Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Culinary Art
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fanworks > Fanarts
theothersin
Alchemy is like cooking, put the right amount of stuff together and you get something new. But not only is it science, it's a great way to be creative. And it gives the opportunity of my favorite past time, playing with food!

So to avoid paragraphs of my rambling, this is the product of my boredom. FMA food art. Yup, and you get to see it. (feel special.)

I'm working on the science part of getting different recipes to look like FMA characters. And I finally got some of it to work. (kinda) So today I bring you pancakes.

Yup. Pancakes.

------
EDIT: Because I can't get the links to show up, the descriptions are in the same order as the attachments. Trying to fix the duplicate board the attachements here got messed up. So now they aren't in order.
----

The recipe is the same as normal pancakes. Color is just added by mixing food coloring into the batter. I did a lot of experimenting with color pigment to get the right colors. I dyed my hands rainbow in the process... blink.gif The color wasn't that hard compared to getting the pancakes to look like what they were supposed to look like. My first tries weren't that successful.

I forgot to grease the pan and burnt the first attempt for Al. The shape of was really difficult too. But that's nothing compared to what I did to Ed.I couldn't quite control how the color cooked yet. But I got better as I tried. Even if I still messed up on Ed majorly. But you can't say I didn't improve the second time around. I also think I did a decent job with Al the second time.

After I felt satisfied with Ed and Al, I tried something I thought would be harder. But surprisingly it wasn't. And Envy did turn out pretty good...but I lost the mouth when I tried to flip the pancake, and he's headbands a little skewed. I'm satisfied with the first attempt. I like my second better though.

So then I tried something harder. You probably can't tell, but the next one is Winry. The one after was supposed to be Riza but I had some problems...next to Riza is my attempt of a gun. I tried to cut better angles for their face and hair later, it didn't turn out well. 'Specially with Riza. So feeling sad, I tried something I thought would be easier. Gluttony.I tried to make his tongue stick out. I'm not sure if it turned out to well or not.

Eh, I tried. And they tasted decent too. (I had Gluttony and Envy for breakfast..yum.) Something else I want to try is A Roy-shaped cake...I think it would be interesting, don't you? But that's all you get for now. Please comment!
SsleepyAlly
They're actually pretty cool. You did a great job cutting them up, considering they were pancakes. I'd like to eat the Envy one. ^^

What do they taste like?
theothersin
QUOTE(SsleepyAlly @ Feb 5 2006, 07:43 PM) [snapback]347095[/snapback]

They're actually pretty cool. You did a great job cutting them up, considering they were pancakes. I'd like to eat the Envy one. ^^

What do they taste like?

laugh.gif When I read that my mind went blank and I had to go taste one.

Sorta doughy I guess, soft and warm....with a slight buttermilk flavor.
Frozen Ice Alchemist
Considering those are pancakes, their very good! You can actually open a FMA cafe or some sort of thing with those pancakes that you make!!! biggrin.gif I want envy for breakfast/lunch/dinner because he killed Edward in the last episode (sorry for the spoiler for those who haven't seen the whole series.. tongue.gif) Gluttony for eating Edward in the manga!!
Tombow
Gahaha!! Those are great!! biggrin.gif
Since they are pancakes, I'm guessing they would freez well, too.
(In case you'd like to preserve your "artworks.") biggrin.gif
Ed-Al-Win Fan
Thats neat! Never seen nothing like this before, very creative! I love it:)
theothersin
I think this is the most comments I've ever gotten on... anything....wow-ness.

So I started cooking again last night. And it was....a learning experience. I decided to try the Roy Cake idea I talked about earlier . . . . . bad idea learning experience.

Okay, so first of all, white cake, white frosting. I was going to add red food dye to the batter, ya know, Roy's the Flame Alchemist. But I got caught up and forgot to. (I will NEVER multitask when cooking again!) So then I put it in the oven and waited....and waited....and the timer went off. But it wasn't finished cooking yet. So I put it back in. But I turned the stove off before I checked it. So 20 minutes later I figured out why the heck my cake wasn't cooking. So I let it cook, and got the frosting ready. Only...it's really hard to get white frosting black, so it didn't work out and turned a purple-ish color. Then I was re-taught how to frost a cake. And I couldn't get the color right so I had to use a decorating bag to get the frosting decent looking. And of course I was trying to do a chibi Roy, and I'm pretty sure I got it utterly wrong....I'll just show you the end product. You get 2 different views this time.

This took about 2hrs total.
Compared to the pancakes, 5 min per pancake.
Tombow
Gahaha!! I'm totally enjoying reading the report of your culinary-art adventure!!
I think you did nice job!! Yeah, I can see Chibi Roy there. laugh.gif
Any plan to create more FMA characters??? biggrin.gif
theothersin
QUOTE(Tombow @ Feb 9 2006, 01:30 AM) [snapback]348045[/snapback]

Any plan to create more FMA characters??? biggrin.gif

I'm actually trying out which character to do next. I'm working on the idea of Envy smoothie.
Frozen Ice Alchemist
Greatz~ I sooooo wanna take a bite out of Roy... XD
Hey, what about cookies?? Cookies might be easier!
Ed-Al-Win Fan
That Roy one is awesome...too neat!:)
theothersin
Eha! So I'm not a totally hopeless cook! (Though the snickerdoodle suprise cookies would say otherwise.) Thank you all for reviewing, it makes me happy! biggrin.gif

Eh, I'm having some trouble coming up with my next idea. So I'm going to ask you all what you think I should do! I will use the idea of the first one to post a character(s) and a unspecific type of food. I'll take those two and try to come up with something. So the future state of my kitchen is in your hands! Feel special. So now I'll wait and brainstorm.
Cheez_n_ Maeve
ooooooo... those make me hungry. ^^;; You should try it with desert crepes! Or you could use veggies and fruits. Or make them completely out of chocolate and sell them as valentines! Fresh and warm rice crispies treats make great sculpting material, too. Doughnuts would work. You could also make a design and do it on a cake, but beware of the frosting- it needs to be thick like a paste or it'll just fall flat and be ruined. That happened to me and then on top of that my cake flattened too. It sucked. I cried for awhile then i fixed it by swirling the colors and prayed to God that it would taste ok. Oh! You can also try petite fours and put faces on it and if you succeed in making them please come here and show me how to make them right. I always ruin them by turning the fondant into glaze! Don't ask how. I dont get it. But if I find a way of sending food via email will you send one of those delicious pancakes to me?
Tombow
How about cup-cakes?? biggrin.gif
Yeah, Shescka cup-cake!!?? laugh.gif
theothersin
QUOTE(Tombow @ Feb 12 2006, 07:01 AM) [snapback]349089[/snapback]

How about cup-cakes?? biggrin.gif
Yeah, Shescka cup-cake!!?? laugh.gif

Shescka cup-cakes....FMA cupcakes it is then. If I get the time it should be up in a week. First I gotta figure out how to make brown dye...
Ed-Al-Win Fan
Yeah I agree with Tombow, Sheska cupcakes would be a good idea, and yeah getting the brown dye may be the tricky part of it all...but I'm sure there is a way, unless you can try experimenting with some of the dye colors, to get the color....lol
theothersin
I just found out how to get the right color or scheska so hopefully I'll have time to bake cupcakes soon.

But anyway. Today I bring you Ed Bread. It's chala (pronouced with the Jewish throught rasp thing.), a type of braided bread that has alot to do with Jewish culture. It was quite fun to make...though I can't say much on the recipie. My big sis put the ingrediants together and told me what to do. So, yeah. I'll just show you the pics. Some are of regular loaves of bread, and the chibi Ed has multiple shots. He also has the before bake and after bake pics.
Tombow
Gahaha!! I LOVE your Ed bread!! happy.gif
I think it came out great, especially the hair-do!! laugh.gif
And, your Chala loaf looks soooo yammy!!
(I LUUUUV Chala bread French toast made with a bit old Chala loaf!! biggrin.gif )
KiorujiXeroxGurl
WOWW!! Ed's bread! Looks kinda yummy!! Owhh, I wish I can taste some of it!! Must be taste like Ed, ya? HEhehe..

[attachmentid=3818]

Ermm.. Yummy!! Even Shigure agrees with me!! Hehehe!! ITTADA KIMMAS Everyone!! biggrin.gif
Tombow
Any other FMA curinaly creations recently?? biggrin.gif
(Just checking!! happy.gif )
FullmetalMagician
Those are some cool pancakes...
It's making me hungry as well...
*drools*
theothersin
QUOTE(Tombow @ Mar 5 2006, 03:19 AM) [snapback]358905[/snapback]

Any other FMA curinaly creations recently?? biggrin.gif
(Just checking!! happy.gif )

Sorry. None yet. I've been busy taking care of my sick family. ph34r.gif Hope I don't get sick too.

I shouldn't have to much of a hellish week, so I might get the cupcakes up by the weekend.
Tombow
Oh, no, I'm so sorry to hear that your family are sick!!
I hope all your family will get better soon, and hope you don't get sick!!
Please take care!!
(Yeah, the FMA cupcakes can definitely wait. happy.gif)
KiorujiXeroxGurl
Yeah! Me too! I feel sorry for your family and you! Hope they'll get better soon! And hopefully you don't get sick too! You're such a nice person to take care your family heartfully! That's a very responsible thing and a very heavy job! Hope your family will recover soon! smile.gif
Ed-Al-Win Fan
lol Ed bread!
Cool, I like it! Its very cute!:)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.