Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vol. 12 (chapters 46, 47, 48, 49)
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Manga
Envious...
Volume 12 covers chapters 46, 47, 48, & 49, and out in Japan on November 21, 2005!!

~ Anyone Here Got A Close Look At Volume 12's Cover? I have to say, it's a work of art ~

Just recently managed to get my hands on volume 12 of the FMA manga (which covers ch. 46-49), and I have to comment on its particular cover art. It is perhaps the most artistic of all the FMA cover arts that Mrs. Arakawa has done so far. I remember seeing a small thumbnail of the art some months ago, but I didn't feel true emotional impact until I held the book in my hands.

Minor spoilers for old chapters....

The way it's arranged, it's all very beautiful. Ling defending the grievously injured Ran Fan against the overwhelming power of the Fuhrer. Scar, literally bigger than life, imposing a sense of menace to the entire scene. Especially telling is the tearful figure of Winry to the side, with Ed (whose hand is the only thing visible) reaching out from the side to hold Winry's arm to convince her from walking down a path of violence, all without a single spoken word. I'm not very knowledgable about artistic terms, but that picture of Winry and Ed was perhaps the most telling of the entire scene. Even though it is clearly off the center of the focus of the art, my eyes couldn't help but throw looks at this sad imagery.

Compared to all the cover art that has been released so far, this one's by far my favorite, since it's something more than a simple collection of characters. I hope that Mrs. Arakawa continues such inspired work.

*Note: Did anyone else catch the "Konami code" in ch. 47? The "creator interview" comic in the back was particularly amusing as well. The omakes also did not fail to make me laugh.
Ailuro
Oh, could you scan it for us all to see? I'm very interested in seeing it now, but I can't find a picture anywhere. ohmy.gif
Full Metal Elf
OH!..Is that the one with Ling on the cover??...It's one of my favs!! It is an amazing piece of art! i love it!! happy.gif
Envious...
After some "clever" >_> googling invovling the manipulation of both Korean and Japanese, I have this to offer you:

IPB Image

Edit: Why not, here's the one I got... dry.gif

IPB Image
Ailuro
Whoa. ohmy.gif
I must agree: this is perhaps the most artistic cover Arakawa has ever done. She's really outdone herself this time. smile.gif
You're absolutely right.
Tombow
QUOTE(Envious... @ Feb 10 2006, 01:22 AM) [snapback]348341[/snapback]

The way it's arranged, it's all very beautiful. Ling defending the grievously injured Ran Fan against the overwhelming power of the Fuhrer. Scar, literally bigger than life, imposing a sense of menace to the entire scene. Especially telling is the tearful figure of Winry to the side, with Ed (whose hand is the only thing visible) reaching out from the side to hold Winry's arm to convince her from walking down a path of violence, all without a single spoken word. I'm not very knowledgable about artistic terms, but that picture of Winry and Ed was perhaps the most telling of the entire scene. Even though it is clearly off the center of the focus of the art, my eyes couldn't help but throw looks at this sad imagery.

Compared to all the cover art that has been released so far, this one's by far my favorite, since it's something more than a simple collection of characters. I hope that Mrs. Arakawa continues such inspired work.

Thank you for the eloquent writing!! I totally agree!!
I'm a big fan of Ling and RanFan, and it's thrilling to see Arakawa chose (I'm assuming she gave ok) them for this cover!!
-Kr!zY-
ohmy.gif The volume 12 cover looks awesome!! =D
Colette
Whoa. That's just beautiful.

(Sqee! LingxRan Fan!)
AA battery
... somehow right when I saw the Korean cover... I saved it. XD
Envy's lil' miniskirt
Full metal Elf

What part of the manga is your sig from, the one with Ed coming out of the shower? I don't remember that. Is it an omake?
Kirara

What part of the manga is your sig from, the one with Ed coming out of the shower? I don't remember that. Is it an omake?

It's from chapter 56 (the last chapter released). Of course there is no mention of fangirls. biggrin.gif
Envy's lil' miniskirt
You know, right after I posted this I found chapter 56 and read it. laugh.gif

Thank you though. smile.gif
Nepharski
The 12 cover is sheer beauty. Only one flaw aggitates it's perfection.

Xiao Mae on the (Outer) spine. dry.gif

I just don't like her.
NeoKakashi
I have volume 12 too (got the yonkoma book with it!). I simply LOVE the cover.
Lapis
i never got a good look at it before but it is amazing! Arakawa's artwork just blows my mind, the things she's able to do
thats one of my fav covers now, it and the one with Hohenheim Ed and Al, i think thats everyone on the cover
GaluxKitty
Volume 9's cover has got to be my favourite. Havoc and Hawkeye just look so utterly awesome on it. <3
Kirara
Everyone check out volume 13's cover. It's awesome!

http://community.livejournal.com/hagaren_m...23.html?#cutid1
Nepharski
QUOTE(Kirara @ Mar 1 2006, 04:19 PM) [snapback]356838[/snapback]

Everyone check out volume 13's cover. It's awesome!

http://community.livejournal.com/hagaren_m...23.html?#cutid1

Emo Elric! ohmy.gif

Who want's to bet Envy's on the outer spine?
Wyrd_Raven
IPB Image

all I can think of is IA! IA! CTHULHU FHTAGN RYLEH!

Sensenic
QUOTE(Wyrd_Raven @ Mar 2 2006, 06:48 AM) [snapback]357050[/snapback]

IPB Image

all I can think of is IA! IA! CTHULHU FHTAGN RYLEH!

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif
I... am.... Speechless.(Keeping with the HPL reference:) There are sensations/feelings words cannot descript...

And to think I'm still missing 11 and 12... T_T
Sensenic
QUOTE(Nepharski @ Mar 2 2006, 01:25 AM) [snapback]356840[/snapback]

Against Father? I'm game. It's either one of the 2 fo' sho' (or, more improbable, Ran fan...).

What shall we bet? happy.gif

Oh, and on the inner spine, the many a souls from Envy's PS... (FMA is really running short on dying characters, as of late)

And volume 14...? OMG Gluttony! With Lust waiting for him in heaven... How beautiful *snif* T_T
(Unless someone dies in 57... But he'll be there anyway I guess)
Neko_Nayru
And don't forget the chimeras that Scar and Mei killed in the inner spine!
and I don't thinks gluttony's dead....or maybe he is...*need to reread 56*

*looks at vol 13*
thats HOT (I actually said that out loud XD)
Sensenic
QUOTE(Neko_Nayru @ Mar 2 2006, 10:36 AM) [snapback]357113[/snapback]

And don't forget the chimeras that Scar and Mei killed in the inner spine!

Oh, right!

wait, they killed them in the inner spine? What were Scar and Mei Chang doing in the inner spine? tongue.gif

Stupid jokes apart, is this volume 13 or 14...? I can't remember now, nor check (I'm @ work 'n stuff happy.gifU).

and I don't thinks gluttony's dead....or maybe he is...*need to reread 56*

Well, Maria Ross wasn't either wink.gif

Or, closer to this case here, nor was Greed in volume 8 (we know now) wink.gif
(Yeah, I know, his memories were taken so you could say he DID die there, unlike Gluttony, but the situation is still similar. So sue me. tongue.gif)

*looks at vol 13*
thats HOT (I actually said that out loud XD)

Truth must be spoken, for everyone to know.

What was it... oh yeah, when I saw Al in chapter 53, I was at home with my mum around and I said "Al!"
My mother: "What? Did you say sth?" Me: "No, no..."} (;Ů_Ů)/
Full Metal Elf
I love the cover...it's awesome!...Ed looks so...mysterious...mwuahaha...happy.gif
Colette
Ooh, I like it. ☆

Ed looks SO much older in these past chapters. So much more mature than in the anime.
Nepharski
QUOTE(Sensenic @ Mar 2 2006, 01:11 AM) [snapback]357109[/snapback]

QUOTE(Nepharski @ Mar 2 2006, 01:25 AM) [snapback]356840[/snapback]

Against Father? I'm game. It's either one of the 2 fo' sho' (or, more improbable, Ran fan...).

What shall we bet? happy.gif

Oh, and on the inner spine, the many a souls from Envy's PS... (FMA is really running short on dying characters, as of late)

And volume 14...? OMG Gluttony! With Lust waiting for him in heaven... How beautiful *snif* T_T
(Unless someone dies in 57... But he'll be there anyway I guess)

Well, what Chapters does it cover? Chapters 50-53, right? Father only appears at the end. He is no doubt important, but as he is restricted to the end, it will most likely go to another character (Although Father will most likely take Volume 14). The other main players during this arch are Roy, Bradley, Edward, Ling, Envy, Alphonse, Gluttony, Scar, and Mae, all of whom have already taken a spine, except Envy and Gluttony, and between those two, who do you think is more likely to get it?

I'm placing all my money on Envy. I also think the "In Memorium" will be dedicated to the souls of Envy's stone.

I wonder what Vol. 14's cover will look like...
Sensenic
QUOTE(Nepharski @ Mar 3 2006, 02:30 AM) [snapback]357398[/snapback]

Well, what Chapters does it cover? Chapters 50-53, right? Father only appears at the end. He is no doubt important, but as he is restricted to the end, it will most likely go to another character (Although Father will most likely take Volume 14).

I agree with you, Envy does seem the most probable.

But, then again, I have this little theory of mine, by which maybe Father could get this volume's spine.
I'll post on this this weekend.

I'm placing all my money on Envy.

wow, I didn't really mean it when I asked what would we bet... tongue.gif

Now, what did you say your bank account number was, again? cool.gif

I wonder what Vol. 14's cover will look like...

Boy, be patient, and enjoy what you already have happy.gif
Ailuro
Wow. He actually has his hood on. mellow.gif
Kirara
What I find most amusing about the cover is I canít recall Ed having the red coat or his hair in a braid for this entire volume.
Jedi28
You question that but not the fact that he has his hood up which he's NEVER done even once? biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif The closest I guess is Al wore the hood up twice in the movie, but that's the movie. biggrin.gif I think it's just meant to look nice, which it does!!
NeoKakashi
QUOTE(Kirara @ Mar 3 2006, 11:16 AM) [snapback]357669[/snapback]

What I find most amusing about the cover is I canít recall Ed having the red coat or his hair in a braid for this entire volume.

In fact, he rarely wears the coat AT ALL anymore. Besides the fight with Scar, he hadn't worn it since they left for Dublith.
Colette
QUOTE(NeoKakashi @ Mar 3 2006, 02:30 PM) [snapback]357718[/snapback]

In fact, he rarely wears the coat AT ALL anymore. Besides the fight with Scar, he hadn't worn it since they left for Dublith.

He looks better without them, I say.
MasterKris
I've been wanting to know, what chapters does vol. 12 contain?
Nepharski
QUOTE(Sensenic @ Mar 3 2006, 12:46 AM) [snapback]357592[/snapback]

1, 2, 3, 4, 5; same as my luggage.
Colette
Somebody watches too much Spaceballs. That's my guess, at least xD
The Great Asparagus
vol. 12's cover was absolutely beautifully fantastically wonderfully AWESOME. and then i saw vol. 13's cover, and i was surprised there was even something better than vol. 12. i had shivering for the next 5 minutes after seeing vol. 13 cuz... it's just so... unexplainably.... un-put-into-words-able-ly.... great.

ed looks soooo hott i couldn't stand it XP and his hood looks really cool too. and oooh... it's volume THIRTEEN happy.gif this is one awesome manga, and arakawa is a heck of a good artist. *sigh*

i even made an avatar =] (but i couldn't think of anything good to write... so it says muahaha XP)
Nepharski
QUOTE(Summoner Colette @ Mar 3 2006, 06:45 PM) [snapback]357815[/snapback]

Never miss a chance to make a relavent Spaceballs referance.
Sensenic
QUOTE(MasterKris @ Mar 4 2006, 02:51 AM) [snapback]357790[/snapback]

46 Distant Backs to 49 The Monster Within

( u_u)/
QUOTE(Nepharski @ Mar 4 2006, 03:24 AM) [snapback]357807[/snapback]

QUOTE(Sensenic @ Mar 3 2006, 12:46 AM) [snapback]357592[/snapback]

1, 2, 3, 4, 5; same as my luggage.

I'll take note.
QUOTE(Nepharski @ Mar 4 2006, 06:13 AM) [snapback]357954[/snapback]

QUOTE(Summoner Colette @ Mar 3 2006, 06:45 PM) [snapback]357815[/snapback]

Never miss a chance to make a relavent Spaceballs referance.

Wait, does this mean I've been fooled? Damn!

Note to self: Watch Spaceballs again someday. Long time i've forgotten... happy.gif
Colette
QUOTE(MasterKris @ Mar 3 2006, 07:51 PM) [snapback]357790[/snapback]

46, 47, 48, and 49, I think. Which is TERRIBLE, because it means that 11 stops right when

[spoiler] Ran Fan gets slashed by Bradley[/spoiler]

Terrible for the people who haven't seen it, at least.
MasterKris
Thank you, Sensenic and Summoner Colette!

I kinda want vol. 12 cause of its cover, the story is kinda at the good place in my option, and THERE'S A LETTER ANSWERING SECTION FROM ARAKAWA-SENSEI IN VOL. 12!

The cover for vol. 13 is..... is.......... JUST SO...... (low on vocabulary) OMG!!
Arakawa-sensei is getting better and better on the covers now!! biggrin.gif
GaluxKitty
I still like Vol 12 better than Vol 13 cover, actually...
Jedi28
I like 13's cover better. It has Ed on it. Yes, I'm kinda simple that way. biggrin.gif
Colette
QUOTE(Jedi28 @ Mar 5 2006, 05:22 PM) [snapback]359153[/snapback]

I like 13's cover better. It has Ed on it. Yes, I'm kinda simple that way. biggrin.gif

12 has Ed's arm in it tongue.gif
Jedi28
Oooooo really?! Kay, I like 12 too! I like 13 better still though cause it's got ALL of Ed, not just his arm! tongue.gif

Anyone think that Ed on 13 kinda looks like Anakin Skywalker? Not in looks obviously but in stance, attitude, type of dress (whole hood thing) and expression?
Doragon-Ryuu
The only cover I can find is teeny as hell though! Doesn't anyone have the picture that size? Since we all agree it's gorgeous as hell (not meaning to imply hell is a pretty place or anything, I'm not like that). This makes me think of the last episode of the all-too-conterversal-hate-love anime, when Hohenheim says there is a small gate in everyone. *.- It's so awesome my eye is twitching... Staying on topic as I can though (12) Ling and Ranfan art's totally awesome as well... I'm waiting until I can get these cheapest before I buy them, though.
Colette
QUOTE(NeoKakashi @ Mar 3 2006, 02:30 PM) [snapback]357718[/snapback]

Didn't he give his coat to Winry after she finished crying? Maybe she kept it?

As to the braid, I hate his hair in a braid. He looks better with it in the same style as his dad.
KittyK
Yep, Ed gave Winry his coat in Vol 12.
He didn't wear it much while at Izumi's, the weather may have been nice down south.
He wore it in Central, but then Armstrong dragged him off without letting him get anything to take.
He wore it again when he got back from Xeres, but we haven't seen it since the Scar/gun incident. Of course, as of chap 57, that was only yesterday manga time smile.gif
It's not missing, yet, although I noticed that no one had it when Ed/Al/Win returned to the hotel, right before they take her to the train.
So it was probably left somewhere in HQ, but like anybody there wouldn't know who it belongs to biggrin.gif
SuperElricBros
QUOTE(Envious... @ Feb 10 2006, 02:22 AM) [snapback]348341[/snapback]
*Note: Did anyone else catch the "Konami code" in ch. 47?

Ok, I give. Where is it?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.