Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Server Issuse
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Site Support Center > Technical Support & Questions
Popogeejo
Atleast once a day,for 2-3 hours this site keeps going down.Usually between 8-10pm GMT
Whenever I try to get here t comes up Error 404.
Is it a temporay server problem or just something that I have to grim and bear with?
Celestial Shadow
Yeah, um...I've been wondering what's with the server too.
Zarpia
laugh.gif We all have at some point.
bryantq
I just ordered a new server -- hopefully itll be here in 2 weeks sad.gif (what a long order time).
Popogeejo
W00t!You rock. biggrin.gif
asunder
it's about time for a new server....
gg paladin

can we get those requests i asked about before?
bryantq
no tongue.gif but for $450 you can. lol thats the cost of the barebone smile.gif

ideally i'd liek to save up another $450 and buy fma it's own server too.
Tombow
QUOTE(bryantq @ Mar 9 2006, 10:18 PM) [snapback]361095[/snapback]
ideally i'd liek to save up another $450 and buy fma it's own server too.
Awww, @bryantq-sama - It' will be so nice if our FMA forums can get the own devoted server!! And, we can get it for only $450!! (Well, ok, maybe a barebone for that price, but still...) I mean, of course that's a big sum of money, but with the number of members we have on our board, I'm just wondering...
Is there any thing we can do to bring that server sooner??? Such as, starting the FMA forum server funds, or something like that, and see if some of more economically less-challenged members could contribute to the good cause for our board???
(Not that I know how to set it up, and there is always a good chance that it may not amount much, given that many of the members here are teens or college/grad school students, but still, it might help a little??? And, we'd never know untill we try, right?? smile.gif )
Just wondering.... happy.gif

And, meanwhile, we have some urgent plea from the FMA anime American (Adult Swim) viewers forum (or, just from me tongue.gif ) for the next two Saturdays...

Ahem... If it is possible, could you try to keep this board on-line during the night/late night hours for this Saturday, and next Saturday, when Adult Swim will air FMA anime episode 50 (airs this Saturday, March 11) which is known for being one of the biggest episodes, if not the biggest episode of the series(!!) and episode 51, also known as, SERIES FINAL!! (airs on next Saturday, March 18,) and right afterword when it's crucial to have the board on-line for the discussions on our talk-back thread.

---These days FMA anime airs Satuarday late night (Sunday 12:00-12:30 AM Eastern Time/Saturday 11:00-11:30 PM Central Time) and the talk-back discussions will take place right afterwards.

It's sort of disheartning when this board goes off-line, just when we are so eager to discuss about the FMA episode just aired, and frantically try to get some consolation by visiting some other FMA boards, that are always open, yet so much less to offer. sad.gif

If not possible, then I understand, but if somehow we can get the board to stay on-line for these next two Saturday nights/late night hours, that will be super appreciated!!! smile.gif
bryantq
Yes i will ensure the server stays up for that.

And actually my retailer just cancelled my order for the server saying they cant keep up with the demand sad.gif

I think im going to have to fork out about $750-$1000 for one.
Popogeejo
Ouch.thats a fair chunk o' change.Still,we're worth it.
Celestial Shadow
Are you getting a server like...Microsoft Server 2003 or something?
Tombow
Thank you, bryantq-sama for keeping tha board on-line!! happy.gif

And, sorry about not getting that $450 server... sad.gif
QUOTE(Celestial Shadow @ Mar 11 2006, 09:18 PM) [snapback]361864[/snapback]
Are you getting a server like...Microsoft Server 2003 or something?
Yes, yes, tell us more about the new sevrer you are eyeing on...
(Not that I know anything about servers... tongue.gif )

bryantq
More specifically the hardware.

I was looking at purchasing a Sun Fire X2100 or X4100 Server.
The X2100 ATO Base system would have been ideal, however they discontinued that product.

Thus, i have purchased a new Dell 1U server with a dual 3.0Ghz Xeon.

The operating system that we use on all of our websites is Centos - based on Redhat Enterprise (Rhel 4).

The new server cost about $1200 -- without ram or hard drives.

As far as the site being worth it tongue.gif i suppose so wink.gif It doesnt make me money but i like FMA so go figure i might as well contribute.

If you guys want to setup a fund or something, go ahead and do that but I cant directly do that and ask for money wink.gif

The new server will be used to house phoenixnetworks.net and fullmetal-alchemist.com, while the old server will be used soley for readmanga.com -- which i have disabled for the weekend to ensure that this website stays up smile.gif

Readmanga.com is the website that hurts the server the most.
Elemental/Alchemist
i don't know much about servers (even though i've been known to understand computer software, i'm not so good), but thanks a lot bryantq, for the server, the site and the forum!!!
(i never did say my thanks to u, the site owner, before, so i suppose now's the time happy.gif )
asunder
QUOTE(bryantq @ Mar 12 2006, 01:08 AM) [snapback]362044[/snapback]

More specifically the hardware.

I was looking at purchasing a Sun Fire X2100 or X4100 Server.
The X2100 ATO Base system would have been ideal, however they discontinued that product.

Thus, i have purchased a new Dell 1U server with a dual 3.0Ghz Xeon.

The operating system that we use on all of our websites is Centos - based on Redhat Enterprise (Rhel 4).

The new server cost about $1200 -- without ram or hard drives.

As far as the site being worth it tongue.gif i suppose so wink.gif It doesnt make me money but i like FMA so go figure i might as well contribute.

If you guys want to setup a fund or something, go ahead and do that but I cant directly do that and ask for money wink.gif

The new server will be used to house phoenixnetworks.net and fullmetal-alchemist.com, while the old server will be used soley for readmanga.com -- which i have disabled for the weekend to ensure that this website stays up smile.gif

Readmanga.com is the website that hurts the server the most.

i'll start collect yaoi manga for you...that and making sure all your econ project partners are morons smile.gif
where will the *cough*other forum*cough* be located? did you vote yet? (and did you watch ep 16!)
Tombow
@bryantq-sama -Thank you so much for giving FMA forums more on-line time last Saturday, and also this coming Saturday!!

And, about the FMA Server Funds (that helps getting better hardwarers for our board)...
I was hoping there might be already some type of account, to which we can add on our contributions (if/when some of members are willing, and able to,) but if not and it have to be set up new, I'm at loss, tho, I'd love to see something set up. So...
HELP!! Someone, please take an initiatiive!! unsure.gif
Valérie
bryantq: You can maybe create a paypal account for the site? I don’t really know how paypal work, but all the members who are interested and have one would be able to send you money easily.
I have no paypal account but I would like to add a contribution even if it is just a little amount^^… From France, I can send money with International Postal Money Order or Western Union…
Tombow
@bryantq-sama -Once again, thank you so much for giving FMA forums more on-line time last Saturday, for the discussions after airing of FMA anime series final episode on CN!!

And, one more time, about the FMA Server Funds ....

HELP!! If anyone have some ideas on how to proceed so that we can create some kind of account where members who are able to, and willing to can contribute some to help our board for getting better hardwares, please take an initiatiive for this and lead us!! Or, just post and let us know of your ideas!!

@Valérie - Yeah, I was thinking about paypal, too. Tho, I don't know exactly how to go about... happy.gif
Le Monkey
If Bryantq set up a paypal account, he could set up a button that could be posted on the site so that members who can spare the money (Or want to donate generally) then enter how much they want to donate. You now dont need a paypal account to send money over paypal, so it would be fine for normal users.
It has a minimal cost for reciving funds so it will be quite usefull for this.
Tombow
QUOTE(le monkey @ Mar 22 2006, 04:10 PM) [snapback]367301[/snapback]
If Bryantq set up a paypal account, he could set up a button that could be posted on the site so that members who can spare the money (Or want to donate generally) then enter how much they want to donate. You now dont need a paypal account to send money over paypal, so it would be fine for normal users.
It has a minimal cost for reciving funds so it will be quite usefull for this.

Wow, that is a great idea!! Thanks, le monkey!!
Soooo, Bryantq-sama, is it possible you can get a Paypal (or some other similar) account for this pourpose??? And, if so, could you set up a button here??
Envy's lil' miniskirt
I'll chip in some change for a new server and I'm sure others will too. Who knows, between all of us we just might be able to fund the whole new server for you. biggrin.gif
Celestial Shadow
QUOTE(bryantq @ Mar 12 2006, 02:08 AM) [snapback]362044[/snapback]

Why can't you directly ask?
asunder
QUOTE(Celestial Shadow @ Mar 29 2006, 06:49 PM) [snapback]371221[/snapback]

QUOTE(bryantq @ Mar 12 2006, 02:08 AM) [snapback]362044[/snapback]

Why can't you directly ask?

we'd stop giving him free sexy tora pictures if we knew he was getting money.
Tombow
I did little checking on Paypal, and I like the idea because with the Paypal account there will be a record of each "support" (fund-giving,) I think. smile.gif

But, is it true that to accept credit card payment on Paypal, it has to be a "commercial account", but for commercial Paypal account, a persentage of every incoming funds will go to Paypal as a fee, even non-credit card payments.... and, tho that is not the case with non-commercial account, with non-commercial Paypal account the payment will be accepted by fund transfer or e-chec only, and no credit card payment is accepted... ???

Now, I don't know whether the above is true or not, so if anyone who knows more about Paypal can confirm or correct this info, that will be appreciated!!! happy.gif
Le Monkey
Paypal dose take 7% of what is donated, but that would be a very small amout so it wouldnt make such a big difference, I have seen other sites that rely on doing this.
Also you could do what other site have done, *Not mentioning names*
and host fansubs up on the server, then make the acces to the downloads of these a special area for "Subscribers" or "Premium" members or the like.. XD They normally charge anywhere between $5-$10 a month for the download links.
Then you have a continuous supply of money through that.
It would make the money colectings less like taking charity if thats what you are getting concerned about....?
But most people who would donate would take it as saying thanks for al the work you do and keeping the froums up, ^^
Tombow
Oh!! Thank you so much Le Monkey for getting the info!!
You're the best!! happy.gif

@Bryantq-sama, could you get an account???
asunder
QUOTE(Tombow @ Apr 17 2006, 09:48 PM) [snapback]382750[/snapback]

Oh!! Thank you so much Le Monkey for getting the info!!
You're the best!! happy.gif

@Bryantq-sama, could you get an account???

hahaha you're not going to get his attention this way.
I'll ask him tomorrow or sometime this week and ask him to post the information himself.

PS: I know who he's rooming with at the upcoming convention
Tombow
^^ Thank you, asu-san!! happy.gif
bryantq
Use the following link to donate wink.gif

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_...charset=UTF%2d8
Tombow
^^ Ummm...is there any way to create a clickable button with that address somewhere on the forum page??
Or, if that is not possible, can we have a thread with that link pinned somewhere on the forums??
asunder
QUOTE(Tombow @ Apr 27 2006, 04:09 AM) [snapback]386609[/snapback]

^^ Ummm...is there any way to create a clickable button with that address somewhere on the forum page??
Or, if that is not possible, can we have a thread with that link pinned somewhere on the forums??

Note the brand spanking new donate button on the left hand side of the page.

<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Popogeejo
Thread Necromancy. My first ever thread no less.

The site keeps going weird for me. Sporadically when I try and get here I'm unable to connect. I'm not having this problem with other sites so I'm pretty confident it's not me, it's you.

Is anyone else having trouble getting here?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.