Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are You A Vegetarian?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Open Talk > Debate District
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
staystill
ya i no how you feel, when i walk past people making meat or just a trash can, it smells badly and sometimes i just hold my breath.
lol
japaneseobesession
QUOTE(Lobotomized Spleen @ Nov 21 2005, 10:20 PM) [snapback]318056[/snapback]

QUOTE(japaneseobesession @ Nov 21 2005, 05:00 PM) [snapback]317967[/snapback]

noooooooo way ><

I've thought about it, of course

but life is like the survival of the fittest

if the animals die from the people who shoot them, they're too weak, too gullible!
so this is how I fend off their misery >D

I don't know if you're being serious or not (one of the many downsides of the internet is not being able to hear the tone of someone's voice), but I'm going to reply as if you were being serious. This isn't a personal attack on you or anything, it's just a convenient way for me to write out my opinion. smile.gif

Survival of the fittest? You know, the funny thing about that is that humans don't need to kill animals to survive. It isn't survival of the fittest. And what's more, the majority of the animals we kill wouldn't think twice about attacking a human.

well, I was half serious (serious about the no way am I being a vegetarian) and halj joking (about the rest)

BUUTTT since you took the time out to type all that out (however, I didn't read all.. <<) I shall reply the first part of this debate! biggrin.gif

Survival of the fittest - if humans can kill animals with the modern technology we invented, that means that we have more superior intelligence than they do....... so in a way, it's like Survivor, only the different people is the different species of organisms (this is getting confusing even to me)

I never said we HAD to kill them, but for people [like me] who either don't like the artificial protein0givers (ie. tofu, soy milk, milk, etc.) we WOULDN'T survive because of lack of proteins, no?

..actually, I'm going to stop right here because I'm both confused and out of ideas to say...(I [almost] typed broth for both!! xDDD)
Thievesvinegar
http://jcruel.com/index1.asp

There's a link to a video that shows the dog and cat fur
trade

Caution: Be advised that there is some graphic
material. Don't say that I didn't warn you.
staystill
that is ----in sick.
how people can actuall do that is really messed up. and just for money
in my eyes, its really fuc messed up
sad.gif
Carnal Malefactor
...I think I'm gonna puke...

f***ing Chinese...
Automne
Exactly...Totally disgusting and cruel...F*ck Versace and Dior or whatever famous designers for encouraging stupid people to wear fur just because they want to look "classy"...And I have other people to insult in mind but I'll just stay at that...

And, japaneseobsession, an animal can be as intelligent or even more intelligent than a human being. Animals just don't have arms and legs like ours, that is already an inconvenient for them. You're talking about surviving, but for me, today, animals are the only ones who survive. Humans, before, needed to eat meat because there wasn't the actual technology but what about now? Nothing stops us to suddenly create artificial meat and I don't think you'd taste the difference, huh? It'll certainly bring more illness and stuff but, hey, look at us now! And this is sure they are some chemical things in meat also because of the way animals are fed and even I, who is a vegetarian, am not sure that what I eat is safe for my health... sleep.gif
Slashrose1010
Haha, I would have to agree with pretty much everything Sinlux said. Survival of the fittest? That is one sad justification or belief or whatever you wanna call it. If we are so intelligent, we could figure out a way to survive without slaughtering animals.

I don't get it. (will use a common example to make point clear) If we, as humans, were to be over run and used as energy, say, as in The Matrix, everyone would give a damn. Of course you will care more about your own safety than that of animals in a situation like that, but, people still view the raising and harvesting of humans wrong, yet we do the same exact things to animals. You who are saying: That is different, we are superior to animals, we are smarter, therefor, we shouldn't be raised and used as a double-A battery. Well, in a scenario like that, the machines are superior to us, so don't bitch when you are a battery.

^I know that is highly unlikely to happen in the near future or maybe even ever, but the moral stance still stays.

I am against fur and leather as well of course, but, I have to confess that I still have a leather belt and leather gloves that I had before I went vegetarian. I should get rid of them, but I have yet to buy a new cloth belt. I woul not, however, purchase any new items produced from an animal.
Carnal Malefactor
I'm not bothered if animals are killed... but torture is another story.
Slashrose1010
But many, if not all animals are tortured in the meat industry...
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Slashrose1010 @ Nov 28 2005, 04:09 PM) [snapback]321044[/snapback]

But many, if not all animals are tortured in the meat industry...

That's a myth.
Slashrose1010
Care to elaborate? Unless your definition of torture is different.

Either way, I would still prefer to be vegetarian.
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Slashrose1010 @ Nov 28 2005, 04:14 PM) [snapback]321047[/snapback]

Care to elaborate? Unless your definition of torture is different.

The meat industry has to be efficient to make a profit. It would be counterproductive of them to torture animals [veal, which I don't eat, being the exception]. They kill animals quickly because it would be foolish of them to do otherwise. If you're talking about stuff like branding, and de-horning of livestock, there have been advancements made in those techniques to the point where the procedures are virtually painless.

The fur industry is a whole other story, obviously.
japaneseobesession
@ SinLuxuria
...true..

..now I feel really sorry for the animals...

:'(
we humans are dispicable creatures...
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(SinLuxuria @ Nov 28 2005, 03:11 PM) [snapback]321023[/snapback]
an animal can be as intelligent or even more intelligent than a human being

We don't eat those ones. laugh.gif
Slashrose1010
Well, I also take the living conditions into consideration when I talk about torture. Yes, I know that there have been advancements in things like branding and the ear tags. When I said torture, I mean things like forcing cows to be impregnated as to produce milk year round (and produce veal), the conditions that animals are kept in (chickens especially) and adding things like steroids and such to make the animals 'meatier'.

As for fish, the mercury content has risen and also since they are taken out of waters that aren't exactly pristine or preferable, they aren't exactly the perfect protein/animal alternative.

@Bacon: Mm, but from your screenname, pigs are intelligent. People still eat them, though.
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Slashrose1010 @ Nov 28 2005, 04:38 PM) [snapback]321062[/snapback]

Well, I also take the living conditions into consideration when I talk about torture. Yes, I know that there have been advancements in things like branding and the ear tags. When I said torture, I mean things like forcing cows to be impregnated as to produce milk year round (and produce veal), the conditions that animals are kept in (chickens especially) and adding things like steroids and such to make the animals 'meatier'.

As for fish, the mercury content has risen and also since they are taken out of waters that aren't exactly pristine or preferable, they aren't exactly the perfect protein/animal alternative.

Look... they're COWS. They're not exactly intelligent animals who have the potential to lead rich, fulfilling lives. Their lives consist of eating, mating and a lot of shitting. Hell, if they weren't raised as cattle, they probably would've gone extinct in the wild by now. It's a creature with very low intelligence and adaptability. And adding growth hormones hardly qualifies as torture.

As for fish, there are steps being taken to reduce the mercury content.
Chiyo
Good lord this has become quite the debate hasn't it? Still I manage to learn something within each arguement I read.

Yes I do agree when I saw films of chikens being so fat they couldn't walk it was upsetting. Even now I randomly check the knees of chicken in shops. If they have heatlthy knees then they have been able to walk around, otherwise they were incapable and so had been drugged to stop them walking.
Slashrose1010
Extinct due to humans overpupolating the land and leaving no room for them to live...

Growth hormones may not exactly seem like "torture" but it is still unnatural. You know, if you the cows get steroids and you eat it, you are consuming those things '__'
Toby-Chan
QUOTE(What, no bacon? @ Nov 28 2005, 03:42 PM) [snapback]321067[/snapback]
Their lives consist of eating, mating and a lot of shitting.

laugh.gif That line made my day, for some reason. I can't disagree with you there. I have family in the farming business; I've fed and cared for and generally spent a great deal of time around milk cows since I was little; they may look cute in a dopey way, but they aren't exactly the most promising of creatures as far as intelligence goes.

Well, I've said it before, but I'll reiterate it anyhow; in spite of my hippy-ness and adoration for animals and all things natural, I still feel that it's a part of the natural order to eat other animals. It's the circle of life, If I may drag corny cliche into the point while we're at it.
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Slashrose1010 @ Nov 28 2005, 07:21 PM) [snapback]321193[/snapback]

Extinct due to humans overpupolating the land and leaving no room for them to live...

Growth hormones may not exactly seem like "torture" but it is still unnatural. You know, if you the cows get steroids and you eat it, you are consuming those things '__'

No room to live? That's such utter nonsense. No matter where they would live, they'd be hunted by other carnivores.
Growth Hormone is fully absorbed into the animal's bloodstream.

And consider how many things you do that are 'unnatural'. Every time you use a pharmaceutical, it's 'unnatural'. Don't bitch about stuff like that. It makes you look retarded.
Toby-Chan
QUOTE(What, no bacon? @ Nov 25 2005, 02:04 PM) [snapback]319621[/snapback]

You know, I've never had deer.

I wanna try deer.

Maybe it would be possible to fed-ex a jar of the stuff. mellow.gif

*Shrug* Tastes like beef... imo.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
QUOTE(What, no bacon? @ Nov 28 2005, 01:42 PM) [snapback]321067[/snapback]

Look... they're COWS. They're not exactly intelligent animals who have the potential to lead rich, fulfilling lives. Their lives consist of eating, mating and a lot of shitting. Hell, if they weren't raised as cattle, they probably would've gone extinct in the wild by now. It's a creature with very low intelligence and adaptability. And adding growth hormones hardly qualifies as torture.

In a way cows do live in the wild. There are bovine species that live in places like Africa. No, domesticated cows probably wouldn't fair very well since they've been taken care of by man for so long but if not for human intervention they would be able to live in the wild. Yeah, they would be a prey item since most vegetarian creatures tend to end up being food for carnivores.

I disagree with my food being loaded up with hormones and pesticides, etc.

QUOTE(What, no bacon? @ Nov 28 2005, 01:42 PM) [snapback]321067[/snapback]

As for fish, there are steps being taken to reduce the mercury content.

They need to take more steps and stop polluting the ocean dammit!
mad.gif
Automne
QUOTE(Mini)
They need to take more steps and stop polluting the ocean dammit!
mad.gif

You know they won't do that, Mini. mellow.gif Like they won't stop feeding dead animals' skulls to cows and cause other virus like, huh...I don't know how to say it in english but in french it's 'La vache folle' :shudders: It's old though but now, we still have another deadly virus going around...

And what is it with humans wanting to kill more and more animals to eat them or just to see what they taste like? I mean, chinese people who are eating cats and dogs...If we start to kill them then I guess we can say nature is already destroyed.
Halford
Im not, and i dont understand why eating meat is such a big deal. I guess since meat helps you brain people who dont eat it are idiots. laugh.gif Thats just my opinion.
Tombow
QUOTE(Halford @ Nov 29 2005, 01:53 PM) [snapback]321753[/snapback]

I guess since meat helps you brain people who dont eat it are idiots. laugh.gif Thats just my opinion.

LOL!! Hehe!! Bwahahaha!! laugh.gif

You were making a clever joke, right??? XDDD

(Just in case someone doesn't get this as a joke, in the prevailing Medical and Health professionals' opinions, FISH and fish oils, and in more recent line of thoughts, TOFU and other soy products are the ones considered as THE brain food. They increase the efficiency of memory functions, etc, and help preventing strokes, and accumulation of bad fat around brain cells, and prevent inflamation of brain cells, both of which, if unchecked, could lead to dementia, while providing amino acids and other nutrients to our body without increasing the intake of lots of bad animal fats. Some tests claim eating fish leads to higher IQ, tho I think that's oversimplified. happy.gif

Meat itself is not bad, but, it comes with too much of cholesterol and other stuff that are considered BAD for brain.... because they could lead to brain strokes, dementia, and other yacky brain illnesses. And, it was really funny that clever joke about idiot... it's like that famous Banana joke, "I can't hear you because I have Banana in my ear"!! Love ya!! laugh.gif )

Speaking of brain illness...
@SinLuxuria - About 'La vache folle'.. We commonly call it "Mad Cow" desease here. Officially, the affected meat and meat by-products do not exist in the U.S. food supply chain here, but we keep finding the affected cows in the firms in Texas, then they send officials to test the dead cow, and when the test comes out negative they widely put out in the news that it was a false alarm, but when it's positive.... well, officially it does NOT exist, so... we hear the reports that test were "inconclusive." huh.gif
Slashrose1010
QUOTE(What, no bacon? @ Nov 28 2005, 07:28 PM) [snapback]321201[/snapback]

No room to live? That's such utter nonsense. No matter where they would live, they'd be hunted by other carnivores.
Growth Hormone is fully absorbed into the animal's bloodstream.

And consider how many things you do that are 'unnatural'. Every time you use a pharmaceutical, it's 'unnatural'. Don't bitch about stuff like that. It makes you look retarded.

That doesn't mean they would be extinct. There is a difference between growth steroids and drugs for medicinal value. I highly doubt that steroids that cause cows to gain more muscle also doubles for them (or us) to prevent disease.
phoenix dying
I can't live without my chicken and beef; and the occisional(sp?) deer. If i ever start eating veggy burgers someone please set me on fire!

FYI i know a couple farm boys at my school and i can tell you that thoes cows don't suffer.............*cough*much*cough*
Envy's lil' miniskirt
QUOTE(phoenix alchemist @ Nov 29 2005, 01:47 PM) [snapback]321781[/snapback]

FYI i know a couple farm boys at my school and i can tell you that thoes cows don't suffer.............*cough*much*cough*

Anything to make it easier for you to accept the fact that you're eating a living being I guess. Did they tell you that cows grow on trees too? Do they have a cow orchard?

This line of thinking is such bullshit. It was bad enough when people say fish don't feel pain but now it's moved to mamals. Hey, anything to absolve yourself of the fact that an animal died and possibly suffered to feed you.

Ignorance is bliss.
dry.gif
phoenix dying
QUOTE(Envy @ Nov 29 2005, 04:57 PM) [snapback]321786[/snapback]

Ignorance is bliss.
dry.gif

If ignorance is bliss, there should be more happy people.
----Graffiti

what can i say this cow tastes good...if some one else tasted good i think i would eat them too. ph34r.gif
japaneseobesession
QUOTE(phoenix alchemist @ Nov 29 2005, 07:05 PM) [snapback]321789[/snapback]

what can i say this cow tastes good...if some one else tasted good i think i would eat them too. ph34r.gif

that scared me
StrawberryShampoo
Eating meat doesn't sit well with me. (Hince the fact that I don't eat it.) There is something about eating a once living, breathing animal makes me feel sick to my stomach.
Also, I heard somewhere that red meats are depressants I don't know if it's true or not...
Envy's lil' miniskirt
QUOTE(StrawberryShampoo @ Nov 30 2005, 04:26 PM) [snapback]322163[/snapback]

Also, I heard somewhere that red meats are depressants I don't know if it's true or not...

Really? I'm pretty happy after I finish off a steak. cool.gif
Tombow
QUOTE(StrawberryShampoo @ Nov 30 2005, 06:26 PM) [snapback]322163[/snapback]

...Also, I heard somewhere that red meats are depressants I don't know if it's true or not...

I don't know about that one, but I know fish oil is said to work as an anti-depressant. (Don't know why, or how, tho.)

ETA: And, turkey is known to have a compound that makes your brain to order your body to produce more "happy" hormons. happy.gif
staystill
i just know that i wont get harmed by mad cow desise or any other, cause i dont eat meat. they also have stuff that i eat that some of my friends actuall said that it tastes way better, and easyer to make.
StrawberryShampoo
Ah Staystill you are also a vegetarian?
staystill
yep, been one ever sence i was a babby. but im not a strict vege, just prefer to (family). you strict or just cause a reason?
StrawberryShampoo
I became one a few months ago (around June I think). I don't like the thought of eating animals plus I've turned into a total health freak. I'm the only one in my family who doesn't eat meat....More or less I just don't feel like eating meat anymore...
japaneseobesession
aer vegetarians allowed to eat bread? <-- just wondering
Tombow
QUOTE(japaneseobesession @ Dec 2 2005, 03:27 PM) [snapback]323108[/snapback]

I believe yes, if the bread does not contain animal fat, no eggs, milk or dairy products such as butter if vegan, or otherwise no animal products.
That still leaves plenty of yammy bread choices for vegetarians, I think.
Automne
japaneseobsession: Huh, yes we are. mellow.gif It's a weird question...
japaneseobesession
QUOTE(Tombow @ Dec 2 2005, 06:31 PM) [snapback]323110[/snapback]

QUOTE(japaneseobesession @ Dec 2 2005, 03:27 PM) [snapback]323108[/snapback]

I believe yes, if the bread does not contain animal fat, no eggs, milk or dairy products such as butter if vegan, or otherwise no animal products.
That still leaves plenty of yammy bread choices for vegetarians, I think.

how do you make bread without eggs?

wait.. that means that can't eat a lot

-bread
-cake
-ice cream
-yogurt
-etc.

how do you people live...? x_X
Tombow
QUOTE(japaneseobesession @ Dec 2 2005, 03:38 PM) [snapback]323117[/snapback]

how do you make bread without eggs?

-bread
-cake
-ice cream
-yogurt
-etc.

Many vegetarians eat eggs and drink milk, while Vegans and some other vegetarians avoid eating eggs, and/or milk and dairy products. smile.gif

And, you can omit eggs and still make many variety of yammy bread .
(Italian loaves, Cuban loaves, wide variety of French loaves, all kind of sour dough bread, or just bake bread without eggs, and most of them come out just fine.) happy.gif

Similarly, you can make lots of yammy cakes and other baked goodies without eggs.
Or, depending on recipe, use some sort of egg substitutes, such as using mushed banana if needed consistancy, or use mushed Tofu if needing proteins.
You can even make outrageously yammy cheesecakes with Tofu, or delicious pudding using creamed tofu!!

(Trust me, I had a vegetarian roommate, and another roommate who was an observing Jewish, and both loved cooking, and I loved sampling many of concoctions from these two!! biggrin.gif)

Ice Cream is easy. They have many brands of Tofu ice cream, rice ice cream, and stuff like that, and they come in most of ice cream flavors.
(And, incidentally, my friend who's Jewish and not eating meat and dairy products in the same meal loved those!! .. Yes, many are made Kosher also. sleep.gif)

You can also buy all sort of "fake" cheese , mostly made with Tofu protein, and come in all sort of varieties, like chedder, Swiss, Mozzarella...

And, you can even make fairly good "scrumbled eggs " from Tofu by crumbling firm tofu, add some seasenings, (and, I'm not sure but maybe also termeric or something that makes the whole thing look yellow,) then microwaving it. laugh.gif

I don't know about yogurt, but since soymilk is widely available, comes in whole, lowfat, nonfat, and yes, even non-egg non-milk eggnog !!, so I bet you can find yogurt subs as well. smile.gif
japaneseobesession
tofu ice cream.... x_x;;
staystill
Tombow Posted Today, 03:45 PM .how do you make bread without eggs?

-bread
-cake
-ice cream
-yogurt
-etc.

actuall, thats only vegans, were talking about vegetarians! some people will actually get sick because of dariy products and most the them are called vegans. im a nonstrick vegetarian so i can eat dariy products.

japaneseobesession Posted Today, 04:12 PM.
tofu ice cream.... x_x;;

hey, i never tatested it but it sounds good smile.gif
tofu is really good and tates very good smile.gif
StrawberryShampoo
Yes. I could eat most dairy products. Though, I can't eat a lot because I am slightly lactose-intolerant...

@SinLuxuria-- You are also a vegetarian?! I never would have guessed that....Wow, there really are more vegetarians on here that I intially thought.

I could probably go vegan easily because I don't eat a lot of dairy poducts (See above).
Carnal Malefactor
Vegans are annoying.
Tombow
QUOTE(staystill @ Dec 2 2005, 08:04 PM) [snapback]323284[/snapback]
Tombow Posted Today, 03:45 PM .how do you make bread without eggs?

-bread
-cake
-ice cream
-yogurt
-etc.

That wasn't my post. That was japaneseobesession's post. I quoted his/her post in my post to show japaneseobesession's original question while posting my reply to that. biggrin.gif

QUOTE(staystill @ Dec 2 2005, 08:04 PM) [snapback]323284[/snapback]
japaneseobesession Posted Today, 04:12 PM.
tofu ice cream.... x_x;;
hey, i never tatested it but it sounds good smile.gif
tofu is really good and tates very good smile.gif
My friend used to buy "Tofu Dream" brand "fake" ice cream, and one of the flavor, tho I forgot exactly which one, was addictingly good!! happy.gif But, it's also very fattening. tongue.gif

QUOTE(What, no bacon? @ Dec 2 2005, 10:43 PM) [snapback]323364[/snapback]
Vegans are annoying.
LOL!! Lockily, the ones I know are not annoying. Tho, I know some are. happy.gif
sweety_pie
I'm vegetarian.
asunder
Yes.
trecia
not a vegetarian... when eating, i try not to hold myslef back.... smile.gif
just read the words below, the first one's my motto... laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.