Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FMA Manga Readers Demographic Poll
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Manga
Nepharski
How many people of how many different ages and genders enjoy FMA? Most comics have a very narrow appeal, usually to a specific range of teenage boys...but FMA strikes me as the sort of thing anyone body, regardless of age or gender, could pick up, read, and agree that it's just plain kick awesome. This is merely an attempt to see how truthful that assumption is.
kaizenyorii
a shonen written by a woman is bound to attract more than jsut teenage boys
Sensenic
QUOTE(Nepharski @ Feb 16 2006, 07:25 AM) [snapback]350453[/snapback]

How many people of how many different ages and genders enjoy FMA? Most comics have a very narrow appeal, usually to a specific range of teenage boys...but FMA strikes me as the sort of thing anyone body, regardless of age or gender, could pick up, read, and agree that it's just plain kick awesome. This is merely an attempt to see how truthful that assumption is.

Oh, very good idea.
While the last question is perhaps not much... eh... trustful, since this is a fanboard, ya know, so the statistics'll probably be biased, the other 2 are really good ones.
Shall we see what kinds of different people has been attracted to this (master) work. So far only 5 votes, and all of them "youngsters", tho' sad.gif

EDIT: 6 votes happy.gifU
Valérie
That's an interesting poll Nepharski! smile.gif

Here is what I chose:
Age? 23-25 years (I’m 24 years old).
Gender? Female.
Do you think FMA has widespread appeal, beyond that of your regular comic? Yes, but being a fan of the manga, I’m not being very objective... tongue.gif
Molecular Alchemist
HUZZAH! What an interesting pole, and it looks like it's doing a curve much like i would have expected...skewed toards the late teens and 20-somethings (i myself helping with the 23-25 range). laugh.gif But this would be interesting to be put on a much wider scale..since the results are mainly forum based, and (at least from what i can see), the forum has more female members than male, so the results may be erred in that respect. So maybe posting on quizzilla (if that's within siite-limits to suggest) would give a more reasonable answer to this question.

But again...very innetersting....happy.gif
Kirara

Age? 23-25 years (I’m 23 years old).- And wow I can't believe my age group is in the lead. I know it is inevitable that this will change but it is nice not to feel old for once.
Gender? Female.
Do you think FMA has widespread appeal, beyond that of your regular comic? Yes I do, I think it has just as good if not a better story than Harry Potter and I think it would appeal to similar fans. However because it is a comic it's hard to get people to give up their prejudices about the genre and they refuse to read it. So I think if FMA was in a form other than a manga it would be more popular. But of course I am also speaking as an obsessed fan. smile.gif
CSakuraS
QUOTE(Kirara @ Feb 16 2006, 07:05 PM) [snapback]350754[/snapback]

Yes I do, I think it has just as good if not a better story than Harry Potter and I think it would appeal to similar fans. However because it is a comic it's hard to get people to give up their prejudices about the genre and they refuse to read it. So I think if FMA was in a form other than a manga it would be more popular. But of course I am also speaking as an obsessed fan. :)

Totally agree. My goal is to someday get a person who's not into manga/comics become a fan of Fullmetal Alchemist. The story is worth it. :) I think I'm gonna try introducing them with the second novel first, then start handing out manga once they're interested in the characters and the world...

Oh yeah, I'm 18 and female. ^^
emtee
Age? 20-22 - 20 here
Gender? Female
Do you think FMA has widespread appeal, beyond that of your regular comic? Of course! But, again, fandom.

QUOTE(CSakuraS)
My goal is to someday get a person who's not into manga/comics become a fan of Fullmetal Alchemist. The story is worth it. smile.gif I think I'm gonna try introducing them with the second novel first, then start handing out manga once they're interested in the characters and the world...

Present case:
My roommate.
At the beginning of this semester she described FullMetal Alchemist to make fun of me: "There's this kid who whines because he's got a metal arm and cries 'I want my arm back!' It's so stupid."
Yesterday: "I'm SO MAD. I'm so upset I finished them so fast! I can't believe I finished them so fast! I didn't think I'd finish them so fast, but I couldn't stop reading!"

laugh.gif

She didn't even like anime, or manga at all. Total convert now - anime and manga. I didn't even need to provide links to the omake or anything, she was so hooked she searched it all out herself! She'll even be sitting quietly typing out a paper and turn around suddenly and say "I can't believe such-and-such happened!"
It's great!
Colette
Do you think FMA has widespread appeal, beyond that of your regular comic? It certainly seems so.
Keos

Right on.

This is an interesting poll however - different to the usual sort.

I'm 21, female and I believe yes, FMA has wide-spread popularity.. well definitely wider than something like Yugioh or Pokemon I think (in terms of the types of people it'll attract). But if you mean how popular it is in general compared with regular comics - very popular, considering most comics do not go very long and do not have an anime/movies or such critical acclaim.
Emi-chan
Age 14-16
Gender-Female
Does FMA have widespread appeal, beyond that of your regular comic?-Yes
I'm trying to convince a friend of mine that the anime and manga are way different, as she watched one episode of the anime and couldn't stop insulting it, and now refuses to have anything to do with.FMA sad.gif
Nepharski
Might as well answer my own poll.

Does FMA have widespread appeal, beyond that of your regular comic? Yes (For reasons previously discussed)

Before now, I didn't care for the manga genre at all. FMA converted me. Similarly, I also used to dislike Anime, but FMA converted me, which lead me to discover other Anime I like. Truely, a wonderous series.

So many 20s and females. Most comics, like I said, generally appeal to younger teenaged boys, but here we have young adults, and females no less, in the lead. Fantastic, really.
Sensenic
Oh, so we had to say the answer.
Eh, let'sa see!

Blah, blah: Yes, cuz I'm a fan and it's so friggin' obvious this series is nearing perfection so much it hurts... tongue.gif But I'm having difficulties masel', even with anime/manga loving people. They're all so damn stuck with the anime and dun wanna know nothin' about the manga... T_T I'm trying hard. Today I'll handle all my stuff to a (non-anime-inititated) friend and on monday another, let's see what happens. *hopes*^

Still, I was hoping to see a broader age range in the poll. Was I too optimist?
Nepharski
QUOTE(Sensenic @ Feb 17 2006, 01:46 AM) [snapback]350943[/snapback]
Still, I was hoping to see a broader age range in the poll. Was I too optimist?

Originally, I thought of implimenting a broader range, but I decided not to press my luck.
AA battery
QUOTE(kaizenyorii @ Feb 15 2006, 11:24 PM) [snapback]350465[/snapback]

XD double thumbs up for that comment!

I am 19, female, and yes for the appeal part.

Enough said (Since all of you said everything I wanted to say already! >.<)

I am glad that there is no 10 and under reading FMA. (and only one 11-13. whew)
1) they won't understand it much
2) more baka theories will come up
bemused_non-alchemist
Age: 17 this year (gosh, I remember a time when I though 15 was old. XD)
Appeal thing: Yes, of course. I'm a fan, remember? But putting aside my prejudices for a moment, I'd say it'd appeal to anyone with an open mind and a fetish for adventure.

FMA opened my eyes to the whole world of manga. FMA also converted 2 friends of mine, one of whom got so into it she became an official FMA evangelist and spread the fever to her whole class. I feel so fulfilled. biggrin.gif

Unfortunately I only follow a couple of manga because I tend to compare them to FMA and they inevitably come off worse. sad.gif
Colette
QUOTE(bemused_non-alchemist @ Feb 18 2006, 09:53 AM) [snapback]351458[/snapback]

Age: 17 this year (gosh, I remember a time when I though 15 was old. XD)
Appeal thing: Yes, of course. I'm a fan, remember? But putting aside my prejudices for a moment, I'd say it'd appeal to anyone with an open mind and a fetish for adventure.

FMA opened my eyes to the whole world of manga. FMA also converted 2 friends of mine, one of whom got so into it she became an official FMA evangelist and spread the fever to her whole class. I feel so fulfilled. biggrin.gif

Unfortunately I only follow a couple of manga because I tend to compare them to FMA and they inevitably come off worse. sad.gif

That's the problem with reading something great. You're expectations become really high T_T

I recommend Trigun after Fullmetal Alchemist.
bemused_non-alchemist
QUOTE(Summoner Colette @ Feb 19 2006, 12:41 AM) [snapback]351475[/snapback]

That's the problem with reading something great. You're expectations become really high T_T

What's it about? I think I've seen it on the shelves somewhere...

Edit: Hmm. We're going a bit off-topic, aren't we?
Nepharski
QUOTE(bemused_non-alchemist @ Feb 19 2006, 07:20 AM) [snapback]351970[/snapback]

I've heard of it. Supposedly, it's about this man with the worlds biggest bounty on his head (He's wanted for destroying an entire city single-handedly), BUT...he's the LEAST likely person to do that sort of thing, and doesn't even remember doing it.

At least, that's what I heard. Look it up on Wikipedia, why don't you?
Sensenic
QUOTE(Nepharski @ Feb 19 2006, 09:30 PM) [snapback]352070[/snapback]

QUOTE(bemused_non-alchemist @ Feb 19 2006, 07:20 AM) [snapback]351970[/snapback]

I've heard of it. Supposedly, it's about this man with the worlds biggest bounty on his head (He's wanted for destroying an entire city single-handedly), BUT...he's the LEAST likely person to do that sort of thing, and doesn't even remember doing it.

At least, that's what I heard. Look it up on Wikipedia, why don't you?

A little late, but... happy.gif

Might as well point out that, like FMA, the anime was made from the start as a different project, starting from the manga, although in this case the series is shorter and sticks to the manga longer.
And... it's so far the only case where I've liked better the anime over the original manga, which gets quite too bizarre, whereas the anime is a very nice, sad and yet full of hope story. I love oh so much the last chapter...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.