Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rose And Ed In Episode 49
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1) > English Dub episodes (on Adult Swim)
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Ashramsgrl
<Moved the thread from FMA Character Discussion forum to FMA Anime American Audience sub-forum. 02/19/07 ~Tombow>

Hello im new. Can't wait for the last one, its soo gonna be bittersweet.

But in Epsiode 49 during Lyra's/Dante's plot speech she revealed that the reason that she wanted to take Rose's body was that it was because Ed was in love with her (al too). Now, I did not hear Ed vehemently (sorry about the mispelling) deny that, in fact it looked like she hit the nail on the head.

Also in the begining when he saw her dancing and he began to dance with her the was some blushing on ed part.

So where did this idea come from...Not that i don't like it. I think that its a brilliant idea.
BlueRakuen
nooooo!! EdxRose is evil!! ph34r.gif
If it was a well developped relationship then I probably wouldn't hate it that much but... it's just coming out of nowhere!
Ashramsgrl
and btw who is the father of rose's baby??...scar?
Beowulf
Well it's not Scar it's actually more like...

Spoiler: (Click here to Display)
Queen of the dammed
I thought that Ed found her annoying when she first appeared... then WHAM!!! Now he likes her!!! Did I miss anything??? Or is it some sort of BONES plothole again??
Naaaahhh, this kind of thing cannot be called plothole. they are more like "convenient sudden thing added to make things dramatic"
odoridan
Ed x Roze love will last forevar!!! unsure.gif Oh now, look what you made me do.

But more seriously and more rationally, I think Roze will die. It would be really strange for them to get together and this will probably be the dramatic way out of their budding relationship... but more surprising twists have taken place.

And Ed never showed signs that he liked her. The blushing was obviously caused by embarassment because Roze was about to confess her drug induced undying love to him.
Psycojester
Nothing annoys me more than Rozes character. Could someone please explain her current position is she : Catatonic, Doped up to her eyes balls, the worlds biggest forking retard, an incredibly neglectful mother? what the hell is this womans problem
flyingwind
yeah... the Ed/Al and Rose thing made absolutely NO sense AT ALL! It just sorta... happened??? and yes, it WAS mentioned how she got the baby... in episode 40 I believe

*note: I really don't consider this to be a spoiler

when Ed and Rose and Scar and them were in this house and Ed was wondering about how Rose lost her voice or something... and Scar said "Rose was taken by the millitary and by the time she got back, she had lost her voice." The implications were probably lost on a younger audience but the older audience would have probably guessed that it meant Rose had lost her voice from the shock of being totured and/or raped. Rose's baby was fathered by some perv in the millitary who raped her.

in any case, Ed understood what had happened to Rose, he put two and two together which personally, I think this means he knows something about this type of stuff... I don't think Al would have figured it out by what Scar had said.

later the dance scene with Ed blushing was probably embarressment. Rose was acting REALLY wierd. and Don't you think that Ed vehemently denying that he liked Rose would have made a difference to Dante?
Ed: "What? I don't like Rose... What gave you THAT idea?"
Dante: "Um... wild guess? Either way I'm still going to take her body cuz mine is rotting anyways! And everyone KNOWS that when a guy denies he likes someone then he does! I've lived for 400 years and I know this stuff! And for all I know, you are denying it to save her life so this makes me want to take her body more!"
Ed: "but...!"

yeah... so you see, this doesn't mean Ed is in love with Rose... it means he knows when to keep his mouth shut when saying something might do more harm than good.
Omakase Shimasu
I thought it was General Hakuro who raped Rose. ph34r.gif But than I could be mistaken since he was only talking to her at Lior... doesn't mean he actually did something. He's an almighty General, afterall. rolleyes.gif Oh well.

I'd blush if someone put words into my mouth like that. But maybe that's because I blush easily. tongue.gif Got very light skin. Bleh.

Hmmm, I thought there was already a thread going on about Rose/Ed... Please, let this not be another Rose-bashing thread. Civil conversation will get the point across as well. biggrin.gif
flyingwind
well... it was only MENTIONED that SOMEONE raped her who was part of the millitary so far all we know, it COULD be General Hakuro ... good observation Omakase-san
Omakase Shimasu
biggrin.gif I live to observe. Please, call me Kase. (don't mind the bolding of my own name, I do that with every name for some reason rolleyes.gif)
W i n d
argh... how I HATE the dance scene ==' -shudder-shudder-
flyingwind
argh... how I HATE the dance scene ==' -shudder-shudder-

agreed! when I first saw it, I was like AHHHH!!!!! MY EYES!!!! x.X nooo!!!! Rose CAN'T get with Ed! she just can't! noooo!!!!!

then I spent the rest of the day telling myself that "Rose was all possessed-like" and "Ed was looking uncomfortable" etc. X.x blargh! it's not that I 'hate' Rose... I just don't like the idea of her and Ed getting together... it's too wierd for me... but Rose and Al should work out fine... Rose and Ed seems to spell out disaster. of course that's IMO
Omakase Shimasu
*cough*Al/Winry*cough* smile.gif
Psycojester
Hmm omakse the word for that would be statutory rape, alls freaking 10 years old
Omakase Shimasu
That's why I did a / instead of an x. tongue.gif Besides, who said I meant right now? rolleyes.gif Wait a few years and they're "allowed" to date. <__< I always hated those age-rules... (or is that rules in general?)
Ghost
I don't understand how people can get so upset over how a storyteller chooses to tell their own story. The Roze attraction didn't come out of nowhere necesarrily (a word I can never spell). When Dante suggested it and Ed had a 'reaction' (and he definitely did have one) I think it was supposed to communicate that there had been a slight attraction for Ed. I did not see, anywhere at all, that Roze was interested in Ed however. And I agree with Flyingwind in that Dante was mainly just trying to mess with Ed's head and Ed did indeed know enough (or simply didn't respect Dante enough) to contradict what she said. I've noticed that Ed doesn't really tend to converse over trivial matters such as 'who likes who' when he's having a staring contest with someone he intends to kill.

And in defense of Roze, because I feel that the story was well told (despite some clarity issues surrounding the exact events at 5th Lab, motive problems on the part of the Homunculi, and pacing during the transition from 5th Lab story-arc to the Finale story-arc): She GETS to be a little brain-dead! She friggin' deserves it! Let's have a look at her life, shall we?
Early childhood - we have no idea but her parents both die at some point. I don't remember why, plague I think.
Teen years - She has a boyfriend whom she loves very much. He dies. She latches onto a faith which promises resurrection for much the same reasons people like Scar's bro and Tucker get that 'look' in their eyes. Desperation. Lo! And behold! Her major religion is disassembled in front of her and her faith is shaken to its core BUT NOT BEFORE meeting a SUPER creepy giant BIRD THING which dies calling out her name!!
After Ed leaves - She recovers from losing not only her boyfriend, but any hope that she might see him again, with the help of Edward Elric's philosophy that you can find the will to live under any circumstances (I'm paraphrasing) and sadly, but eventually and with a new outlook, attempts to rebuild the tatters of her life. Well at least that would have been the case except that the damn priest shows up again and bam! She's right back clinging to an immortality/sun cult. Almost immediately: War. People dying, buildings crumbling. Children crushed or shot. Widows cry for their dead husbands. People she's known all her life, exterminated for what they believe in. At least, this is what it would have looked like in her eyes. While hiding in terror with some orphans she is found, captured, raped probably more than once, and possibly tortured as well. Whatever the circumstances while captive, they were so unspeakable that she entered a psychological state of shock robbing her of her voice. In real life this happens to people who are tortured. In real life this happens to military prisoners and in real life, rape as torture is used as a war tactic by organized militaries.

So she's a little bit dazed, yeah. She survives for awhile, meets Dante, sees more war and death...Ed shows up and nearly dies at te hands of some very creepy people...Roze then escapes with Dante and then sees more weird crap while hanging out with her. Ed shows up again and by this point that poor girl has had her share of real bad experiences in her life. I'm surpsrised she can dance at all, let alone smile or speak or even sit...for two consecutive minutes...without sobbing uncontrollably. Or, again common in real life, develop Disassociative Identity Disorder. (Hm, interesting...file that under "fanfiction").

Now if there's something about Roze that still just gets on your nerves - that's fine. Your opinion is, of course, valid. But you can't tell me she's not a tragic character or that she holds no purpose in the story.

Though a Roze/Ed pairing would indeed be weird. Especially since I almost gurantee that girl is nuts by now. But the chemistry between Ed and Winry was obvious. Al not so much. Al mentions at one point that he fears death because he wants to experience falling in love at least once. Ed never mentions anything like this. This is probably partially because he thinks of nothing but returning his brother to is original body - but ALSO because to think about girls he would first have to adress his attraction to Winry. And merely thinking about things like that solidifies them somewhat and he just can't be thinking about Winry because by god he has work and research to do and if she got involved then she'd just either get in the way or be in danger. At least that's what I figure his train of thought would be like.

P.S. Sorry that was so long.
Elderberry
QUOTE(Ghost @ Oct 7 2004, 11:00 AM)
I don't understand how people can get so upset over how a storyteller chooses to tell their own story...

Yeah! Go tell them, Ghost-san! I kind of think that a lot of FMA fans are just a little too hateful of characters. (Poor Wrath...)

Yay! Another Ed/Winry supporter! (Or is it? I don't want to mislabel someone by carelessness..)

I originally thought that Roze was only a very minor character used for introducing the main characters at the start of the story who's life gets changed and never appears again, so I was pretty impressed to see FMA break that cliche and actually worked Lior into the whole storyline multiple times. So, I have to agree that people should really stop picking on Roze. It's already more than admirable enough that she was actually trying to keep on living her life instead of moping like a lifeless doll!
Omakase Shimasu
QUOTE(Elderberry @ Oct 7 2004, 08:47 PM)
I kind of think that a lot of FMA fans are just a little too hateful of characters. (Poor Wrath...)

biggrin.gif I have the feeling the Wrath!hate is kind of dwindling down. Hopefully Ghost's [lengthy tongue.gif] post will serve as an eye-opener as well.
Torx
QUOTE(Omakase Shimasu @ Oct 4 2004, 12:53 PM)
*cough*Al/Winry*cough* smile.gif

Yes!!!!
Omakase Shimasu
Torx you're a fellow Al/Winry fan/shipper?? *__* YES!!

Look, Hakai we're not alone anymore!
Torx
Of course.

It should have developed more though. It just popped out of nowhere when Envy kidnapped Al. Plus Psiren was too old for Al then and now she's way too old for him.

EdxRose is where it's at anyway. I would have said Lyra but she's dead sad.gif
Torx
Something just dawned on me...

Something cool but probably won't happen.

Blahblah
I don't see anything wrong with poor Rose, so just leave her alone!

How old is Roze..?

Yeah! Go Alphonse and Winry! I mean, Al won that bet didn't he! Plus Edward isn't interested in anything but alchemy, even if it is to restore Al and such..

I live to observe. Please, call me Kase. (don't mind the bolding of my own name, I do that with every name for some reason )

Sorry! I usually call you Omakase Shimasu
Torx
hey... when was Roze hotter?

episode 1 or episode 51?

she's changed you know. ever so slightly. she just shed a little bit of baby fat.
Ghost
QUOTE(Torx)
...and thats how herpes got started.

Well I heard they weren't fully... *double-takes at Torx*

...Wait what!?
Queen of the dammed
The character of rose is quite interesting... it's just the HAIR that gets on my nerves alot... when I read the manga, I thought her hair was something like Hikaru's... But I still can't see Ed/Rose happening...
The Rose/Dante/Ed incident is glaringly obvious to me. Consider:
Queen of the dammed
Ed won't fall for Roze/Dante!!! HE belongs to Winry!!!
Omakase Shimasu
Yeah, could be that both Winry and Rose have a little crush on Ed. Understandable really. rolleyes.gif But I'd still like to see Al going with Winry (yes, he won that bet dammit, Ed never won a single fight - he admitted it! tongue.gif) and Rose...

Hmmmm. Now Rose and Mason, there's a thought. (Great work, Torx!) biggrin.gif That teddy-bear already proved he's really good with children. And Mason isn't that old either. Right? O.o

Ah well~ Who cares about age?? They'd be sweet together. *__*

XD Not to mention it gives Ed the chance to still have shonen-ai with Russell (or Roy -__-) in the end. tongue.gif Couldn't resist.
Ghost
QUOTE(Guest @ Oct 8 2004, 05:55 PM)
The Rose/Dante/Ed incident is glaringly obvious to me.
List of painfully obvious facts which were not under question.

I don't think anyone was disputing the fact that Dante wants Ed's sexy butt. Or her motives for wanting his sexy butt.

What was under question, mysterious unnamed guest, was where Dante got the idea that Ed and Roze had a "thing." From what I saw, no "thing" was had. What I intended to imply with my last lengthy post was that Roze's "crush" on Ed, if she had one at all, was probably derived from her personaloity issues. She clings to things (people, religion) and doesn't really stand on her own easily. I also explained her "trance" pretty cearly, I felt. As did another member of this forum. She's in shock. As far as we, the audience, has seen; Nothing positive has ever happened to Roze that wasn't later tragically stripped from her. Dante utilizes this weakness of will, and kind of keeps Roze off-balance, while 'grooming' her to be the next host body for Dante's soul. Whether or not this is by use of a magically induced state or merely psychological manipulation is entirely speculation.
Roze clings to Ed not as a "boyfriend" or "crush" but as a savior. She probably thinks he can get her our of this mess, since he sort of got her out of the last one she was in. I doubt that Roze would be able to develop anything to juvenile as a "crush" on anyone, considering the horrors she's seen.

As you said, on the other hand, and as no one at all disputed ever, Dante is obsessed with Hohenheim. Spurned by him, she wants the next best thing. I think, guest, that you must have misunderstood someone here in thinking that we didn't understand this already.

Also: It's annoying to try and talk to a 'guest.' If you're going to post something long and attempt to contribute to the thread in some way, why not create an identity for yourself so that we may interact with you more naturally? It's a very welcoming atmosphere (despite this post's slight air of animocity, for which I apologize). Come on in, the water's fine.
|Alphonse|-Elric
even though that would really pi$$ me off and i would for ever hate ed for doing so i think it is very possible even though roze still has to recover from the fact that her boy freind is dead and that her dad used 5,000,000,000,000,000,000, dead chickens to reform a demented version of her boy wich didn't work DUH
Goha
Rose and Ed woul be a perfect couple (I like Rose more, than Winry). But author's will is stronger, than ours tongue.gif

i'm "offtoping"? sry.
Kokoro no Hana
QUOTE(|Alphonse|-Elric @ Nov 26 2004, 05:16 AM)
even though that would really pi$$ me off and i would for ever hate ed for doing so i think it is very possible even though roze still has to recover from the fact that her boy freind is dead and that her dad used 5,000,000,000,000,000,000, dead chickens to reform a demented version of her boy wich didn't work DUH

Her dad used chickens?.....
Riza Babe
LOL the High Priest isn't her DAD!!! they weren't chickens they were normal birds.... and you should really watch carefully what is happening or your gonna confuse alot of people with chickens....
telepika
No offense to anyone but I don't really like Rose. She's pretty and nice but she doesn't have a brain. Like in episode 49-51 when
I don't like girls who do nothing and always have to be rescued. And I don't like her baby either.

I think Ed deserves better.
Riza Babe
yeah that why ed has me!! tongue.gif *thinking* oh yeah Horo Horo has me tongue.gif so anyone want ed?
Kokoro no Hana
QUOTE(telepika @ Nov 26 2004, 01:52 PM)
No offense to anyone but I don't really like Rose. She's pretty and nice but she doesn't have a brain. Like in episode 49-51 when
Rose just dances around not resisting Dante in anyway, not helping Ed when he was fighting Dante and Envy... All she does is scream.
I don't like girls who do nothing and always have to be rescued. And I don't like her baby either.

I think Ed deserves better.

I couldn't agree more with you ^^

Riza Babe I think the birds are parrots?
Riza Babe
I hate roze shes a ****ing *** lol well it's TRUE!! laugh.gif
|Alphonse|-Elric
i agree with u lol i hate er and shes a wat u said... but ya lol its very true im just trying to make a point bout how true there love could be but hey u no they looked like chickens to me......adn it seemed as if the preist was her father srry for confusion.... blink.gif unsure.gif dry.gif
Riza Babe
lol thats np and well i said she was a F***ing Cow
Ailuro
All of you calm down. -__-;

There's no need to start using those kinds of words. It only makes others think less of you and your intelligence. wink.gif

And didn't you notice in episodes 49-51 that

And I dislike Roze. She didn't seem that great a character to me.
Blade42
I noticed that, but she is such a pain...she kind of whines a lot too.
Bling_bling_Angel
I know, right?! She can be such a helpless slut; instead of raising the dignity of ladies the way Hawkeye and Winry do, she juss makes it lower... the only good thing she did was when she tried to stand up for those kids...

Blade42
Hawkeye and Winry are just awsome, Roze, always needs someone to help her get out of the ditch she made herslef. So helpelss.
Bling_bling_Angel
rolleyes.gif Ye~ap...
telepika
I did notice she was in a trance, but how'd she get in that trance anyway? I doubt Dante has that kind of power to influence her, the weak idiot that she is. I just assumed she gave up on escaping and shut her mind to protect herself from mental harm.
Ailuro
That could be it. And who knows what kind of ~powers~ Dante has.
xD
Paige the soul alchemist
Rose+Ed AHHH!!! I hate Rose. Shes so so well lets just say that she sort of has a one track mind when Ed and Al first meet her its like Cornello is going to reserect my boyfreind." Got I hate her.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.