Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are You A Vegetarian?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Open Talk > Debate District
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Lucrezia
I am vegetarian as of today. They made us watch a rather nasty video about animal cruetly in PSE. Never eating meat ever again. Although I do still eat fish. Even though I hate it. My mother is still making me eat it.
sweety_pie
QUOTE(Lucrezia @ Jun 23 2006, 06:47 PM) [snapback]415351[/snapback]

I am vegetarian as of today. They made us watch a rather nasty video about animal cruetly in PSE. Never eating meat ever again. Although I do still eat fish. Even though I hate it. My mother is still making me eat it.

My Mom tries to make me eat meat too. She also trys to get me to drink milk, but I won't.
I haven't ate fish for like two years. I just don't like the taste of fish. Before I became a vegetarian, I coludn't eat fish, cause I throw up if I tried.
Ice Blizzard
No, Eating only fruits and vegetables is Nasty
PUKE
QUOTE(void)
Vegans are annoying.

And why is that? Is it because they just prefer eating vegetables? Heehee. How ignorant, I find people like you so amusing!

Anyway, I am not a full vegetarian. I rarely eat meat because I hate the thought of how the animal was slaughtered . But then again, some meat is quite tempting.
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(PUKE @ Jun 23 2006, 09:10 PM) [snapback]415453[/snapback]

QUOTE(void)
Vegans are annoying.

And why is that? Is it because they just prefer eating vegetables? Heehee. How ignorant, I find people like you so amusing!
No, it's because they're smug, dogmatic assholes who think they're better than anyone else.
asunder
QUOTE(Void @ Jun 23 2006, 09:12 PM) [snapback]415456[/snapback]

No, it's because they're smug, dogmatic assholes who think they're better than anyone else.

Hahaha i know a few people like that, but they're omnivores. point is that anyone can have those traits.
sweety_pie
QUOTE(Void @ Jun 23 2006, 09:42 PM) [snapback]415456[/snapback]

QUOTE(void)
Vegans are annoying.

Not every vegan is like that.Thinking that someone is a certain way just because of their beleifs, is ignorant.
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(sweety_pie @ Jun 23 2006, 10:39 PM) [snapback]415504[/snapback]

QUOTE(Void @ Jun 23 2006, 09:42 PM) [snapback]415456[/snapback]

QUOTE(void)
Vegans are annoying.

Not every vegan is like that.Thinking that someone is a certain way just because of their beleifs, is ignorant.

Every vegan I've met is like that. Preachy and utterly full of shit - ironically two of them are borderline alcoholics.

That's why I direct them to this site.
asunder
QUOTE(Ice Blizzard @ Jun 23 2006, 09:02 PM) [snapback]415450[/snapback]

No, Eating only fruits and vegetables is Nasty

Wow, very persuasive argument. Bonus points on showing your expertise on food and cooking.

Most of the backlash for vegetarians comes from damn hippies...

I'm doing it for religious reasons and magically at the same time not forcing my values on other people biggrin.gif
sweety_pie
I have to admitt that site is kinda funny.Did you make it?

I'm not vegetarian for religious reasons, or so I can force my values on people. I'm vegetarian because, I just don't like the taste of meat.
I'm not a full vegetarian,cause I eat eggs, but only if they're baked into bread, or cake.
asunder
QUOTE(sweety_pie @ Jun 23 2006, 10:47 PM) [snapback]415513[/snapback]

I have to admitt that site is kinda funny.Did you make it?

maddox's site.....he was good back in his early days....it's gotten worse over the years though
PUKE
QUOTE(Void)
Every vegan I've met is like that. Preachy and utterly full of shit - ironically two of them are borderline alcoholics.

Then I'm afraid you had a very poor first impression. Explain to me then how come that I met vegetarians who are nothing like what you label them?
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(PUKE @ Jun 25 2006, 01:45 PM) [snapback]416153[/snapback]

QUOTE(Void)

Then I'm afraid you had a very poor first impression. Explain to me then how come that I met vegetarians who are nothing like what you label them?

Congratulations, darling. You just made a great job making an completely weak argument.

How the hell am I supposed to accept a counter-argument when all the evidence I've seen confirms my own point of view?

And besides, I'm talking about vegans, not vegetarians.
Slashrose1010
I'm planning to become vegan after I leave this house, and I don't act like that. I did when I first became vegetarian, but I don't really push any of my beliefs on anyone any more.
Popogeejo
Next to Furries Vegans have the worst case of Manifest destiny ever.
PUKE
Vegans and vegetarians are pretty much alike, Mistah Void. :/

I ran across some vegans that were way over their asses, but that's still no excuse to label them so harshly.

EDIT: Besides, give them a break. Vegans have a harsh diet and don't need people insulting them. ._.;
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(PUKE @ Jun 25 2006, 01:58 PM) [snapback]416161[/snapback]

Vegans and vegetarians are pretty much alike, Mistah Void. :/

It's a matter of degrees. Plain ol' Vegetarians are easier to tolerate because they drink a less potent version of the Kool-Aid. Vegans are like the hardcore fundamentalist nutcases of their respective movement. Extremists who donate money to ecoterrorist groups and value the lives of furry critters over those of humans. And they make shitty music, to boot [early Carcass notwithstanding].
PUKE
Well, they're just doing what they think is right. At least they value the environment. Its their own personal decision why they go vegan, nobody should criticize them for doing so. Maybe they just dislike how animals and the environment are taken so low into consideration.

Its not being fair that you are being prejudiced just because of the impression they made on you. Not everybody of that category is the same.
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(PUKE @ Jun 25 2006, 02:14 PM) [snapback]416167[/snapback]

Its not being fair that you are being prejudiced just because of the impression they made on you. Not everybody of that category is the same.[/font]

It's not prejudice if they've made a direct impression on me. They've had plenty of chances to prove me wrong and have failed to do so.

Plus, it's not such a cut'n'dry moral crusade if they're willing to destroy property and injure people for the sake of their beliefs, as they've proven themselves to be.
PUKE
I'll admit there are some that are over-obsessed with "protecting" the earth that they start being real assholes. I am not agreeing with those methods to convince people.

Not all vegans are like that, some can be quite easy to get along with and can be caring for the environment as well. I still am doubtful with the statement that all vegans are arrogant and aggressive, since I don't believe one category of people should be labeled because of bad things some of those people did.

As for me, I'm in the mood for some green tea , so I'll leave you people alone. I'll be back later to start this up again if I am in the mood.
Slashrose1010
My brother is pretty much vegan, and I have a friend who has converted recently into a vegan, and neither of them are ass holes or impose their beliefs on people. They can discuss their beliefs rationally, but they don't push people to become vegetarian.

Edit:Scratch that, I actually think my other friend is vegan, too. So I know 3 good vegans.
Roy Jr.
The only thing I eat that comes from animals are dairy products. Thus, keeping my protein and calcium intake normal.

I just find the butchering too cruel.
I like animals but not for food. sad.gif
asunder
QUOTE(Roy Jr. @ Jul 30 2006, 06:46 AM) [snapback]427334[/snapback]

The only thing I eat that comes from animals are dairy products. Thus, keeping my protein and calcium intake normal.

Dairy products won't keep your protein levels normal...need to eat something such as beans to do that. Plus vegetarians are misssing vitamin B12. Very important for memory and other biological processes.
Penelopa the Pegasus
I was one for some time. But when I started to get some health problems and vitamine missings, my doc told me to stop it.;s Although I still don't eat red meat.
AMAG_Chic
Yes, I am a vegeterian but not for the reasons some may think. People believe all vegeterians or vegans don't eat meat because they believe it is a cruelty to animals. Although it true for some, others have different reasons on why they don't eat me. For example, I have meet people who aren't able to eat meat anymore because of health issues, while others just don't have the desire to eat it. As for my reasons, I would go under the latter group.

I don't eat meat because I never really liked the taste of it, or have the craving for it. This would be similiar to those who may not like to eat vegetables. Furthermore, I don't have any issues with people eating meat. In fact, I cook meat all the time for my husband, who loves it. So, I find it ridiculous that some vegeterians or vegans would get so upset when they see a person eating an animal because of their beliefs.
asunder
QUOTE(AMAG_Chic @ Jul 31 2006, 03:37 AM) [snapback]427602[/snapback]

So, I find it ridiculous that some vegeterians or vegans would get so upset when they see a person eating an animal because of their beliefs.

So if you don't eat meat, you may end up finding the whole thing rather disgusting. I've felt the urge to vomit when seeing or smelling raw meat.

I've seen many surgical procedures, performed a plethora of dissections on the human body and still this bothers me. ... In other words, I can spend 6 hours looking and smelling your intestines and other internal organs and not feel quesy or disgusted in the least. But a piece of raw meat on the counter, can turn me into a bulemic case.

And I find it pretty ridiculuous to judge another person's beliefs so smugly as you did. It's called respect, I suggest you learn it.
Miyuki-chan
I will never be a vegetarian coz I hate vegetables ^^;;
but sometimes when I'm in the mood to eat them well....I've got nothing to do about it.
Roy Jr.
QUOTE(asunder @ Jul 30 2006, 06:12 AM) [snapback]427344[/snapback]

QUOTE(Roy Jr. @ Jul 30 2006, 06:46 AM) [snapback]427334[/snapback]

Dairy products won't keep your protein levels normal...need to eat something such as beans to do that. Plus vegetarians are misssing vitamin B12. Very important for memory and other biological processes.

Oh...
Well, that was really helpful.

Thankies!!!! laugh.gif
AMAG_Chic
QUOTE(asunder @ Jul 31 2006, 02:16 AM) [snapback]427613[/snapback]

QUOTE(AMAG_Chic @ Jul 31 2006, 03:37 AM) [snapback]427602[/snapback]

So, I find it ridiculous that some vegeterians or vegans would get so upset when they see a person eating an animal because of their beliefs.

And I find it pretty ridiculuous to judge another person's beliefs so smugly as you did. It's called respect, I suggest you learn it.

Maybe you should listen to your own advice, and I find it odd that you would purposely take one part of my whole post, then twist my words the way you did. There's a huge difference between someone who can't physically stand the smell or look of raw meat, and someone who pushes their beliefs on other people in a rude manner.

I have no issues with vegans who don't like meat because of cruelty to animals, but to hate on every single person that aren't is what I find to be unacceptable. If people don't have a problem with me being a vegeterian, I should also give them that same respect and not berate them everytime they stuff a burger in their mouth.
asunder
Let's go back to your original post shall we?

Yes, I am a vegeterian but not for the reasons some may think. People believe all vegeterians or vegans don't eat meat because they believe it is a cruelty to animals. Although it true for some, others have different reasons on why they don't eat me. For example, I have meet people who aren't able to eat meat anymore because of health issues, while others just don't have the desire to eat it. As for my reasons, I would go under the latter group.

I don't eat meat because I never really liked the taste of it, or have the craving for it. This would be similiar to those who may not like to eat vegetables. Furthermore, I don't have any issues with people eating meat. In fact, I cook meat all the time for my husband, who loves it. So, I find it ridiculous that some vegeterians or vegans would get so upset when they see a person eating an animal because of their beliefs.

I don't believe I've twisted your words at all. In your last post, you added

There's a huge difference between someone who can't physically stand the smell or look of raw meat, and someone who pushes their beliefs on other people in a rude manner.

You didn't once mention forcing one's ideas on another person in your first post. But I didn't INFER that was the context ... simply because that context was not originally present in your first post.

Your logic was "I am not offended. I am around meat and cook it for my husband all the time. It's ridiculous that other people are offended 'because of their beliefs'"

I was defending the right of someone to be offended by a person eating meat in general (including animal cruelty). It probably DISGUSTS them. It's against their culture or beliefs. They have a right to feel upset or offended. And for the record, I do it because of religion which I've already mentioned in this thread. There's a quite a big difference between getting upset/offended and forcing one's ideology on another person.
AMAG_Chic
QUOTE(asunder @ Jul 31 2006, 05:49 AM) [snapback]427678[/snapback]

Let's go back to your original post shall we?

I don't believe I've twisted your words at all. In your last post, you added "but to hate on every single person that aren't is what I find to be unacceptable". You didn't once mention forcing one's ideas on another person in your first post. So I didn't INFER that was the context.

I was defending the right of someone to be offended by a person eating meat in general (including animal cruelty). It probably DISGUSTS them. It's their beliefs. They have a right to feel upset or offended. And for the record, I do it because of religion which I've already mentioned in this thread. There's a quite a big difference between getting upset/offended and forcing one's ideology on another person.

Okay, remember there was a debate between PUKE and VOID about how some vegan would rudely push their views on people and jump at them whenever they see someone eating meat. So when I wrote that last part, it is what I was refering to. Also, neither I or anyone else in here are saying that people shouldn't have their own beliefs or even share it with others; for it is their right, as you said yourself. However, the way some go about is not acceptable.

And wait a secondÖ

Now, after being fully rested and re-reading your post, I must say that Iím flabbergasted. Please correct me if I am wrong, but from what Iím reading you believe that a person should be offended and disgusted by someone because they ate meat; regardless if he or she was eating at a public restaurant that serves all types of food, or if they were enjoying a meal inside their own residence. If correct, then I have to completely disagree with you there. Unless youíre talking about them eating inside your home or bringing meat in a vegan only place, thereís no reason for you or anybody else to be insulted by it; since those people arenít doing anything offensive and have those same rights.

Do you honestly believe that a person who does eat meat want to be constantly judged or looked down upon? I donít think so! Respect is a two-sided thing, not one.

I canít believe Iím siding with the carnivoresÖ -.-Ď

InsaneFangirl
No, I'm not. I love animals, but if they're already dead, there's nothing you can do about it. I tried to go veg, but it didn't work out. One, I don't like veggies...and two, I got WAYYY too skinney.
asunder
QUOTE(AMAG_Chic @ Jul 31 2006, 09:29 AM) [snapback]427683[/snapback]

And wait a second…

Now, after being fully rested and re-reading your post, I must say that I’m flabbergasted. Please correct me if I am wrong, but from what I’m reading you believe that a person should be offended and disgusted by someone because they ate meat; regardless if he or she was eating at a public restaurant that serves all types of food, or if they were enjoying a meal inside their own residence. If correct, then I have to completely disagree with you there. Unless you’re talking about them eating inside your home or bringing meat in a vegan only place, there’s no reason for you or anybody else to be insulted by it; since those people aren’t doing anything offensive and have those same rights.

Do you honestly believe that a person who does eat meat want to be constantly judged or looked down upon? I don’t think so! Respect is a two-sided thing, not one.

I can’t believe I’m siding with the carnivores… -.-‘

So going to a place that serves all types of food removes your right to be offended / upset? This, I disagree with. Respect is illustrated when you don't act on those feelings even though you are upset/offended. You still have a right to feel offended/upset.
edit: i'd write a little more, but my laptop battery is about to die while my a/c adaptor just went kaput.
AMAG_Chic
QUOTE(asunder @ Jul 31 2006, 11:28 PM) [snapback]427887[/snapback]

So going to a place that serves all types of food removes your right to be offended / upset? This, I disagree with. Respect is illustrated when you don't act on those feelings even though you are upset/offended. You still have a right to feel offended/upset.
edit: i'd write a little more, but my laptop battery is about to die while my a/c adaptor just went kaput.

I somewhat agree with you, Asunder. However, a person should assume that when he or she walks inside a steak house, people will be ordering food that will consist of meat. The person can’t really be upset at the people, for the people are innocently eating the food they enjoy. So, I don’t understand why someone would be insulted, when they were the one to put them self in a position to be offended in the first place.

Therefore, if a person can’t stand being in that predicament or finds the place to be repulsive, why not go somewhere else? Wouldn’t it be more pleasant anyway to go to a restaurant where you’re not constantly focusing on the types of food that people choose to eat?

Also, I’m sorry about your laptop smile.gif. I recently had to buy A/C adaptor for mine, and it was kind of expensive.
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Miyuki-chan @ Jul 31 2006, 05:23 AM) [snapback]427615[/snapback]

I will never be a vegetarian coz I hate vegetables ^^;;
but sometimes when I'm in the mood to eat them well....I've got nothing to do about it.

Why is my dog posting here? blink.gif
alchemist x
HAHA bacon tongue.gif mabey.... your dog grew aposable(sp) thumbs while you were sleeping, and then decided to join the fma forums, ohmy.gif and mabey........
Nevermind XD

happy.gif i love my veggies but i love steak to much to be vegitarian, or vegan or whatever
22-250
Of course not.

I'm part of PETA.

IPB Image
dahomunculi
no, I rarely eat meat but still, I can't live without meat-
GREEDisGOOD
I love vegetarians - more meat for me.
Molecular Alchemist
I can't live without my hamburger, though i totally see where vegitarians and vegans are coming from. From my point of view, however, i think that humans have canines as well as molars and various other types of teeth...so, evolutionarily, meat is a good thing laugh.gif
miracle_flame_alchemist147
don't wanna be a vegetarian...
Kenji
Ate vegetarian foods as dinner today... I got hungry very fast though...
Razzy
Sorry, as much as I love animals, I am not a vegetarian. I like meat too much.
Raenef_the_fifth
My second cousin's a vegan I think he/she is weird (there's three of them and I can't keep them straight) I would starve if I was a vegetarian, I mean giving up ribs, bacon, and vension (yes, I ate Bambi) would suck! Not to mention fish, I love fishing, especially if you catch fish and get them cleaned (my dad does this) then eat them for dinner mmm. . . tasty!
Besides that, I can't stand lettuce
You can't really smell it, but it doesen't have a taste either
- BT .hack//sign
The only type of grown food I actually like is mostly fruit or berries (strawberries, blue berries, raspberries, grapes XD <--joking).
Kenji
@Raenef_the_fifth Fruits are so nice to eat!!! especially berries... who doesn't love those seedless tiny fruits huh?? And cherries too..but cherries in my country is expensive... T.T *Grab a watermelon... munch*
Naivete
I'm not vegetarian but I do have two friends who are; one who doesn't eat meat since she thinks it's bad karma and another who thinks the way animals are killed for consumption is disgusting.
Chiyo
^ Isn't that much the same thing? Only one has a fancy world like 'karma' added?
miracle_flame_alchemist147
Though I went to a dinner party once. The food was vegetarian, it was a buffet so I got a plate and placed some food onto my plate then I saw some bacon and chicken I got some of that since I wasn't fond of vegetables. I ate the bacon then suddenly spit it out, my mom told me it was actually vegetables made to look like meat so I din't eat anything during the party. I starved for 3 hours after the party we went to the restaurant and ordered food. THE END

in short the lesson of the story is that to ask if the food is really meat or not...
Naivete
@ Chiyo: o.O
I meant karma as in doing a good deed and receiving a good deed in return. My other friend just doesn't like the way animals are slaughtered; she doesn't expect anything in return.
Popogeejo
QUOTE(baKa-neKoh @ Feb 11 2007, 05:12 AM) [snapback]503818[/snapback]
QUOTE(Chiyo @ Feb 4 2007, 01:02 AM) [snapback]503815[/snapback]
^ Isn't that much the same thing? Only one has a fancy world like 'karma' added?

@ Chiyo: o.O
I meant karma as in doing a good deed and receiving a good deed in return. My other friend just doesn't like the way animals are slaughtered; she doesn't expect anything in return.

...Neither of your friends are expecting rewards for not eating meat. Your Karma friend isn't getting for not eating meat in the same way he/she isn't getting good karma for not exploding babies so Chiyo is right, it's the same thing, only one has different motivation to the other.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.