knolwedge again about Alchemy to attempt to go through the gate and find his brother. Meanwhile, the 'real world' will have advanced to post 1939 (prob around 1942-43) and WWII, where the gathering of mythical and scientific artifacts/experiements in Nazi Germany (or Europe in general) will provide Ed with the means to get back through the gate. Envy will have made it through the gate, and be the predominant villian in the 'real world' (otherwise we'll have an 'Ed's homeward-bound journey' movie which would soooooooooo suck for a action/drama series like FMA)

Just my 2cents! It's been fun while it lasted! (at least the manga's still going!)

Quistis88
Are we even sure that time moves simultaneously in both worlds?

And Ailuro . . . sorry to say this, but I'm actually more of a Al/Winry supporter than Ed/Winry, though Ed/Winry isn't bad. tongue.gif
Gr33D
Ailuro
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Oct 9 2004, 06:55 AM)
Are we even sure that time moves simultaneously in both worlds?

And Ailuro . . . sorry to say this, but I'm actually more of a Al/Winry supporter than Ed/Winry, though Ed/Winry isn't bad.  tongue.gif

My confidence, shattered like a pane of glass. T-T
wtv
They said that Ed is 18 in the movie so he can't be 20/21, maybe the time between the worlds changes differently?
Omakase Shimasu
Had a lil' question about the last ep., when Ed 'died' he was transported to the Gate. So does this mean whenever an Alchemist[/human] dies, their soul will automatically wind up on the other side...? blink.gif
Quistis88
QUOTE(Ailuro @ Oct 9 2004, 01:13 AM)
My confidence, shattered like a pane of glass. T-T

Awwww, I'm sorry. I'll make it up to you! *hands over a cookie*
Ailuro
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Oct 9 2004, 10:48 PM)
Awwww, I'm sorry.  I'll make it up to you!  *hands over a cookie*

Okay! *runs off with cookie* ph34r.gif
wait i dont get it why cant Ed meet Al again after they return to normal?
iamamoogle
When Haushoffer says, "Thats enough for today" after chanting, the person behind him removes his cloak (Sonchou fansub - 18:35). Is it just me, or does the person behind Haushoffer look like Archer?

Then again, it could just be that angleand the darkness because when Hoenheim and Houshoffer are walking the person next to Houshoffer looks sort of like the person from before, but not like Archer.

In like episode 46 (or somewhere around there). Izumi shows Ed a letter from Hoenheim to Dante. There she explains that, basically, in Ed's world, Christianity is a long forgotten religion. Wouldn't that suggest that our world and Ed's are the same?

When they first brought up London and how Central was built over a city that was lost due to the creation of the Philospher's stone by Hoenheim and Dante, I thought maybe that London was the city under Central. Then again they aren't on an island like Britain, but maybe its some other European country or that alot has changed in the 400 years (I think it was that many years ago that Hoenheim's letter was dated). So maybe the two worlds were once the same but somehow split?

About Gluttony and Dante... I'm not to sure what happened there... then again we probably aren't supposed to yet, heh. For one, Dante doesn't have much time left in Lyra's body so maybe she takes over Gluttony's, then again thats probably a long shot.

I can't remember correctly, but was Lust killed or just sealed by Wrath... If she was sealed, wouldn't it be possible to free her just like Greed? Then again, Lust finally gave up on being human because her only reasoning was so she could die...

Let's see... Sloth was the failed human transmutation of Ed and Al's mom, Envy was the failed human transmutation of Hoenheim's (and Dante?) son, Lust was the failed human transmutation of Scar's brother's girlfriend/wife, and Wrath was the failed human transmutation of Izumi's child... but what about Pride, Gluttony Greed? They may have said something about Gluttony being created to house the philospher's stone (that would explain his lack of intellect and such)... but I can't recall. Did they mention who Pride and Greed were originally?

*shrugs shoulders* Just some ideas and questions to throw out there.

Thats about it, most of those are just little things I thought of while watching... most are long shots, but, oh well. Heh. I liked how they used the same pose for Wrath in auto-mail as they did for Ed earlier in the series, heh.
Airglider
pride was said to be made by dante in one of the episodes. blink.gif For gluttony, i'd assume that it was Hheim doing human transmutation in his previous body.
Dante made Gluttony. None of Gluttony or Pride history was ever said.
Midnight
Hi there! Don't know if this has been said already (too lazy to read every post). One thing I noticed is how people disliked the fact that Al lost his memory. Personally I find this one of the best twists of the ending.
It is stated several times that the sacrifice the brothers made in order to be alive in the end, were the years they spent travelling. That's why Al lost his memory.
I love stories where the journey becomes the goal in itself (Like the first movie/book of the neverending story). And to me Al losing his memory makes perfect sense. His years traveling (both in age/years and in memories) are his sacrifice.

Wonderful ending! I was sceptic about them rounding off such a complex story in twenty minutes, but they did a great job. smile.gif
Kihaku
Yup, I totally agree with you Midnight. My thoughts exactly.... and I was worried too how they would manage to come up with a proper ending for such a short time, but it was great! It was even something I'd call an ending even though it left something for the upcoming film and even without that it would have been good.
Yup, goal accomplished.
There was so much suspense and many questions... I was almost biting my fingernails throughout the episode, which I had to watch almost immediately again in a calmer mood. The Roy& Riza part was what I was hoping for! (And nowadays I eat more apples too). My mean brother wanted him to die so he could see the funeral and me crying(he must have a thing with funerals... loved episode 25)... I expected something different to happen to Al (my brother wanted him too to die ... jeez he and his funerals!)... and all the Homunculus + Dante to be destroyed (I bet my brother thought/wanted so too)...Well I did expect quite many more characters to die, but I loved the way the whole episode surprised me(I'm obviously surprised at many things).
But yeah... the thing with the time is kind of puzzling. Seems like more time passed by in the other world. And Ed died twice... so he basically shouldn't be alive in any world? I guess that's one thing to be explained later(at least hopefully).
Oh and wasn't it that the dying people on the other side provide energy for alchemy... so that's not that fair that they get live only once if the people from the alchemy world just get transported to the other world(besides Ed, who gets an extra life).
Midnight
*lol* Any anime that makes you eat more fruit has got to be good! smile.gif
I don't have a brother so I can't sympathize very much with you on that part. I do have a boyfriend who tends to stop watching series if they become too depressing. (I'll have a hard time getting him to watch FMA wink.gif

Like you, I'm glad they didn't kill off too many people in the end. Who says an ending has to be sad and full of death in order to be good? Besides, the ending of Wolf's Rain has left me depressed enough over characters deaths for the next few years.

And you're right, it doesn't seem fair that Ed gets another life in the other side of the gate. (Although I'm not complaining wink.gif. Then again, perhaps people from this side of the gate (if their energy doesn't get used for a transmutation) get reborn on the alchemy side. smile.gif
Drakhaon

Read this for the answer above guys I think it's the closet conclusion I could come up with...
Kihaku
I used to eat a lot of fruit anyway, but I never cared so much for apples before... now the doctor shouldn't see much of me.
And I have a hard time getting my little brother to watch any anime series in general. He says he hates all anime and manga, but there have been a few exceptions. He seems to like fighting, humour and people dying... still he has to see me watching quite a bit of it or be bored or something to watch anything.
I haven't seen the end of Wolf's Rain yet, but I'm prepared.
And to the topic: Yes, that does make things clearer... a little. So at the end nothing is actually as logical as thought and there are always loop holes for those who understand.
Drakhaon
How old is your brother??? I suppose if he's young it's funny when you see all the people die, cuz it's just that way. I remember when I was little I didn't like anything that was sad I always tried to make it funny but just making fun of the way they died.... Nowaday's though i'm different I suppose because alot of it happens in real life just as much as is does in the anime.

Whats Wolf's Rain??
Kihaku
He's 17, believe it or not. But I don't think he actually thinks it's funny for people to die, he just likes it in general. Traumatic events appeal to him and he likes them to be dramatic. Oh and since I'm off topic (again), to add that my brother (though he probably won't admit it) must have liked FMA for the drama, action and humour. He never mentioned much about the end, besides imagining Roy's funeral halfway through the last episode(for some reason he said "wedding" at first by mistake...hah shows how his thoughts changed after the end). When I then talked about what will happen next he was mostly nonchalant. "It's just a series, it ended and that's it. It doesn't continue." He didn't seem to wonder much, saw the end abstractly(but who knows?). I reminded him about the film though.

Wolf's Rain... a group of wolves sometimes disguised as humans trying to find paradise. Sorry that I'm bad at explanations.
Drakhaon
Yeah I liked the Drama in FMA also... I just hate the fact that it ended now man. I WANT MORE!! I guess I should check the Wolf's Rain out then, lately I've been watching Naruto though.
Queen of the dammed
Wolf's Rain was a seriously good anime... the ending of the OVA kinda confused me though... you should try it out.
Drakhaon
Know of a place where I can find it... I seem to only see ones with spanish subs
Shinobi Alchemist
Now bak to FMA (Naruto is preti cool too) FMA is just a big paradox in animation.
enough people should have seen it by now, warn me and i change it.

1.Al lost his memory cause it was the sacrifice for his body back. Ed lost his arm and leg again, cause you cant always have it your way(not like BK).
2.Ed's body was transfered with him through the gate was because the other Ed's body was destroy. Magic(very end of 51 i think) hasn't been discovered yet and his soul/body/ect. couldnt be turn to energy to used and went through the whole gate.
3.Hohenhiem had the same body because it not his. Envy is the original Hohenhiem, which is still in the gate.

O yeah haven't seen the FMA movie yet.
Shinobi Alchemist
Oh was there ever a post bout Automail? wana read it
Queen of the dammed
Nobody has actualy seen the movie.... it's not even out yet...
Full Flame Alchemist
HA!Some of these are so funny!
Dark State
definetly pride and winry....the fight for who has more of it biggrin.gif

also...winry has the wrench...I'd be afraid of that, even if I were a homonculus
phoenix dying
I agree, a flying wrench of doom. Muahhhhhhh
Kitoky
Some of these are....out there o.o

I guess Izumi and Dante....
konic vince
haha Armstrong fighting against Selim...wow that's very far out
sumflip
Envy vs Nina all the way ph34r.gif ...my money's on Nina...
Full Flame Alchemist
I would like to see Pinako fight. laugh.gif
Ailuro
Izumi vs Dante would be awesome. They're both pretty evenly matched when it comes to alchemy and Izumi has some aweomse fighting moves. It would truly be a fight worth watching.
Phoenix_alchemist
Hawkeye and Hohenheim, just for kicks.
Fresh_Coffee
Izumi VS Dante, I wanna see Izumi kick her butt!
Edwardlover15
I would like to see the charaters that haven't fought in any episode I've seen yet....
Dark State
for a serious note: I would have liked to see some homuculus vs. homculus fights
Prinz_Zoisit
i wanna see noble lust against anyone, no matter who^^
white dragon knight
Izumi against Dante out of these ( Dante would be destroyed, go Izumi) but I would love to see Scar and Greed fight, I really wonder who would win, I think Scar
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.