Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are You A Vegetarian?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Open Talk > Debate District
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Aqua_Alchemist
I used to be a vegetarian but since have given up, how about you guys?
Prinz_Zoisit
i am eating meat, but i unwillingly eat pig-meat(religios taboo?)....

only once/twice a year...
Omakase Shimasu
I like meat too much to ever seriously consider being a vegetarian... <__< I would never be able to hold myself to my promise. Aqua_Alchemist why did you decide to become a vegetarian in the first place, if you don't mind me asking? biggrin.gif

Pig-meat, Prinz? smile.gif
Aqua_Alchemist
Animal rights Kase, the way some animals are treated is horrendous, battery farming etc. They are put straight into miniscule cages from birth, and then are given growth hormones to increase the amount of meat being produced, and they are fed the whole time. Their lives can be as little as four weeks. It is truly horrible. I'm not a vegetarian anymore, but I still only eat organic meat, that I know where it has come from.

However as you may have heard, Oxford is the town of animal rights protestors, with the new university building (next to my Dad's biochemistry building), has stopped being built due to rioting and danger to the contractors. I'm not a protestor myself, but I really would like to give some of those evil people in our world a kick up the a$$.
Omakase Shimasu
Wow, up 'till now I've only met vegetarians who just couldn't stand meat in general. biggrin.gif I think that what you're doing is a marvelous thing. <__< I deserve a kick up my @ss as well, since I really only care about having (at least) three meals per day, regardless of content.

-___- I always feel pity for animals, but never considered doing anything to help them really. Yes, that makes me a dirty .... oh crap, forgot the word... not backstabber... >__< How I hate it when this happens!! Blah, I've got too many flaws. -__-

In any case, it's a great thing to do and hopefully I'll be more considerate next time I go out and buy my foodstuffs. <__<
EditDeath
I'm not one, but my sister is. She's allergic to dairy too, so her food choices are limited. Still, I have to admire the fact that she sticks to her convictions, despite her limited options.
Gashole
If I'm a vegetarian then a T-Rex is a herbivore.
Am I still a vegetarian if I depend mostly on eggs and milk? (Not really meat, but still stuff coming from animals. Poor yellow chicks.)
wolfi1412
definitely not a vegetarian.. I do eat a little but I can't survive without meat..
Prinz_Zoisit
QUOTE(Omakase Shimasu @ Sep 30 2004, 09:45 PM)

Pig-meat, Prinz? smile.gif

hehe^^;; iam sorry, i swear i will never eat pig-meat in the future and i will always think of you guys in this forum!!!!!!!
wolfi1412
I'm trying to cut down the amount of pig I eat... coz they say the meat makes your tummy bigger..
Gashole
If you want a flat tummy, there's a Chinese bitter tea that has proved to be effective. It tasted real bitter, though. laugh.gif
wolfi1412
I think I'll pass
Thievesvinegar
I like eating flesh.
Gashole
Too bad ManBeef.com has shut down. wink.gif
EditDeath
QUOTE(Gashole @ Oct 1 2004, 03:08 AM)
If I'm a vegetarian then a T-Rex is a herbivore.
Am I still a vegetarian if I depend mostly on eggs and milk? (Not really meat, but still stuff coming from animals. Poor yellow chicks.)

You'd still be a vegetarian if you had milk and eggs. Those who don't eat meat or what comes from animals are considered vegan. They're stricter than vegetarians, actually.
Chibi Viki
hehe, i am forever an omnivorous creature. the thought of eating nothing but plants and non-meat food is unbearable...

so... an egg, a baby chicken in its egg, is not meat? then, what is it? just curious...
xrninja
hardcore carnivore, even lettuce in my burger is taboo laugh.gif one of my closest friends is a vegetarian (no meat or eggs, dairy is ok) and we have this ongoing joke for years now about horsemeat, where she'll try to steal the fries or bread or whatever meatless thing i'm eating and i'll tell her that she can't eat it because it's horsemeat. yeah, we don't make much sense. anyway, i don't think i could survive without meat, even after i watched that nasty video in econ about us beef inspection and e.coli. if something like e.coli's gonna kill me, i say dying on a full stomach isn't so bad tongue.gif besides, i tried her meatless meatballs before and they are quite odd. maybe not gross, but definitely odd.

If you want a flat tummy, there's a Chinese bitter tea that has proved to be effective. It tasted real bitter, though.

never risk chinese medicine! that "grow taller" drink thing was DISGUSTING, i only got through two sips before i gave it up. and i shot up in less than a year...
Prinz_Zoisit
QUOTE(Thievesvinegar @ Oct 2 2004, 02:05 AM)
I like eating flesh.

i dunno, but this sounds soooo... >.<

QUOTE(Chibi Viki @ Oct 2 2004, 07:45 AM)
so... an egg, a baby chicken in its egg, is not meat? then, what is it? just curious...

(someone calls in front of your house):
".....BALUUUUUUUUUUUUT!!!!!....."

tongue.gif
Sycia
Quite the opposite. I don't eat vegetables at all... o_O Maybe rice and flour, but I can't stand greens for taste-reasons. Alright, perhaps I do have to consume a little once in a blue moon, but in general, I mostly eat fish. I'd jump at the opporunity to consume beef, pork or chicken, but due to financial stuff (lol I'm pathetic), I stick to fish these days.

The last time I ever had vegetables, I got a nosebleed that wouldn't stop for half an hour, and constipation. -_-; Weird body.
Kasumi
Like many people here, I like meat too much to consider being a vegetarian. The thought of myself not being able to eat anything but non-meat food scares me...
Gashole
Actually I don't mind. I'm more of a cereal/pasta/bread person than a meat-eater. I don't eat too much vegetables either. I used to think that was called being a vegan, but I gues I was wrong.
Riza Babe
i don't eat pig cause i dunno whats they ate at all i don't eat beef cause i don't like the taste i only eat chicken because its nice lol (im picky on my food) (^.^)
Queenozelight
I ea=t anything my parents cook for me...Well,maybe not everything....I hate wheat...Ewwww......Hatehatehatehate!!!I love fish!!!!!
Riza Babe
i hate fish yuk it smells laugh.gif
Omakase Shimasu
*___* Kibbeling~ Fishticks with (forgot the name - pindasaus), anchovis (sp? On pizza?) ....man, I suck at spelling food. tongue.gif In any case, certain fish = okay.
Kasumi
I like salmons. tongue.gif
Sycia
O_O I cannot live without fish. Raw or cooked.

Sushi. Sashimi. Shishamo. Argh. >_< No I can't imagine life without fish. *Sycia is a big fan of Japanese cuisine, prefers it over her own country's local stuff*
xrninja
i love fish too....if it's cooked, i like tilapia, saba (i think that's mackerel in english?) and catfish. but i like sushi and sashimi even more.....maguro, toro, hamachi, saba, sake, shiromaguro, etc! yeah i also like japanese food a lot more than chinese food, but it's okay because my family eats 50-50 anyway tongue.gif and yeah, anchovies on pizza is good~! and on caesar salad.

bottom line, i'd starve if i was a vegetarian wink.gif

Actually I don't mind. I'm more of a cereal/pasta/bread person than a meat-eater.

yikes, carbs....well, i think the whole low-carb diet craze here in the US is pretty stupid. XD
wolfi1412
I"ve just look again at this thread.. and it seems that no one is a vegetarian.
Omakase Shimasu
We're all bad. tongue.gif

smile.gif You know, this reminds me of that bf/gf poll. Nobody had one. laugh.gif
Aqua_Alchemist
I seem to remember there was one, but that was when I was a guest, or maybe that was another forum.

BTW, I hate it when people, say bf/gf in speech, it sounds really stupid, it doesn't apply in this context though tongue.gif.
Omakase Shimasu
Mah~ I was lazy when I posted that~ Still am~ tongue.gif (I almost wanted to say bg... why?)
wolfi1412
I still can't believe how to survive without meat..
Lady Battousai
Well, I could since my culture is every twice a month I could if not must, be a vegetarian.

WARNING: If you are eating meat right now, do not read this. You have been warned!

Mostly, I hate meat when I imaging it came from animals. Ughhh...the pain. They got slaughtered and then ate by people.
Sycia
I find there's nothing wrong killing for meat / sustainance. It's a natural thing. Eat or be eaten.

I DO, however, have a VERY big thing against killing animals for anything else like skin for luxury clothes or nonsense like that. Or rhinos for their horns, tigers for their bones, elephants for their tusks... etc etc. I hate that.

Alright. I'll shut up now.
Kihaku
What! I'm actually the only vegetarian! Hmm... I like the taste of meat in general, but well, I just don't like to eat animals. But I don't have anything against those who eat meat. As already stated, it's a natural thing. People were meant to eat other animals... I'm just a nature defying type tongue.gif *wants to defy all laws of nature and physics*. I just always had a problem with seeing animals killing other animals, seeing them be eaten...*childhood traumas*. The episode in FMA when Ed and Al were on the island was freaky to me too...
People go on about me not eating healthily and it being bad for sports and blah... well I eat eggs and drink milk anyway and don't grow anymore soo...
plus my haemoglobin is high anyway tongue.gif (well, at the moment).
SailorSev
I'm not a vegetarian, but my sister is, and so is my best friend. She's Hindu - Brahman. They aren't supposed to eat meat, but her dad does ^__^. She won't even touch meat. She doesn't eat eggs or drink milk. She likes soy milk.
hagane no hitsuji
You're not alone, Kihaku. I'm a vegetarian aswell.

I wish meat grew on trees so I could actually eat it. sad.gif

Or maybe if they bred an animal that wants us to eat it, that would be cool (like the one they had in Douglas Adams' 'The Restaurant at the End of the Universe' book. That's such a brilliant idea!).
RoyxRiza BigFan
usually when i am on diet..its strictly vegetables and fish for me with medicine >___<

only potatoes, broccoli and one fish..thats it ><
-Zhou Yu-
I eat both, therefor I am a robot
Sapphire Alchemist Naur
.........ok I tried posting some whole rant on my dislike for anti-hunting arguments to explain part of my reasoning with eating meat, but I lost the stupid connection and thusly a good 10 minutes of typing that I'm not going to repeat >.<
Kihaku
hagane no hitsuji: Yay! Another vegetarian! I actually don't mind not eating meat, it's just what the others say that bugs me... I like meat, but can easily live without it. Vegetarian food tastes much better anyway biggrin.gif and I feel better that I don't have to eat animals
Are you saying that if meat wasn't an animal then you would eat it?
I still wouldn't want to eat an animal that wants to be eaten...it's still an animal, but I guess it would be easier.. I don't know
tongue.gif
RXR BigFan: Medicine????
Chain Alchemist
i can never understand why some vegans/vegetarians believe that not eating meat will save animals from cruelty...

no offense or anything, i'm just perplexed.
hitokiri
we must kill animals one way or another, that is the role that omnivores play within the natural order of things. all animals must kill other animals in some capacity, whether this be for defense, through compeptition for lands, or as a result of hunting for food. only humans are foolish enough to think that all life is equal and has rights, nature is a cruel mistress.

with that said i do find it wasteful of western society to only eat roughly 2/5 of any animal that is slaughtered. though it could also be argued said animals would not exist if it would not have been for the fact that they are bred for the express purpose of being killed for meat. in which case they MUST be killed, lest their existance be an unbalancing factor for the ecosystem they exist in.

as for the organic meat argument, well it is a good solution except for one factor... based upon the extended lifespan and current eating habits for humanity as a whole, earth does NOT have the resources to support all the animals required to sustain humanity in an organic manner. there simply is not enough grazing land. either humanity has to shift to a higher plant to meat ratio within our diets or more effiecient animials must be eaten.

as for animal cruelty issues, if you personally don't support skin as fashion don't buy it. but there are those who do, and is their right. however anyone that has a prolem with animal testing better use only ancient remedies, as all medicines must be animal tested to ensure that there are no side effects before human trials. even with the ancient remedies certain treatments must require animals to die. it is the simple truth of nature that any being higher on the food chain has the right to do with whatever they wish to any animal lower on it, as long as such actions do not endanger the continued existance of the higher being's species. this does not factor in morality or any other likewise concepts as within nature such things are irrelevant.
Chain Alchemist
QUOTE(hitokiri @ Dec 10 2004, 08:25 PM)
we must kill animals one way or another, that is the role that omnivores play within the natural order of things. all animals must kill other animals in some capacity, whether this be for defense, through compeptition for lands, or as a result of hunting for food. only humans are foolish enough to think that all life is equal and has rights, nature is a cruel mistress.

with that said i do find it wasteful of western society to only eat roughly 2/5 of any animal that is slaughtered. though it could also be argued said animals would not exist if it would not have been for the fact that they are bred for the express purpose of being killed for meat. in which case they MUST be killed, lest their existance be an unbalancing factor for the ecosystem they exist in.

as for the organic meat argument, well it is a good solution except for one factor... based upon the extended lifespan and current eating habits for humanity as a whole, earth does NOT have the resources to support all the animals required to sustain humanity in an organic manner. there simply is not enough grazing land. either humanity has to shift to a higher plant to meat ratio within our diets or more effiecient animials must be eaten.

as for animal cruelty issues, if you personally don't support skin as fashion don't buy it. but there are those who do, and is their right. however anyone that has a prolem with animal testing better use only ancient remedies, as all medicines must be animal tested to ensure that there are no side effects before human trials. even with the ancient remedies certain treatments must require animals to die. it is the simple truth of nature that any being higher on the food chain has the right to do with whatever they wish to any animal lower on it, as long as such actions do not endanger the continued existance of the higher being's species. this does not factor in morality or any other likewise concepts as within nature such things are irrelevant.

*applauds*

I concur.

refusing to eat a palte full of beef is even more cruel than eating it- at least when you eat the beef you' haven't let the animal's death go to waste.
edsgirl
Gluttons! Nah just JK. We all should be grateful for the meat we get.
RoyxRiza BigFan
QUOTE(Kihaku @ Nov 20 2004, 06:22 PM)

RXR BigFan: Medicine????

well its mainly organic food..medicine concution stuff all organic rolleyes.gif
Kihaku
QUOTE(Chain Alchemist @ Dec 10 2004, 07:23 PM)
i can never understand why some vegans/vegetarians believe that not eating meat will save animals from cruelty...

no offense or anything, i'm just perplexed.

I don't know any vegetarian who thinks that way. I certainly don't.
No one can make a difference by not eating meat. That's just a preferance I guess. It's not going to stop people from breeding animals for meat..
Eating animals, doesn't mean that you have to be cruel to them.. but I do hope that they at least have a happy life before they die, they deserve that.
And yes.. throwing meat away is prety cruel in a way. An animal died for that.. and it ends up as a wasted death? I really hope people don't do that.

hitokori: Oh yes! biggrin.gif Although I would be one of those people who believes in equal rights tongue.gif .
sasuki_604
I'm not a Vegetarian, but I do prefer fruits and veggies than meat.
Quistis88
I am not a vegetarian either. I love meat too much to give it up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.